Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 11, 2012 3:40 PM

Nov 2011
Jun 22, 2012 11:43 PM

Feb 2012
Anisamar said:
The truth is: smiling is not happiness. All the surgery did was “extirpate” their freewill, thus losing the ability to take a voluntary decision, their independence. What was left was the rationality, the common sense in its most archaic outlook, so to not to be bound by feelings, to do whatever you have to without obstacles, to work even if you don’t enjoy life, even if you don’t like what you’re doing. Just because you have to. Just because you’re obliged to.

One believes it’s the best for the society, for the progress, but it isn’t human anymore. It’s a machine. They’ve lost the humanism. Out of its flawed plain logic, nothing makes sense and they don’t know how to act; that was what happened in that town. That happened to all those little kids. What could’ve happened to Kino.

If you look at this problem from a Marxist perspective, happiness is a myth that is perpetuated by the bourgeoisie in order to fuel a capitalist economy. Western Civilization highly values ideas such as “freedom” and “pursuit of happiness.” We tell ourselves happiness is something that is obtainable and we spend our lives in its pursuit. We spend our income on luxury items that we believe will make us happy, but we soon find that we need more to maintain our happiness. We soon start to wish that if only we had more money, then we would have more happiness. With happiness and money permanently connected in our understanding of the world, we can now have an economic system that is sustained by our selfishness and lust.

While I would never want to live in Kino’s hometown, I understand it is because I have already inculcated the values of my own society. Though I want to, I am unable to prove that my society is better or worse that the society in Kino’s hometown.
Jul 21, 2012 11:31 AM
Mar 2012
I guess I am the only one who thought this, but it isn't exactly clear that Kino is the little girl at this point in the story. This could very well be the story of the Kino we know dying and some little kid deciding to emulate his life. I thought it was a terrible idea (because of how confusing it was) to Have the motorrad and the main character be named after another motorrad and character who both looked exactly the freakin' same. I watched this episode and felt like "WTF just happenend? did the main character just die, or is the main character a girl?"
Jul 23, 2012 3:53 AM
Nov 2010
toasterovenly said:
I guess I am the only one who thought this, but it isn't exactly clear that Kino is the little girl at this point in the story. This could very well be the story of the Kino we know dying and some little kid deciding to emulate his life. I thought it was a terrible idea (because of how confusing it was) to Have the motorrad and the main character be named after another motorrad and character who both looked exactly the freakin' same. I watched this episode and felt like "WTF just happenend? did the main character just die, or is the main character a girl?"

Watch the movie. It shows loli Kino cutting her hair and becoming main character.
Aug 16, 2012 1:54 PM

Sep 2011
Yeah, best episode so far. Very well done!

I don't know what to think of this anime so far because my opinion on it keeps changing... xD

Episode 1- Decent
Episode 2 - Good
Episode 3 - Decent (better than episode 1's decent)
Episode 4 - Good (better than episode 2's good)

Hope the next one is good as well! D:
Oct 23, 2012 4:43 PM

Jan 2010
I like how the episode never says that the adults were explicitly bad or wrong. Kinda goes back to the "every country has its own customs" thing. And for some reason, I'm getting Clockwork Orange vibes from this episode.
Dec 1, 2012 9:24 PM
Nov 2012
lol @ the villagers who are laughing when killing Kino
Dec 4, 2012 3:48 PM

Aug 2011
im glad real kino was able to protect little girl(Kino).

even so, what shocks me most is those adults arent real adults,
only real adults filled with emotions.

and i agree this is amazing and sorrow episode.
Mar 16, 2013 4:25 PM

May 2012
Very interesting back story... really liked it, it was nice to put it in this early in the story, this only strengthens the character more... but strange that she suddenly doesn't remember her name... but well that sure is one interesting start of Kino's journey!
Mar 29, 2013 8:53 AM

Jul 2011
toasterovenly said:

Kino, our main character, is a girl. Maybe watch the prequel first next time?

Kinda made me lol as it reflects our materialistic society.
Apr 4, 2013 9:38 PM

Dec 2011
MM-Rosiie said:
toasterovenly said:

Kino, our main character, is a girl. Maybe watch the prequel first next time?

Kinda made me lol as it reflects our materialistic society.

Maybe it's just me, but the prequel is best watched after the series. (It spoils episode 4 a lot).

Anyway, this episode was a big clue (and definitive proof for some) for the viewers about Kino being a girl, which will be confirmed anyway in episode 12.
Apr 18, 2013 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
Little kino was cute. Nice background episode.
Apr 24, 2013 8:53 PM

Mar 2013
Ruzgfpegk said:
The motorad starts talking just after the death of the "first" Kino.
Could it be that, somehow, he reincarnated into the motorad to continue to protect the new Kino ?

In the previous episodes, we see that other people can hear Hermes, so the voice is not an imaginary friend of Kino.

EDIT :
And we now know where Kino heard the line (about birds and travels) she said in the first episode... she said she didn't remember. O RLY ?

its because he is a motor-rad so he is like a living bike
also at the beginning i thought this was a flash forward and it was only later when i realized it was a flash back
"Stop whining, all I did was chop off your stupid legs."
May 24, 2013 2:59 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing episode love this
Jul 24, 2013 8:10 AM

Aug 2011
Kino... Oh god I'm almost crying
This show is so particular and awesome
Jul 24, 2013 10:55 PM

Aug 2010
This was the best episode so far. Kino was such a cute little girl. That was one messed up town. Sad thing is there are people brainwashed like that in the real world.

5/5
Jul 30, 2013 8:06 AM

Mar 2010
Really good episode
nice backstory
Aug 10, 2013 7:14 AM

Feb 2011
Kino kawaii.
Sep 28, 2013 3:11 PM

Apr 2009
I actually came here to see if anyone explained the whole flower thing because I can't tell flowers apart and so I couldn't figure out what were the other kids saying to her when insulting her at the beginning
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Sep 29, 2013 5:04 PM

Nov 2011
I can't take this much cuteness, Kino (girl) is so cute when she is all "Kyaa!" xD.

Oh well, it is so good that she didn't have that adult operation, at some point I thought she did because on a previous episode she killed 3 humans (survival reasons) without hesitation but I guess that's duo to some training that she did.

It was really sad that kino (man) had to die, he seemed like a great character.

That adult operation is messed up, it would steal away her emotions and she wouldn't be her anymore.

I enjoyed all of the previous episodes and this one was just awesome and perfect and made me feel glad that I started watching this anime.
fablionSep 29, 2013 5:08 PM
Oct 2, 2013 6:56 AM

Dec 2011
kawaiiyuris said:
I actually came here to see if anyone explained the whole flower thing because I can't tell flowers apart and so I couldn't figure out what were the other kids saying to her when insulting her at the beginning

They're yelling out Kino's real name, I guess. No one knows (yet) what that name is, though there are plenty of fan speculations... :D
Oct 16, 2013 6:03 PM

Aug 2008
Uh wtf I don't understand why everyone thought Kino was a boy???? In the first episode, Hermes refered to Kino and the telepathic man as being "lovey- dovey" and yes while i do understand it could've had an intended homosexual meaning but PRETTY UNLIKELY, at that point I was 90% sure Kino was a girl.

Then in the second episode she recieves a RING that was going to be given to someone's WIFE, and originally belonged to a young LADY. And although I COULD be wrong the 3 stranded traders called her "little girl" or "girl" or something (I AM NOT SURE, DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS).

And the fact that she has a feminine voice should also be a red flag. (and its not even like young boy girly, its actually a very mature feminine voice).

so uhm. yeah. Pretty obvious she was a girl, not even trying to sound smart or anything, it was actually really really obvious.
Oct 27, 2013 5:17 PM

Nov 2012
Kino was a girl? Shit, I did watched this five years ago and I missed that critical part!

Wow, what a defining episode! Though I wouldn't expect her to bottle up her feelings after seeing all that, I mean that is quite a big turning point in her life and and all she can react to that is a tear or two and not a waterfall. Given her age that time it would be natural for her to cry a lot because of that traumatic experience, but then I could assume she's mature beyond her years. Aaaah, I just can't bear to watch Kino bottle it all up!

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Nov 12, 2013 5:54 PM

Jan 2012
wanted to comment on this episode purely because i now feel like im going to like this series, best episode yet, really hope it kicks on from here now, not that the past 3 eps were bad, just nothing majorly special...

my girlfriend also loves this anime, she studied philosophy at university and thinks this anime is riddled with it (i agree) so many subjects and issues brought up in each episode!
Feb 18, 2014 7:47 AM

May 2013
'mazing episode c:
So the current Kino is actually a girl?!?! Dayum.
R.I.P Past Kino, he was a great man :(
Mar 16, 2014 11:19 PM

Mar 2012
I want the full lyrics to that song. So much.
キ チ リ * カ チ リ
Mar 23, 2014 9:25 PM

Sep 2011
Wtf he's a girl, or should I say she... WTF.
Apr 4, 2014 9:24 PM

Jun 2013
Tyrel said:
Wtf he's a girl, or should I say she... WTF.

Sadly, in Japanese dubs, girls sound like guys and guys sound like girls. Half the time the male characters are voiced by real females, and sometimes girl characters are voiced by young males. The range of voices are sadly very limited, unless it's the stereotypical old dude or a bad guy.

That's one of the good things about English dubs. In the dub, it's obvious she is a girl from the very beginning, because, y'know, she actually sounds like a woman (though not overly girly).
ex_necrossApr 4, 2014 9:28 PM
Apr 27, 2014 4:32 AM

Apr 2014
this anime is just amazing, i really love it and i never had thought that kino was a girl
Apr 30, 2014 5:44 AM
Jan 2010
The 'adults' were literally children.
May 1, 2014 9:40 PM
Dec 2012
And that's why travelers try hard not to involve themselves in any one country for too long. It's liable to get you get a knife stuck in your gut. But at the same time, if the original Kino hadn't stepped in the way of the knife's path to protect her, then when we wouldn't be following this Kino. And this Kino wouldn't have been alive and well, traveling and enjoying herself.

There's more to life than this dreary world of working adults, and people know that, and they're afraid of never being able to experience anything beyond it. And so that fear, rather than being conquered, is artificially excised out of you. That child-like part of you wanting more out of life, to see the world beyond the cave's shadows, is sucked from your spirit so that enter the working world without quarrel, with a smile, in fact, so there's no need to worry. But how much of that smile is you? Her parents attempting to murder her... how much is it them? Can you claim ownership of your actions if one's automatic response to a situation like that is to kill? A cog in the machine. A familiar, comforting thought because it's hardly any thought, because it is the nature of thoughts to digress, to stray from the path of the familiar and comfortable.

And yet the world is beautiful in spite of the pain, or even because of it. To be able to enjoy what you do because you are consciously enjoying it rather than smiling because you cannot stop smiling either way. It's what makes the world of you fulfilling and the world of perfect adults... unsettling. Disturbing. Uncanny.
Jun 19, 2014 4:35 PM

Nov 2012
I guess this episode clarify the difference between the two kinds of people in our society and how we view them. "Kids" and "Adults"

"Adults" seems to follow the customs without hesitation and no matter what is it, i mean, this fucker fucking stabbed an innocent guy and they laughed about it (that part was so creepy, in a funny way xd)

And "Kids" are more like normal people who go by their emotions and by their nature instead of these fake-ass customs or instructors. tho i don't think following a customs would make you kill your child without a single moment of hesitation while looking creepy as fuck. but the point of this was to show adults as a cold-heart bastards.. so yeah. Great episode.

5/5
Aug 4, 2014 12:48 PM

Dec 2012
Fantastic episode. Glad to know more about Kino, her voice really sounded girly. I wonder what her real name was. So now's she Kino? I love it.
Aug 4, 2014 12:54 PM

Dec 2012
ZeroReq011 said:
And that's why travelers try hard not to involve themselves in any one country for too long. It's liable to get you get a knife stuck in your gut. But at the same time, if the original Kino hadn't stepped in the way of the knife's path to protect her, then when we wouldn't be following this Kino. And this Kino wouldn't have been alive and well, traveling and enjoying herself.

There's more to life than this dreary world of working adults, and people know that, and they're afraid of never being able to experience anything beyond it. And so that fear, rather than being conquered, is artificially excised out of you. That child-like part of you wanting more out of life, to see the world beyond the cave's shadows, is sucked from your spirit so that enter the working world without quarrel, with a smile, in fact, so there's no need to worry. But how much of that smile is you? Her parents attempting to murder her... how much is it them? Can you claim ownership of your actions if one's automatic response to a situation like that is to kill? A cog in the machine. A familiar, comforting thought because it's hardly any thought, because it is the nature of thoughts to digress, to stray from the path of the familiar and comfortable.

And yet the world is beautiful in spite of the pain, or even because of it. To be able to enjoy what you do because you are consciously enjoying it rather than smiling because you cannot stop smiling either way. It's what makes the world of you fulfilling and the world of perfect adults... unsettling. Disturbing. Uncanny.

Wow, beautiful.
Aug 11, 2014 4:03 AM

Dec 2012
I thought kino was a guy...blew my mind.
Aug 22, 2014 10:33 PM

Nov 2013
What a fucked up country. The thought of losing all your emotions when you're 12 is terrifying. I really am wondering what her original name was.

Nov 17, 2014 7:34 AM
Jun 2013
Nice. Reminds of The Little Prince.
Mar 19, 2015 11:18 AM

Dec 2013
Damn, awesome back story. Philosophical and sad as always.
Kino was cute whe she was younger.
Apr 7, 2015 12:44 AM

Sep 2013
alternate hormura was pretty cute.

If I am correct, the events were a reference to 18th century 'Age of Reason".
May 6, 2015 6:54 AM

Dec 2012
No matter how many times I see this episode, the adults joking about pulling the knife out still creeps me out to the max. This episode does a fine job at poking at the contrast between life as a child and life as an adult. From what I've observed, many people sacrifice the spark of passion that they had as children to pursue pragmatic lives as adults, doing jobs they don't take any joy in. It's something I'm most certainly grateful I've been able to avoid in my career choice.
Jun 15, 2015 2:26 AM

Aug 2013
Kino is a girl?!
my whole life is a lie
Jun 18, 2015 1:29 PM

Jan 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
No matter how many times I see this episode, the adults joking about pulling the knife out still creeps me out to the max. This episode does a fine job at poking at the contrast between life as a child and life as an adult. From what I've observed, many people sacrifice the spark of passion that they had as children to pursue pragmatic lives as adults, doing jobs they don't take any joy in.

Kinda used to the "creepy" laughing they used, so didnt affect me as much.
Even though it's costum there, shame for the kids to already have their future set after they hit the age of 12.

Makes me wonder who the people that do the operation are.
If they had the same operation, who it started etc.

Also, I'd love to see a future episode where she returns to her home town, maybe confront her parents, see if they recognize her.
Jun 25, 2015 9:44 PM
Mar 2014
Oh my god, that was incredible. It might've been the best "prequel" I've ever seen. Seeing Kino (before she referred to herself as that) be set free from her strict society holding her back was exciting and so memorable. I was so confused at first, seeing some man with the very name, "Kino", but this explains our Kino's origins flawlessly. This honestly has to be one of the best shows I've seen in a long, LONG time.

*bumps rating up to a 9*
Aug 18, 2015 9:17 PM
Jun 2013
That country was disgusting!
Aug 23, 2015 11:11 AM

Jun 2015
Such a sad past of Kino. Her Role Model being slain by her own father. I wonder if she is planning to go back -to see her town again?
Nov 27, 2015 3:52 PM

Nov 2014
Those Kyaa~ were really cute.

Dec 2, 2015 4:50 AM

Jan 2014
Wow. What a beautiful world.
Jan 17, 2016 8:10 PM

Dec 2012
wow this anime is unexpectedly messed up
Jan 18, 2016 7:40 PM

Sep 2015
Great series so far. Really enjoying it more than i thought i would
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Feb 3, 2016 3:14 PM

May 2014
I couldn't wait to rewatch this episode when I made my bro watch it. This is one of my favorites in the whole series. Especially at the end when she influentially falls into the flowers haha :D
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 15, 2008

84 by mySaudate »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

128 by Drakath_V »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kotori - Apr 15, 2008

179 by mySaudate »»
Apr 30, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

122 by PlasticRobot »»
Apr 29, 4:39 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.