Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2011 3:05 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The ending was the ending I was hoping for. For a moment, I thought Hikari would be forced to leave the real world, but coming back with Hikaru was a nice surprise.

Still, this season was pretty bleh compared to the first one, even though I adored Lulun.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2013 7:37 PM

Apr 2008
Thought Goku powering up for 5 episodes was ridiculous? Then try 45 for Max Heart to advance one plot point an inch. Seriously, I never thought I'd dislike a Precure season of all things this much. There was literally next to nothing redeemable about this sequel. First of all, the premise was a huge instance of plot armour a la "you just killed the big bad guy but guess what, he didn't really die" (basically making Honoka and Nagisa's endevaours from the last season pointless). Next, the focus was almost entirely on a character who ended up just being a huge plot device, Hikari. The problem here was that her "development" was entirely circular, with her resolve barely budging and inch from the first episode. And believe it or not, Toei managed to stretch this out for the entire season, essentially killing any semblance of tension regarding the Big Bad's imminent revival. As for Nagisa and Honoka, while they were still entertaining characters, their relationship had already peaked at the end of the last season. As a result, anything involving them amounted to recycled or redundant development.

To make matters worse, it also felt as if Max Heart was Toei's attempt at trying to be educational or something. While perhaps a noble goal, this more or less amounted to them preaching the exact same set of messages in the most blatant manner possible. It wouldn't be a stretch to say the characters spouted the phrase "DON'T GIVE UP HOPE" about 10 times each episode. And while preaching isn't unheard of in Precure shows, when the episode plotlines recycle themselves so often and the scenarios barely relate to such a life or death matter, it feels entirely tacked on.

So 47 episodes later and what do we get for sitting through all of this? One good looking fight, a bunch of powerlevel bullshit and an ending which nullified the entire purpose of Hikari's decision. Thanks Toei.

Yes, I know, at the end of the day it's a show meant for prepubescent girls and not 20-something men that analyze cartoons as if they were arthouse films. But it's still shit, even if it is from a franchise I love. /rant

Mar 2, 2014 1:54 PM

Dec 2013
I'm really glad Hikari had stayed in the Garden of Rainbow but the lack of explications is disappointing....how did Queen manage to still be without Hikari?
Anyway i though it was a really good sequel! A bit repetitive but fun :)

Mar 13, 2017 6:54 PM

Feb 2008
A sequel that didn't really need to exist since it doesn't really bring much to the table, but I guess just seeing more of Honoka and Nagisa was good enough. It's not as good as the first half of Futari wa, but it's better than the second half of it, especially since Porun gets tamed by Hikari after a while.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
May 24, 2017 10:01 PM

Nov 2011
I was wondering the whole season of Max Heart why this got a worse rep than the first. Reading the responses here finally tells me why, but I can't relate.

For one, I didn't feel like the pacing was dragged out any worse than it was in the first season. The goal has always been pretty simple: stop the Dark King, stop his generals, and collect whatever stuff you need to achieve that. While you could argue that was somewhat more interesting during the first half of the first season since the "generals of darkness" actually got defeated relatively often, I just can't take that seriously because the first season did a poorer job of making me care in the first place. Sure, I don't want Nagisa and Honoka to die, but do I genuinely care about this grand struggle between the forces of light and darkness?

For the first season, no, I can't say I did very much. Nagisa and Honoka were doing their jobs as the "generals of light" under the Queen of Light and that was about it. The fight wasn't personal beyond the extent to which it affected our main characters, and that along with little else to keep the plot spiced up and weaker action than I had anticipated is what caused the first season to be a disappointment to me.

Max Heart changed all of that. Due to the aftermath of the first season, the Queen of Light is forced to step off her throne and devolve into her base state, and in the meantime the power to consume all things, darkness, musters the last of its power into a similarly devolved state. Suddenly instead of having giant larger than life forces battling in otherworldly realms, the conflict becomes personal in more ways than one.

Although I don't think I can claim the individual episode-to-episode quality was substantially improved, the way the story handled the developments between Hikari and the unnamed boy was good and an improved extension of the one noteworthy subplot in the first season between Honoka and Kiriya. The attractive yet antagonistic nature of light and darkness alone made the overarching plotline more interesting than what the first season had to offer.

When you add on better production values and the same good characterization within the core cast, I can't help but see Futari wa Precure: Max Heart as a superior experience to the original. It's still not especially noteworthy overall, but this time I felt more like my time was well spent.

Maybe it took some people more than 50 episode to realize they hated the pacing, but anyone who thinks it suddenly got worse is probably kidding themselves. The pacing in Max Heart was actually faster during the start and equal to the first season after said start.

Max Heart was good, and it definitely wasn't a disappointment.

I very much enjoyed the ending as well. Finally, Nagisa and Honoka's world is at peace.
Jun 30, 2017 7:14 PM

Apr 2012
Man, I sure hope the Garden of Light is paying for the cost of Hikari and Hikaru staying with Akane, hahaha.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Dec 14, 2018 6:27 PM
Oct 2017
The ending is pretty explicitly Roman Catholic, presenting the idea of Hikari/Luminous being the Queen's Life i.e. the Queen yet also existing as a separate, autonomous entity from the Queen. Her sacrifice to "become" what she already is in order to save the world is a direct allusion to Christ's crucifixion/resurrection/ascension into heaven via Catholic catechism.
Mar 17, 2019 11:01 AM

Jul 2015
That was a great ending and I couldn't have asked for more, although sadly it doesn't make the season better than the "decent" 6-6.5/10 it has been around from a bit after the start, this is the first Precure I don't at least really like (or directly not absolutely love if I exclude the original) so it's such an underwhelming feeling since I was really hoping to have a nice time with every entry, but oh well, it could have been worse for sure.
Nov 19, 2019 5:01 PM

Jun 2014
What an intense and emotional ending! I broke down into tears watching this.

I was so happy that Hikari was able to come back to live in their world. And that's not all, as the boy, who is now named "Hikaru" is there, along with Mepple, Mipple, Porun and Lulun.

Everything is as it should be, and in the end, I place this series up on the same level as the first season. This really is a masterpiece.

May 30, 2021 8:55 AM
Oct 2019
Well, that was the perfect ending this could have gotten, while a little bit clumsy this season was still fantastic. I am very very glad I saw this. The intense happiness I felt when Hikari came back, man, that was great!!
Aug 23, 2021 1:05 AM
Aug 2021
I'll make a BIG Difference.
Apr 28, 7:31 PM

Dec 2022
awesome finale man, really really damn good, much better than the original Futari wa finale. in fact, for me, this whole season was an improvement over the original on almost every metric. specifically the variety of different ideas from episode to episode they threw out there to see how it worked, how romantic it became, and how ultra-melodramatic the whole thing got in general, and it's clear they built off this season A LOT for all of the future season. I'd say much more so than Futari wa, which more or less just did a really good job establishing the identity of the series.
BUT
unfortunately being ultra melodramatic caused it to almost always feel E X T R E M E L Y slow paced. not in a charming way either, just in a way that it felt like the runtime was being padded. still frames for the sake of dramatic effect almost always overstayed their welcome, significantly overstayed
so yeah, in the end, overall liked it about as well as Futari wa.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Futari wa Precure: Max Heart Episode 46 Discussion

ihateeveryone - Jun 17, 2014

4 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 28, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Futari wa Precure: Max Heart Episode 45 Discussion

4 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 28, 6:35 PM

Poll: » Futari wa Precure: Max Heart Episode 44 Discussion

4 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 28, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Futari wa Precure: Max Heart Episode 43 Discussion

4 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 28, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Futari wa Precure Max Heart Episode 42 Discussion

ScrewBall - Dec 12, 2010

8 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 27, 7:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.