Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 28, 2011 11:00 AM

Nov 2009
Convolvolus said:
What an awesome way to finish things off :) At what episode do I start watching the original to pick up where Kai left off??

Episode 194 in the original Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z.
May 4, 2011 8:43 AM

Nov 2010
I hope they make Buu saga but with a new animation
May 12, 2011 2:50 AM

Dec 2009
Honestly I liked the English dub version voice actors much better than the original Japanese ones... This is the only anime where I can say this, but I guess growing up watching DBZ in English just feels more natural than hearing it in Japanese now.

All in all, DB is an epic anime and Kai did a good job bringing it all together concisely, but the slow fight pacing still kills me every time. I think I'll have to go back and watch the English version of Gohan reaching ss2, cause Kai didn't do it justice :(.
May 15, 2011 3:35 AM

May 2009
3/5 nothing to love or enjoy, just ok
Aug 22, 2011 2:12 PM

Jul 2008
I really enjoyed watching Dragon Ball Kai! I finished it on April 20 this year. I loved to see it again as I loved Dragon Ball Z as a kid, and I still do! Too bad they didn't made the Buu Saga though ^_^

I just saw episode 98, the episode which wasn't aired because of the earthquake. It was released on August 2 on Blu-Ray. I don't see it on MAL though ..
Kipi, The Goddess of Cosplay Fanclub and Arisa the Queen of Cosplay Fanclub!

Aug 22, 2011 9:34 PM

Oct 2007
Someone update the series, it's 98 episodes.
Aug 30, 2011 7:18 AM

Oct 2009
Well this was the first time watching DB for me and i thoroughly enjoyed it, even though the shouting is too much xD I saw how much other anime has copied off of this :\

Goku :(

Wonder if i should watch this Buu Saga, hmm..

8/10
Dec 25, 2011 11:20 AM

Oct 2009
Loved it! Some really nostalgic feelings towards the adventures of Son Goku and his friends)). Once again, I'm gonna miss them. =)

DOKKAN! DOKKAN!
Aug 15, 2012 11:53 AM
Jul 2012
Well, Gohan is a very good student.

Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Oct 29, 2012 9:00 AM

Apr 2011
This is the first Dragon Ball I've ever finished and I really like it!!!

Jan 19, 2013 2:10 AM

Jun 2009
18 so tsundere. Overall, fantastic adaption for what they had to work with. Not an FMA:Brotherhood level remake but still very good. It's better than nothing either way. Personally I felt that Kai was much better than the original DBZ. There are only two things I miss about the original DBZ.

Firstly, I miss the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack. It was part of my childhood, nothing left to say really. Secondly, there are a few filler episodes/arcs that I miss like the other world tournament (I know it's part of the Great Saiyaman saga but it almost certainly won't be included when they release the rest of the sagas).

All in all, I'm pretty fuckin' stoked for Buu saga, whenever that's released.

Vince said:
One thing that always irked me about the original (and I definitely thought they might change it in this new remake, but I was proven wrong) was the fact that Trunks had to go back to his time and fight the Androids.

Obviously, there's no such thing as time travel, but in theory, since the past was altered, so should the future, and Trunks would return to a time that would be parallel to the time he left. Meaning no Androids or Cell.

But eh. Oh well.

Wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

You can see the above theory in effect in a more recent anime called Steins;Gate.
loghneckbeardJan 19, 2013 2:13 AM
Apr 2, 2013 9:48 PM
Apr 2012
Anybody knows why they didn't continue the Re-makes until the end?

Me being stupid and not knowing anything thought that was the end of the Dragon Ball series. Until i looked up the episodes after 190 something in the Z series that i realized i still had a looong way to go to with another 100 episodes or so.. :(

oh well...
Oct 12, 2013 7:23 PM
Jul 2013
Best Anime ever!!!

Goodby Goku!
Sep 6, 2014 4:41 PM

Jul 2014
Toei Animation is so retarded, they should have completely reanimated it instead of upscaling the whole thing
Feb 26, 2015 3:36 PM
May 2011
I changed my mind

This is my second viewing of kai, and the first time i've watched it from the begining (started at cell the last time)

i didn't hate the new VA changes as much as my initial viewing.

Still would prefer the old ones but i can live with the changes. Gohan's voice fits him better when he looks like hes 5 years old, but when hes older in cell i found Nadolny's to fit him more.

Some things bugged me though. What was up with some of the attack name changes? They decided not to use solar flarespecial beam cannon in the earlier sagas but after cell came he started to use them again. Did they realize it was a mistake halfway through production or something?

In any event maybe its just me, this is like the only anime i've ever seen where i can't even begin to get behind the japanese voices. I usually find them far superior.

Also missing the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack is a big downer
Jul 22, 2015 6:30 PM

Jul 2013
Freaking awesome! The nostalgia!
Aug 16, 2015 7:13 PM

Nov 2009
LOL at Shenron, what a lack of patience!

Looking forward to watching Kai 2014 when I get back home in a few month.
Sep 12, 2016 4:23 PM

Jan 2013
Not happy that they skipped Trunk's cannon episodes and cutting most of the awesome fillers that add some favor and humor to otherwise dry repetitive overall story arc. But still pretty good.
Really an easy watch, just plain fighting and characters being badasses. 8/10 ^_^
well, off to buu saga....not looking forward to it but gotta finish the whole story.
BornWithCHeeSeSep 12, 2016 7:32 PM
Jan 19, 2017 12:00 PM

Jan 2015
Man, that was epic! Now I was thinking to watch Buu saga, but I guess another time!
Oct 12, 2019 2:10 PM

May 2012
Great closure of not only this arc but also just in general for this first part of the various DBZ arcs if you ask me. This Kai version really did improve quite a bit especially on pacing while still remaining with the base story of what is Dragon Ball.

Really love the Cell Arc so I find it quite nice how they finished this with the Cell Arc and split it up for the last DBZ arc(s) to be put on another "season".

All in all I really had a very enjoyable recap watch if I can say it like that in running up to watching Dragonball Super!
Aug 27, 2020 7:01 PM

Dec 2007
little summarise for the episode:
- vegeta promise he won't fight again, probably to not let his pride crashed again, we will see about it.
- goku accepts death.
- kuririn asks for #18 to be human, since it's impossible, he asks only to remove their bombs.
- mirai trunks going back to the future.

the only thing trouble me is that if chichi really get hold of goten, how goku leaved her that way? it seems that really toriyama didn't want to continue.
either than that, perfect ending.

now about the first dbk, there's some points that really didn't get the impact as dbz, but dbk sure made sure to let the important parts to shine, really great remake of bdz.
9/10
Jan 10, 2021 9:03 AM

Jan 2013
Even though the Kai series was a step down for me personally ... I just love the Dragon Ball series so much!

As for why it was a step down;

• As the first thing I was exposed to was the dub on TV, the soundtrack is the first thing that comes to mind.
    The Ocean and Faulconer soundtracks for me were way more impacful, you could feel the dread and pain or even the hype during fights, the soundtracks of Kai didn't have the same strength.
    Just looking at Goku's first transformation with the Faulconer track vs the Kai track or even Gohan's power up to SSJ 2 during Cell.
  • The new animated scenes and art just stuck out like a sore thumb, it didn't fit the original scenes at all and it just takes you out of the moment, especially during the Freeza saga.
  • The faster pace at times did help but at other times it just makes the scenes less emotional or impactful.
    This is also why the supposed filler episodes never stood out to me as "filler", it was just a part of the Dragon Ball experience.
    I would have loved more time with Gohan and Goku at the start of Kai or more time seeing the Ginyu force. even entire sagas were removed like the Garlic Jr. Saga which I loved.

The one thing that I think was a great improvement was the voice acting, the delivery was a lot better.
I wasn't a fan of some of the new VA's like Gohan or Tien but after a while I got used to it, I actually think the new VA for Freeza did a fantastic job. - Gohan's VA stepped up too.

One weird thing I noticed was that "Destructo Disc" is translated to Kienzan in the Freeza Saga but in the Cell sage it's back to Destructo Disc

To summarize, if you're an old fan of Dragon Ball Z and want to relive the nostalgia, you're missing out on way too much compared to the older series, even if it's double the length in episodes. - Meaning you should definitely watch Z.

If you're a new fan or can't afford to watch almost 300 episodes Kai should be fine for you as it does what it was advertised as, just don't expect to resonate with the fans of Z as it's a completely different experience.
Mar 2, 2022 7:14 PM
Jul 2018
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. I would've figured for a childhood favorite anime such as this that my feelings towards it would have changed drastically. It may not be as great of a series as it was for me as a kid. But it was still really enjoyable. I was kind of reluctant to watch the Kai version since I really love the soundtrack of the original. But the soundtrack for this was pretty decent. Although I don't think I'll ever like the opening music.
Aug 22, 2022 12:42 PM

Oct 2020
A great ending !
Can't wait to see where it goes from here !
Aug 24, 2022 7:34 PM
Aug 2022
love it amazing show
Sep 14, 2022 6:17 PM
Aug 2015
нармальна
Nov 9, 2022 5:53 PM
Nov 2022
good series worth it
Feb 15, 2023 4:15 AM
Feb 2023
dragon ball z izlicek vaktiniz yoksa bunu izleyin
Jun 18, 2023 12:36 PM
Jun 2023
THE BEST SHONEN EVER!!!!!!!
Jun 22, 2023 9:25 AM

May 2020
ye it's way too overhyped
it was good but that's it
also whys Goku such a dumbass why does he allow his opponents to heal and stuff

Sep 19, 2023 7:53 AM

Nov 2012
what a nostalgia rush rewatching, defo prefer Z for a number of reasons but glad we have this alternate way to revisit it!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Nov 27, 2023 11:10 AM
May 2023
Was fun, cant wait for super.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 5 Discussion

Ishmael - May 3, 2009

44 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 4 Discussion

Ishmael - Apr 26, 2009

27 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 12:40 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Apr 19, 2009

54 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Danish - Apr 4, 2009

143 by wallus81 »»
Apr 6, 6:44 PM

» Is it worth watching along with DBZ?

RobertBobert - Jul 28, 2023

32 by Alexioos95 »»
Jan 30, 11:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.