Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2011 7:47 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
They went on a simple hunt for the dragon balls and ran into Broly, what luck!

Well that was boring. And pretty bad. The fights were especially lame considering no one was a match for Broly. Gohan is the only one who was close, but even so there's still a pretty large difference. Also, Krillin cosplaying as Piccolo? No thanks.
MonochromeMar 30, 2011 7:51 PM
Apr 12, 2011 11:43 AM

Feb 2009
Not on par with the first one, but Gohan Vs. Broly was pretty good!

I watched the digitally remastered Funimation dub.

PS: To the TC, if you careful think about it, no one should be a match for Broly, not even Goku, And at this point it's pretty certain that Gohan is at least stronger than Goku when the first Broly came out.
May 12, 2011 11:25 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Quite good. 8/10 and kinda dramatic
But movies kinda suck overall... series were much beter

movies feels like they are made by fans or beginners..
Sep 10, 2011 11:37 AM

Aug 2010
This film was not nearly as good as the first, but I guess it wasn't awful either. The beginning part, with Goten, Trunks, and Videl searching for the DBs, meeting the villagers, and hunting the dino, was boring. Once Broly came, the film got better, and the climax was so epic that it saved the whole film.

Goten and Trunks are such brats in this film though, they're annoying. Videl was mostly useless. I think the reason Krillin saved Gohan in that costume was because Toei was making fun at how Piccolo before now saved Gohan in EVERY SINGLE FILM!

Still, the ending was epic, so kudos to that.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 31, 2013 7:12 AM

Apr 2010
I don't know if Shen Long summoning was correct (no dragon in his form) and what the desire really was.

First 30 minutes were really bad, Broly was humiliated by Trunks.
Great to see Krilin finally useful to somebody.
Good final fight and the family Kamehameha.

6/10.
Nov 27, 2013 4:42 PM

May 2012
Didn't thought to see Broly again, he does appear to be way stronger in the 8th movie but well still a pretty sweet movie in general! Lets see what the next movie has to offer!
Jan 9, 2014 6:21 AM

Jun 2009
Well...that was pretty terrible. The first half was incredibly shit. The plot hole surrounding Goku/Shenron was big enough to drive my car through. Ridiculous. I'm really not looking forward to watching the next movie...Bio-Broly here I come...yay........

Quoting what I posted last movie.

Tyestor said:
There's a list on Kanzenshuu that shows where each movie takes place and where you can watch them while watching DBZ despite the fact that all the DBZ movies technically take place in an alternate universe. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=573
Mar 4, 2014 8:32 AM

Jan 2013
Okay so first of all Goten, Trunks and Videl are a match against Broly... then Gohan is a match for him without going into Saiyan mode.. Most interesting are those 3 Goten, Trunks and Videl.. it means any of them could destroy the universe (considering Freeza was able to and Goku already defeated Freeza loong before Broly). Then if we consider that Broly came back from death with him being a Saiyan means he is more powerful that being the reason all 3 were needed to beat him... Anyways wasn't that good.
7/10.
Aug 9, 2014 9:41 PM

Oct 2013
pretty badass loved it when goku showed up
no love for vegeta again D:
[/quote]
Aug 11, 2014 3:55 PM

Oct 2009
malvarez1 said:
This film was not nearly as good as the first, but I guess it wasn't awful either.

What are you talking about, this one was much better than the first one

malvarez1 said:
The beginning part, with Goten, Trunks, and Videl searching for the DBs, meeting the villagers, and hunting the dino, was boring.

kratos_aurion said:
First 30 minutes were really bad,

Tyestor said:
Well...that was pretty terrible. The first half was incredibly shit.

No, it was the best part of the film!

kratos_aurion said:
I don't know if Shen Long summoning was correct (no dragon in his form) and what the desire really was.

Goten asked Shen Long to help defeat Broly

I feel somewhat sorry for the dinosaur

At last someone thought of an idea to ask Shen Long to beat the monster in their place

So first Broly survives the destruction of Planet Vegeta by Freeza, then collision of New Planet Vegeta with Comet Gumori...

Also, why did the ED have animation from the prequel?
Oct 24, 2014 4:36 PM
Mar 2013
Goku and his sons were clearly beaten in that beam fight. Broly wasn't even being total serious with the beam fight, he was still toying around and was still easily overpowering them with hardly any effort, and he would have won if kid Trunks hadn't blocked his last energy balls ment to power up the big one (if it got any stronger it would have been too strong). I have to say him being blown away by their blast was bull (for what I've already said in this paragragh).
RoychopOct 25, 2014 8:04 PM
Nov 19, 2015 3:03 AM

Dec 2014
broly first movie was better. Still like trunks and Goten though
Nov 19, 2015 8:56 AM

Aug 2014
What a letdown. I forced myself to watch through this movie with some random scenes in it, even tho I like Broly as an antagonist, this movie did not entertain me at all.

I give it a 4/10 for the OST and for Videl's appearance, despite the awkward ending.
Jun 10, 2016 11:02 AM
Sep 2007
Videl looked really nice in this movie.
Jul 31, 2016 11:26 PM
Apr 2016
Where the hell was Vegeta? And when will they stop asking Goku to do everything for them? I know he is the hero but goddamn do something different for a change.
Aug 26, 2016 9:11 AM

Feb 2016
So... Broly basically crashed land on Earth after the events of the first movie and got encased in ice for 7 years? Hmm...

Then I guess when the guys were in the area something awoke in his "soul" that triggered his awakening. Pretty interesting...

I wonder what Videl and Goten/Trunks were originally collecting the Dragon balls for though...

Also I see where the level in Dragon Ball Xenoverse comes from now :o And I guess the dragon ball farming capability of the mission comes from Goten's lil bit with the getting the last ball/the other ball being near by. I kinda like that detail. I also see this is how the "Father/Son Kamehemeha" was born :o

I kinda wish Gohan would just get it together soon... he didn't even go SSJ2 as usual... I just wish he would take some time to train at some point and be able to just jump into serious mode and kick ass. It just kinda bothers me seeing him getting his ass kicked when he has so much potential and he's just pretty muchstubborn (Like against Cell) and doesn't snap/transform easily...

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Sep 10, 2016 8:31 PM

Sep 2013
Meh....the Broly movies always kind of more me. He's basically just the Dragon Ball version of the Hulk.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 28, 2017 7:35 AM
Aug 2014
Was rather enjoying this one; till Broly showed up. After that it was just a one-sided 35 minute beatdown by Broly
Jul 27, 2019 10:31 AM
Jan 2017
welp in my opinion, this was better than the 1st broly movie becuase the chracters acted as they did, unlike vegeta form the 1st broly ovie. But this movie is still boring compared to the othe DBZ movies. I mean thye just find broly who happened to be on Earth w/ NO explanation on how. And personally Goten and kid trunks are among my least favorite DBZ chars.
but still I give this a 6/10 soley because all characters acted within their personalities, the 2 kids acted cocky as usual, videl with her stubborn pride, and so on.
Sep 27, 2019 7:41 AM

Nov 2017
A little better than I remembered. &++ the licensed music is good here too (though there isn't as much variety compared to the first movie). Apparently Broly has lost whatever sanity he had before. He only said like, what, one thing outside of "Kakarot"? His Super Saiyan form design is pretty kick ass.

That family Kamehameha was awesome! Definitely the highlight of this movie
Mar 29, 2020 3:41 PM

Nov 2016
Not sure why this movie even exists.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 27, 2021 10:51 AM

Oct 2011
Same as the first movie: Broly completely overpowers everyone and no-sells even being submerged in lava, then gets distracted by what would have been even less than a mosquito bite and gets beaten by a Goku ex machina. Then we're supposed to believe being sent into the sun would do anything to him? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just great. /s

At least it's better then Bio-Broly.
Jun 7, 2022 8:42 PM

Nov 2010
Is it just me or it was as if the movie was in slow-mo?

They wasted Broly here and it still sucks that adult Gohan has nothing to offer. None of the fights were good. At least that triple kamehameha was cool. 5/10
Aug 8, 2022 2:01 PM
Dec 2013
Okay, it pissed me off when Videl slapped Goten when he just wanted to eat something. And it pissed me off even more when she then told him to be quiet when SHE was the one who made him cry. God, Videl is such a bitch. And yes, I know Goten's tears were crocodile tears. Doesn't change the fact that slapping someone for that is a shitty thing to do.
wildhoodAug 8, 2022 2:07 PM
May 25, 2023 2:57 PM
Sep 2010
32 minutes to get to Gohan vs. broly and what came before it was incredibly boring.
the big fight itself was bland, its just big broly beatdown repeated, did the guys making this just forget that Gohan had SSJ 2 now or what cause the fight should have been a hell of a lot more interesting with both fighters being around the same strength.
Jul 27, 2023 10:08 PM

Jul 2017
Nothing really to write home about for this one. Videl, Goten, and Trunks save a village (in a weird way that comes off as kind of cruel). Then Broly appears, and this time the creators realize that this is a slasher movie. There's some weird comedy. Dragon Balls are gathered but aren't used. Krillin and Gohan come out of nowhere. Then of course they wish for Goku to help them, and he does (or they had the idea of Goku helping them to motivate them).

Not a great depiction of shamanism/indigenous religions. Eating the dinosaur seemed kind of creepy, especially after Trunks and Goten toy with them. Broly is used better here, but is still kind of boring with his "I hate Goku because he cried" thing. Really cool landscapes and colors. The best part was Krillin coming in and remarking that the others wouldn't have made it a season without him. That's great!
Oct 12, 2023 10:10 AM

Nov 2012
great movie, so Broly's new arch-nemesis following goku's death are..goten, trunks and videl lool. Ofc Gohan is made to be the main match, but definitely felt like it was really Videl and the kids getting in his way this time, with Gohan just stepping up as best he can to carry Goku's mantle. I mean it was even Goten's crying mistaken as Goku's that woke Broly lol. Hilarious to set up such a rivalry between Broly and them tho, with how hilariously outmatched they all are...and surprising not to see Gotenks in the movie at all.

but where were piccolo & vegeta, heck even Tien and Yamcha...a classic complaint but it's already established they sense high power levels, they all would've been aware of Broly rising there. Still we get some iconic moments like the father-son kamehameha and an odd but cool easter egg in the Piccolo dressed Krillin. (I feel like the lack of gotenks was probably simply so we could get the father-son moment with Goku, Gohan and Goten). I guess maybe the others were omitted for similar reasons, to focus and showcase the characters we did get better. But Broly defo qualifies as a planetary level threat you'd expect all the Z fighters to sense and react too. Possibly the only chance we would've had for Tien and Yamcha to meet Z Broly too, since the first fight happened off world and they missed it. I'm aware ofc of their general sidelining of many of the Z fighters, but hell we even got Tien and Yamcha in Bojack, literally the movie before this one...so it's not that far-fetched to see them show up and pitch in a lil.

minor random complaints anyway, still overall enjoyable, classic Z even I'd say (yes I include the Buu saga as classic, even if it's not quite as amazing as the earlier arcs, still great and certainly this era of the movies too)
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Jan 7, 7:45 AM

Apr 2021
it went really well! Until Goha got stronger, but it wasn't enough.

I thought it was Piccolo. Krillin, on the other hand, always gets the worst of it, receiving the blows without doing anything. same sir belly xD
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.