Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Feb 27, 2012 7:56 AM

Nov 2010
I admire Ohana's Persistence and Character.
Can't believe if was her own mother that betrayed the Region's and the Inn of Ohana's Grandmother.
Apr 23, 2012 10:05 AM

Nov 2011
What a good episode! Can't wait for the next one!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 15, 2012 1:41 PM

Apr 2012
AMAZING EPISODE! Emotional, surprising and, to put it simply, PERFECT! Without a doubt my favorite episode of Hanasaku Iroha so far; it'll take a true masterpiece of an episode to beat this, so I guess the remaining 15 episodes have something to live up to :3

I don't get why Ko didn't say anything to Ohana though. Uncertainty maybe?

On a side note, I'd like to point out the hotness of Ohana's mom. Normally I don't like the term 'MILF', but in this case I think it applies to Satsuki very well! My mind already has its own list of crack pairings going (newest addition: Satsuki x Tomoe) X3

I hope Satsuki being the one to write the review means that we'll see some more of her. Her paying a visit to Kissuiso would be priceless!
cladinpinkOct 15, 2012 1:45 PM
Nov 23, 2012 5:01 AM

May 2012
Damn nice episode, lots of different emotions and parts, wouldn't have expect that her mother wrote those articles, and for her to see someone else liking Ko must also feel bad, but was quite funny when she said the thing she didn't do her self xD

Good episode, lets see whate's in the next episode!
Mar 25, 2013 5:16 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Though I'm annoyed at Ohana for running away and not addressing the situation with Ko.
There needs to be some resolution before this ends since there's been so much time spent on it.
Apr 17, 2013 11:30 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Great episode, full of beautiful, bad feelings, such as anger and love! Wonderful drawings as backdrops really good. The PA Works is great! I love this anime! I want more and more!
Jun 21, 2013 10:16 AM

Nov 2008
Stirred much of my emotions.. Ko...and Ohana, they seem to act so awkward now. Guess feelings really change over time.
Jul 3, 2013 8:35 PM

Nov 2012
bonboru ohana! XD

Nov 4, 2013 2:46 AM

Nov 2011
This was a really great episode an awesome mix of drama and comedy.
It honestly blew me away how good the second half was though I was thinking what are you doing why run away again! T_T
I hope we get some resolution soon.
Nov 7, 2013 2:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I bet the mother and the Okami-san had a big falling out that makes it hard for her to stay at the Inn.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 20, 2013 10:25 PM
Jun 2013
I knew she was stubborn but now she's just acting childish.
Feb 11, 2014 8:36 AM

Aug 2013
Poor Ohana :(
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 14, 2014 6:11 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
Great episode! Best one so far!
Feb 20, 2014 11:14 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Ohana needs to learn to be a warrior. If she fails, get back up and be "Even Stronger". So the inn got a bad review on purpose. Ohana needs to learn to become better, show the manager she isn't a pretty face but a girl who works hard and will give the customers the satisfaction they deserve. She does work hard, but she's just being a cry baby in my book.

Kou-kun's shirt being pulled by the other girl. I want more info on her. Also isn't dating prohibited during work or any sort of intimate relationship with an employee, in regards to Ko and the girl?

Jul 22, 2014 11:07 PM

Sep 2013
" it never rains but it pours"

It was sad to see so many things come at Ohana in just one day; but, she probably did it because she felt it was the right thing to do. And so , like before, if she did because she thought it was right, then everything will work out.

A great episode!!
"You and your third dimension"
Aug 20, 2014 1:38 PM
Jun 2014
Her mom has a heart of steel LOL
Sep 11, 2014 6:21 PM

Jul 2014
oof, having your mom betray you and realizing that the person you like is getting further away must be tough. I felt so bad for ohana in this ep
Dec 24, 2014 10:44 AM

Jul 2013
dammit, don't die kouXohana ;-;
Mar 16, 2015 5:26 PM

Jun 2013
Goodness, this episode almost had me in tears!
May 1, 2015 5:40 PM

Dec 2009
Teared up a little at the end there ;-;
Jul 20, 2015 4:52 PM

Jul 2012
Holy crap this was a good episode. I teared up when It was Minko and Touru running after Ohana. They actually went after her 😭

Whenever she yelled at Ko for not giving the girl an answer, but then suddenly stopped because she's doing the same thing.

I really dislike her mom. She's such a horrible mom. I'm so glad that Ohaha turned out the way she did.

"I've never been moved in so many ways in one day before." So many emotions in this episode.

An94hero said:
Her mom has a heart of steel LOL

She has no heart.
Aug 4, 2015 10:36 PM

Jul 2014
Ohana...hate seeing her like this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2015 8:28 AM

Dec 2014
Ohana's mom is quite loveable, isn't she...
Feb 15, 2016 12:19 PM
Jul 2014
I hope she'll continue to fight! Of course, she should let the word out about protesting-she should call the TV station and told them about it and I'm sure that they would have done report about it! That alone would generate enough pressure on her mom's boss! I've been there myself few times and we were always successful!
Mar 30, 2016 3:51 PM

Jan 2013
Ohana is such a breath of fresh air as an MC. She is very relatable and it makes the audience connect with her. A normally headstrong girl has now become uneasy as previous things which were guaranteed begin to fall apart. Thoroughly enjoying this anime. Mari Okada gets a lot of hate but I personally like most of the shows she works on. I'm excited to continue this.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Apr 11, 2017 1:47 PM
Nov 2015
oh god "maybe ohana's japanese deserves a 5 out of 10 too" killed me
May 17, 2017 2:57 AM

Jun 2013

"What the heck was this episode, huh?"

What a waste. This episode had the potential to finally deliver on Ohana's mother issues...

...but it barely does anything with it. Instead we get more Ko-chan nonsense. He has, like, no screen time for ten episodes, and yet I'm expected to care about what happens between him and Ohana. I mean, the only two things we know about him (after, again, ten episodes) are: 1, he's in love with Ohana, and 2, he's nice. Really intriguing stuff, isn't it. (And he even looks boring as hell; I mentioned this in another thread, but I don't feel like I can stress it enough.) I can at least appreciate the attempt at drama regarding Ohana's mother despite her lack of presence because she's the whole reason why Ohana ended up at the inn, but Kou-chan has had essentially no bearing on the main plot so far.

Well, at least there were some funny moments in the episode, too.

Some of them unintentional.

nznz said:
That she sees her daughter as equal is actually something I liked from the beginning. I think that's something not to uncommon for single mums. Yet that doesn't justify her behaviour. Would you treat a friend like that, a family member? Even as an equal you're not that cold. But it would be ok if we at least got some half-assed explanation why she turned out that way. I can only judge from what I saw till now. It's time that they show us what happend between Satsuki and her own mother.

[...]

You say you understand her because she has to earn a living for her child, yet she also has no problem to get rid of Ohana whenever she becomes a burden and doesn't even bother to contact her when back home. What kind of mother doesn't even call? Or leaves her daughter in the rain, alone in Tokyo at night?

[...]

Her behaviour doesn't add up. She's just a flat cardboard character so we can feel bad for Ohana going through all the hardship, obvious contrived melodrama so Minchi can pick her up all in tears. That's downright wasted potential in a show primarily about characters.

Well put. I think with better direction and a better script the same events could have been more effective as drama. I mean, it's seriously not that hard to pluck on my heartstrings. I'm not made of stone. Although it does help when there's no BS romantic melodrama to distract me.

But really, the fact that Ohana doesn't question these things is also pretty bad. For example, even having her narrate "why didn't she at least call" and then flashing an image of the manager would have been better than nothing.
LeeTailorMay 17, 2017 4:06 AM
Jul 1, 2017 2:01 PM

Sep 2015
Really messy episode. Glad they're trying to do something with the Mom. Not so glad they're still pushing the Kou drama front and center. The plot was just really dumb. And once again I question how Ohana can just drop everything and run to Tokyo. Without a plan or this time a place to stay. Her meltdown at the end was a little melodramatic too. I liked protester Ohana though. Might have made up for how this episode had potential but was kind of weak.
Aug 27, 2017 12:38 AM

Jun 2015
Dang, the ending hit pretty hard. I was waiting for Ohana to break at some point, she works way too hard and tries to act mature, but she's still just a little kid in so many ways. The only thing her mom has done for in this regard is teach her to be self-reliant in the worst possible way: by doing nothing at all, and then acting like she's a great parent for providing food and a bed. I don't like mom one bit. And now with Kou having been confessed to by that other girl, I think it's time to get the hell outta Tokyo.

Hopefully Ohana will stay in Kissuiso where she can grow up a bit. I think that environment is important for her, not just because of the people there, but because she's held responsible for her actions.

This is good stuff! I'm interested to see how Ohana will mature in the latter half of the series.
Sep 19, 2017 2:41 PM
May 2012
it's now damn clear she likes kou, if this shifts to tooru i will definitely lose my shit.
Nov 18, 2017 10:25 AM

Aug 2015
One of the better episodes so far. Ohana's impulsiveness is a bit of a problem, I'm surprised she gets away with what she does. Satsuki seems like a pretty plain character who exists solely for the sake of troubling our protagonist, yet I'd like to see more focus on her. If executed properly, there could be some interesting conflict with Ohana as she was the cause of many of her problems, which in turn could open up a lot of ways for Ohana to overcome her own struggles. Satsuki's intentions seem pretty unreasonable at this point though, so I hope her relationship with the grandmother is explained, and why she is so adamant about not visiting the inn.

Ohana and Kou's talk in the cafe was executed decently. Ohana realised how hypocritical she was being as if she wasn't putting enough stress on to herself already, however on the other hand Kou barely talks and we have no idea what he's thinking, which further reinforces my view that he's just a bland character.
Feb 18, 2018 1:43 PM

Jul 2015
So Ohana's mother was the one who wrote the review, and she put a bad score to the inn without having gone there due to the orders from her superiors, this is so unfair and Ohana couldn't handle that and went to Tokyo to protest, sadly without much success in convincing her to go to the inn and show her how wrong she is.

Ohana also met with Kouichi there, looks like there is a girl who confessed to him, but he half rejected her, I loved how Ohana was going to answer with a 'be clear with that!' but then she realized she did the exact same thing to him before, this was a very dramatic episode considering all the emotional struggles she's going through at the same time.
May 20, 2018 2:24 AM
Dec 2014
I want to run an inn with a bunch of cute girls. What? I'm too old? That's ageism!
Dec 22, 2018 4:11 PM

Nov 2016
Too much to deal with for Ohana, but as much as I like her, she could make her life a lot easier, lol.

Pretty good episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 27, 2019 9:28 PM

Jul 2016
-Kou has been waiting for a response for nearly a whole year... that guy sure loves Ohana.

-Oh, I thought Ohana's mother was a writer, not a critic/journalist...

I found it curious that there wasn't any mention about the "undercover reporter" from episode 9, you know, the girl who was typing on her computer at the end of said episode. I don't know, it just felt odd that Satsuki was the one who write the review in the end but well...

All in all, it was an interesting episode. I would say there was too much crying for my taste but since Ohana was dealing with so many different emotions inside of her, I can only empathize with her. Her outburst at the end was something she really needed for sure.

That said, let's see what will happen in the next episode. I swear the preview truly wants to play with my expectations...
Nov 2, 2019 4:53 PM

Feb 2012
Woot Love Pentagon
bookstore girl -> Koichi -> Ohana <-Tooru <- Minchi

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 6, 2020 12:56 PM

Jul 2013
WOOW how could her mom do that to her, writing that review and doing all those other things when Ohana was younger. Always putting herself and her work before Ohana. Couldn't even cook for her in preschool. Made her move to a whole different environment with her grandma, whom she had never met before, to do a dumb-ass, short-lived "night flight." Then always expecting Ohana to forgive her. What a heartless person. What kind of mom does that?? 😡 Explain yourself, woman!
And psh are you just gonna give up on her like this, Kou?! Moving on to a different girl already when she finally knows how you feel? Guess you're not THAT serious about her... sigh... idk... Ugh the way that girl hung on to Kou's shirt tho 🙄 Man, poor Ohana. 10/10 triggering but great episode
NinjinAiJul 6, 2020 1:16 PM
Jan 31, 2021 1:42 AM

Feb 2012
I didn't like this plot convenience, Ohana's mum being the one who wrote the review, of all the people in Japan. It felt like a cheap attempt to add more drama. Other than that, the direction in this episode was superb, a lot of nice little details, camera angles etc. And at the end when Ohana was running from the car and emotionally loaded stills from the episode flashed on the screen interspersed with increasingly rapid body shots, that was a really nice touch.
May 7, 2021 2:09 PM
Apr 2018
Probably the most disappointing episode so far and I've liked almost everything prior.

After the conclusion in Episode 9, Ohona's mother being the writer is just eh. Even the confrontation between them felt weak considering how Ohona has a lot of pent up emotions.

I guess Ohana recognizing her own hypocrisy with Kou was cool. Still disappointed in the lack of dialogue between them.
May 24, 2021 2:55 PM
Oct 2016
Weird episode, it actually acknowledges how convenient the whole setup is but I still don't buy it, because the drama wasn't even that good.
I say it wasn't good but it still scored some points when it made Ohana face a lot of variables that are affecting her and her surroundings which is the inn that she is learning to love.
A lot of things were done in this episode and I felt that it was quite rushed insted of waiting and space it out bit more, so the viewer could digest a bit better and watch Ohana grow gradually. I think it was done this way so it could take more impact in a whole episode (as Ohana points out), at least the anime was aware of that..

An ok episode.
Jun 20, 2021 4:24 AM

Mar 2019
Watched this before going to bed. Replayed the last scene a lot. Poor Ohana, but yea welcome to the real life when you grow up. Though you were kind of dumb. Not caring about Kou's love and then get jealous when you see him even just talking with someone else. That ending was sad nonetheless. Kinda realistic and I like it. The kid who doesn't think and somehow gets lucky every time she does something by instict realizes that not everything goes the way she wants.

Also OII, what was that "see you" at the end!!
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jun 23, 2021 11:25 PM

Jun 2020
Their ratings were low even though they seem like they don't deserve that low of a score, Ohana's confronting the critique/writer of the review this seems interesting since she's always been a confrontable girl

Wait it was her mom who wrote it oh my that's hilarious, Now they're fighting this mother and daughter style, Oh the flashbacks when Ohana was just a little girl the temper she has still even made her cute or even so cuter, She met Kou finally until there are some misunderstandings but at least they had a little chat together, She's not going to back down until her mother sees Kissui for herself

Ohana in the rain pretty gloomy if you ask me but Minko and Tooru are there to pick her up a pretty sad day for Ohana I don't like it one bit.
Oct 14, 2021 6:11 AM
Aug 2021
So many sad moments. It's hard to say whether or not one side is wrong in any situation of a unrequited love, yet Ohana felt so much guilt, she even dropped the wrapper on the ground.
Very strong episode.
Jul 1, 2023 12:14 AM

Jan 2013
i hate her mother soo f-ing much
Jan 8, 4:21 PM
May 2020
this one was good, its like ohana reached an emotional boiling point; i guess with kouchan and her mom everything kinda piles on
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 25, 2011

328 by Jax »»
May 5, 12:11 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

metalsnakezero - Apr 17, 2011

256 by kirA_-_ »»
Apr 22, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 18, 2011

110 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 11:08 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jrittmayer - Sep 11, 2011

120 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 10:40 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zimno - Sep 4, 2011

122 by Lazulite »»
Jan 10, 12:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.