Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]
Jun 29, 2019 2:47 AM
Sep 2018
That summoning scene was done so well. I'm looking forward to finally getting into the fate franschise and this episode definitely did not disappoint me.
Jul 16, 2019 2:07 PM

Sep 2014
A bit late to the party but finally gave this a go heh, premise looks interesting and there's a lot of familiar voices.
That was indeed kinda funny how they were circling Kirei.
The worms came kinda out of nowhere what the hell, poor girl, I'm surprised Kariya didn't beat the hell out of that bastard.
Jul 18, 2019 12:04 PM

Jul 2019
Pretty cordial pilot...
Sep 22, 2019 9:19 PM

Nov 2014
I didn't notice this first eps is 48 min long until i reach 31 min lolol

It's kinda confusing at first, I only understood the basic gist of it, and the character names and faces and relationships will take some time for me to remember.

Seems interesting so far. I don't know the other characters well enough so the only characters I'm actually invested in is the tortured girl, white-haired man, and the kid who stole his poor teacher's spot lol (im guessing he's gonna suffer a lot in the upcoming Holy Grail).

Hope the sickening old bastard dies soon.
Sep 25, 2019 7:21 PM
Dec 2017
made it too boring introduction.. but its worth it 👌👌👌
Nov 17, 2019 12:02 PM

Dec 2014
Setting up the stage... felt bad for Sakura
Jan 4, 2020 7:12 PM
Jul 2018
When they were all summoning the servants I was hyped!
Oh so Gilgamesh was summoned by Kotomine, okay, sorry I forgot.
Jan 15, 2020 6:14 PM

Jun 2016
Never have I ever seen an entire first episode of exposition like this and especially not a double length special. Although this isn’t criticism, I did have a good time watching. We spent the episode setting up rules, getting to know servants and understanding their connections so I suppose I’ll try to go over what I picked up on, as overwhelming as it seemed. We were initially taught by Tohsaka Tokiomi that there were two other major families to worry about. Including his they are the Tohsaka, the Matous, and the Einzberg. The original war that started all this appeared to turn into conflict between Tohsaka, Einzberg and “Makiri”, a family not mentioned in this episode and one that may have been replaced by Matous in prominence. This somehow created a war that happens every sixty years where this Holy Grail which can grant any wish chooses 7 masters and these masters, which are necessarily mages when the war starts, take control over great heroes of the past and thus fight for the wish. This itself creates some questions such as why these heroes will fight as servants, be it if it’s necessary for them or if they have something to gain here. Beyond that, it creates a stacked load of characters, all of which we only got to really know 6 major masters.

We started with Emiya Kiritsugu who was adopted into the formerly pure Einzberg family which lost the first war due to their focus on alchemy. Not only is he an unusual part of Einzberg but he also had a child with Iri. We started with him unable to even look at his daughter as he feels guilt over feeling that he’s inevitably brought death to Iri and she didn’t deny such, rather she stated our first look into a defining feature of Emiya Kiritsugu. She is okay with this because of his “ideal”, that is “a world where no one has to cry the way you are now”. She has bought this ideal so much that she even suggested the king of knights would be convinced by it too. From here he seems all good, but as Iri also suggested, he’s already been fighting. His background is mysterious, he has a reputation of a mercenary and an assassin with the title “Mage Slayer”. He allegedly kills mages shamelessly and even bombs them or takes down planes. With Kotomine Kirei’s thoughts on him we also saw that he traveled the world into dangerous warzones at their peak danger for years until he stopped with Iri. That was the fighting he was already doing I presume. Later he suggests that the servant is a mere tool and it made me think he may be able to justify all of his alleged actions with that reasoning, that they are necessary. The line about how he was crying in the beginning from Iri goes to suggest he’s doing what he thinks he has to do, maybe he’d even unwish any of the cruelty he caused. But what’s clear is that he seems tortured, he is a killer, and he has a strong ideal motivating his action. Later the elder said “complete the Third Magic, Heaven's Feel".

Tohsaka Tokiomi can be appropriately explored with Kotomine Kirei. On the surface He and Kirei should be enemies, but with a secret allegiance between Tohsaka Tokiomi and the church they supposedly have the same intention for the wish, that is “to reach the source”. However, the Tohsaka family gave a daughter to the Matous family while he also voices that, to not stop the others, would be irresponsible. And further, evil goatee man sipping wine in the shadows makes me think Tohsaka is no doubt a 'secret' bad guy. Yet Kirei may not be so loyal, despite his father bringing him here and suggesting he’d jump into an inferno for the church, his records show a lack of convictions and confusion in his past as if he had no idea of self interest yet wasn’t always working for his father. Further, him leaving in the beginning started a conversation about how he was grieving the recent loss of his wife making it obvious to us that we should be curious about his past, and that he may wish her back alive. He also appeared to have already summoned the assassin Hassan, a master strategist who can see any tricks.

A good jumping point is the Tohsaka daughter that was given to Matous and their role in this. To continue this theme of bad guys probably manipulating their pawns like Tohsaka and possibly the church, we have one of the kindest contestants introduced. Matou Kariya is a Matou who denounced the life yet stayed in contact with his sister who married into Tohsaka. He loves his nieces Rin and Sakura and brings them gifts. Upon getting news of Sakura being breeded by worms to force her to fight for the incredibly evil Matou Zouken's immortality, he takes her place. The cute lad’s hair goes white, he loses color in an eye, he has a month to live, and he has worms in his body. He’s willing to die without question for his niece Sakura. The fact that he’s doing this rather than fighting against his family for Sakura is a reminder of their power, it’s probably useless. This does create the unfortunate reality that, if the idea that there are no survivors is accurate, the girls will lose a father or an uncle. The scene where he spoke to Sakura and told her that they could meet up with her family no longer referring to them as such made me tear up.

The next two that are easy to talk about together are Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald and Waver. Archibald is a 6th generation mage who is quite pompous and prejudiced, setting up a typical shounen power gap to jump. His whole character this episode was calling out Waver’s idea that skill matters more than blood which he shut down quickly and publicly. He sent Waver out angrily and someone gave him the relic that’s needed to summon a servant(possibly planned) and we got a huge exposition scene of him researching this secret Holy Grail war. He’s a confident little guy and he’s eager to show the world that blood doesn’t matter thus he steals the relic and flies off with it. The manipulated grandparents scene made me laugh so hard, I thought it was all real until he knocked them out and sacrificed their chickens. He’s naive, overconfident, eager, and a little bastard, I like him and the adorable contrast with his servant.

Almost no one felt that heroic. Tohsaka selling his daughter off, Kirei and Kiritsugu with pasts of murder, to be fair Archibald may just be prejudiced but not actually awful, and Waver has already shown he’s a total brat, brainwashing people for his benefit when it was not likely necessary. Kariya is the only guy who was painted as wholly good here. That is excluding the mystery psychopath we could see in the opening and possible serial killer. I do assume Archibald is a contestant given his opening appearance, just with another servant. Overall it made for a nice conclusion of summoning servants and I can understand why this series is so popular. Death games are an incredibly easy concept to make engaging with high stakes, but to spend this much time on every party gives it another layer. One that is normally lacking.
Jan 16, 2020 10:27 AM

Jan 2017
the first episode wasn't very good imo. it already starts out with a lot of info dump and too many characters were introduced in a short span of time. but i'll stay optimistic, because it will probably get better.

also, it kind of bothers me how much kirei and kiritsugu look alike. Even their names are similar. I'm probably gonna confuse them with each other a lot.
dusty22Jan 16, 2020 10:46 AM
Feb 28, 2020 4:32 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Holy crap. What the flying fuck is going on?!

They do not ease you into this series at all, do they? I have never seen nor read anything to do with the fate franchise and I was told that I should start with Fate/Zero - but maybe that was bad advice? There were so many names and almost all of them seem to begin with a 'K', so many dark-haired men that look almost exactly the same! I had to go on Wikipedia just to work out what on earth was happening. Way too much information in one go. Perhaps I'm just dumb as fuck.

On the positive side of things, it's an interesting set up and the animation is absolutely stunning - it's so crisp. It's not exactly my type of show but it's pretty popular/well-liked that I thought I'd give it a go. I'll keep going with it but I have a feeling this series is going to be exhausting.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Apr 1, 2020 11:31 AM

Apr 2020
Information overload.
Apr 20, 2020 5:20 PM
Apr 2020
Me please Let you know
May 25, 2020 3:14 PM
Apr 2020
'' ENROLOU '' BASTANTE PRA PODER TRAZER A HISTORIA DE FORMA QUE ELA FOSSE DIGERIDA CORRETAMENTE, AMEI ESSE PRIMEIRO EPISODIO, ACHEI A PREMISSA MUITO FODA, ESSE É O PRIMEIRO DA SAGA '' FATE '' QUE EU ASSISTO, ACHO QUE ESTOU SEGUINDO UMA ORDEM CRONOLÓGICA PELO QUE EU PESQUISEI, OS GRÁFICOS SÃO MUITO LINDOS E TODOS OS PERSONAGENS FORAM BEM APRESENTADOS, ACHO QUE VOCÊ PODE ATÉ TER UM FAVORITO MAS NO FUNDO VOCÊ GOSTA DE TODOS OS MESTRES QUE NO PRIMEIRO EP FORA MOSTRADOS, E OS OBJETIVOS INDIVIDUAIS DE CADA SÃO MUITO BEM ELABORADOS.
Jun 27, 2020 8:22 AM

Jan 2018
damn... the build up thou... had me download Fate/GO
Aug 17, 2020 6:50 AM
Jul 2020
what happened to the baby?....
Sep 4, 2020 12:30 AM

Aug 2020
Very strong first episode. I like the tone and atmosphere of the series. I'm also interested in which way the worms are helping Kirei, he looks really pitful.
Interesting that Arthur in this series is female.
Nov 8, 2020 7:09 AM
Jul 2020
Well, I am interested, but this was a horrible info-dump episode. I was able to pick certain information, though.
Nov 19, 2020 6:37 AM

Oct 2019
I feel sorry for Kariya, and it have only seen the first episode TT
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Dec 23, 2020 10:00 PM

Jul 2019
Interested in more but I also have no idea what the hell is going on

Theres 7 masters and servants and they have to fight to the death for the Grail, which can grant any wish

... is what ive picked up so far
Jan 6, 2021 10:07 AM

Aug 2014
the interactions of Kariya and Zouken are just so epic
Mar 18, 2021 7:05 AM
Apr 2020
So this is the story of the servants, huh?Welp it seems like things will get serious from then on pretty quickly.

Thank goodness I'm in a right order... Watched the ufotable's Fate UBW first and it seems like it really connects to the UBW's events 10 years before this one. Now I have a huge knowledge of what was happening on this one, although it's still a little confusing.. But that was a given cause it's still the start of the series :)
Kirukato05Mar 18, 2021 7:08 AM
Apr 3, 2021 3:53 AM
Dec 2020
Fate Zero started with a banger episode. Ending was decent. It showed some glimpses of the show.
Apr 18, 2021 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
Going in story order, so first episode of the entire series I've decided to watch, and holy shit! I've never been this fucking hooked on the first episode of a series!
This is an epic setup, already great writing! ^^
removed-userApr 18, 2021 4:06 PM
May 4, 2021 2:55 PM

Jul 2013
Bro, all these guys with a K in their name and dark hair. I totally was confusing people.

At the moment, Waver, Sakura, and stand out to me Rin. Also, interesting how King Arthur is a woman (one of the reasons I wanted to start this show).
Jun 16, 2021 2:54 PM

Jul 2019
For now, I'll only watch F/Z & S2 as a standalone series but I'll probably change my mind soon enuff. If I do decide to get in F/SN or UBW in the future, spoilers won't be an issue since people online have spoiled soooo many other series for me ALREADY :P

But that was a pretty interesting info-dump to say the least. The whole premise with the Holy Grail War and the 7 mages competing vaguely reminded me about the Goblet of Fire for some reason, but it was cool cool to meet the 5 competitors and their different motivations. And oooo don't get me started on the ANIMATION: gotta hand it to ufotable they NEVER disappoint

Expecting the next few eps to be a slow burner like this one but I'm excited for the big ass climax thats about to come in S2 :o

8/10
Jul 17, 2021 5:47 AM
Apr 2021
The animation was so damn good and this episode was so boring because too much talking...

Why the hell they walking around him in circle -_-
Aug 29, 2021 3:04 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Decent introductory episode, this. A lot of info about the masters and the procedure of the Holy Grail provided, which is good.

Having already watched Fate/stay night, UBW & HF, it's nice to finally see Emiya-san's past in particular.

Sakura's scene with worms though. Holy fudge, that was disturbing! Clearly living in and for the past, are the Tohsaka and Matou families.

It's nice to hear LiSA in Fate context again!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 6, 2021 10:56 PM

Dec 2012
8 years ago.
Kiritsugu.
A child is born.
Ilyasviel.
3 years ago.
SHOW!!!!!
Kotomine Kirei.
The Holy Grail War. Perform miracles?
Tokhsaka Tokiomi.
Kirei's wife passed away a few days ago.
1 year ago.

I decided to rewatch FZ for its 10th anniversary on October 2nd (Japan has this thing where 0:00 AM is not the next day yet and I'm behind them so its 11:00 AM on October 1st for me when FZ aired) and I hate that I planned this for a month only to fall asleep on the anniversary day until today.

Anyway, what a start! I still remember10 years ago that the news said 1st episode was going to be 1 hour due to so much stuff and I previewed it to see why before I came back and binged it when it was near complete in 2012. I'm seeing things differently than I did all those years ago. For example, Kariya didn't look cool to me before, but now he looks so cool. F Zouken. Got Kariya looking old and his whole body is messed up. LiSA slayed the ED song... as expected due to her previous songs before Fate. ufo delivered and the music is perfect.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 4, 2021 9:51 AM
Aug 2017
Started at Fate/stay night, UBW then HF and here we are now at F/Z

Interesting start. Will be good to see the events before fate/stay night

Illyas mum is hot

Why tf are they walking in circles around Kirei lmao

Little Rin <3

Uncle Kariya is a good man, protect Sakura. Zouken that fucking bastard go to hell

Crazy hype sheesh

Ending song banger

LETS GOOO
Nov 8, 2021 1:23 PM

Jun 2020
already hf makes 2x more sense now

smh i rly shoulda watched dis 1st

2011 lisa kinda mid tho 🗿
Dec 22, 2021 11:08 AM

Jun 2019
Why the hell did I start such a complicated series. LMAO. Well, can't go back now. The first half was so slow and boring, I'm sorry but that is what it is but the second half got good really fast. The summoning of the Servants was hype AF.
Apr 20, 2022 6:14 PM

Feb 2021
It's not a good idea to start a show off with a 50 min mega exposition dump since it's a huge turn off to new viewers, tbh I wouldn't understand what's even going on if I hadn't already watched this once and the sequels before. 3/5, and this is generous
Jun 9, 2022 11:11 AM
Nov 2020
Woooooohhhh 45 minutes long episode...

That's something great which i always ignored for being confusing and long...
To much info...
Jun 28, 2022 1:06 AM

May 2020
it kind of bothers me how much kirei and kiritsugu look alike. Even their names are similar

so many dark-haired men that look almost exactly the same

Jul 5, 2022 6:17 PM
Nov 2016
CHilDFricker said:
made it too boring introduction.. but its worth it 👌👌👌
is it rly? im tryin to decide whether or not to keep watchin, never seen any other fate stuff...
Sep 6, 2022 2:11 PM
Apr 2020
it was good but a little bit long
Sep 15, 2022 8:10 PM

Dec 2018
yeah, i've seen some anime where an episode just seems to drag for 24 minutes and some where it's over in the blink of an eye, so i paused it halfway like wth am i going crazy and then i saw 45 minutes and i was thinking that is just a shit load of exposition for a first episode.
Sep 22, 2022 4:30 AM
Oct 2021
It was OK, can't say more.
Feb 14, 2023 12:10 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Heck yeah, time to re-watch FATE ZERO, one of my first anime now that I remember, since it is one of the ones that caught my eye on netflix, which is where I started watching anime. I was expecting and hoping for lots of fights, and then came out of it disappointed since most of it was just talk. 

But now, several years later, (probably somewhere in the ballpark of FIVE years, holy sh*t), I still haven't really delved into this universe other than watching ufotable's other works which are unlimited bladeworks and heaven's feel. And yet I realize now that this first episode is hype asf. I want these characters to clash with all their different personalities and ideals, the actual physical fights will just be a bonus for me at this point. 

Looking forward to experiencing it again, and most likely appreciating it far more this time around.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 31, 2023 5:36 PM
Feb 2021
Holy fuck what a great first episode. I kinda thought it'd be hard to distinguish the masters from one another, but they each have their own personalities and the whole thing is really interesting. I hope it doesn't just end up being a tournament arc type show, but that could maybe work too.
Apr 13, 2023 12:56 AM
Apr 2023
it was a good starting episode
Apr 21, 2023 4:29 PM
Nov 2022
decent first ep. bit long, and a lot of exposition but sets it all up well
Jun 18, 2023 5:31 AM

Apr 2021
About time I started Fate!!! It's Ufotable, so I'm not surprised on seeing how good the animation is. The story's a bit complex yet really interesting at the same time!! I kinda got the gist of the whole thing.

Looking forward to see how the show goes from here!!!

(On June 18th, 2023 I began watching Fate)
Jul 24, 2023 3:51 PM
Jul 2023
A good introduction to the 4th holy grail war, introduces all the servant-master duos (except for one, where is caster?). The exposition at the start with the birth of the Einzburn's child was well done. The episode did a great job at explaining the relationships and the points of the three families. Art looks great too.
Aug 23, 2023 12:21 AM

Dec 2022
What an actual greatly nice introduction this over 30 mins episode is!
Kiritsugu seems interesting enough with his goal + he do be have a gorgeous wife as well and so i'm looking forward to the other masters and the rest of the fate franchise which is prob going to take me a while to get into.

Nov 26, 2023 9:23 AM
Sep 2022
a lot of talking , but enjoyable
Dec 1, 2023 7:19 PM

Nov 2023
Damn history of Illya here
Dec 5, 2023 9:49 AM

Jan 2017
Slept on this masterpiece for so long, and I'm glad I watched the Stay Night saga before getting into Zero.
Also seeing the comments on a 12 year old series is pretty wild.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Mar 9, 1:25 AM
Oct 2023
Comparing this to the first episode of ubw and fate stay night, it is more interesting.
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]

More topics from this board

» I'm not interested in the fate series at all but

mydaddy - Apr 26

12 by AustinJamB »»
Yesterday, 1:44 PM

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM

» Im about to start this but confused

TabutcuEmmi - Feb 7

44 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Feb 10, 3:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.