How would you rate this manga?
Mar 25, 2011 10:15 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Manga: Jiraishin

MAL Manga Information Page: Jiraishin

MAL Score - 8.19 (by 596 users)
Ranked - #393
Popularity - #801

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

*Since this manga has made the cut-off percentage-wise but has failed to gather enough votes, it is now once more available for nomination due to rule changes. (August 2011)

RESULTS OF THE RESURRECTION YOU DECIDE POLL (12/03/2017)

Jiraishin was NOT inducted into the club Manga list: 0%
- Yes: 0
- No: 0
- I haven't read this manga: 48
~ Abstained: 0
~ Ineligible: 2

Dr_TokamiMar 24, 2017 4:30 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 25, 2011 2:59 PM

Jan 2009
This leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. It was meant to do that though.
Actually, that is my only major concern with the manga. It feels extremely contrived because it tries its hardest to come up with deplorable people and actions. The eloquence of Kyoya also feels contrived, which is a shame as his character is in essence interesting and captivating.

I think I'll still vote yes, but I'm wavering.
Mar 25, 2011 7:29 PM

Mar 2010
ridojiri said:
This leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. It was meant to do that though.
Actually, that is my only major concern with the manga. It feels extremely contrived because it tries its hardest to come up with deplorable people and actions. The eloquence of Kyoya also feels contrived, which is a shame as his character is in essence interesting and captivating.

I think I'll still vote yes, but I'm wavering.

I'm actually going to vote no for the very same reason you brought up. While this is a good manga, it is heavily flawed and not deserving of induction. Besides, 1/3 of the manga is actually quite bad, especially the first few stories. I can understand why Lind commented that this is gonna be a no after he read the first two volumes because I held the same opinion. Thankfully it gets better later on but that wasn't enough.
Hattori_HanzoMar 25, 2011 7:53 PM
Mar 26, 2011 5:37 AM

Sep 2009
I'm not too far in at the moment, so I'm still open to be swayed, but at the moment I have the exact same complaint as Ridojiri. The so-called "grit" feels incredibly forced, and for the most part removes any of the impact the story might have had.
Mar 26, 2011 6:50 AM

Feb 2010
It was set in Shinjuku, a crime/yakuza infested city, so naturally there will be a variety set of criminals shown throughout the 18 Vols. I'm not sure what you guys meant by 'grit', I'm actually glad this manga does not feature any yandere/yangire villains or body-mutilation lovers both who are usually completely overblown just to inject a 'shock' factor.

In this premise, unlike say some random high school club, it was meant to show deplorable characters in form of a thriller, in an episodic nature. The start and rise of criminals, the riveting process of their arrestment and finally the interactions between them and our brooding antihero protagonist. I don't disagree that certain stories are weaker, especially the earlier parts, but there are also hidden gems in Jiraishin. For example the case of Girl A or the kid who stage his own public suicide.

The art was an excellent complement to the nature of the story. It has the classic noir setting, the actions are easy to follow and also shown us some disturbing yet realistic facial expression.

There are still flaws though, like how Ida remained unscathed (physically) even in the eyes of international laws. But, like the case of Bokurano, I'm conveniently putting them aside. In Bokurano, I look for a deconstructed mecha genre, basically a messed-up children mecha story. In Jiraishin, I look for a story that present to me a wide variety case of intriguing and believable criminals. Both story deliver, therefore, both of them will get my vote.
Mar 26, 2011 11:08 PM

Jan 2009
live2win said:

Noir is a genre (mostly western at that- though this is more debatable) that very much sticks to its cliches, more so than a lot of other genres.

The way Jiraishin deviates or sticks to these codes and conventions, is very forced, and stays the same the whole way through the story.

Thus, it isn't natural; it feels contrived. Variety is the spice of life as people say.

Actually, just reading a Kitakata would probably illustrate my point most vividly in context.
ridojiriMar 27, 2011 4:16 AM
Mar 30, 2011 8:53 AM

Feb 2008
As has been mentioned above, the stories in Jiraishin are filled with attempts at grit that feel hammered in. Characters are flat and act mostly as archetype, in true 80s film fashion the heroes get away with more or less anything, most stories are deliberately set in the less savoury corners of the world and some are riddled with overused or intrusive tropes.
All criticism voiced in respect of this is valid. It also misses the point.

I found myself with a smug smile when reading the Hamburg story, as the author just had to have the entirety of it set in the underside of town, having his characters trot through dramatically enhanced versions of the Reeperbahn, the Herbertstrasse and the port. It was all a bit silly and, even though the story had received a great deal of input from German cartoonist Matz Maika, seemed not to resemble the actual Hamburg at all.
Which it wasn't supposed to be. Jiraishin does not really play out on Earth as we know it: it's set in the world that contains Gotham and Sin City, one of comic book noir. Characters by design become walking dispensers of rote line and trope, as focus does not lie so much on the characters themselves, or their personal thoughts and feelings, but on the interplay between the types. It does make for some very tense dialogues, some of which become all the more remarkable by their seeming normalcy, and actually makes many of the supporting characters all the more striking (Lisa Lewis, for instance, is a woman walking limited set of dialogue options whom it's easy to fall for). Actions may often times be disproportionate, go against general rules of morality or justice, and all is rather a bit overblown, but it all fits the genre, even if it's all a tad uninspired.

Even if the story and characterisation are, overall, not overly much to write home about, though, the art certainly is. While the technical proficiency is simply decent - though not more so than that of many mangaka - what makes this title stand out is the amount of variation of styles and techniques.
A few examples: The Hamburg story features supporting characters that are drawn in a slightly different style, just a bit more approaching the style of Maika's own drawings. Most of the stories set in the West feature very strong use of chiaroscuro, as well as of panel composition featuring alternating black and white fields. Ligne claire is at times used for action scenes, alternated with pages featuring heavier use of shading. Ink sketching is employed to give scenes a somewhat hazy look; the reverse, a lack of inking, is seen as well. At one point the author even tries a form of pointillism with ink (though it doesn't really work well). It almost seems as if Takahashi only refrained from using croquis and made us of every other style he knows.
Moreover, the style used is almost always appropriate and enhances the mood aimed for, even if said mood itself can be a bit of a genre cliché.
Tired a genre as it has become, noir is nowadays perhaps best savoured through a visual medium, which can shrug off the contrived plot and flat characters by providing a good sense of mood and stylistic art. In these respects, Jiraishin certainly delivers.

Is it good? If one can live with its flaws, yes. Is it recommendable? To a limited audience only, really. Should it be inducted? Leaning towards a 'Yes', but finding myself short of really convincing reasons to vote thus.
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.