Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 7, 2018 8:46 AM

Jan 2017
That was irrational.

The story.
Contemporary0091Feb 7, 2018 8:57 AM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Mar 11, 2018 1:10 PM

Nov 2011
Extremely slow and with a very dark atmosphere, it raises more than one question in the viewer during his vision. This film is a very clear manifesto of protest against the war and secondly against those humanly unorthodox practices. A film perhaps not for everyone, however, taking into account what the viewer hypothesizes watching this film, namely: airplanes and air battles. The narrative takes all the time possible to understand events. The soundtrack is catchy and the graphic quality is more than decent despite the massive use of CG. The ending is very catchy.

9/10
Nov 29, 2018 10:45 AM

Dec 2013
Man this was a long movie. I know it was only about two hours but it felt like it was much longer. Personally I Think this movie could have been cut down to an hour or an hour and a half. Everything shot felt like it went on for so long and my brother was able to guess the major plot twist like ten minutes into the movie. The only great thing about this movie was the airplane battles. I love the fact that at one point you see one of the plane drifting mid air (it'll make sense if you see it).

3/10 for me. Will probably never rewatch.
Mar 25, 2019 12:22 PM

Aug 2012
Kannami and Jinro being one and the same was revealed really early on in this film pretty much. The film is less about that reveal and more about the reveal of why that is the case and similarly why the others don't point it out.

I really liked the atmosphere of this film, it was very similar to other Oshii works. I coined the phrase Oshii-sphere last year because this aspect of his films is pretty much unique to him. At least in the Anime space. Combined with Kenji as composer and yeah it's pretty unmistakable.

At 2 hours long the film isn't as dense as it could of been. And while the animation was beautiful, both in 2D from Production IG and the 3D from Polygon Pictures, the actual density of locations and detail in them was alittle lacking. The film takes place in some very barren and lifeless places, even for an Airfield it was pretty empty.

I doubt this is something I will return to much more in years to come, the lacking plot or at least the destination of that plot (however poignant at the end) wasn't over fulfilling. I wish it just went further and got deeper. I'm okay with open endings but this film is all about the awful situation, be it for the world in general as well as the characters. It's presented to us and that's all we get. It's very interesting but like I say it's also somewhat unfulfilling.

Sep 3, 2021 7:09 PM

Nov 2012
From what I got from it, it was about the stagnation of life and the human condition and how those would be applied to near immortal beings. Having to cope, foggy hazy memories, questioning what aspects of your past were real or not, uncertainty on what your future holds and whether that matters at all in the first place. Is death a more welcome faith than that endless cycle?

I found Midori's breakdown highly relatable. I'm only in my mid-20s but I've felt alot of what these characters have gone through at one point or another. The thought of having these recurring thoughts but with an endless life span is truly nightmarish to think of. It's no wonder alot of the Kildren are seemingly death seekers.

Despite being seemingly cynical on the surface I think there an underlying message of hope in this, as evident by the way Suito confronted the new Yuichi/Hiragi more openly and kind. It's never too late to try and change things even if they seem set on a predetermined course.
Jul 28, 2022 2:59 PM

Sep 2014
this was one of the most interesting movies I have ever seen. The likeness with Ghost in the Shell is obvious, I didnt even know it was also from Oshi before I watched it but it became pretty clear soon enough. The artstyle and OST is a dead giveaway. Maybe more than those it shares its nihilism with it though. About characters who are stuck, in a loop or in a boring life and who want to break out or reach new frontiers.

The setting is very interesting. War outsourced to private companies, but artificially kept going to give a meaning to the word "peace". From what we could see the battles were pretty clean and basically had no civilian involvement. Certainly raises moral questions. I wonder what came first, the artificial kids or the artificial war..

Its very calm and quiet,the ost is rarely used. But the animation is just amazing, especially for its age. The character design is very dated, I think the mid 2000s had the worst artstyle since the 70s in general though.

The dogfights blew me away, how could they look that smooth? Even now most CGI scenes look way worse. I clearly remember how choppy the CGI in GitS 2 was as well. This however aged really well! Even the style looked good.

The english was surprisingly good, but why was there so much of it?

Someone here said "style over substance" and I definitely agree, but I wouldnt use that as criticism. It does feel pretty empty for a 2h movie, but it did not break the movie for me.

7/10, tempted to go to 6 because while its interesting its also a bit boring and pretentious but the animation really stands out even today.
They really dont make movies like this anymore, do they? Its almost like everything is some teenage romcom drama.. Though I guess you could call this one as well.

PS: Is the MAL synopsis wrong or did I miss something? The teacher is not his predecessor, MC called him father.
PPS: Pretty ironic the message is "be open to experience new things even if you just repeat the same things over and over" when this was Oshis last work in the anime industry
Comander-07Jul 28, 2022 3:11 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 3, 2022 12:07 PM
Aug 2018
Liked the mood/tone and the moderate emotions . CGI looks off-putting at first, but I started liking it after the middle.
Jul 31, 2023 11:30 PM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 3.5 
[Art/Animation] - 4
[Sound/Music] - 3.5
[M-Character] - 3
[S-Character] - 3
[Enjoyment] - 3
[Overall] - 3.5
The story pace was really slow I was not sure when it was going to start showing anything worth seeing or intense moments, hardly any only after an hour in where it started getting good. The CGI and animation was really good with the plane fight scenes showing off the film but it was really short most of the film is just having conversation and romance moment with others to past the time with the short lives they live being pilots. The two main character felt interesting and uninteresting at times did not like or dislike them, just the same with some of the side characters. A close to 15 year old film, I have a feeling I think I'll be watching this one again many years form now.    
CcCharlesJul 31, 2023 11:35 PM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is it worth picking up?

steven194 - May 27, 2014

6 by basspig »»
Dec 15, 2020 7:39 PM

» Sky Crawler Oscar pre-nominated

ceasol - Nov 11, 2008

2 by Guts-Valley »»
Aug 9, 2020 6:20 PM

» The Sky Crawlers Trailer

dtshyk - May 19, 2008

11 by japzone »»
Mar 10, 2010 12:49 PM

» Mamoru Oshii's Message -Sky Crawlers TV Documentary-

MaxCrank - Oct 21, 2009

2 by MaxCrank »»
Feb 13, 2010 12:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.