Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Jun 6, 2011 6:48 AM

May 2010
It's like WOW! You're the top show on MAL! How does it feel to be to be on the same page as Code Geass?

I think I'd rather my favorites be further down the list, honestly. (Even though sadly some aren't.)
Jun 6, 2011 6:57 AM

Sep 2009
Fuzzhx said:
Webeiss said:
You should all drop Gintama.
I wouldnt drop this show even if my life depended on it.
Now that's a troll.
Jun 6, 2011 8:13 AM

Oct 2010
Hmm I see that the trolls haven't quit yet..

Why is everyone bitching??

Gintama is no.1 for the mere reason that everyone who watched it are scoring it 10,09 and honestly this show deserve its spot..

Jun 6, 2011 9:01 AM

Nov 2010
it sucks that most of the trolls are FMAB fans who are pissed that it isnt #1 anymore, they are making the FMAB fanbase look pretty immature. it makes me a little embarrassed to be a fan of that show myself. grow up people!
Jun 6, 2011 10:08 AM
Nov 2010
The popularity and its ridiculously high rating makes me NOT want to watch this anime.
Jun 6, 2011 10:23 AM

Nov 2010
doomed151 said:
The popularity and its ridiculously high rating makes me NOT want to watch this anime.

No one is forcing you, mate.
Jun 6, 2011 10:28 AM

Nov 2010
doomed151 said:

i understand not wanting to watch something because its popular, i used to be the same way. but not wanting to watch something because of a high rating doesnt really make sense. and actually Gintama is one of the least popular of the long running shounen anime. but if you liked kore wa zombie, im thinking you will probably like this. so you should give it a chance.
Jun 6, 2011 10:44 AM

Oct 2010
doomed151 said:

LOL,your lost dude..

@Fuzzhx:I liked FMAB too and I didn't care when it was ranked 1 and Gintama was the third even though I Like Gintama more..

It's really embarrassing to see adults bitching over anime ratings -___-'..

Jun 6, 2011 12:30 PM

Jun 2008
Linalee-Stratos said:
Redfoxoffire said:
SkyFade said:
Yea to be honest I haven't met anyone online who disliked the series once they got into it deep enough, most of the dislikers were those that stopped well into the teens episodes, I mean even the Nizou Arc came in the 40's .
See, that's the problem: A show shouldn't take 40 episodes to start being good.
He/She was just stating when an arc began in the show. That does not necessarily have to do anything with the show being good or not.
Well the arcs are brilliant though. Just stating.

Read it again. He/She clearly stated that people who dislike the series didn't get far enough, implying that it takes longer for the show to be good enough for people not to drop it. The fact that the earliest "good" point she/he could mention was in the 40's isn't helping.
Jun 6, 2011 12:32 PM

May 2010
doomed151 said:

There's very few people who'd admit to something like this, let along follow through with it.

Interesting.

Me? I'm just here to watch the sparks fly. I love shit like this.
Jun 6, 2011 1:14 PM

Nov 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
Linalee-Stratos said:
Redfoxoffire said:
SkyFade said:
Yea to be honest I haven't met anyone online who disliked the series once they got into it deep enough, most of the dislikers were those that stopped well into the teens episodes, I mean even the Nizou Arc came in the 40's .
See, that's the problem: A show shouldn't take 40 episodes to start being good.
He/She was just stating when an arc began in the show. That does not necessarily have to do anything with the show being good or not.
Well the arcs are brilliant though. Just stating.

Read it again. He/She clearly stated that people who dislike the series didn't get far enough, implying that it takes longer for the show to be good enough for people not to drop it. The fact that the earliest "good" point she/he could mention was in the 40's isn't helping.

It really all comes down to what type of comedy you enjoy/how good your sense of humor is, because comedy is the majority of Gintama. If you didnt like it by atleast episode 25 chances are you probably wont like the rest of the series. but the thing we keep trying to say is that its not only a comedy..it is at first but, like i said before, the show starts to change and starts showing some emotional/dramatic arcs and some intense battle arcs. So in other words you will never understand why Gintama is rated so high unless you watch all of it, but i know some of you cant because you just cant stand the type of comedy Gintama uses. so just keep on hating, but dont be a troll, thats just sad.
Jun 6, 2011 1:23 PM

Jun 2008
Fuzzhx said:
It really all comes down to what type of comedy you enjoy/how good your sense of humor is, because comedy is the majority of Gintama. If you didnt like it by atleast episode 25 chances are you probably wont like the rest of the series. but the thing we keep trying to say is that its not only a comedy..it is at first but, like i said before, the show starts to change and starts showing some emotional/dramatic arcs and some intense battle arcs. So in other words you will never understand why Gintama is rated so high unless you watch all of it, but i know some of you cant because you just cant stand the type of comedy Gintama uses. so just keep on hating, but dont be a troll, thats just sad.

So I've been told. I like comedy, and I went into Gintama knowing I was getting comedy. I kept hearing the time it was supposed to "get good" get pushed later. It started at early twenties, then went to late twenties, then went all the way to late thirties/early forties, but by episode 25 I felt I had already tortured myself enough.

And it's obvious Gintama is rated so high mostly because of how long it is, not for how good it is. If all the scores were being calculated, Gintama would likely be in the 80s or 90s, like it was when it was airing. And again, I shouldn't have to watch over 150 episodes to "get" why something is "so good".

And I am a hater, not a troll.
Jun 6, 2011 1:48 PM

Nov 2010
Redfoxoffire said:

And it's obvious Gintama is rated so high mostly because of how long it is, not for how good it is.

Not true, if this was the case, then why isnt One Piece or Bleach anywhere on the top 30?

Redfoxoffire said:

i wasnt calling you a troll, i was referring to any hater/troll that might be reading my comment.

also i just noticed you are a girl, so it is somewhat understandable that you dont like this series considering its a shounen anime. im not saying all girls dont like shounen but the majority dont.
Jun 6, 2011 1:48 PM

Nov 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
Fuzzhx said:

So I've been told. I like comedy, and I went into Gintama knowing I was getting comedy. I kept hearing the time it was supposed to "get good" get pushed later. It started at early twenties, then went to late twenties, then went all the way to late thirties/early forties, but by episode 25 I felt I had already tortured myself enough.

And it's obvious Gintama is rated so high mostly because of how long it is, not for how good it is. If all the scores were being calculated, Gintama would likely be in the 80s or 90s, like it was when it was airing. And again, I shouldn't have to watch over 150 episodes to "get" why something is "so good".

Gintoki loves haters.
Jun 6, 2011 2:09 PM

Jun 2008
Fuzzhx said:
Redfoxoffire said:

And it's obvious Gintama is rated so high mostly because of how long it is, not for how good it is.

Not true, if this was the case, then why isnt One Piece or Bleach anywhere on the top 30?

They aren't finished yet. When One Piece finishes, I'll bet my life it ends up as #1 because you'll probably need to have seen upwards of 150 episodes for your score to count (For comparison, Gintama requires 39. While it ended at 201, OP is already past 500). Note that this only applies to MAL because of how the scoring system here works. And, of course, any site that uses a similar scoring system.

Redfoxoffire said:

i wasnt calling you a troll, i was referring to any hater/troll that might be reading my comment.

also i just noticed you are a girl, so it is somewhat understandable that you dont like this series considering its a shounen anime. im not saying all girls dont like shounen but the majority dont.

Well, I enjoyed Naruto and Bleach to a point. I still like FMA. I love Fairy Tail. There really aren't any genres I'd say I dislike as a rule.
Jun 6, 2011 2:19 PM

Jul 2010
Redfoxoffire said:

?

If that were the case, why isn't One Piece a top 5 or so anime, just to name one? [Edit as some people beat me to this, nvm -.-] Also, I do think you're pretty trollsy as
Redfoxoffire said:

I cried, too, but for very different reasons...
is just begging for some negative attention. As you'd need to make such a statement when we've all well understood you hate Gintama.

Some shows start off really cool, and begin to bore as it progresses, and with some it's the other way around. I prefer the second option.
Jun 6, 2011 2:25 PM

Nov 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
Fuzzhx said:
Redfoxoffire said:

They aren't finished yet. When One Piece finishes, I'll bet my life it ends up as #1 because you'll probably need to have seen upwards of 150 episodes for your score to count (For comparison, Gintama requires 39. While it ended at 201, OP is already past 500). Note that this only applies to MAL because of how the scoring system here works. And, of course, any site that uses a similar scoring system.

might wanna rethink that bet. id be amazed to see a series thats been out for over a decade go from 59th place to 1st. especially when anyone who actually enjoys that series has probably seen over 150 eps by now.

also your beginning to look like a troll -_-
Jun 6, 2011 2:40 PM

Apr 2011
Okaishi said:
Redfoxoffire said:

?

If that were the case, why isn't One Piece a top 5 or so anime, just to name one? [Edit as some people beat me to this, nvm -.-] Also, I do think you're pretty trollsy as .

What redfox said only applies for completed anime as the total number of episodes are set and the system is able to remove the scores for people who have watch less than 1/5 of the total episodes. It quite obvious that if the scores of people who didn't get hooked on the first episode were removed, the total score will raise. That being said there are factors that helped Gintama get a high score otherwise Naruto would've been in the top rankings as well. So redfox saying that Gintama's length accounted for most of the high score is quite ignorant on his/her part.

P.S.: One Piece completely dominates Gintama in the Manga section,
"Reality is a story the minds tells itself. An artificial structure conjured into being by the calcium ion exchange of a million synaptic fringes"
Jun 6, 2011 3:43 PM

Nov 2010
Kazei said:
Im honestly, and I mean honestly tired of all these people who look down on Gintama.
Its not even criticism, curiosity or hate.
Its juts simply people saying 'How the f**k is this anime the best anime when I dont even like it and my favourite anime is number 2'

Get over it, Gintama is the most underrated anime of all time.
If it had the same financial backing and exposure like other main stream anime such as Naruto or Bleach then Gintama would freaking rule the world, seriously, no joke.

You would see Gintama t-shirts, cups, replica's sold in every toy shop and even have Gintama strawberry milkshake.
It would a international success, not just in Japan with a audience of all ages from young to old, even people with haemorrhoids. (Inside joke)
Hollywood would be on Sorachi's a** trying to buy the rights to Gintama so they could make a english movie adaptation of it.

Seriously, as the saying goes, seeing is believing, so go see Gintama for your self.
(All of it not just the first episode or 2 and then call it a waste of time)
Then you wont be asking why is it 9.4something? You will be asking why in the blue hell isnt it a 10.

+1
Jun 6, 2011 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
doomed151 said:

ever been to a logh thread...sure gintama is highly rated and popular but its nothing compared to how logh fans are
Jun 6, 2011 3:51 PM

Nov 2010
Fuzzhx said:
Kazei said:
Im honestly, and I mean honestly tired of all these people who look down on Gintama.
Its not even criticism, curiosity or hate.
Its juts simply people saying 'How the f**k is this anime the best anime when I dont even like it and my favourite anime is number 2'

If it had the same financial backing and exposure like other main stream anime such as Naruto or Bleach then Gintama would freaking rule the world, seriously, no joke.

You would see Gintama t-shirts, cups, replica's sold in every toy shop and even have Gintama strawberry milkshake.
It would a international success, not just in Japan with a audience of all ages from young to old, even people with haemorrhoids. (Inside joke)
Hollywood would be on Sorachi's a** trying to buy the rights to Gintama so they could make a english movie adaptation of it.

Seriously, as the saying goes, seeing is believing, so go see Gintama for your self.
(All of it not just the first episode or 2 and then call it a waste of time)
Then you wont be asking why is it 9.4something? You will be asking why in the blue hell isnt it a 10.

+1

+1
Jun 6, 2011 3:56 PM

May 2010
jpem said:
doomed151 said:

ever been to a logh thread...sure gintama is highly rated and popular but its nothing compared to how logh fans are
Those LotGH fans...it's quite the sight to behold.

Anyway, fucking around aside, MAL rankings are meaningless. I already said it, Code Geass in on the first page (not to mention Death Note and Nana and Monster, but Code Geass is Code Geass), so it's not like those rankings are incredible or anything.
Jun 6, 2011 4:11 PM

Jun 2008
Okaishi said:
Redfoxoffire said:

?

If that were the case, why isn't One Piece a top 5 or so anime, just to name one? [Edit as some people beat me to this, nvm -.-] Also, I do think you're pretty trollsy as
Redfoxoffire said:

I cried, too, but for very different reasons...
is just begging for some negative attention. As you'd need to make such a statement when we've all well understood you hate Gintama.

Some shows start off really cool, and begin to bore as it progresses, and with some it's the other way around. I prefer the second option.

Read the post just above yours.

And who was it that "well understood" that I hate Gintama before I made that post? Am I famous or something?

I prefer the second option, too, but not when it takes multiple seasons worth.

Fuzzhx said:
might wanna rethink that bet. id be amazed to see a series thats been out for over a decade go from 59th place to 1st. especially when anyone who actually enjoys that series has probably seen over 150 eps by now.

It's how MAL does the scoring. Your score is only factored into the overall score if you've seen at least 1/5 of the anime, and only if the anime has finished airing. This has been seen before. When Gintama finished, it shot from ~92 to #1. I made a topic very similar to this one when that happened (I hadn't seen Gintama yet, so I wasn't hating). FMA: Brotherhood did the same thing, although I think it was around 30 before it shot up. When One Piece finishes, all those people who dropped it at <50 episodes because they hated it will no longer have their score count, and the scores that will be counted will be from almost only people who really like it and give it 8-10. It will shoot up.

How is this trolling? I'm just stating the facts.

Divinations said:
So redfox saying that Gintama's length accounted for most of the high score is quite ignorant on his/her part.

No, it's not. Read my above response. There's nothing to say Gintama shouldn't be well-rated, even in the top 50, but it's only in the top 5 because of its length.

Naruto is a different case because of how old it is. Most people saw it before joining this site since it aired on tv in North America and it's much more likely for people to either list it as Completed despite having not completed it or to list a random number that is high enough for the vote to count. There's also the 80 filler episodes at the end that drastically drop people's scores.

Kazei said:

You clearly do not know the meaning of the word "underrated."
Jun 6, 2011 4:17 PM

Feb 2010
MAL don't represent the world, imagine if Japanese and Asians starts using this site more prominently, there might just be a drastic change in rankings itself. But... why would anyone be bothered by something as trivial as popularity and ranking when it comes to selection of anime?
Jun 6, 2011 4:34 PM

Nov 2010
Redfoxoffire said:

Fuzzhx said:

It's how MAL does the scoring. Your score is only factored into the overall score if you've seen at least 1/5 of the anime, and only if the anime has finished airing. This has been seen before. When Gintama finished, it shot from ~92 to #1. I made a topic very similar to this one when that happened (I hadn't seen Gintama yet, so I wasn't hating). FMA: Brotherhood did the same thing, although I think it was around 30 before it shot up. When One Piece finishes, all those people who dropped it at <50 episodes because they hated it will no longer have their score count, and the scores that will be counted will be from almost only people who really like it and give it 8-10. It will shoot up.

the series doesnt have to be completed for MAL to filter out all the hater votes. every time MAL updates the scores it also filters out any user who hasnt watched more than 1/5 of the series.

and btw your officially a troll now. anyone who keeps coming back to the Gintama forum to keep "trying" to explain why Gintama is such a bad anime is a troll imo. if you hate Gintama and dont wanna look like a troll then just keep all your hate to yourself. why bother even coming here? i dont even score the anime that i drop..

and its kinda obvious that you are bothered by an unofficial top anime list of a random site and its kinda sad.
Hokuto_no_FuzzJun 6, 2011 4:39 PM
Jun 6, 2011 5:10 PM

Jun 2008
Fuzzhx said:
the series doesnt have to be completed for MAL to filter out all the hater votes. every time MAL updates the scores it also filters out any user who hasnt watched more than 1/5 of the series.

and btw your officially a troll now. anyone who keeps coming back to the Gintama forum to keep "trying" to explain why Gintama is such a bad anime is a troll imo. if you hate Gintama and dont wanna look like a troll then just keep all your hate to yourself. why bother even coming here? i dont even score the anime that i drop..

and its kinda obvious that you are bothered by an unofficial top anime list of a random site and its kinda sad.

Uh, no, you're wrong. As long as a show is still airing, all votes count. That's how MAL works. You can't just disagree with that unless you want to be completely wrong.

Point out even one place where I say Gintama is a bad anime. Just one. Seriously, at least know what I'm saying if you're going to keep up this discussion. I have not once called Gintama a bad anime (hating it is not saying it's bad). I have only said that its average score is inflated, which is absolute truth based on statistical facts. I bother coming here because I like discussion and this is something I can discuss. If you don't like it, feel free to stop responding.

I'm not bothered by the list at all, I'm annoyed at the fans who jerk off to their favorite anime hitting #1 when only the fans' opinions are being counted and feel like putting them in their place. I know how to look at the list, so it doesn't bother me one bit. And it's not like you don't care yourself; if you didn't, you wouldn't have been in this discussion from the start trying to defend your territory. Way to be the pot calling the kettle black.
Jun 6, 2011 5:35 PM

Nov 2010
If MAL registered every score before the anime is completed then Gintama' would def not be #1 right now considering all the haters who rated it a 1.. And I couldn't care less about the top list. I just feel the need to say something to ignorant haters. But I will stop this discussion now because obvious troll is obvious.
Hokuto_no_FuzzJun 6, 2011 5:40 PM
Jun 6, 2011 5:41 PM
Oct 2009
Woah, is this thing still going?

1) People take anime WAY too serious. Who cares if a certain series is number 1 in whatever site? MAL isn't even as famous as that. It certainly won't get the involved celebrities to take a peek at these threads.

2) About Gintama being awful because it doesn't get good until the...as you say, 40 something episodes...Highly subjective. Gintama, for me, started out fine, watchable and amusing. And then, Gintoki's moral lessons and fighting made it even better.

3) I find it funny that some people list Gintama's humour as "crude" and whatnot, and then I check their MAL lists to find "Highschool of the Dead", and other (to me) senseless ecchi/moeblob anime, rated quite highly too, among the 8.0 and the 7.0.

4) Haters gonna hate. Tough shi-.
Jun 6, 2011 5:43 PM

Jun 2008
Fuzzhx said:
If MAL registered all the scores after before the anime is completed then Gintama' would def not be #1 right now considering all the haters who rated it a 1.. And I couldn't care less about the top list. I just feel the need to say something to ignorant haters. But I will stop this discussion now because obvious troll is obvious.

Gintama' is rated #1 because all the people who hated Gintama don't have Gintama' on their list at all. I suspect very few people started with Gintama', resulting in its absurdly high score, because right now it's mostly hardcore fans watching (and scoring) it.

Ah, another "disagreeing = trolling" moment. It's too bad the word "trolling" tends to lose a lot of meaning these days because people get butthurt too easily when someone else doesn't see things the same way they do.

tl;dr, I have not been trolling. Learn what "trolling" really is.
Jun 6, 2011 5:50 PM

May 2010
Alright, kids. Just lay em on the table already and measure for a winner. You're way out of control.

(I won't apologize if either of yous is chicks.)
Jun 6, 2011 5:57 PM

Nov 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
Fuzzhx said:
If MAL registered all the scores after before the anime is completed then Gintama' would def not be #1 right now considering all the haters who rated it a 1.. And I couldn't care less about the top list. I just feel the need to say something to ignorant haters. But I will stop this discussion now because obvious troll is obvious.

Gintama' is rated #1 because all the people who hated Gintama don't have Gintama' on their list at all. I suspect very few people started with Gintama', resulting in its absurdly high score, because right now it's mostly hardcore fans watching (and scoring) it.

Ah, another "disagreeing = trolling" moment. It's too bad the word "trolling" tends to lose a lot of meaning these days because people get butthurt too easily when someone else doesn't see things the same way they do.

your boring me now. obvious trolls are obvious. XD
Jun 6, 2011 5:59 PM

Jun 2008
Fuzzhx said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Fuzzhx said:

I thought you were going to stop this discussion. Looks like you're the troll now.
Jun 6, 2011 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
Webeiss is the biggest gintama hating troll in thread and he's the only one not arguing endlessly. what does that make the rest of you?
Jun 6, 2011 6:14 PM

Nov 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
I thought you were going to stop this discussion. Looks like you're the troll now.

maybe you didnt see this.
Fuzzhx said:

but anyways, let me to apologize for that pointless discussion everyone, i get a little carried away after a few drinks. and Redfox, you may troll away. i promise i wont cramp your troll style anymore.

and id just like to thank god that im able to be alive to experience and enjoy Gintama, for it truly is the best anime ive ever seen.
Jun 6, 2011 6:16 PM

Jun 2008
Remember kids, disagreeing = trolling.
Jun 6, 2011 6:16 PM

Jul 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
And who was it that "well understood" that I hate Gintama before I made that post? Am I famous or something?

Anyone who would have followed this topic in the slightest bit would have understood. You stated that you hated Gintama and pointed out the issues you had with the show, which is perfectly fine, however the second part I quoted was quite a worthless post imho.

Redfoxoffire said:
I prefer the second option, too, but not when it takes multiple seasons worth.

True. However, the difference is that I thought the first seasons were okay before I got really interested in the show. This is not exactly the same as competely hating every episode up to like 25, then it might indeed not be worth your time to get to the parts where it only gets better because obviously there will still be plenty aspects of Gintama which you'll be hating (for whatever reason).

I don't really care about the ranking, though I can understand why Gintama 'fans' like their anime being nr. 1 on the list, even though it doesn't say all that much. And it's a fact that sequels to a series are always rated higher, it's the same with any show.

Redfoxoffire said:
Point out even one place where I say Gintama is a bad anime. Just one. Seriously, at least know what I'm saying if you're going to keep up this discussion. I have not once called Gintama a bad anime (hating it is not saying it's bad).

Interesting you say this as I see you rated Gintama a 2. I rather rate shows on their quality as well instead solely based on my interest/liking of it. That's just me though :P

And I kinda agree that discussions are what keeps things interesting, as long as there's not too much flaming/trolling involved.
OkaishiJun 6, 2011 6:19 PM
Jun 6, 2011 6:26 PM

Jun 2008
Okaishi said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Anyone who would have followed this topic in the slightest bit would have understood. You stated that you hated Gintama and pointed out the issues you had with the show, which is perfectly fine, however the second part I quoted was quite a worthless post imho.

I actually had forgotten that I'd already said so much in this topic on account of it being almost two months ago. And yeah, if I did any "trolling," that crying post was the only one. I'll admit I did that just out of boredom to see what kind of responses I'd get. I know, I'm a terrible person.

I don't really care about the ranking, though I can understand why Gintama 'fans' like their anime being nr. 1 on the list, even though it doesn't say all that much.

It's very much understandable. I wouldn't put anyone down for being excited about it. I was the same when Clannad After Story was up there. It's when people say it DESERVES the position like nothing else is worthy and that everyone should agree that I get annoyed.

Interesting you say this as I see you rated Gintama a 2. I rather rate shows on their quality as well instead solely based on my interest/liking of it. That's just me though :P

Well, my list scores are more my personal view of the show than any objective factors. Occasionally I'll let things other than my personal feelings affect a show's score, but usually only by one point, and rarely by two. Never any more. In the case of Gintama, I just want to make it obvious that I consider it the worst anime-watching experience of my life. I respect other people's enjoyment of it and I care not about its rank, but on my list you will see my scores.
Jun 6, 2011 6:34 PM

Jul 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
In the case of Gintama, I just want to make it obvious that I consider it the worst anime-watching experience of my life. I respect other people's enjoyment of it and I care not about its rank, but on my list you will see my scores.

I suppose that's only natural. Though now I'm getting interested where this deep hatred towards Gintama comes from and how you could have sticked with it up to episode 25 :P

Worst anime-watching experience in your life. Opinions can be such a tricky thing, because I really fail to comprehend that part xD
Jun 6, 2011 6:42 PM

Jun 2008
Okaishi said:
Redfoxoffire said:
In the case of Gintama, I just want to make it obvious that I consider it the worst anime-watching experience of my life. I respect other people's enjoyment of it and I care not about its rank, but on my list you will see my scores.

I suppose that's only natural. Though now I'm getting interested where this deep hatred towards Gintama comes from and how you could have sticked with it up to episode 25 :P

Worst anime-watching experience in your life. Opinions are such a tricky thing, because I really fail to comprehend that part xD

As I stated earlier, I kept getting told "it gets better." I was waiting for that and forcing myself through the episodes (sometimes to the point of skipping parts that felt unimportant) until I just couldn't take it anymore. I get bored from series often enough, but few of them manage to actually piss me off. Gintama is the worst offender of that for me (Ore no Imouto is another example, but it gets a higher score because there were parts of it I enjoyed). I liked about one character (the masochist girl), I very rarely laughed...Gintama just missed every mark for me. I've actually considered giving it another shot until episode 39 because I really would prefer to like it rather than hate it. I'd love to join in on the hype and be excited about its high score.
Jun 6, 2011 6:58 PM

Jul 2010
The only thing you could give a try is watching one of the serious arcs, as I get the feeling that the humour is what pissed you off the most. That way you wouldn't need to force yourself through the stuff you dislike, and I personally think these arcs are the best parts of Gintama (though unlike you, I have had my fair share of laughs watching the series).

Not sure why I am even suggesting this, maybe to lessen your hate for Gintama by just a bit :D
Jun 6, 2011 7:00 PM

Jun 2008
Tell me what a good arc is (the episode numbers, preferably), let me know if there's any other episodes I should see before it, I'll write it down and possibly give it a shot. If I like it, I will probably continue, and then I'll be converted. Everyone wins!
Jun 6, 2011 9:18 PM

Aug 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
It's true, One Piece is going to have a monster rating so long as it and MAL don't change their respective "quality" and system much.

Redfoxoffire said:
When Gintama finished, it shot from ~92 to #1. I made a topic very similar to this one when that happened (I hadn't seen Gintama yet, so I wasn't hating). FMA: Brotherhood did the same thing, although I think it was around 30 before it shot up. When One Piece finishes, all those people who dropped it at <50 episodes because they hated it will no longer have their score count, and the scores that will be counted will be from almost only people who really like it and give it 8-10. It will shoot up.

Yep...Gintama's (not Gintama''s) raw mean is 8.57 (rounded up), which comes to 8.56 (rounded down; this is actually the same rating the MUCH longer One Piece happens to have right now) once you factor in MAL's Bayesian estimate "votes". Only 64.1% of the votes for Gintama are being counted by MAL. Over a third of the voters are given no value by MAL. Anyway, given that other anime benefit to a (virtually always much lesser) extent from drop boosting as well, Gintama being in the top 50 would be pretty plausible here (if you eliminated drop boosting), for the rating that 100% enfranchisement would give it. It being in the top 5 instead is purely due to it being LOOOOONG (well, being much worse at the beginning increases drop boosting, too; sadly it's actually GOOD for an anime's rating here (and on AniDB, which requires 100% completion) if it sucks at the beginning, spurring nonfans to drop it before MAL will count their votes; what a backwards system!). For comparison Gintama's only #183 on ANN and #257 on Anime-Planet (it's #9 on AniDB, though). Going by those rankings it seems like MAL in particular just likes Gintama especially much (compared to the other sites' userbases), and then the system favors it heavily, creating what we have here.

If you're stingy then click on CLuClu!
Please consider supporting the end of disenfranchisement on MAL.
Purpose is subjective, therefore quality is subjective.
Jun 6, 2011 10:09 PM

Dec 2008
@Redfoxoffire

There are some funnier arcs and episode 197 is a masterpiece, but I'll recommend 98-99 its how I got most of my friends into Gintama.

You don't really need much prior knowledge for these two just remember 99 is the truly funny episode
Jun 6, 2011 10:20 PM

Jun 2008
Llama765 said:
@Redfoxoffire

There are some funnier arcs and episode 197 is a masterpiece, but I'll recommend 98-99 its how I got most of my friends into Gintama.

You don't really need much prior knowledge for these two just remember 99 is the truly funny episode

Okaishi also recommended 58-61, so perhaps I will try them both. I have plenty of time these days, so if I'm up to it I'll get to them when I catch up with all the other shows I've fallen behind on.

Wow, I didn't think I'd ever feel almost excited again to watch Gintama. Hopefully this time I'll enjoy it.
Jun 6, 2011 11:14 PM

Dec 2008
Both are great arcs. 58-61 is some of Gintama's best action and 98-99 are some of the funniest episodes in my opinion. I hope you enjoy it too. :)
Jun 7, 2011 3:15 PM

Jul 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
Llama765 said:
@Redfoxoffire

Okaishi also recommended 58-61, so perhaps I will try them both. I have plenty of time these days, so if I'm up to it I'll get to them when I catch up with all the other shows I've fallen behind on.

Wow, I didn't think I'd ever feel almost excited again to watch Gintama. Hopefully this time I'll enjoy it.

ROFL the one person I never thought would say those things. Good for you, then. Hope you enjoy it!
Jun 7, 2011 7:15 PM

Nov 2010
not sure if it was already mentioned but the Yoshiwara Arc is amazing its episodes 139-146.also the Diviner Arc(195-199) is a pretty good one, has a bit of seriousness mixed in with some great comedy. tho im thinking your not gonna get the full effect of these arcs by just skipping right up to them and they will do little to change your opinion of the show, which is why i dont really think you should bother unless you watch everything. but who knows.
Hokuto_no_FuzzJun 7, 2011 7:21 PM
Jun 7, 2011 8:47 PM

May 2010
This certainly took an unexpected turn for the better.
Jun 8, 2011 7:52 AM

Aug 2009
It definetely deserves its score.
But a 10 would be better ^-^
Jun 8, 2011 8:47 AM

May 2010
I kinda wanna try this out too. It's all a matter of going for the first season...
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tthammy - Jun 2, 2011

232 by lordgaara »»
Apr 2, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Barion-Zara - Aug 29, 2011

99 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 11, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 48 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SilentTruth - Mar 5, 2012

113 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 5, 12:23 PM

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Feb 20, 2012

132 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 5, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 45 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tomislavr7 - Feb 13, 2012

106 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 5, 10:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.