MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Good anime to learn Japanese?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Good anime to learn Japanese?

03-12-11, 2:28 PM

What are some good anime with relatively simple vocabulary and such that I can use to help me learn some more Japanese? I know it's not a substitute for actually learning the language, but this might be something fun to try out. Likewise, it's something I would want to watch raw instead of subbed.

My current level is JLPT level 3 with the old format, if that helps.

03-14-11, 6:48 AM

Well watch something that doesn't involve alot of science. so something day to day Like High School anime. Don't watch anime specific, like Genshiken, where there are lots of anime and game references.

Would recommend watching something you've watched before but without subs.
http://shintai88.deviantart.com/ Just some of my artwork (Total Noob Btw)

03-14-11, 7:17 PM

Chi's Sweet Home. Very simple, very entertaining, especially if you're a cat person.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!

Every time you recommend Sword Art Online, a baby seal gets clubbed.

03-14-11, 7:43 PM

My Japanese professor was a big anime fan, so she would sometimes show us anime in class to help us practice. Usually stuff like Doraemon (we even had a Doraemon-themed textbook one year), but we also watched things like My Neighbor Totoro and anime adaptations of various Japanese folk tales.

Doraemon's definitely a good way to go if you want something cute with simple dialogue. I think we also watched Okaasan no Uchi in first-year Japanese class and it was accessible to us even then.

03-15-11, 10:46 AM

I find the new Pokemon series is quite easy to understand, I've watched a few episodes raw and managed to get the gist of most of the dialogue. Kids anime in general is probably a good bet as the dialogue is often much more pronounced and easier to follow along with.

The Mameshiba shorts might be worth a look as they don't use any complex words. They're literally 30 seconds long, but they're good for checking if you can keep up with the native speed of speech.

03-15-11, 11:17 AM

Sazae-san
Mini Moni the TV
any Old Tatsunoko Anime

03-15-11, 2:48 PM

Modified by silkyheartBR, 03-15-11, 3:01 PM

03-15-11, 4:25 PM

Seconding Chobits.

03-15-11, 5:54 PM

I don't think there's really any anime good for learning japanese, but if you're going to try it I would recommend simpler shows like Doraemon, Chi's sweet Home, Sazae-san, and pretty much what's has been said in this thread, another thing that might help you out is watching both subs and raws. I think that's how I picked up some of what I know, that and listening to music.

03-16-11, 5:10 PM

Dunno why, maybe they talked slower or something, but I was able to pick up a lot of the dialogue when I watched Welcome To The NHK.

There are two types of anime - almost as good as Elfen Lied, and not as good as Elfen Lied.

03-16-11, 5:24 PM

I would say there are only the occasional BAD anime to try to use to learn Japanese. Tatami Galaxy. stay away from that.

Otherwise, even if there's slang, you probably won't pick it up right away as you need to kind of get used to grammar and such first before you can really pick up vocab. You'll just learn the most basic things first. Greetings, partings, the fact that "no" is possessive, which you can learn with anime in any setting. Just make sure they don't talk too fast.

As soon as you learn a little bit, you'll be able to distinguish slang, polite speech, maybe some accents, so you can pick and chose which sentences to use after that.

I found that Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was particularly easy.

03-19-11, 10:36 AM

I'm learning Japanese too...
and at same level like you...
here, some advice...
just watch many anime as much as possible, don't care it's easy or not. it help a lot for your conversation and listening ability...

03-19-11, 11:12 AM

You can learn Japanese from any Anime.

98% of what they say in Anime is completely normal Japanese. Even in Naruto, most of the dialogue is just normal Japanese.

I don't know why people don't get that.

Anime is made by native Japanese people For other native Japanese people. Therefore, it uses everyday normal Japanese, regardless of what the show is about.

Also, if you're learning Japanese. DO NOT use subtitles....turn them off completely. Do not rely on them. You'll never learn if that's the case.

Modified by TheBastid, 03-19-11, 11:18 AM

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices