Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2012 9:44 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I didn't really like the extremely dark atmosphere of this special.
Although Elen had some nice scenes with Lupin and her death was a great conclusion to it all, it felt too much like Lupin not stealing something. Actually I don't think I smiled at all during this... maybe except when Fujiko was nude.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2012 2:28 AM

Aug 2009
Yeah it was pretty dark, but for the most part I didn't mind it. Although I think I see where you're coming from. There were some humor you'd expect with Zenigata earlier, but it's kind of disappointing he took a backseat on this one.

Overall, it's a solid special. It's a classic story of Lupin trying to settle a score and basically providing some closure to his past. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Also, Fujiko wasn't nude enough =P
Jan 4, 2014 3:30 PM

Jun 2010
When something goes on as long as Lupin III has variety is very important so I appreciated how grim this was in comparison to the earlier specials. Lupin can handle being this dark from time to time, though certainly not every time.

The papers through which Zenigata looks while at the villa with his broken legs, rice crackers, and enka are actually inscribed with sensible language about the Tarantulas, unlike the newspaper about his wounding seen earlier in the movie, which seemed to have an excerpt from a news story about economics.

I wouldn't bother mentioning this except that one of the papers indicates that the man seen being stabbed in the head during the Tarantula murder montage was named "Marvelous Donald". This is too amusing not to share.
Jul 4, 2016 3:58 PM

May 2009
Does anyone know where can I watch this? I'm fine with torrents also. :/
Gaming channel just for fun: https://www.youtube.com/cataorshane
Apr 11, 2019 8:57 AM

Oct 2012
As I said, Zenigata is immortal as long as Lupin is alive xD

Not Bomber, I kinda liked that guy

"Kill oneself" That's a cool way to call suicide xD

Damn that engraved Walther looks cooler but "Engravings give you no tactical advantage whatsoever"

Elen is free now
Not even one person from the island survived

This time the background of this movie is unlike the others
It's so dark, hard to see anything
Usually it's bright with colors, but it matches the atmosphere

I like this kind of Lupin, I want a happy ending though :(
"Signature removed"
Jul 7, 2019 6:49 AM

Sep 2011
This is one of my favorites. Lupin was betrayed by his first partner long ago, but finally had the chance to settle the score after his former partner needed to use him for his own ends again. He certainly was a low, and despicable villain. Besides trying to use Lupin, he also took advantage of the dream of freedom that those poor people, who were sick of killing, had. Even Tarantulas' boss was used by him.

Thankfully Fujiko realized in time that something was wrong, and was able to escape alive together with Jigen and Goemon, but Bomber and the others died. Even Elen ultimately died by Lupin's former partner's hand, having experienced only a taste of freedom, unable to run away from her past, let alone break free from it. It was really poignant, and plain sad. But in a way she is finally free. After "living" like that she realized that life by itself has little value if you are no more than a prisoner with no prospects. She died, but she died fighting for her freedom, for a chance to live.

On the light side of things, I loved how Zenigata pretty much came back to life at the mention of Lupin's name, only to have both of his legs broken by his new assistant. lol The poor guy can't catch a break, but at least thanks to Lupin he was able to expose the existence of that island.
Nov 1, 2021 4:04 AM
Apr 2015
So Lupin and Fujiko are going to have to constantly live with those tattoos? How did they get them off? If they did? In any case, Lupin doesn't have to worry anymore about the fact that Japan wants him executed.

By the way, in some shots Lupin doesn't look like himself. He sure picked a lousy mask to wear in this special.
SourNote2014Nov 1, 2021 4:51 AM
Nov 1, 2021 6:31 AM
Apr 2015
It's uncharacteristic that Jigen wasn't worried at the end, considering all the times he's freaked out, silently and otherwise, whenever it seemed like Lupin has gotten killed or was close to death.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.