How would you rate this manga?
Apr 1, 2011 5:42 PM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Manga: Gyo

MAL Manga Information Page: Gyo

MAL Score - 7.53 (by 2003 users)
Ranked - #3193
Popularity - #406

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Gyo was NOT inducted into the club Manga list:
8 Yes - 42.1%
11 No - 57.8%

44 Don't know this manga - 68.7% of the total number polled
1 Abstained - 1.5% of the total number polled
santetjanApr 12, 2011 12:29 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 1, 2011 9:27 PM

Jan 2009
This is better than Uzumaki in my opinion. Why?
Because, in Gyo, it sets up an environment that is not conditional. The devices, keep on coming. It builds up in layers. It sets up a crescendo of dystopia, as opposed to the passive disquiet of the town, that while getting more intense in Uzumaki, is too episodic, too specific to an event.
It also has a lead who is fallible to a degree, whereas in Uzumaki Kirie is virtually invincible [and Shuichi]. The idea that Owaki is immune to the virus is perfectly credible, and the coincidental luck is also less than in Uzumaki. Kaori also dies, which is a major stepping stone for Ito.
You could have read the previous two points as exactly the opposite, why Uzumaki is better, as Horror is relying on the individuals out-take on fear. However, I come from it at a point of no fear, I stopped fearing things a while ago [how cheesy :S]. So for me, I'm looking at it from the perspective of that it is a body horror. Gyo does this magnificently, this much is obvious. The more subtle parts of how the horror is developed can be fatalisticly bad, or majestic. I believe this is done well, maybe not brilliantly, but better than Uzumaki.
The art, is brilliant. It is a style you can only pull off with horror, but that be as it may, it is still incredible.
Horror is a very weak genre for me, but for horror, I think Gyo is pretty exemplary. I'll be voting yes because I think it is a standout of its genre, not of anything more.
As an extra, the add-on works at the end, are pretty fun. The simplistic approach of the holes can be chilling in their effective use of claustrophobia and emprisonment.
Apr 2, 2011 2:03 AM

Nov 2007
I really enjoyed this and actually gave it the same score as Uzumaki (which I also really liked). Sufficiently creepy, and the scene with the shark in the house was great. A lot of the time I laughed, was creeped out or disgusted. The ending gets a thumbs up from me, as well, for actually going through with killing off the girlfriend and having some kind of consequences. I also appreciated its portrayal of the characters -- their faults and fallibility.

ridojiri said:

As an extra, the add-on works at the end, are pretty fun. The simplistic approach of the holes can be chilling in their effective use of claustrophobia and emprisonment.

Are you talking about The Enigma of Amigara Fault? I absolutely love that one shot, but I'm not sure if we should be talking about it at the same time as Gyo. What are the rules on that kind of thing? Do we consider the one shots as well? I'd actually like to nominate Enigma on its own if possible. If we're supposed to consider it along with Gyo, then that's all the more reason to induct Gyo.
Apr 2, 2011 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
It was bundled with the manga wasn't it? So, yes.
Apr 2, 2011 5:58 AM

Nov 2007
ridojiri said:
It was bundled with the manga wasn't it? So, yes.

Ah, okay. I'd actually read Enigma before Gyo, hence my confusion. But thanks!
Apr 3, 2011 11:03 PM
Sep 2009
Another great work from Junji Ito, and an easy yes. Ito is just so talented that he can turn the most absurd horror premises into truly horrifying tales. Gyo is a great example of this, if not handled well it could have been a disaster; but in Ito's hands it is a great apocalyptic horror story. The strained yet heart-felt relationship between the two leads is just incredible, and its conclusion was devastatingly powerful.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Apr 5, 2011 3:41 PM

Sep 2009
Gyo was most definitely another excellent slice of Junji Ito's twisted horror, but as much as I hate to be the one guy who votes no on something because it's not as good as something else, well... this was lacking something Uzumaki had. A sense of genuine fear, claustrophobia, and horror. It does do some things better than Uzumaki, specifically having a competent leading character, but really Uzumaki was only just a yes vote from me based on the sheer quality of the horror aspects, and simply losing that is enough to tip my vote on Gyo from a possible yes to a no. Don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed it, but I enjoyed Uzumaki more, and I really can't quite push myself to call Gyo exemplary.
LindleApr 5, 2011 4:42 PM
Apr 6, 2011 6:15 AM

Sep 2008
I'm going to give Gyo as yes for reasons that already overlap with some of the points raised above. I'm just going to point out the The Enigma of Amigara Fault (which I almost forgot included in the Gyo 2nd volume) is one of Ito's best one-shot (and I've already read A LOT of Itou stuff) so that kinda sealed my approval for this manga.
Apr 6, 2011 9:46 AM

Sep 2009
The Enigma of Amigara Fault was definitely excellent, but if we're including that, we must also consider The Sad Tale of the Principal Post, which was a half-assed shell of what could have been a decent Junji Ito concept if it had gone anywhere, seeming to exist only to take up a few pages.

And again, even if we were to vote on Amigara Fault in of itself, I would still vote no. While it does have exactly what Uzumaki had and Gyo didn't, Uzumaki is a much better developed version of the same story.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.