Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 13, 2008 2:22 PM
May 2008
BlueBeanApr 8, 2009 4:58 AM
Jun 13, 2008 2:32 PM

Nov 2007
If you're really so desperate to know I suggest you just read the novels yourself.
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi
Jun 14, 2008 1:13 AM
May 2008
BlueBeanApr 8, 2009 4:58 AM
Jun 16, 2008 6:58 AM
Jun 2008
though he has interesting relations both with mikuri and yuki, i'm pretty sure he has serious feelings for haruhi, he may not totally understand it now himself but the bond between them is really huge!
Aug 5, 2008 8:21 PM

Apr 2008
Hmm, even from the anime, you can figure out how he feels about Mikuru. But about the other characters, well, he tends to rely on Nagato for help more than anything, so they're like very good friends. As for Haruhi, he generally states that he only thinks of her as a close friend.
Aug 7, 2008 4:14 AM

Aug 2008
Hahh, yes he is. From a source I forgot, I read that the author dropped a few hints:

-Kyon likes Yuki, although not in that lurvy way
-He has a good chance to end up with Haruhi
-Mikuru, nah, he only feels sorry for her
-Koizumi, WTF!?!?!

Dec 14, 2008 8:29 PM

Aug 2008
Kyon obviously has a crush on Mikuru, and vis versa. He has some attraction for Yuki, and as she's mainly incapable of processing emotions or at least showing them the same way humans do, it's not clear what she thinks of him. Kyon has no attraction for Haruhi, but it's very likely that deep down she likes him (romantically). Koizumi... squicky.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Dec 14, 2008 8:33 PM

Nov 2008
ShanaSakai said:

-Kyon likes Yuki, although not in that lurvy way
-He has a good chance to end up with Haruhi
-Mikuru, nah, he only feels sorry for her

That's what I thought from watching.
Feb 15, 2009 5:09 PM
Dec 2007
While I do think that Kyon feels sorry for Mikuru, I don't think that'd be enough to spur a crush on. Yes, he does like Mikuru and he can admit it. She's kind, thoughtful and considerate; her and Haruhi are complete polar opposites. Barely skirting around the subject, I personally think that Kyon doesn't like Mikuru as much as he thinks he does. It's far easier for him to accept his crush on someone like Mikuru, then face something overwhelmingly complicated about Haruhi.

I do think Kyon has feelings for Haruhi, but he avoids the subject personally, choosing to ignore it and concentrate on how 'bothersome' she is, and whatnot. Koizumi has pointed it out to Kyon several times about Haruhi's obvious fascination with him, the most recent being in the ninth novel, but Kyon acts like it's the first time the thought of Haruhi liking him came into his head. Even with Koizumi's heavy dropping of hints.

There is no chance at all for Kyon and Koizumi. Kyon has stated before that he 'definitley doesn't bat for the other side', and with Koizumi, most likely vice versa, despite his 'playful come ons'. I personally think that Koizumi might even have feelings for Haruhi. The fourth novel is what spurred this thought on, but really, primarily this thread is about Kyon. So Koizumi is definitley out of the running. Even though,

Speaking of Nagato, Kyon feels a deep connection to her, and she is someone who he has built an absolute trust with. He can confide in her, and know that she'll be there to help. She's like a comfort blanket. His feelings for her aren't romantic at all, but I've heard people mention that there's a possibility of Nagato liking him. How silly, I know. She can't even feel emotions. However, she is getting more human-like, and there are plenty of indicators to back that up.

There is no hope of Mikuru getting with him. Mikuru is strictly prohibited from dating anyone from this time frame, and I imagine she got into quite a bit of hot water for teasing Kyon, which led him and Haruhi into closed space, which almost brought upon the end of the world. It's clear that Mikuru has feelings for him, although she can definitley not act on them.

And finally, we get to the new, obvious contender.
Feb 15, 2009 5:10 PM

May 2007
kyon is in love with itsuki you silly.
Mar 11, 2009 7:14 PM

Dec 2008
RetroRainbow said:
And finally, we get to the new, obvious contender.

Putting aside all of the comedy, Kyon and Yuki are really close, albeit I wouldn't exactly label their relationship as romantic; I even have a hard time believing that they have a platonic relationship. It's just that they both know that they can (or need) to rely on one another as they can save the other pending on the circumstances.

Kyon relies heavily on Yuki when the SOS Brigade or its individual members are threatened by a supernatural force. Yuki, AFAIK, approaches Kyon with a lot of respect, as he seems to be the only one that can really read/understand her.

Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Mar 11, 2009 7:56 PM

Jan 2008
If we look at it conventionally, Haruhi and Kyon = main characters, therefore they like each other.

But whatever, just read the novels, or wait for season 2 if...there is a season 2.

Banner made by suikka
May 17, 2009 8:26 PM

Oct 2008
I like Haruhi and Kyon, but I can see him with Yuki as well. I dunno, I think Yuki and Kyon have a lot more going for them then you guys are letting on like in vol. 4

I also think Kyon has some serious unidentified feelings for Yuki. I mean, he's kinda the only person on planet Earth that cares about her, maybe even the galaxy. Look at how he takes special care to keep an eye on her,

So yeah, I still like Haruhi and Kyon better, but I think Yuki is becoming tough competition.

The Mikuru/Kyon thing I think is just infatuation.

Fuck Koizumi/Kyon. (Fuck Koizumi in general because of the long boring scenes we have to read through with him.) Like, Kyon is definitely straight, I dunno about Koizumi. (Or he might like Haruhi.)

And as a side note, I'd like to say that I don't think actual couples will be born at the end of this series. I bet there will just be an indication of a Haruhi Kyon ending and Kyon will make some sarcastic remark about reality. To be honest I really wouldn't want it any other way. :)
Jul 3, 2009 5:12 PM

Jun 2009
Kyon definitely has feelings for Haruhi. There are too many hints to ignore.
Especially in the light novels.

If anyone's getting together then it's Kyon and Haruhi.
After all Haruhi is the type of person that in the beginning Kyon really wanted to think like. Kyon said that he would like to find aliens and time travelers and that but gave up on the idea. But Haruhi didn't. So in a way the two of they are similar.

As for the Kyon/Koizumi, Sorry yaoi fangirl's, but there is not a chance in hell that is going to happen. Plus I have this theory that Koizumi might be the son of Kyon and haruhi but it's only a theory.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jul 5, 2009 8:50 PM

Mar 2009
I just finished the third novel, The boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I have to admit that it's highly probable that Kyon is in love with Mikuru (eww), I hate how many "sweet" commentaries he makes about her D: ... I would love that Kyon would fall for Haruhi :( (or maybe Yuki)

Jul 13, 2009 1:13 PM

Mar 2009
@Ljusalfheim: That's called a libido. She's extremely cute and sexy and basically Haruhi's (and most people's) idea of what moe is supposed to be. His lustful thoughts don't have much to do with the chances of him loving/getting with anyone.

The obvious debate, of course, is Nagato and Haruhi.
I think Kyon has at least by now developed more of a fascination with Haruhi than she's ever had with him. I always got the impression that she only latched him into the position of sidekick because he was the only one who managed to talk to her, and thus her first friend in what must have been a long time. For a while, he adamantly only put forth his annoyance with her, but he is to an extent intrigued and more than a little amazed with her.
Yuki. . .I agree about the absolute trust and confidence in each other they have. If she continues to become more human, he may end up crushing on her. Until then, platonic!OTP. Then again, what Kyon loves most is the unusual but endearing day-to-day activities of the brigade as a whole. Even though the disturbances are part of what make it precious to him, threats to their daily peace, and naturally any member are something he does everything to avoid or settle. The SOS as a whole are some kind of OTP5, so it'd be a little off for anyone to date, and in spite of crushes and such, their connection to the others would remain. The group aspect seems more important to the series than any couple.

Jul 19, 2009 2:48 PM

Jan 2009
The vanishment of Haruhi Suzimiya will explain Yuki's feelings for Kyon.
Feb 7, 2012 8:16 AM

Jan 2010
I think Kyon likes Haruhi (deep inside). And Haruhi too. Yuki may like Kyon too, though ( remember the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya). Koizumi...He probably likes noone. I think Mikuru doesn`t like anyone too and Kyon just cares for her like a sister.
But anyway, I think they`ll all just stay friends in the end, because (even though i like KyonxHaruhi) I just can`t imagine Kyon and Haruhi going out, kissing and all.
Feb 19, 2012 1:15 PM
Feb 2012
ClockLock said:
I think Mikuru doesn`t like anyone too and Kyon just cares for her like a sister.

What kind of guy keeps a hidden folder on his computer with naughty pictures of his sister for his "private viewing pleasure"? If you do that kind of thing you're on the wrong board LOL

I thinks it's hillarious how many Mikuru haters (I'm guessing 90% female) go to extreme lengths to deny that Kyon has a crush on her in spite of mountains of evidence to the contrary. It's practiacally on every second page of the novels, not to mention the fact that he even EXPLICITLY MENTIONS that he is in love with Mikuru (or at least thinks he is) at least twice in the first novel alone.

She's also the only character he ever contemplates having a releationship with.

That doesn't mean that it will ever happen of course - the only way the story can come to a positive conclusion will be if Haruhi and Kyon end up together, but if Kyon loved her from the beginning there would be no story. So instead, Kyon is repeatedly mentioning that Haruhi would be great if only she stopped being such a b****. Eventually, if Haruhi matured enough, Kyon would fall for her.

But until then, Mikuru provides the romatic material (and the comic releif!)
Mar 3, 2012 11:52 AM
Nov 2011
It's Haruhi. It's quite obvious he knows she's "in love" with him, and he just doesn't want to admit that he's "in love" with her too. Koizumi mentions it many times, and even Kyon monologues about it. The author's smart in not revealing it immediately, the impact on the story would be too strong.
Mar 3, 2012 11:57 AM

Sep 2011
hes in love with haruhi hes just trying desperately to prove to both the viewer and himself that he isnt

hes one of those narrators that pretty much lies to himself and viewer half the time, thats one of the reasons he so awesome

we will see when haruhi finally end sin 20 centuries

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 3, 2012 11:57 AM

Apr 2011
I think he loves Haruhi, likes Yuki a lot, likes Asahina too but consider her more like a moeblob.
Mar 3, 2012 12:03 PM

Sep 2011
fantomu said:
I think he loves Haruhi, likes Yuki a lot, likes Asahina too but consider her more like a moeblob.
yah this sounds about dead on

plus you really could just look at the title of the show to find out who he would get with, its really obvious

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 23, 2012 9:48 AM

Jul 2010
- Kyon lusts after Mikuru, but he knows that it could never work because of her being a time traveler.

- In Disappearance, Kyon clearly chooses Haruhi over Yuki. He might have feelings for Yuki that could be love under other circumstances, but he chooses not to live in the alternate world she created for them to be together.

- Kyon loves Haruhi. He realizes that at the end of Disappearance, but is unwilling to admit it to her or anyone else, including himself.

The final scene of the anime episode "Someday in the Rain" is a good symbolic summary of their relationship. In that episode which is also the last one before the Disappearance movie chronologically, there are some serious romance hints: Sharing an umbrella - an iconic symbol indicating that the two people are lovers in Japanese culture. Similarly, a woman with an umbrella symbolizes that she is looking for love, or ripe for love. Then Haruhi takes the umbrella (symbolizing that she is seeking love) and does the "pull down the eyelid and stick out her tongue" then runs away, leaving Kyon all cold and wet. This could be considered a symbolic sequence suggesting that their relationship is approaching that of lovers, Haruhi wants it deep down, but she is not ready to admit it and wants him to pursue her, not the other way around... Or it could just be that she is a jerk and wants Kyon to get wet on the way home...
Aug 3, 2012 12:02 PM

May 2011
I'm amused by the fact that people keeps denying the fact that Kyon has feelings for Miruku, even though he explicitly states that he is [not just once] .
zensunni said:

- In Disappearance, Kyon clearly chooses Haruhi over Yuki. He might have feelings for Yuki that could be love under other circumstances, but he chooses not to live in the alternate world she created for them to be together.

No, not really, he chooses Yuki [RU] over Yuki [AU] in "Disappearance", not Haruhi over Yuki .
VanzZzAug 3, 2012 12:44 PM
Aug 20, 2012 11:07 AM

Jan 2010
Vanihm said:
ClockLock said:
I think Mikuru doesn`t like anyone too and Kyon just cares for her like a sister.

What kind of guy keeps a hidden folder on his computer with naughty pictures of his sister for his "private viewing pleasure"? If you do that kind of thing you're on the wrong board LOL

I thinks it's hillarious how many Mikuru haters (I'm guessing 90% female) go to extreme lengths to deny that Kyon has a crush on her in spite of mountains of evidence to the contrary. It's practiacally on every second page of the novels, not to mention the fact that he even EXPLICITLY MENTIONS that he is in love with Mikuru (or at least thinks he is) at least twice in the first novel alone.

She's also the only character he ever contemplates having a releationship with.

That doesn't mean that it will ever happen of course - the only way the story can come to a positive conclusion will be if Haruhi and Kyon end up together, but if Kyon loved her from the beginning there would be no story. So instead, Kyon is repeatedly mentioning that Haruhi would be great if only she stopped being such a b****. Eventually, if Haruhi matured enough, Kyon would fall for her.

But until then, Mikuru provides the romatic material (and the comic releif!)

Hey, I never said i hated Mikuru or something. I just don't think Kyon loves her in that way :P He may think he's in love with her, but that doesn't mean he is. People are often confused in their feelings, and that's normal.
No offense to KyonxMikuru supporters, that's just my opinion.
Sep 16, 2012 1:04 AM
May 2012
haha.. he might end up with tsuruya or asakura.... ^_^
Jun 7, 2013 7:59 PM
Mar 2013
Thugnificent- said:
I'm amused by the fact that people keeps denying the fact that Kyon has feelings for Miruku, even though he explicitly states that he is [not just once]

I'm also very amused at the fact people so readily and easily dismiss Mikuru, given the fact that she's the only one with whom he has a very clear and definite romantic attraction to. Heck, it's stated ad nauseum in the novels.

Thugnificent- said:
No, not really, he chooses Yuki [RU] over Yuki [AU] in "Disappearance", not Haruhi over Yuki .

This is absolutely and completely true.

Never once in Dissapearance, be it in the novel or in the movie, is Kyon in the "Haruhi or Yuki: who do you like more? Go!" position. His decision of choosing the old world had nothing to do with choosing Haruhi over anything -- fuck, that even borders on cognitive dissonance, given the fact that it's clearly shown in the movie and stated in the novels that the group's personalities were unchanged(save for Yuki). So are people honestly saying that he gave-up haruhi...for the exact same person?

No, the bottom end is, any preference in Disspearance is stemming from the fact that "The old world is more fun". "Fun" in this case being the fact that it has gods, mysterious powers, aliens, time-travellers and espers.

Well, that and the fact that he liked Yuki[RU] better than Yuki[AU].

~~~

That being said, we don't know who he "loves", or even if he really loves any of the girls. The one with the most clear romantic connection is obviously Mikuru, as even Haruhi's and Nagato's scenes don't nescessarily need to be construed as romantic(but could).

He's clearly affectionate towards them, though. As for who he likes more, that's also not a clear-cut anwser, even with novel 11, though it's obvious he has strong feelings for the three of them.

I think the only quote which even mentions one over the other would only be this one, really:

Charmed at First Sight LOVER said:
In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously. No matter what happens, Haruhi would always find a way out, Asahina-san only needs to remain as herself, while Koizumi can go to hell for all I care, but...

Taking this at face value, whatever his feelings for Yuki might be, they're the deepest so far.
Jul 6, 2013 11:39 AM

May 2012
I have 2 things to say.

1. Haruhi is the main character. Even her name is the series title. Just maybe, maybe, kyon might have feeling for her. MAYBE, but i dont see any special moment like u know, reach that feeling of love or any deeper emotions from kyon to haruhi.

2. So far, i've seen that kyon had a feelings for yuki. not physically like he did for asahina. I mean, think of everything he did for yuki so far. well that's my opinion.
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Aug 15, 2013 6:25 AM
Feb 2013
Talking about the whole serie, Kyon can easily fall in love with both Yuki and Haruhi.
Let's see at the end what will happen...
Aug 16, 2013 11:03 PM
Aug 2013
edd2d said:
Talking about the whole serie, Kyon can easily fall in love with both Yuki and Haruhi.
Let's see at the end what will happen...

I agree completely. I think it might lean a bit more towards Haruhi because there are ALOT of subtle instances even within forms of dishonest narration regarding feelings for her. and a huge instance is in Novel 11. she seems to be the only person in college with Kyon PLUS his future self calls out to HER when she's confusedly talking to high school Kyon. idk about you but that's a first. If I remember correctly, he's only gone out of his way to talk to Haruhi for special instances. So taking this into consideration it could be that he meets up with her frequently in college which would mean they are indeed closer by that point in time because they go out of their way to see each other and are POSSIBLY together or at least close(r) to it. Those are my speculations. Also another is because perhaps as she's grown up: her desire for Aliens, time travelers and espers has diminished and she just wants to be around Kyon: the one truly close person she's ever had in her life and despite his own feelings for others: Kyon may feel the same way. Also we don't know what his gift to her was either. There are too many loose ends to be certain though. The next light novel "or season. whatever comes first" will hopefully shine some more light or give some more answers.
Oct 4, 2013 4:07 PM

Apr 2012
Kyon loves Haruhi! Why? because that way is more interesting.
Looking at how Haruhi will react if Kyon picks another girl is kinda interesting though
Feb 21, 2014 1:16 AM

Oct 2013
Spoiler

Kyon is the main male. Haruhi is the main female. That should tell everyone who he will end up with. There isn't a single anime/manga I have seen or read where this isn't true

Mar 4, 2014 12:04 PM

Feb 2009
Kyon is just a pedo. He outright tells in Editor-in-chief straight ahead that

More topics from this board

» Intuition Thoughts/Opinions

Sosbrigade_123 - Jun 24, 2021

6 by anizawa89 »»
Jan 21, 11:25 AM

» New Haruhi novel announced

Pitto_ - Sep 24, 2023

15 by amare135 »»
Nov 13, 2023 12:16 PM

» Can I mark this series complete after Intuition?

ProsjektAero - Jun 2, 2023

5 by abystoma2 »»
Sep 2, 2023 11:51 AM

Poll: » Best light novel in the series?

EnduringInsanity - Apr 24, 2013

11 by removed-user »»
Mar 14, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi Series Chapter 41 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Feb 20, 2023

1 by AnimeIsWrong »»
Feb 25, 2023 11:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.