Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Persona 4
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 24, 2011 6:48 AM

Nov 2010
I wish the same music as the fight in episode one was used in this episode again but it was nice.
4.5/5 for the episode
Dec 24, 2011 11:30 AM

Jul 2011
That was an awesome episode. How far into the game is this episode?
Dec 24, 2011 11:52 AM

Oct 2008
my face while watching this episode: DAFUQ WAS THAT I CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE WHAT WAS MY FACE LIKE
Dec 24, 2011 1:27 PM

Dec 2010
mdz said:

Pretty damn far considering they just hit 12. If they keep going at this rate the anime will be over around 17. But if they do all the endings (bad, normal, true) then I can see that being 20+ episodes.

Disappointed the dungeon was over so quickly. 8-bit ftw.
Dec 24, 2011 2:24 PM

Mar 2008
One word: rushed. Like mad. That was really disappointing. Yuu being engulfed my Shadow Mitsuo's powers, no more friends blablablah, so damn annoying and useless... :(

Good thing the battle in the end saved the episode. At least next episode, looks fun, 3 new SL in one episode ^^ Sayoko! <3
Dec 24, 2011 5:34 PM

Jun 2011
Enjoyable ep, even though I had no clue wtf was happening. Super rushed ep :S

4/5

I really thought it was the final ep lmao.

Stalker Face lmao.
Dec 24, 2011 6:32 PM
Nov 2010
I kinda feel like I was trolled, but then again I did imagine everything was some sort of illusion.
Dec 24, 2011 10:09 PM

Mar 2011
I want to try Yu's omelet.
Dec 24, 2011 10:24 PM
Jun 2011
You know, as one of the viewers who've never played the game, I understand that I won't understand the details as well as someone who's played the game. I kind of go with the flow about the whole TV thing, the whole Persona thing, and whatnot - it's a little confusing, but the anime does an OK job of explaining what's going on. Then I watched today's episode and I was just completely lost. Where did all those Personas come from? What the heck was the point of spamming all of them? Why were we never introduced to the majority of those Persona before this episode? I thought the entire battle scene was terrible because of these unanswered questions. This anime needs to seriously explain how the rules work. On a side note, I thought Kuma fighting by himself was hilarious.
Dec 25, 2011 12:16 AM

May 2010
anotherAzn said:
You know, as one of the viewers who've never played the game, I understand that I won't understand the details as well as someone who's played the game. I kind of go with the flow about the whole TV thing, the whole Persona thing, and whatnot - it's a little confusing, but the anime does an OK job of explaining what's going on. Then I watched today's episode and I was just completely lost. Where did all those Personas come from? What the heck was the point of spamming all of them? Why were we never introduced to the majority of those Persona before this episode? I thought the entire battle scene was terrible because of these unanswered questions. This anime needs to seriously explain how the rules work. On a side note, I thought Kuma fighting by himself was hilarious.

Well, every time Yu gains a new arcana, he gains a new persona. Meaning, every time he makes a bond with someone, he awakens to a new persona, since he's the "wild card". During the ending song, you can see all the Arcanas he's earned, or what he gained from that episode.

Example:
He's originally the fool Arcana: Izanagi.
Magician(Yosuke bond): Pyro Jack
Chariot(Chie bond): Ara Mitama
Strength(Kou/Daisuke bond): Rakshasa
Moon(Ai bond - fusion): Orochi
Priestess(Yukiko bond): High Pixie
Emperor(Kanji bond): King Frost
Hangedman(Saki's little brother,Naoki bond): Makami
Lovers(Rise bond): Leanan Sidhe
We are yet to see the Star Arcana persona he has.

It was explained during the Velvet Room scenes. Every time he makes a new bond, his "powers grow". Therefore, that's where all these persona's came from. Wasn't introduced before, as the last few episodes didn't require him to use em'. Sure, he could have used one against Shadow Teddie, but it was essential to show Rise's role and have Teddie face himself alone, not everything requires Narukami's persona change, but I understand that this all can be confusing, which is why, I myself, rewatch the episodes from time to time, even though I've played the game.

He spammed them as the Shadow was resisting some of the moves, shown when the shadow put up a wall of some sorts.
RealScreamerDec 25, 2011 12:20 AM
Dec 25, 2011 12:55 AM

Nov 2011
RealScreamer said:
anotherAzn said:

Well, every time Yu gains a new arcana, he gains a new persona. Meaning, every time he makes a bond with someone, he awakens to a new persona, since he's the "wild card". During the ending song, you can see all the Arcanas he's earned, or what he gained from that episode.

It was explained during the Velvet Room scenes. Every time he makes a new bond, his "powers grow". Therefore, that's where all these persona's came from. Wasn't introduced before, as the last few episodes didn't require him to use em'. Sure, he could have used one against Shadow Teddie, but it was essential to show Rise's role and have Teddie face himself alone, not everything requires Narukami's persona change, but I understand that this all can be confusing, which is why, I myself, rewatch the episodes from time to time, even though I've played the game.

He spammed them as the Shadow was resisting some of the moves, shown when the shadow put up a wall of some sorts.

yep you nailed it pretty well... I never played the game but they really explained how the persona work during the velvet room segment except for the persona that shown in this ep... thanks realscreamer for clearing that up

Idk if that minor detail was ever explained in the game....My wild guess would be when they become unconscious after receiving the Arcana – they get the information when the persona becomes one with the user

this ep really fooled me with that abrupt transition... My mind went "is that it?"
It caught me off-guard... well played aic asta
I knew something wrong when they never shown the shadow evolved, the team started to act OOC, they skip so many days & Yuu’s status all showed up blank

Yuu's persona spamming really spectacular & the ommelette rice scene kinda rushed a bit... the pinky swear at the end is very cute..
Dec 25, 2011 2:42 AM

Jan 2008
I fanboygasmed pretty hard when Leanan Sidhe got called out. She was always one of my favorites as far as design and background in pretty much all SMT games she's been in.

Great episode. I absolutely adore the additions the anime has made.

I also love seeing Yosuke and MC call each other by first names finally. This significance was lost in the English dub of the game, which is what I played.
Dec 25, 2011 8:41 AM

May 2010
The animation on their faces was really derpy in this episode. XD
Dec 25, 2011 11:16 AM

Jan 2011
wowowowow ....
That was the depressing moment when I thought It would end AHAHAH! I'm glad I watched 'till the end XDD

Dec 25, 2011 4:23 PM
Jul 2018
nice time twist. might play the game after the anime
Dec 25, 2011 6:27 PM
Jun 2009
The feeble attempt to put some more character on Yu as to make him feel sad because the case is getting solved, or his fear of losing his friends as if the bonds were only because the investigation team ( he seems to ignore everything igor and margareth tells him! ) didn't do it for me , perhaps because, aside some funny moments I find Yu pretty dull compared to the cool main char I had envisioned while playing the game. Also animation was really, reeeeaaaally poor on this one, else the battle could've been awesome, perhaps, worst episode so far imo.
Kite0207Dec 25, 2011 6:44 PM
Dec 25, 2011 6:36 PM

Jul 2011
I was expecting this to be the end but I guess things are still going to happen in this anime. Didn't like this episode that much. I kind of thought it was going to be like Haruhi Suzumiya and have part of the summer repeat over and over (since Yu ended up planning a celebratory party twice).
previously UnhappyRefrain - non-binary - they/them - California
Tumblr - Twitter - Youtube - DeviantArt
old sig
Dec 26, 2011 7:20 AM

Oct 2009
shadowtsunami said:
It was an ok ep, the pacing is way too choppy, I bet most people got lost when he went outside to the normal world in the middle of a battle.

Yeah that confused the hell out of me.

Im looking forward to next ep. A S.Link ep. I saw Hermit, Tower,Devil and Death Maybe Temperance too.
Anime, Food and Sleep Who needs anything more!
Dec 26, 2011 3:02 PM

Jun 2011
I finally got a chance to watch it yesterday, and I'm officially back from vacation, it's so nice to have an awesome Internet connection for a change.

Ugh, I dunno what to say about this episode. Everything was just WTF to me. Animation quality really jumped out at me, as in it was REALLY horrible. Worst episode of the season animation-quality wise, just atrocious. I felt like I was watching kids' drawings half the time. If the BD release looks anywhere near this bad I probably won't even bother with the R1 release, let alone importing it. >:

Then there was the whole Yuu despairing and the anime looking like it was headed for a bad ending about halfway through the episode. I understand what they were going for after watching the whole episode, but it IMO was very badly done. I just felt like they were trolling me the first half of the episode, and it rubbed me the wrong way. Sorry. :(

On the other hand, the second half with the rice omelette cooking was pretty well done. They even included the lines of Yukiko's 'crush you with one strike' and Teddie's blunt 'wow, this is awful!', not to mention Yukiko's 'Yeah, this is bad! Hahahaha!' (to Chie's omelette) comments from the game. It was pretty funny, and I laughed hard when Nanako kept saying it was bland, spicy, etc... 'but it's still good!', but tells everyone 'Big Bro's' is the best she's ever had. I'm pretty much convinced now that Nanako absolutely has no taste buds whatsoever. :D

If the first half had been better, and the animation quality hadn't been total crap, I might've given this a higher rating, but considering how much I liked Shadow Mitsuo's dungeon, and the fact that they showed next to nothing of said dungeon, pretty much nearly killed it for me. So worst episode of the season since Episode 1. 3/5 and 6.5/10 is my score for it. Half a point awarded for the omelette scene.

Sayoko in the next episode? YES PLEASE. :) I don't care about the other non-school S.Links, although I'm surprised they're doing an episode about them. Gotta fill up those 25 episodes somehow.
Dec 26, 2011 5:14 PM

Nov 2009
So confusing at about 6 minutes, but when you finally figured out what was going on it made the confusion worth it...

I really liked how they did this episode, and the arc feels "complete" and hopefully the next arc will be just as exciting.
Dec 27, 2011 1:13 PM

Feb 2010
Otsdarva said:
mdz said:

Pretty damn far considering they just hit 12. If they keep going at this rate the anime will be over around 17. But if they do all the endings (bad, normal, true) then I can see that being 20+ episodes.

No it wont really end at 17 , we still have some more dungeons.

Arent we halfway of the game? when was that igor came and said "you are at half of your journey bla bla bla"?

Anyway GOOD EPISODE i was like WTF during the ilusion.

lol at kuma battling alone.

I kinda dislike we gonna have 2 social links episodes in a row , but the awesomeness start after that.
VanisherDec 27, 2011 1:23 PM
Dec 28, 2011 2:12 PM
Oct 2010
Fun episode, although it would have been nice to see a little more into Mitsuo's empty heart. Nanako was adorable as always! ^.^

I was wondering, did anyone else notice the "mysterious detective, Loveline" line in the preview? Was anything like that in the game? I can't seem to recall anything along those lines... Hope this doesn't mean filler's up ahead.
Dec 29, 2011 6:19 PM

Feb 2009
chichiri-chan said:
Fun episode, although it would have been nice to see a little more into Mitsuo's empty heart. Nanako was adorable as always! ^.^

I was wondering, did anyone else notice the "mysterious detective, Loveline" line in the preview? Was anything like that in the game? I can't seem to recall anything along those lines... Hope this doesn't mean filler's up ahead.

They're already adapting a 60+ hour game (well, to be fair a lot of that is combat, but there's still a lot of content, easily more than would fit in a normal 24 or 26 episode series) so while I can forgive them for cutting some parts, if they do that just to stuff in a bunch of filler it would totally ruin an already shaky adaptation. So far it's been decently adapted and the only thing to really complain about is the terrible quality on a technical level (bad animation everywhere, using photoshopped stills of stuff in place of background art which probably couldn't be drawn in time, some people might say pacing, but I think rushed pacing was always inevitable to a degree) but filler would just make no sense unless someone's decided they don't care anymore and want to stick their fanfiction into the story or something.
Dec 29, 2011 7:03 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Time for the eight trap party member!

Then, it will be followed by some Steins;Gates level mindfuck.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 29, 2011 10:05 PM

Jul 2009
chichiri-chan said:

I have a feeling that the next episode is the studio's way to integrate the multiple social links from Nanako's point of view. It won't go into those social links into detail sadly but will provide a nice fanservice to the p4 fans.
Dec 30, 2011 9:27 AM
Oct 2010
jeroz said:
I have a feeling that the next episode is the studio's way to integrate the multiple social links from Nanako's point of view. It won't go into those social links into detail sadly but will provide a nice fanservice to the p4 fans.

I hope you're right and that's all it is...

Minus the animation at some parts, I've been overall pretty happy with the anime. Hopefully they won't let us down right at the start of the new year.
Dec 30, 2011 8:27 PM

Aug 2010
It's probably been said for countless times, but I'll say it to go along with the trend: this episode was bizarre. The entire time, it felt like this was going to be the last episode of P4A. They could've done a better job of leniency of transitioning Yuu to the mind warp world, because starting from that point, I lost all excitement of the episode.

It even made it more like an end with Yuu continuously using all of his Personas to attack the boss while the other just stay put. Then it ended on a somewhat trying-to-be-happy event where everything is just fine. It still put me into lost hope thinking, "IS THIS THE END?!"

In any case, I'll be hoping to see more of the series events with the next episodes. Just waiting till I get my hands on the Vita and P4GA to finally get started on playing this plot... ~__~
Dec 31, 2011 1:43 AM

Jul 2009
GigaSPX said:
It's probably been said for countless times, but I'll say it to go along with the trend: this episode was bizarre. The entire time, it felt like this was going to be the last episode of P4A. They could've done a better job of leniency of transitioning Yuu to the mind warp world, because starting from that point, I lost all excitement of the episode.

It even made it more like an end with Yuu continuously using all of his Personas to attack the boss while the other just stay put. Then it ended on a somewhat trying-to-be-happy event where everything is just fine. It still put me into lost hope thinking, "IS THIS THE END?!"

In any case, I'll be hoping to see more of the series events with the next episodes. Just waiting till I get my hands on the Vita and P4GA to finally get started on playing this plot... ~__~

If you had been paying attention to the ED scene, you'd notice that Yuu has been slowly building his social link "pokedex" from ep1 and he's only roughly half way through at the moment. It's a great indication as to where we are in terms of story. He's gonna catch'em all.

Think this is also what happened in the game, if you believe that Kudo is the killer then you just go into a terrible Bad End and that's it. Then you load and redo the whole scene again :P
Dec 31, 2011 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't hate the episode but I felt the execution of the mindfuckery could have been better, yes.

The pacing for the past few episodes have been...off, for lack of a better word. I really hope the next ones will be better (and we'll get True End heh, none of that Good End or Bad End but I expect more Bad End mindfuckery in the upcoming episodes) and be a worthy adaption of the video game.
Dec 31, 2011 10:02 PM

Aug 2010
jeroz said:
GigaSPX said:

If you had been paying attention to the ED scene, you'd notice that Yuu has been slowly building his social link "pokedex" from ep1 and he's only roughly half way through at the moment. It's a great indication as to where we are in terms of story. He's gonna catch'em all.

Think this is also what happened in the game, if you believe that Kudo is the killer then you just go into a terrible Bad End and that's it. Then you load and redo the whole scene again :P
Yeah, I know he's been building his Souldex as seen in the ED scenes. It's even explained at times when introducing the ep with the Velvet Room.

I know, I really thought they were going to end the series fast on an end note. That's what blew my mind throughout the episode.
Jan 2, 2012 3:46 AM

Sep 2011
The plot twist was actually pretty good add, since it was really confusing and WTF.

Also, Yu summoning all the Personas was epic scene. I love how also Teddie just fought alone the Shadows.

Then again, the Teddie's and Nanako's pinky swear was also cute.

Overvall, this episode was really good. Waitin' for the next episode, moar social links :D
>tfw Youtube can't let me have nice things

Jan 3, 2012 5:59 AM

Dec 2010
Vanisher said:
Lauriet said:
mdz said:

No it wont really end at 17 , we still have some more dungeons.

Arent we halfway of the game? when was that igor came and said "you are at half of your journey bla bla bla"?

Anyway GOOD EPISODE i was like WTF during the ilusion.

lol at kuma battling alone.

I kinda dislike we gonna have 2 social links episodes in a row , but the awesomeness start after that.

I said if they cover all the endings, it'd possibly extend 26 eps. The 17 episode portion of what I said was just a muse, disregard since it wasn't too serious or critical.

Also yeah, Igor should be coming in and saying that the easy way out is possible but you'd have to actively look for the actual truth. Or did he do that previously? Haven't played the game in so long....

Also yes, I know about the few dungeons. I'm looking forward to the laboratory the most.
Jan 5, 2012 2:56 PM
Mar 2009
What? I hope what Igor said about the story reaching its climax isn't true...

Ahahahaha, what the hell? Kuma's such a pimp.

Holy crap. What's with all these time skips? It's a like a depressing montage that's hypocritical to the whole, "Bonds of people is the true power."

Wait...what? It was all...MINDFUCK! Damn, I didn't see that at all. I do wish Yuu had a Shadow of his own. Would be interesting.

I wish they would explain where and how Yuu got all those Personas. Cause, holy fuck, he's got a lot of them.

Wow, that was a fast school year; two years done already. Next episode looks like another summer vacation episode.
Jan 7, 2012 12:14 AM

Nov 2009
So touching. What a great episode x)
Jan 7, 2012 5:20 AM
Oct 2010
Thought the series was trying to deviate from the game and be interesting, but unfortunately no... It was all a dream...

Well, at least we can get back to S. Link episodes, I really did like the Sports S. Links episode with the gang interacting with the minor characters (as opposed to only MC interaction in the game). I know the gang interactions are really insignificant and don't get further development (Yosuke makes a joking remark to the basketball guy, Chie fighting with the brat girl), but at least it's SOMETHING to differentiate this from the game...
a1Jan 7, 2012 5:24 AM
Jan 7, 2012 5:37 AM

Jul 2009
ChronosXIII said:
I wish they would explain where and how Yuu got all those Personas. Cause, holy fuck, he's got a lot of them.

They explained at the beginning of each episode. Each friendship Yuu gets into, e.g. Yosuke, Chie, the soccer guy, ...etc, he gets a new persona. If you had been keeping count of those social links Margaret mentioned at the start of each ep, then you can correspond them to the ones he send out

ChronosXIII said:
Wow, that was a fast school year; two years done already. Next episode looks like another summer vacation episode.

That's only 1 semester done. Yuu's only there for one year, which is why he often looks down whenever the topic of "let's do that next year" is brought up. It's also a huge factor why he's so insecure about his bond with others here since he can't really hang out with them much afterwards.
Jan 7, 2012 1:45 PM

Apr 2011
WTF did I just watch?
Jan 9, 2012 12:46 AM
Sep 2008
Awww shit, that episode blew my brain right open in the nightmare segment.

Thank god we finally got an episode actually devoted to developing Yu as a character. It wasn't necessarily anything life-changing, but at least it showed that he does have some degree of self-doubt. And the ending fight with him snapping back into action was just 50 gallons of awesome.

Also, now I'm feeling guilty about all the friends I haven't made time for recently. Stupid cartoon, making me pause to reflect on my life and teaching me morals n' crap.
Jan 9, 2012 11:30 AM

Jun 2010
ah naked baby...scary thing
"Bonds of people is the true power".....always remember that or you're forever alone and fail to summon PERSONA~! xD
Jan 13, 2012 1:10 AM

Mar 2010
Wahh~! My Persona! I remember having all of them!C': How nostalgic~♥
Weird, episode was reallyy weirdd....
End? No... Explanations? No...Had to go back and analyze ? ...Yes.

Gotta love that yaoi bit though, damn!♥

Jan 13, 2012 6:31 PM

Nov 2007
I thought I missed something with the skip/illusion whatever in the middle.

holy fuck he just brought out a buncha personas, nobody else even has more than 1.

wow Nanko will eat anything.

as someone that knows nothing about the game this has gotten rather good.
Jan 13, 2012 11:38 PM

Oct 2010
Did I... miss something? Or was that an illusion? @_@

Ahh, now I'm craving for Omurice. ;A;
[insert awesome signature here]
Feb 15, 2012 1:02 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, this is some of the worst writing I've seen in a long time. I'd be surprised if anybody new to the series understands what the fuck is going on.
Feb 24, 2012 10:49 AM

Jun 2008
lolwow this episode made me notice something.

Only close-up scenes actually have detailed art and animation. Those distance shots are awful, maybe even below average. This episode especially. The animation seemed way off, even some close-up scenes was bad.

Veronin said:
Wow, this is some of the worst writing I've seen in a long time. I'd be surprised if anybody new to the series understands what the fuck is going on.
Actually I was pretty damn confused even though I played the game twice. That transition from the initial fight to normal life was awful. Like many I thought they actually skipped an entire episode or something.

They had the right idea in mind, but what a lousy transition.
Mar 3, 2012 3:35 AM

Jul 2009
"You never really remember the beginning of a dream, do you?"
jerozMar 3, 2012 3:38 AM
Mar 3, 2012 11:20 PM

Aug 2010
I gotta admit the pacing at the beginning was terrible and confusing, but we got that badass display at the end in exchange :D
Overall I think this would have been the greatest episode so far if it weren't for that weird pacing
Mar 4, 2012 3:18 PM

Jul 2009
seriously, if they showed the that it's all an illusion at the start of it, it will lose all effectiveness since you know it's not real. It was suppose to be abrupt and jarring going into the dream sequence otherwise it won't work.

The lingering sense of "something is wrong here but I don't know what" is what makes that sequence so great, because that's exactly how Yuu feels during that sequence. It's not a pacing issue if it's done deliberately and able to enhance the whole episode.
Mar 29, 2012 11:56 AM
Aug 2007
I wish they'd use more of the dungeon theme, i nostalgia'd a bit hearing the Video Game dungeon music, but then it only lasted for like 10 seconds so it was a bit disappointing..
Jun 12, 2012 9:02 AM

Sep 2011
LOL at Yuu's OP number of persona's.
Jul 21, 2012 12:53 AM

Jan 2012
I got so confused in the middle of the episode, I thought that I randomly clicked next on to a different episode.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 5, 2012

105 by zodismegalame »»
Jan 27, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

72 by NN010 »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2012

112 by NN010 »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

120 by Delphantasist »»
Nov 3, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dr_Funkadelic - Mar 30, 2012

186 by DarkCanuck »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.