MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Usagi Drop Episode 5 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Usagi Drop »» Usagi Drop Episode 5 Discussion

Pages (8) -2 -1 [0] 1 2 » ... Last »
View Poll Results: Usagi Drop Episode 5 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

211 86.83%
4 out of 5: Liked it

27 11.11%
3 out of 5: It was OK

4 1.65%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

1 0.41%
1 out of 5: Hated it

0.00%
Voters: 243

08-04-11, 2:18 PM

Rin is so mature, she just makes my heart melt. <3
Anime fucking sucks.

08-04-11, 2:26 PM

This show keeps getting better and better..=)

While i think the motives of Masako are kind of upsetting, i don't blame her completely. I think that, in a way, she still cares about Rin and did what she thought i was the best for her. I am really curious to know more about Masako (and the "boyfriend").

About the adoption, i think it will happen in the future (probably in a very emotional way, as MorisatoK said..i.i). I really liked the way Rin showed that she is happy about who she and Daikichi are, and i admire the way that Daikichi always asks and respect the opinions of Rin. =)

08-04-11, 2:35 PM

So here I am practicing my piano arrangement of High, High, High so I can record it for youtube. Then I take a break and watch the newest ep of Usagi Drop, and what do I hear in the cafe scene... A piano arrangement of High High High! D'oh.

It's a much for lounge style though, which is probably a lot easier to play than my version which is more of a transcription of the ending theme at full tempo.

BTW, my version is available at my blog or on youtube. http://robusab.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-arrangement-high-high-high-usagi.html is the easiest way. ^^
Visit my blog for my anime and video game sheet music! http://robusab.blogspot.com

08-04-11, 2:45 PM

This show is so damn good

08-04-11, 2:53 PM

how old is thaT mother, rly and i still cant understand why she'd bang an old guy then now have a young bf

08-04-11, 2:56 PM

Murbella said:
I didn't really like the "just Daikichi scene." It seemed very unrealistic and fell flat. Daikichi, against all odds, works up the courage to adopt rin and then also works up the courage to ask her about it, but she just shoots him down with a lame line that should have been hurtful. It would be the same situation as if he confessed his love for that attractive mother, but she said she wanted to stay friends that "Daikichi should just stay Daikichi."

Daikichi is focusing his entire life around Rin and being her father in all but name, but she still wants to think of him as "some relative of my real father."

Agree completly with your post and felt the same way about this scene in particular. It was supposed to convey warmth when it actually hit me pretty cold, of course considering it's a child's straight answer. So at first I thought he was crying out of disappointment. Yet I like Rin's determined response and I don't think she loves him any less then a real father.

Concerning her mother, the way this anime was until now I doubt it's as shallow as it seems and there's probably more to it. I wouldn't be supprised if this turns out completly different.
But I couldn't help to think about her wanting the child back at some point. She's the biological mother after all and by law Daikichi has no grounds here. If I were in his shoes that's the first thing I would've cleared up and adopted her even with a different name. BTW that talk about women giving up her name anyway is so typical for the conservative Japanese.

Overall I'd say the best episode for now.

08-04-11, 4:03 PM

Rin is too adorable! Why would you abandon a child like that? Rin's Mom is lucky enough not to have a daughter like Reina >.> she just annoys the hell out of me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

08-04-11, 4:14 PM

I LOVED THAT EPISODE. Its was so touching and cute. I can't wait to see where this series goes. TT~TT 5/5

08-04-11, 4:28 PM

Best episode so far, that was soooo cute.. and that last bit was halarious.
"Am I raising Rin or is Rin raising me?" That gave me a laugh

08-04-11, 4:31 PM

And1ce said:
how old is thaT mother, rly and i still cant understand why she'd bang an old guy then now have a young bf

She doesn't seem very detail oriented enough to be bothered by things like wrinkles and such. Remember she called Daikchi by the name Souichi so what she saw in Souichi is problably not related to his age. Also is that her boyfriend, brother, cousin, friend, or manga employee? If he is related to her then that would explain Rin's hair color, maybe. Would anyone that has read the manga care to do a spoiler tag to tell us who that guy is.

Personally I rather think of Masako as an adult child who isn't ready for the responsibility of raising a child alone instead of a despicable human-being but if that guy is Rin's father then that means they both abandoned the Rin and that looks worse.
Modified by Anime_Name, 08-04-11, 6:07 PM

08-04-11, 4:54 PM

Gosh, Rin is so cute! Just the littlest things that she says goes straight to my heart <3

08-04-11, 5:04 PM

Seriously, the whole things about about the surname change made me want to yell out a spoiler in a crowded theatre.

MAJOR SPOILER...

Damn this show is just tugging at the heartstrings. The scenes after Daikichi's day trip to meet the mother were full of all sorts of win.

Masako seems like a crackhead or something. I don't loathe her. I just get the feeling she flipped out when she became pregnant. It's obvious that her spacey personality coupled with with some obsessive compulsive characteristics leads me to believe she's got mental issues and Daikichi is right in his decisions to keep Rin.

08-04-11, 5:27 PM

Cirris said:
Seriously, the whole things about about the surname change made me want to yell out a spoiler in a crowded theatre.

MAJOR SPOILER...
Well your spoiler is certainly interesting to see how it will be presented in this anime but I do hope there is 0 blood relation with Daikichi's family if I am to comfortable with your spoiler.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!

08-04-11, 5:34 PM

Hoppy said:
Rin's mom needs to be slapped silly. Parental abandonment is terrible especially for the mother.

See, this right here is what I was expecting and what I knew would annoy me most. “Especially for the MOTHER”

Men leave families all the time but the instant a woman leaves her children she is demonized, never mind her situation. I'm not saying it's a good thing for a family to be split up like that either way, but people here are just being unfair.

Why is it worse if the mother leaves? Because she gave birth to the child? I don't see how it matters. Or are we going down that dreadfully sexist route of "Because women are supposed to look after babies."

There are many reasons why a woman might leave her children, just the same as if a man left. Some of them could be doing it for purely terrible reasons but not all.

Masako had her reasons, you may not like them, but I understand them. There are also a few large points to draw attention to.

From what I've got so far she still seems a bit immature, perhaps not the best at making important decisions. She works for Rin's father and somehow ends up pregnant. Now here is the first point. Grandpa wanted her to have the baby. It was not her decision. He convinced her to keep Rin.

Masako looks at her situation. She's a mangaka (unless I'm mistaken?) a job with a shoddy wage and terrible hours. She knows she wouldn't be able to keep her work up and handle a child but she tried anyway. She tried to take care of Rin. I admit that she didn’t do a good job of it but she gave it a go. She could have run off as soon as Rin was born, said she didn’t want anything to do with her, but she didn’t. You also have to add the circumstances of Rin’s father. Masako must have known what things looked like, if grandpa was the father of her child. People would automatically label her as scum anyway, I bet, as soon as they found out. Grandpa’s naïve dream of them all being a family makes him out to be the unreliable one, not her. The world just doesn’t work like a fairy tale.

She does care for Rin. She has a funny way of showing it but she agreed to meet Daikichi didn’t she? If she didn’t care at all she could have told him to get lost. Instead she meets him and asks for things that she hopes will make life easier for Rin. She even admitted she found it hard to tell herself Rin wasn’t her daughter.

So she decides it’s better not to be there. Of course she could have handled it better, but the whole thing doesn’t make her into the evil person everyone else here is trying to paint her as.

08-04-11, 5:34 PM

Uh, I'm not sure why people are getting annoyed about the "Daikichi should be Daikichi" scene. I thought it was perfectly fine and understandable. I've worked with kids quite a bit in the past, and kids -- along with adults -- don't like change. They like to stick to what they like at the moment, including Rin and her surname. Of course she wouldn't want to change it; what would happen, then, with all the time she had spent with her real father? She told Daikichi to be Daikichi because he doesn't have to try so hard to be the ideal fatherly figure, and that what he's doing is perfectly fine. He'll never be her real father, and doesn't have to pretend to be. She takes the current situation as is.

I also liked the way they presented Masako. Her reactions seemed so realistic for someone who's been through so much, but doesn't want to share it with the world. When she was sitting and eating at the cafe, she seemed restrained, awkward, almost quiet. I'm sure we've just scratched the surface of her character, and there's more about her to come. We still don't know what she thinks of Rin, what she thinks of herself (other than the fact that she's useless, but that only reinforces the fact that she has self-esteem issues), and why she agreed to having Rin. It's deeper than it looks, guys. If she really was as immature as she looked, she'd try to raise Rin on her measly wage and shitty lifestyle. No one would have been happy if she had kept Rin.

Good episode.

08-04-11, 6:14 PM

Rin Mother :@ air headed

Rin was cute when she said you just stay as daikichi. though i hope she won't get bullied in school. though still i want her to adopt daikchi surname.

I will be glad if daikichi get together with that other boys mother. they really match each other and she's also alone. but i don't think that's going to happen.

Yumekichi11 said:
mystik said:
what a useless mother.
Useless? How about pathetic and foolish. I was so RAGE @ the mother! Rage @ unlimited times. I kind of fake slapped the screen once I saw the screen. I said I would do that and I did. That mother should not deserve Rin at all. RAGE at the mother.

The mother reminds me of the mother from this series:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/102/Aishiteruze_Baby
if anyone knows it then you know what I mean. Seriously though, the mother from Aishiteruze Baby at least I accepted her reason but I cannot accept the reason from Masako. Just c-a-n-n-o-t and that's all.

You said it all.
Modified by Han-yuu, 08-04-11, 6:17 PM

08-04-11, 6:31 PM

Cirris said:

MAJOR SPOILER...

That ruined my day. :D Had to check it first in the manga discussion as it seemed quite unbelievable. I should learn not to open spoilers in future.

08-04-11, 6:40 PM

I SWEAR THIS ANIME IS THE CUTEST THING IN THE WORLD. I love it sooooo much :) I wonder who that guy at the end was :O the boyfriend of Rin's mom?!
I can't wait till next weeeeeek!

08-04-11, 7:06 PM

I tried to hate Rin's mother. Not working. Not that I like her, but I don't hate her either. It's just that...I just can't. There's something about this anime that makes me unable to hate even one of the characters.

I'm starting to think that Rin is getting too mature though for a six years old kid though

08-04-11, 8:09 PM

I'm so mad @ the mother I don't even wanna watch anymore...

Such an unpleasant character.

Pages (8) -2 -1 [0] 1 2 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices