Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2011 6:36 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"I'm not a freak, I'm a Devil"

Somewhat good and interesting storyline, brutal punches and an insane villain. This movie is DBZ at his best.

Might lack some depth, but when watching this, it's the entertainment value that matters. Good movie!
VeethornDec 20, 2021 3:36 PM
May 11, 2011 9:46 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
bad movie 6/10 , so confusing and easy going... like wtf.. it was damn relaxed battle... it felt like everything was game.. like WTF MOVIE
Jul 31, 2011 3:47 PM

Jun 2011
this movie was epic
Aug 1, 2011 10:31 PM

Jul 2010
i watched the movie and still didnt understand why he hates goku so much. becuz he was crying alot when they were born?? lol
but other than that it was kinda epic, a real killer here. i was hoping gohan would have fought a bit more. and its weird seeing vegeta being all realistic all of a sudden with "he's too strong"
ending was kinda stupid, what were they thinking
"o shit we only have 2 minutes worth of animation left, how do we kill him?"
"lets make it like pokemon and goku will do a critical hit, super effective attack!"

Aug 4, 2011 1:15 PM

Aug 2010
One of the best DBZ films that I have seen so far, I maybe only prefer Super Android 13. This film was fun to watch (except for Roshi, he was pretty awful in this film) and Broly makes for a good villain, although the way he lost was weird.

And Vegeta looked really bad in this film, the writers didn't like him, methinks.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 25, 2012 1:19 PM

Aug 2012
My favorite DBZ movie.

Mar 29, 2013 5:34 PM

Apr 2010
My favorite DBZ movie too. At least this one has a good story and a motivation for the evilness of Broly and his father.
Also, Broly is iconic to Dragon Ball universe.
Watching it with japanese audio, I really love the musics of the final fight.
8.5/10.
Apr 6, 2013 3:32 AM

Jun 2011
That ass pull at the end there -.- 6/10
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 27, 2013 1:56 PM

May 2012
This was a really good movie I must say, really enjoyed watching this one! Lets see what the 9th movie has to offer!
Dec 26, 2013 2:16 PM
Dec 2009
kratos_aurion said:
My favorite DBZ movie too. At least this one has a good story and a motivation for the evilness of Broly and his father.
8.5/10.

Someone...please tell me. What was his motivation? >.<
Jan 5, 2014 9:12 PM

Jun 2009
I lied when I said that movie 7 was the best movie so far, this is. I guess it goes to show what you can do with an extra half an hour of screen time (most DBZ movies so far have been 45-50mins, this was an hour and 15mins). Broly is such an iconic DBZ villain.

Quoting what I posted last movie.

Tyestor said:
There's a list on Kanzenshuu that shows where each movie takes place and where you can watch them while watching DBZ despite the fact that all the DBZ movies technically take place in an alternate universe. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=573

ToG25thBaam said:
That ass pull at the end there -.- 6/10

Welcome to Dragon Ball Z.

yue5000 said:
kratos_aurion said:
8.5/10.

Someone...please tell me. What was his motivation? >.<

Did you even watch the movie?
Mar 1, 2014 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
This was kind of boring actually (well let's just say watching it at 2am to 3am was not the best idea). But still.
I don't know... the series with Cell are a lot more interesting.
6/10.
Jul 5, 2014 10:43 AM

Oct 2009
Bulma looked nice in this film

supermegasonic said:
i watched the movie and still didnt understand why he hates goku so much. becuz he was crying alot when they were born?? lol

It probably irritated him and didn't allow to sleep properly
SerhiykoAug 11, 2014 6:20 AM
Mar 7, 2015 12:19 PM

Jan 2012
Broly rocks .

Jul 22, 2015 10:49 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty fun movie the action in this film was crazy and really awesome, and aside from Broly's lackluster motives the only real complaint I had with this was Vegeta seemed a little outta character.
Jul 25, 2015 6:00 PM

Mar 2013
Was okay until ass pull at the end...
Sep 3, 2015 9:28 AM

Sep 2014
This Movie is Great. And All the credit goes to The Legendary Super Saiyan.

Broly truly is "The Personification of Destruction and Carnage".

For me, Broly is the MOST BADASS CHARACTER EVER CREATED.
Nov 10, 2015 2:57 AM

Aug 2014
I loved the movie, Broly is truly overpowering the Z fighters, but it was so unrealistic how Goku managed to one-hit kill him..

Those cherry trees were nice tho.

7/10
Nov 25, 2015 12:16 PM
Sep 2014
Bad Ending
Jan 20, 2016 9:27 AM

Aug 2012
kratos_aurion said:
8.5/10.

I'm so glad the french dub always had the original japanese soundtrack, the musics are so goooood. Especially compared to the rock ost of the american dub o_o

Also we kept most of the iconic japanese shouts and screams during transformations ♥

Anyway, Broly was and is still my fav villain. I remember collecting DBZ Bandai Power Level CARDASS cards as a 7-10 years old kid and not understanding who this character was, and not understanding either why I never saw him in the anime lol.

I was so glad when I got the VHS of this movie for my Christmas later ♥

Jan 20, 2016 2:26 PM

Apr 2010
Hyunckel said:
kratos_aurion said:
8.5/10.

I'm so glad the french dub always had the original japanese soundtrack, the musics are so goooood. Especially compared to the rock ost of the american dub o_o

Also we kept most of the iconic japanese shouts and screams during transformations ♥

Anyway, Broly was and is still my fav villain. I remember collecting DBZ Bandai Power Level CARDASS cards as a 7-10 years old kid and not understanding who this character was, and not understanding either why I never saw him in the anime lol.

Also italian dub has japanese OST. I never liked those english themes, to me it's not the same Dragon Ball Z without its original japanese music.

Broly is an iconic character even if he does not exist in the manga.
Jan 20, 2016 2:32 PM

Aug 2012
kratos_aurion said:
Hyunckel said:

Also italian dub has japanese OST. I never liked those english themes, to me it's not the same Dragon Ball Z without its original japanese music.

Broly is an iconic character even if he does not exist in the manga.

Hell yeah, Broly is the only one to have 3 movies for himself! Even though we barely saw him in BioBroly movie (and it was a clone) before he transformed in that giant pile of mud lol.

It seems most of Europe got the original japanese soundtrack ... Well, it was at a time where France companies spent quite some cash to actively import or co-produce anime so yeah.

Now though most anime pass through USA first and get ridiculous censorship / editing (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! come to mind) =/

I remember having to import the japanese soundtrack from the JP ISO of Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Sparking Meteor) and then burn the EU ISO to play on my PS2... But it was WELL WORTH IT ahah. Played Broly for dozens of hours and pwnd my friends :p (Sadly he was not as overpowered as in Tenkaichi 2 though )

Aug 11, 2016 12:39 AM

Feb 2016
That was quite the movie, better than the others by far imo. Loved how Vegeta was just scared shitless when he realized who Broly was when he transformed. So much for being a Saiyan, eh? Saiyans seem to pride on a fierce battle yet Vegeta just was terrified, quaking in his boots at the sign of the battle this time around.

The legend must've of really stuck in hm a as a kid growing up or something... lol.

Also thought it was pretty funny how they all fell off the cliff at that one part and Krillin just gets up and sits up ontop like "Sup Bros?".

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Aug 13, 2016 9:38 PM

Sep 2013
SUCH a bad movie. Broly is easily the most over-rated of all the Dragon Ball characters. He's basically the Hulk with less character development. No depth at all. Just an hour of him yelling and breaking stuff. Ugh

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 21, 2017 10:34 AM
Aug 2014
Broly is such a savage, usually the antagonists have some kind of goal, but he just wants destruction and fight (like most Saiyans) . Which is why he reacted that way to Goku who also only wants to fight.

Ending was a bit weak though, but that seems to be par for the course for DBZ movies.
Jun 27, 2017 8:48 AM

Mar 2016
Shitty movie... Paragus's background story is completely bullshit and doesn't even make sense and that final asspull... -.-
OMG!! I watched it because Broly is so iconic and I got very disappointed (But I liked the beginning - good "Slice of Life")

Overall: 4/10
azertz99Jul 23, 2017 7:16 PM
Jan 4, 2019 10:25 AM

Dec 2008
Vegeta - first he wanted to defeat Legendary Saiyanin then he turned a coward without reason (I think they dragged him ;P),
Piccolo - arrive from nowhere to save the day,
Broly - hating Goku without a reason.
Jul 26, 2019 9:25 PM
Jan 2017
yeahhh this one is so-so for me. I liked the concept of "legendary super seiyan". and the music for this movie was awesome! but everything else...
1.The dumb comic relief scenes w/ drunk aster Roshi seemed janky and outta place, as in soemthing serious and epic would happen then all of a sudden cuts to loook how drunk roshi is.
2. I know Broly's motivation, and like everyone else I thought it was dumb
3.the whole backstory was bit iffy
Sep 5, 2019 6:28 AM

Nov 2017
This was a fun re-watch. There is some sloppy writing here and there though. &++ the way the writers portrayed Vegeta in this is so dumb. They made him bitch made!

But on the bright side, the movie did give this iconic moment.

And mayne, I love the climax. "Vegeta... what are you waiting for? You're our last hope. Give me your POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!" That Haji's Kitchen song "Lost" is so damn good and complements the whole fighting scene. Broly was punching Goku through an effin' mountain!

Feb 15, 2020 6:55 AM

Feb 2019
Starchaser said:
This was a fun re-watch. There is some sloppy writing here and there though. &++ the way the writers portrayed Vegeta in this is so dumb. They made him bitch made!

But on the bright side, the movie did give this iconic moment.

And mayne, I love the climax. "Vegeta... what are you waiting for? You're our last hope. Give me your POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!" That Haji's Kitchen song "Lost" is so damn good and complements the whole fighting scene. Broly was punching Goku through an effin' mountain!

The rock music it's so trash I hate the english dub
DondedFeb 18, 2020 3:50 AM
Feb 18, 2020 3:54 AM

Feb 2019
Namu12 said:
Vegeta - first he wanted to defeat Legendary Saiyanin then he turned a coward without reason (I think they dragged him ;P),
Piccolo - arrive from nowhere to save the day,
Broly - hating Goku without a reason.
Hating Goku ? Well you didn't see the movie, Piccolo saving Gohan is a classic and Vegeta has always seen the legend of the super saiyan as something incredible and see him like that invincble, i'd be scared too, it's like when he was scared of Frieza.
Mar 25, 2020 6:34 PM

Nov 2016
Never loved this movie as much as others did, but it was pretty cool and more effort was put into the story, which is not saying much XD

Also extra point for Broly being such a beast.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 21, 2020 8:49 AM

Nov 2007
Imagine this not being dragon ball and you not being a fan of the franchise & characters. What would be left of this movie? Pretty much nothing imo. All we get here is a bunch of fights between our beloved heroes and a new, one dimensional villian that is pretty much a big punching bag with pretty much no motivation apart from being ANGERY and to become the MOST POWERFUL EVER and to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE.

The 'plot' is pretty much an excuse for our Z-warriors to battle him half the movie. Apart from Goku and Vegeta the characters serve pretty much no purpose. Then theres the unnecesarry addition of Roshi and Puar acting super dumb (and out of character) for the sake of comic relief.

The ending is extremely excpected and something we've seen multiple times in the main series.

I think a 13 year old me would love this for the cool fighting animations and being a fankid. This movie for me is nothing less of a service to the fans of the franchise. If this wasn't dragonball Z it would get nowhere the praise it gets...
Aug 29, 2020 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
This was a very intense movie. I liked how Broly was seemingly so indestructible that no one was able to land a significant blow as he continued to rein pure devastation on the Z Fighters. Especially Goku, whose durability got tested to the extreme, more so than the others. And, near the end, another trait also was put under a trial as Vegeta's pride gave him plenty of reasons not to share his power to Goku, who he perceives as someone less worthy than him, a clown. A powerful one at that, but a clown nonetheless. It was a highlight-worthy moment when Vegeta decided to throw caution to the wind and lent his powers to Goku. Considering how terrified Vegeta was of Broly throughout most of the action, he redeemed himself in his way.

While it may seem ridiculous to many, Broly's anger against Goku does accentuate Broly's insanity. Broly acted like how many creatures perceive Saiyans as; bloodthirsty, ruthless, and savage. He truly was the ultimate challenger despite his shortcomings as a character. The struggle was real against him.

This movie might be the best one, as of yet. I enjoyed it very much so. And I have to say that the music was certainly a blessing to the ears. I do have to say that this film seemed aimed towards the fanbase of the series rather being more of a standalone movie. With its very much one linear setting, I doubt many newbies would enjoy this one as much as I did.
removed-userAug 29, 2020 6:20 PM
Dec 27, 2020 10:57 AM
Dec 2020
this was straight up boring...... that's my review
Mar 26, 2021 2:14 PM

Oct 2011
I've just re-watched it... It's clearly not as good as I remembered.
I like Broly as the insane mountain of muscles that he is, but he has plot armour for the majority of the movie, then gets defeated by (quite literally) the power of friendship, after Vegeta stops being tsundere? Yeah I'm actually almost glad that this version of Broly isn't canon after all.
Oct 27, 2021 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
I wanted to like this movie, but it had some problems. I couldn't understand the reasons behind Broly's hatred for Goku. It was also confusing how Vegeta's father stabbed him as an infant, but he was able to save both him and his father from Planet Vegeta as it was getting destroyed.
Dec 15, 2021 9:32 AM
Jan 2021
arnxx said:
Imagine this not being dragon ball and you not being a fan of the franchise & characters. What would be left of this movie? Pretty much nothing imo. All we get here is a bunch of fights between our beloved heroes and a new, one dimensional villian that is pretty much a big punching bag with pretty much no motivation apart from being ANGERY and to become the MOST POWERFUL EVER and to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE.

The 'plot' is pretty much an excuse for our Z-warriors to battle him half the movie. Apart from Goku and Vegeta the characters serve pretty much no purpose. Then theres the unnecesarry addition of Roshi and Puar acting super dumb (and out of character) for the sake of comic relief.

The ending is extremely excpected and something we've seen multiple times in the main series.

I think a 13 year old me would love this for the cool fighting animations and being a fankid. This movie for me is nothing less of a service to the fans of the franchise. If this wasn't dragonball Z it would get nowhere the praise it gets...

You are watching this movie because it's a dragon Ball movie. 😂 You are watching an action movie and you expect to see dark thriller in it woah man enjoy
Dec 15, 2021 9:33 AM
Jan 2021
TheFireNinja said:
I wanted to like this movie, but it had some problems. I couldn't understand the reasons behind Broly's hatred for Goku. It was also confusing how Vegeta's father stabbed him as an infant, but he was able to save both him and his father from Planet Vegeta as it was getting destroyed.

Well you can't kill a saiyan who has a battle power of 10,000 with just a 🗡️ knife
Dec 16, 2021 2:02 PM

Nov 2007
MrFanatic said:
arnxx said:

You are watching this movie because it's a dragon Ball movie. 😂 You are watching an action movie and you expect to see dark thriller in it woah man enjoy
MrFanatic said:
arnxx said:

Well I guess you're right, what was there to expect. The only Dragonball movie I really liked was the one of trunks alternate timeline .
Dec 28, 2021 2:05 PM
Dec 2013
Man, the last time I watched this movie, Broly was still a non-canon/filler character. And here I am rewatching it knowing that he's a canon character now; the movie where Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan made his debut. Of course, all the events that took place in this movie are still not canon, like every DBZ movie before Battle of Gods.
Jun 7, 2022 2:21 PM

Nov 2010
wildhood said:
Man, the last time I watched this movie, Broly was still a non-canon/filler character. And here I am rewatching it knowing that he's a canon character now; the movie where Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan made his debut. Of course, all the events that took place in this movie are still not canon, like every DBZ movie before Battle of Gods.

I checked your profile and I'm just quoting you to say that I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's meticulous with their list. Most people who skipped fillers would still mark that show complete and all ep. watched. It's like their cheating with their ep. count.

I used to do the the same thing as you, mark those shows as dropped instead, but I thought it was harsh for a show I really like. I prefer to place them on hold forever instead. I couldn't comment or send a message, so I did this instead. lol

Anyway,

The new Broly movie has better story and animation, but man, I still prefer the original Broly by a good margin. The fact that he trash talks and is just pure evil is a bonus!

They stretched out this movie too much! It would've been better if this was about 45+ mins long. 7/10
Sep 13, 2022 6:59 PM

May 2011
Maelstrom184 said:
SUCH a bad movie. Broly is easily the most over-rated of all the Dragon Ball characters. He's basically the Hulk with less character development. No depth at all. Just an hour of him yelling and breaking stuff. Ugh

That's what you don't get. In fact, very few people who found him so cool or advocated for his crappy ass rewrite in the Super movie really understood the true essence of the OG character. I'd say, he's one of the most grossly misrepresented of the franchise with Yamcha or Gohan. They all became a meme, their perception being reshaped into a twisted out image of what they conceptually are.

Paragus is the one who gives him depth. They are characters heavily depending on one another. Paragus is a flat character without his son and the contrary is also right. Broly just cannot control his overflowing ki, it's Paragus who took the initiative to properly channel it through a restraining device. He has all the leisure to think of solutions and plot, because he doesn't have a cursed potential within to try to contain. Their two paths ultimately leads to him releasing Broly, and years of pent up frustration gave into the monstrous form. Broly isn't just a dumb brute. In fact, his final talk with Paragus shows that he is smart in a sadistic kind of way. He just chose to go with the flow and enjoy the ride, because he cannot do anything to quiet the overflowing ki issue. Indeed, that's also something DBZ fans has grossly misrepresented over time: Broly doesn't get increasingly stronger over time, his ki is instead building up endlessly. It is forcing him to act and release it in whatever opportunity he can, it being pure destruction more often than not. How is Broly supposed to have any agency? He is an outcast without roots or anyone able to bond with, he's a beast with a cursed destiny.
His father tried to do something about it, but he fell prey to greed and revengeful spirit. Broly is corruption of the body, while his father is corruption of the soul. They are tragic characters, and one is supposed to provide a contrast to the other. The biggest mistake was to make more movies with only Broly. The scheme thwarted , the device broken and Paragus dead, there is just zero direction you can take the big villain except: "must kill Kakarot huuuurrrr!". Note that in the shit sequel movies, Broly is in full control of his potential. He isn't prisoner of his endless stamina issue as he doesn't do thing like unleashing randomly energy balls to even out his ki... His character thus degenerated into the cliché you have learned to embrace as word of truth.

If anything, I find the inconsistent writing of Vegeta in this movie more shocking. He is more stupid and self contradictory than usual.
Sep 13, 2022 7:37 PM

May 2011
Here is my final opinion. The best of DBZ movie along with the Tapion one. It takes an unusual trajectory. Indeed, main villains are usually proactive conquerors or destroyers. Here you have a vaguely ominous plotter. And his plot isn't directed at Goku, to change! Sure, the culprit of mass destruction is obvious, but that's besides the point. An elaborate whodunit scenario wouldn't work out with the DBZ formula. Instead, you look at how the investigating characters unravel the scheme, which builds up the climax to the final fight. Like I said, Paragus and Broly are tragic characters. So much in fact, most of the audience doesn't fully understand what they are about! Their musical segments on Kikuchi's soundtrack are paroxysmal and full of hopeless dread. It is such a fun movie thanks to the kinetic fight storytelling, I think that's why the fans lost of sight of the two villains characterization.
The four major flaws in this movie are how Vegeta is portrayed, the coming of Picollo crowbar'd in for the multiple saves, the tonal whiplash with the comic reliefs who derail the amazing doomsday atmosphere and the final asspull win. 7 out of 10, as a DBZ movie.
Oct 8, 2022 3:40 AM

May 2016
This movie still holds up. A real masterpiece improving everything other Dragon Ball movies build up but didn't manage to execute to the best of their abilities. But I feel the strength of this movie is also its downfall since it spawned some underwhelming sequels.
Jul 25, 2023 12:50 PM

Jul 2017
Well... I really didn't like that. It looked beautiful and started with an interesting story, but everything devolved into a slasher film Pantera anime AMV. Probably would be better with the original soundtrack, but I still don't like the plot or Broly's motivation. Also, what the heck were they doing with that writing for Vegeta? Finally, several things just flow really strangely and feel like plotholes: Broly and his dad surviving their execution to be thrown into a pit to later escape (weren't they supposed to be executed?), Broly just appearing before his father as he was about to escape despite the fact that Broly is in the middle of a fight, Vegeta's sudden change of heart, and the weird scene with the ship bouncing at the end (huh?). The final attack with the other heroes giving their energy to Goku is even super weird (though not necessarily that weird for a DBZ movie).
satyrelfheimJul 25, 2023 1:01 PM
Oct 12, 2023 8:12 AM

Nov 2012
classic Z movie, love dbs broly too but think Z broly still edges him out for me, but only just
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Oct 13, 2023 7:48 AM
Aug 2023
Broly is cool as fuck
Dec 24, 2023 1:49 PM

Apr 2021
This battle was exciting. This is the legendary Saiyan, he seemed very strong to me, but maybe he's gone from there, well, let's check it out. 8/10
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.