Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 12, 2011 2:28 PM

Jan 2009
What are some good anime with relatively simple vocabulary and such that I can use to help me learn some more Japanese? I know it's not a substitute for actually learning the language, but this might be something fun to try out. Likewise, it's something I would want to watch raw instead of subbed.

My current level is JLPT level 3 with the old format, if that helps.
Mar 14, 2011 6:48 AM
May 2009
Well watch something that doesn't involve alot of science. so something day to day Like High School anime. Don't watch anime specific, like Genshiken, where there are lots of anime and game references.

Would recommend watching something you've watched before but without subs.
Mar 14, 2011 7:17 PM

Jul 2007
Chi's Sweet Home. Very simple, very entertaining, especially if you're a cat person.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Mar 14, 2011 7:43 PM

Oct 2007
My Japanese professor was a big anime fan, so she would sometimes show us anime in class to help us practice. Usually stuff like Doraemon (we even had a Doraemon-themed textbook one year), but we also watched things like My Neighbor Totoro and anime adaptations of various Japanese folk tales.

Doraemon's definitely a good way to go if you want something cute with simple dialogue. I think we also watched Okaasan no Uchi in first-year Japanese class and it was accessible to us even then.
Mar 15, 2011 10:46 AM

Aug 2010
I find the new Pokemon series is quite easy to understand, I've watched a few episodes raw and managed to get the gist of most of the dialogue. Kids anime in general is probably a good bet as the dialogue is often much more pronounced and easier to follow along with.

The Mameshiba shorts might be worth a look as they don't use any complex words. They're literally 30 seconds long, but they're good for checking if you can keep up with the native speed of speech.
Mar 15, 2011 11:17 AM
Feb 2011
Sazae-san
Mini Moni the TV
any Old Tatsunoko Anime
Mar 15, 2011 2:48 PM
Dec 2010
Chobits (http://myanimelist.net/anime/59/Chobits)
Kobato. (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5678/Kobato.)
heartofsilkyMar 15, 2011 3:01 PM
Mar 15, 2011 4:25 PM

Jul 2009
Seconding Chobits.
Mar 15, 2011 5:54 PM
Dec 2010
I don't think there's really any anime good for learning japanese, but if you're going to try it I would recommend simpler shows like Doraemon, Chi's sweet Home, Sazae-san, and pretty much what's has been said in this thread, another thing that might help you out is watching both subs and raws. I think that's how I picked up some of what I know, that and listening to music.
Mar 16, 2011 5:10 PM

Feb 2011
Dunno why, maybe they talked slower or something, but I was able to pick up a lot of the dialogue when I watched Welcome To The NHK.

There are two types of anime - almost as good as Elfen Lied, and not as good as Elfen Lied.
Mar 16, 2011 5:24 PM

Sep 2009
I would say there are only the occasional BAD anime to try to use to learn Japanese. Tatami Galaxy. stay away from that.

Otherwise, even if there's slang, you probably won't pick it up right away as you need to kind of get used to grammar and such first before you can really pick up vocab. You'll just learn the most basic things first. Greetings, partings, the fact that "no" is possessive, which you can learn with anime in any setting. Just make sure they don't talk too fast.

As soon as you learn a little bit, you'll be able to distinguish slang, polite speech, maybe some accents, so you can pick and chose which sentences to use after that.

I found that Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was particularly easy.
Mar 19, 2011 10:36 AM

Jun 2009
I'm learning Japanese too...
and at same level like you...
here, some advice...
just watch many anime as much as possible, don't care it's easy or not. it help a lot for your conversation and listening ability...
Mar 19, 2011 11:12 AM
Mar 2008
You can learn Japanese from any Anime.

98% of what they say in Anime is completely normal Japanese. Even in Naruto, most of the dialogue is just normal Japanese.

I don't know why people don't get that.

Anime is made by native Japanese people For other native Japanese people. Therefore, it uses everyday normal Japanese, regardless of what the show is about.

Also, if you're learning Japanese. DO NOT use subtitles....turn them off completely. Do not rely on them. You'll never learn if that's the case.

TheBastidMar 19, 2011 11:18 AM
May 28, 2015 4:40 PM

Sep 2012
TheBastid said:
You can learn Japanese from any Anime.

98% of what they say in Anime is completely normal Japanese. Even in Naruto, most of the dialogue is just normal Japanese.

I don't know why people don't get that.

Anime is made by native Japanese people For other native Japanese people. Therefore, it uses everyday normal Japanese, regardless of what the show is about.

Also, if you're learning Japanese. DO NOT use subtitles....turn them off completely. Do not rely on them. You'll never learn if that's the case.

Totally agree! I even made a meme for this a while back... gunna find it...aha got it

Heck, I even wrote a blog post on it a while back (that's why I have the meme) Check it out at my site's blog. I don't want to spam as it's against the rules so see my sig for the link.

But totally, you won't osmosis it, but you'll definitely pick up a lot if you're listening actively and trying to anticipate what they're about to say. Good luck

May 28, 2015 4:41 PM

Aug 2014
Nanodesu said:
What are some good anime with relatively simple vocabulary and such that I can use to help me learn some more Japanese? I know it's not a substitute for actually learning the language, but this might be something fun to try out. Likewise, it's something I would want to watch raw instead of subbed.

My current level is JLPT level 3 with the old format, if that helps.

i dont actually know. easy way to learn japanese is to take notes example

arigato(thank you)
gomenasai(Im sorry)
taeski des(I like you or I love you I guess)

then you will learn the japanese ABC (to start practicing on your japanese writing)
May 28, 2015 10:07 PM

May 2012
Try romance:
Kaichou wa Maid Sama
Toradora
Tonari no Kaibutsu kun
Suki tte ii na yo
Itazura na Kiss

or Slice of Life:
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki kun
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Tonari no Seki kun
May 28, 2015 10:32 PM

May 2015
I honestly dont recommend the approach but for me, watching Josei anime can be helpful in terms of vocabulary, composition and proper pronunciation as most animes of the genre rarely uses exaggerated speech.

Honey and Clover, Paradise Kiss and Aku no Hana are some of the few titles that has normal speech voices in the long run although the latter is Seinen.

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
May 28, 2015 10:36 PM

May 2015
Shirokuma Cafe! I don't know Japanese but they seem like simpler words spoken kinda slowly. Great show!

More topics from this board

» Looking for harem + ecchi + adventure

aizen_sosuke3162 - 6 hours ago

2 by Longnines »»
1 minute ago

» Looking for trash anime

Ashik01 - May 8

9 by tmoverbeck »»
2 hours ago

» Short Series Recs (12-26 eps).

pludel2 - 2 hours ago

2 by Ohayotaku »»
2 hours ago

» Worst anime ever?

Weltman - May 7

14 by mo_lave »»
7 hours ago

» Looking for friendly and open-minded girls

Nagi_Karman - 10 hours ago

3 by mo_lave »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.