Forum Settings
Forums

Criticisms about dubs that made you want to slap your forehead and go, "what the f*** are you talking about?!"

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Sep 26, 2012 9:03 PM

Nov 2007
The person must have it backwards for Black Lagoon? (just kidding, I like Megumi Toyoguchi as Revy too)
Oct 6, 2012 9:53 AM
Jan 2008
<<Anime is a distinct art form. Because it is an art form, any alteration to the original anime is an unacceptable compromise of artistic integrity.
Because dubbing into a different language compromises the artistic integrity of the anime, the only proper way to view anime is in the original unedited Japanese version with subtitles based on a literal English translation.>>

Here's what I have to say to this:

I don't consider Anime a form of "art", just a different form of entertainment. And art is always open to different interpretations. Furthermore, I'll bet that when, say, Disney dubs their own films in other countries, they have to make some changes too. It goes both ways.

Also, any alteration is totally unacceptable? I'm sorry, but that argument doesn't hold any water either. An undistorted, slavishly faithful subtitle script does not cut it when it comes to dubbing. Either way, changes have to be made; it cannot be helped. The reasons for mouth flap and/or natural flow, but also for some things that wouldn't translate very well to audiences alien to the culture.

Case in point: SPIRITED AWAY had Chihiro mention that the building in front of her was a bathhouse in the English version. That was because American audiences would not have understood that that was what it was. But because of that aforementioned argument, purists still objected.

Also, whether any such changes compromise the artist's "original" intention ultimately depends on the director. If Miyazaki thought the changes Disney made to his films were not complimentary, he wouldn't have allowed them to be changed. That he allowed the changes in the first place probably means that he's not so puritanical about his films. I have found absolutely no reason to hate any of the Ghibli dubs, especially since I'm aware of the back-and-forth process that happens behind the scenes.

Now if it was somebody like Steven Foster, I would definitely make the argument right there about changes such as his bordering on unacceptable. Case in point: in Orphen he basically did his own thing with the script, basically disrgarding the source material with nary a nod to the original. That is what I would call unacceptable. I don't know if he's still applying this practice or not, but hearing about Orphen does lend SLIGHT credibility to the argument.

But that's not to say I think that any changes to a script are altogether unacceptable if they mostly convey the same ideas. In Wings of Honneamise, there's a monologue from the military trainer early in the film when he's scolding Shiro. In the sub, his lines go something like this:

"Lots of free time, eh, Shiro? I didn’t realize your job here was to take naps! You know what this is? A one deem coin. It can buy you a loaf of bread or a bottle of oil. But they say a Khozel bandit would kill a man for one of these. So, if you think about it, it’s worth quite a lot. Overtime pay. Getting an advance should make you weep with joy! And now from you I want 300 push-ups. And after that, I want 500 sit-ups!"

And now the dub goes like this:

"And here he is, asleep again, sitting like a vat of basking fat, waiting for his dough to double in size! Suppose I’m the bandit in Khozel. Your life now equals nothing. But that’s familiar to you, right? And my gun’s in your face and your offer is one deem coin of overtime. Think, ya damn idiot! You’d be dead right now, and there’s your pay. Do you ever even think?! Five-hundred sit-ups. NOW!"

The abovementioned change does strike me as borderline rewrite, but at the same time it still features much of the same ideas and the intention is still the same, so even if the writing is not word-for-word, it at least keeps most of the original meaning intact. So changes like that are acceptable to me.

And here's another point:

"Dubs are simply a translation of the language."

If that was all that dubs were all about, then why would I be watching them? The person who said that was attacking Disney's dub of "Arrietty", stating that any changes that Disney made to those two were utterly unacceptable, never mind that Ghibli had to approve of them in the first place.
JTurnerOct 6, 2012 12:37 PM
Oct 8, 2012 10:49 AM

Dec 2009
It doesn't matter if you're watching dubs or subs--you're still getting a translated version. You're not getting the original unless you go take some Japanese courses at community college or something. The only inherent difference is that dubs have the restriction of having to time the mouth movements; therefore, sentences get rearranged out of necessity, but rarely does any meaning get lost. And when it does happen, that's the choice of the director and/or line producer--by no means is it inherent to all dubs.

I think art and entertainment are synonymous, personally. But the whole "unadulterated" argument ignores a huge point: Very rarely is the original manga author directly involved in the production of the anime. So, Japanese or English, you're getting an adaptation--there's just no way around that. You're just getting two versions of the same adaptation.

Also, I'm missing your point about Spirited Away. They called it a bath house in the Japanese version, and they called it a bath house in the English version; what were you trying to say, exactly? I do think that dubs should never make changes to the script for cultural reasons, myself--in most cases, when a production company has a global market in mind (as in, they think it may have potential outside of Japan), it's not hard to make most shows fairly "culture neutral." With the exception of extreme cases, like Azumanga Daioh--which is about day-to-day Japanese life, but those sorts of series tend to have fanbases composed almost entirely of people who have prior experience with anime anyhow.
Oct 10, 2012 5:59 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
Also, I'm missing your point about Spirited Away. They called it a bath house in the Japanese version, and they called it a bath house in the English version; what were you trying to say, exactly?

There was a scene in the beginning of the movie, just after Chihiro watches her parents make pigs out of themselves. She explores around the town and when she sees the bath house, she says "that's weird". And in the next shot where we see the building, she says "It's a bath house." This latter line was not in the original Japanese version. The reason why that line was added in was so that audiences wouldn't be so confused.

Since that movie was basically one of the more "culturally releveant", in terms of Japanese literature, small changes like that are understandable. But in films like "Castle in the Sky", "Kiki", and "Howl", which basically set in fantasy European countries, there's less of a cultural issue, so there's a bit of a looseness as to how the dialogue can flow. I do think they went a bit overboard in the script at places in "Castle in the Sky" (the last part of Sheeta's speech at the end of the film, for instance), but that's hardly a drawback and arguably a small price to pay for an otherwise superb dub.
Oct 11, 2012 12:41 PM

Dec 2009
Were there big Japanese signs on the building that read "bento" or "bath house?" If so, that would probably just be their way of translating sans the subtext (they were marketing the movie largely to children). If not... well, the line's not really out of place in either language.
Oct 16, 2012 2:52 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
Were there big Japanese signs on the building that read "bento" or "bath house?" If so, that would probably just be their way of translating sans the subtext (they were marketing the movie largely to children). If not... well, the line's not really out of place in either language.

Last I looked, there WAS a sign over the doorway that DID have the Japanese characters. So yes, it WAS their way of translating that. But hardcore fans basically ignored that argument and stated that the act was unforgivable. However, it was mostly because such "fans" were trying to look for an excuse to hate on Disney for acquiring the Ghibli titles, because at the time they believed Disney was intentionally trying to screw them. Of course the whole argument fell through because of evidence telling otherwise, but there still are a few out there who do stubbornly cling to it.
Aug 16, 2013 3:30 PM
Aug 2013
"japanes to english translations are not good in english dub" the most common arguement. Doesnt make sense at all because the subtitles that they're reading are also the product of the same translation, which mean that the whatever subs that they're reading are the same ones that are being used in the english dubs.
Aug 16, 2013 3:55 PM

Dec 2009
Well. Not necessarily. When dubbing, writers have to take into account fluidity and syllable count, which means words have to be shuffled around and speech paraphrased. The meaning rarely changes, though, and when it does, it's intentional--like 4Kids.
Aug 16, 2013 4:00 PM

Aug 2012
Khooni said:
"japanes to english translations are not good in english dub" the most common arguement. Doesnt make sense at all because the subtitles that they're reading are also the product of the same translation, which mean that the whatever subs that they're reading are the same ones that are being used in the english dubs.
That kind of criticism is more nitpicky on trivialities than anything else, really. Dub or sub, people are still essentially watching the same show, with the same characters, story, and setting, just with different voices.

The translation criticism shouldn't really matter unless the localization is really screwed up. For me, either extreme of the literal-liberal continuum is bad for a dub, because in either case, the dub ceases to be a faithful adaptation and becomes either a mere lazy copy (which also may or may not be referred to as too "weeaboo" by some people, e.g. Sentai Filmworks) or an entirely new show (e.g. 4kids trying to "kiddify" their anime such as One Piece).
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Sep 7, 2014 1:05 PM

May 2014
I don't remeber what the argument was like, but it could be summarized like this:
"I hate dubs because pressing a couple of buttons to change the language is too much for me"
Sep 7, 2014 1:46 PM

Dec 2009
Markrye said:
I don't remeber what the argument was like, but it could be summarized like this:
"I hate dubs because pressing a couple of buttons to change the language is too much for me"

In what case would someone have to do that?

DVD's - Usually English by default if they're dual audio
Netflix/Hulu - Usually English by default if they're dual audio
Downloads - About half and half, default English or Japanese among dual audio files
Streams - Either dubbed or subbed single streams, almost never dual audio

No matter how you slice it, you encounter dubs by default a lot more often, and have to go out of your way to switch to Japanese with subtitles.
Sep 13, 2014 11:01 AM

May 2014
One thing I have never understood ..is if people hate dubz ya the hell do they watch them....I mean most if not all DVD releases also come with the original japanese voice as will as the dub...so ya watch it if up hate it ...
Another thing is a lot of people complain the dub is censored ....a lot of fan subs have profanity that the series daz not have I mean ..a pg 13 anime would have profanity in the sub but when the dub daz not put any they complain ...its not supose'do to have .... EG Naruto and Fairy Tail dude really there were so many complains about naruto censorship that they had to re dub it and put out the uncutdub ....W.T'F its a pg 13 show if u could understand japanese up would not here profanity but no ....they still complain for some unknown reason that never makes sense...
Sep 13, 2014 12:15 PM

Dec 2009
The "dubs are edited" argument is outdated because most dubs aren't edited. At least not the commercial versions. A lot of them, such as Naruto, still receive TV edits which are absent on the DVD releases. That said, I do agree with the sentiment that making edits/censoring on a DVD release is an atrocious crime against the art of anime.

The Japanese language is different from our own in that there aren't really any designated "curse" words. There's not really any such thing as "profanity" in the American sense of the word in the Japanese language, so the translation is pretty open to how the translators want to interpret the exclamations. And with THAT said, it's not just language that was edited in Naruto (and other similar TV edits). Scenes were cut, episodes skipped, and visual edits made so that the show was less violent, etc. They do go all out.
Sep 15, 2014 3:24 PM

Oct 2013
One of the worst things I've read lately is people complaining about SUPERIOR changes in dub dialogue. I was watching Steins;Gate recently and one member posted a side-by-side comparison of the dub dialogue to the sub dialogue while making the point that "this is why I always watch the series dubbed." Then someone who replied to him couldn't even deny that the dubbed dialogue was FAR more witty but just said he hates that dubs aren't 100% completely accurate to the source, even though the same point was being made. Wtf?

Like, seriously, what the fuck?

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 15, 2014 3:36 PM

Dec 2009
I guess I can understand that. I'm kind of on the fence about that myself. I have a hard time deciding whether I support the decision to change dialogue, even if it's an improvement.

(That said, I'll watch it either way)
Sep 19, 2014 10:43 PM

Mar 2012
The thing about the people who adamantly despise dubs is that very, very few of them (If any at all) are speaking from experience. It's always some arbitrary decision based on what some guy on the Internet said or a 30 second clip from a bad 4kids dub.
Sep 20, 2014 6:18 AM

Dec 2009
SeibaaHomu said:
The thing about the people who adamantly despise dubs is that very, very few of them (If any at all) are speaking from experience. It's always some arbitrary decision based on what some guy on the Internet said or a 30 second clip from a bad 4kids dub.

This right here just about sums up the whole of the situation.
Nov 9, 2014 11:22 AM
Jun 2014
One time, someone on the chat room I go to said, "Even if someone made a bad Japanese dub, I probably wouldn't know anyways."

.....Yeah.
Nov 9, 2014 11:30 AM
Jun 2014
Zadion said:
One of the worst things I've read lately is people complaining about SUPERIOR changes in dub dialogue. I was watching Steins;Gate recently and one member posted a side-by-side comparison of the dub dialogue to the sub dialogue while making the point that "this is why I always watch the series dubbed." Then someone who replied to him couldn't even deny that the dubbed dialogue was FAR more witty but just said he hates that dubs aren't 100% completely accurate to the source, even though the same point was being made. Wtf?

Like, seriously, what the fuck?

I met someone who said he would rather have incorrect translations or ones that don't make sense rather than a dub, because it feels far more "authentic" with Japanese voices and that English voice acting talent for dubbing is "god awful"...

The lack of logic from these people is mind boggling.

I swear it's so hard to be a dub fan these days :(
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.