Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 14, 2011 5:35 PM

Aug 2010
Personally, I find him extremely boring. He does surprisingly little to contribute to the events of the show (besides being the reason the SOS Brigade exists) and I really don't like his personality. I'm also bothered by his lack of intelligence... I just can't relate with him at all. He's my second least favorite character (Mikuru being my least favorite).

So why is Kyon so popular?
Nov 14, 2011 5:44 PM

Dec 2010
He's actually fairly intelligent for a normal human.

That and he's a snarky douchebag. Glorious.

His thought process is fairly realistic.
Nov 14, 2011 5:57 PM

Feb 2009
Pretty much what notsureifsrs said.

He's a snarky commentator, which is always awesome, and generally his monolouges and thoughts match what the viewer is thinking. Not to mention that he develops a lot over the series and especially in the films. He's a realistic character and I don't find him unintelligent.
Nov 14, 2011 6:02 PM

Mar 2011
Kyon.is.own.
Nov 14, 2011 6:04 PM

Jun 2009
Kyon is another Gin-chan!
not only seiyuu, their personality kinda similar...
Nov 15, 2011 12:55 AM

Aug 2010
I don't know. Maybe I just expect too much of people in terms of intelligence. He may be kind of dumb compared to what I hope for, but I guess he's just average (like he was designed to be).

It's still true, however, that I can't relate to him. If everyone else can, then I guess that would explain why so many people like him. I honestly relate much more heavily to Yuki, and that's precisely why she's not only my favorite in the series, but my favorite anime character ever (though on an unrelated note I didn't like how she was portrayed in The Disappearance very much).

IZUMI64 said:
Kyon is another Gin-chan!
not only seiyuu, their personality kinda similar...

Who? I'm afraid you lost me there.

Edefrem said:
Kyon.is.own.

That doesn't nearly answer the question.
Nov 15, 2011 12:58 AM

Nov 2009
his personality is simply appealing to the audience, and maybe because ppl unconsciously relate to him cuz hes the only normal person there?

Nov 15, 2011 1:32 AM
Mar 2011
cuase in school anime you dont get pople og is style as main charcter

but on the other hand i wouold have like him to be a narrator only in anime form cause the facvt is no mater Eng or JP he is Flat and lifeless
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 15, 2011 1:37 AM

Mar 2009
He has interesting thoughts and he's funny in his own way.
Nov 15, 2011 2:13 AM

Sep 2010
First, he is a likeable character. Being likeable doesn't have anything to do with his intelligence or anyone else's intelligence.

Secondly, he is damn funny. Even though he is a typical high school student his quick wit and snarly remarks makes him come off as a little more intelligent than average.

Nov 15, 2011 2:19 AM
Nov 2011
HA! What did you expect? Well, first of all, he's the only normal one in the group. Don't tell me you're like Haruhi and keep on pressing chicks' boobs for the show; the same way you're not like the others. The only one people can relate to is Kyon, therefore. And hey, he is intelligent. He's likable, too. The only part I don't like about him is that he has a liking for Mikuru when he can do the same with Haruhi, who of course is a much better candidate. Mikuru is too stupid to be Kyon's type, therefore Kyon would be better off with Haruhi.
Nov 15, 2011 11:47 AM

Apr 2011
My question would be why everyone likes Haruhi so much. Kyon is cool and has moral. :)
Dec 28, 2011 11:29 AM

Sep 2011
ProdiGene said:
HA! What did you expect? Well, first of all, he's the only normal one in the group. Don't tell me you're like Haruhi and keep on pressing chicks' boobs for the show; the same way you're not like the others. The only one people can relate to is Kyon, therefore. And hey, he is intelligent. He's likable, too. The only part I don't like about him is that he has a liking for Mikuru when he can do the same with Haruhi, who of course is a much better candidate. Mikuru is too stupid to be Kyon's type, therefore Kyon would be better off with Haruhi.

Mikuru is the type of character fine in real life, but you cannot stand when looking at in a show. I personally like Yuki......
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Dec 28, 2011 11:37 AM
Nov 2010
For me he started off well in the beginning, but in the end I don't like him.
Dec 28, 2011 11:46 AM

Dec 2011
I don't want to spoil it for you.

Dec 30, 2011 12:28 AM
Jun 2009
phnsr said:

you're so edgy.
Mar 22, 2012 4:57 AM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
First, he is a likeable character. Being likeable doesn't have anything to do with his intelligence or anyone else's intelligence.

Secondly, he is damn funny. Even though he is a typical high school student his quick wit and snarly remarks makes him come off as a little more intelligent than average.

This and that characters who do ironic remarks are usually quite praised in comedy.
Mar 24, 2012 4:33 AM

Mar 2011
Because he's like me.

A bookworm slacker who would rather live a simple life than have some burden, but still have to face a huge burden that is Haruhi.

That's me. I want to live the simple life, and yet i have to deal with several annoying things. It's normal.
Apr 15, 2012 6:28 PM

Apr 2012
phnsr said:

What's wrong with liking Haruhi D: In all honesty she's everything I could want in a female XD
Apr 17, 2012 1:47 PM
Feb 2012
YoTenshi said:
In all honesty she's everything I could want in a female XD

I totally agree with this statement.
Apr 22, 2012 3:39 AM
Nov 2010
He's pretty normal and realistic, unlike the other characters in the show(I'm not saying they're bad or whatever)...
He's also the male lead of the show and the narrator of the story(his narrating is quite interesting)...
There you go...
Apr 22, 2012 3:41 AM

Oct 2009
Because his narration.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2012 4:00 AM

Nov 2011
Just like some others have said he's about as normal and realistic as it gets.
Of course he has his great narration, is pretty intelligent, funny and is pretty much just a normal guy like you and me. He gets frustrated, annoyed, happy and isn't your generic perfect guy. Hell he even tries to hit Haruhi out of anger from her acting like a bitch! He has his flaws and actually looks like a normal male instead of being a pretty boy like in a ton of other high school based animes.

Honestly I love having a Kyon type character in the school animes I've watched more than any other type of character. Sorry if he seems boring to you but I find having a real down to Earth character fantastic. We all have our own tastes though.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 27, 2013 11:10 AM
Jan 2011
GodlyKyon said:
ProdiGene said:

Mikuru is the type of character fine in real life, but you cannot stand when looking at in a show. I personally like Yuki......

People like that aren't fine in real life. I've known a chick like that and the whole shy crap is like pulling teeth.
Nov 6, 2013 1:50 AM

Feb 2012
Because if you looked past everything that's stated, you would realize Kyon is the real god and Haruhi is just a puppet to look like the god of the world, so Kyon won't realize it he's the real one being observed, after all: (light novel spoilers)

actually I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm half asleep so no one take me seriously xD
Nov 6, 2013 2:15 AM

Dec 2012
In a series full of weird characters and extraordinary things, he stood out the most because he was the normal one. Plus his toughs that we here throughout the show are very funny and even awesome sometimes.
"Relying on someone, helping each other out, and supporting each other. Most would say that's the right thing to do. However, that's just idealistic. In reality, someone always gets the short end of the stick"

http://p1.i.ntere.st/3b9596c6911c1c6844478fe7ace4e887_480.jpg

Nov 6, 2013 2:40 AM

Aug 2009
smilewolfy said:
Because if you looked past everything that's stated, you would realize Kyon is the real god and Haruhi is just a puppet to look like the god of the world, so Kyon won't realize it he's the real one being observed, after all: (light novel spoilers)

actually I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm half asleep so no one take me seriously xD

The theory that he is the "god" existed before Sasaki made an appearance but thats a nice way to put it too.
------------------------
Those that watched the anime,even without reading the LN, and still think that he isnt intelligent probably dont know what intelligence is.
Throughout both the anime and LN Kyon describes himself as a normal human and a average student.

Then he became a
and especially in the LN his knowledge is above that of an average student.

And you like the original Yuki,who is not human,not realistic and barely has anything to say,AND WHEN SHE DOES you say you didnt like her?
spiderexpert said:
phnsr said:

you're so edgy.

Classic "everything about this series sucks" reply.
Nov 6, 2013 2:44 AM

Jan 2009
Kyon is the narrator of the show so you either like him or hate him
Nov 6, 2013 2:47 AM

Feb 2012
ssjokg said:
smilewolfy said:

The theory that he is the "god" existed before Sasaki made an appearance but thats a nice way to put it too.

oh i see, I never really looked around the net that much when I watched Haruhi, though I did hear about some people saying Kyon was the key to locking Haruhi's powers, but never that he was the real god *A*
Nov 6, 2013 2:50 AM

Dec 2012
notsureifsrs said:
He's actually fairly intelligent for a normal human.

That and he's a snarky douchebag. Glorious.

His thought process is fairly realistic.

He's a good character

spiderexpert said:
phnsr said:

you're so edgy.

Really wish I was as cool and edgy
Nov 6, 2013 2:55 AM

Aug 2009
smilewolfy said:
ssjokg said:
smilewolfy said:

oh i see, I never really looked around the net that much when I watched Haruhi, though I did hear about some people saying Kyon was the key to locking Haruhi's powers, but never that he was the real god *A*

Well key to her powers and god is the same thing if you think about it.
Now we just have to wait and see if he indeed is all that.
Nov 6, 2013 3:00 AM

Feb 2012
more like, wait and see if Tanigawa actually bothers to write anything new >.>
Nov 6, 2013 3:11 AM

Aug 2009
smilewolfy said:

Well he isnt writing a simple love comedy or a simple sci fi.As long as they are good I dont mind waiting.
Nov 6, 2013 3:16 AM

Feb 2012
ssjokg said:
smilewolfy said:

Well he isnt writing a simple love comedy or a simple sci fi.As long as they are good I dont mind waiting.

yeah you've got a point there ^_^ Novels 10 and 11, I say, were worth the 4 year wait (even though I only got into haruhi a year before they came out, still think they were worth the wait)

hopefully he does something with
Nov 6, 2013 3:18 AM
Aug 2012
Yeah I find him boring as well. I honestly couldn't see what Haruhi saw that made her fall for him, not that I like Haruhi
Maybe cause I can hardly relate to him.
Nov 6, 2013 3:22 AM

Jun 2012
ssjokg said:
smilewolfy said:

+
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Nov 24, 2013 5:02 AM

Nov 2010
The question you should be asking is why Haruhi is liked by so many people. Seriously Haruhi is just a selfish, arrogant brat that just do what she wants without consenting other's around her. I really dislike her character and without Kyon talking 80% of the time I would have dropped this show already. Without him it will be boring as fuck and be annoyed by Haruhi.
Nov 24, 2013 5:12 AM

Aug 2009
venomx924 said:
The question you should be asking is why Haruhi is liked by so many people. Seriously Haruhi is just a selfish, arrogant brat that just do what she wants without consenting other's around her. I really dislike her character and without Kyon talking 80% of the time I would have dropped this show already. Without him it will be boring as fuck and be annoyed by Haruhi.

Like when she

Even without that it is already shown in the anime that she has changed.
Nov 25, 2013 8:11 PM

Feb 2012
ssjokg said:
venomx924 said:

Like when she

Even without that it is already shown in the anime that she has changed.

yep, she asked everyone if they were not busy in the movie, instead of ordering them around :3 but it's too bad, i think hers, and everyone elses characters really start changing after the disappearance, too bad anime only viewers can't see that, yet~
Jan 9, 2014 12:59 AM

Oct 2013
i dont like kyon personality too, so im agree with your part on it, but i cant say he is unintelligent for a 15-16 year old boys going to the lyceen
Jan 9, 2014 7:12 AM
Jun 2012
Keetriver said:
I honestly couldn't see what Haruhi saw that made her fall for him...
Then you're not paying attention. Then again, you don't have to if you don't want to. But the answer to that is there, in the show, if you felt like looking for it a bit.

ssjokg said:
...it is already shown in the anime that she has changed.
Thank you. I've noticed that some people don't seem to care much for character growth.

-Arvis
Jan 25, 2014 2:12 AM

Oct 2009
I like Kyon, though he's my second favorite character in the show( my top favourite being Nagato).
I guess part of his charm as a character is that he subverts the 'ordinary' high school student trope with his astuteness and snarkiness, which kinda makes him 'not ordinary'.

I was honestly quite surprised that Kyon's popularity in MAL actually surpassed Nagato's when I checked days ago. I was certain that Nagato was much more popular than Kyon in MAL 1-2 years ago. I'm definitely intrigued by his rise in popularity.
Jan 28, 2014 4:50 AM

Jun 2011
Actually because hes the most mysterious one there. I mean literally look at his "name" its Kyon and NO ONE questions it.

Feb 16, 2014 6:21 AM

May 2013
I enjoy his blunt commentary on pretty much everything.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 17, 2014 6:03 PM
Mar 2012
RockRichard said:
Personally, I find him extremely boring. He does surprisingly little to contribute to the events of the show (besides being the reason the SOS Brigade exists) and I really don't like his personality. I'm also bothered by his lack of intelligence... I just can't relate with him at all. He's my second least favorite character (Mikuru being my least favorite).

So why is Kyon so popular?

He is good and works as the normal guy.

Koizumi's much more annoying. All he says is " can you imagine what would happen if Hardin got upset?". He says that like 5 times every episode.

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.