Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 31, 2010 12:08 AM

Oct 2008
The new thread for EP8, Twilight of the Golden Witch.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 31, 2010 4:34 AM

Aug 2007
re: purple text - THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS. ;_;
Dec 31, 2010 4:44 AM

Oct 2008
Dec 31, 2010 7:16 AM

Oct 2008

Let's go, partner Ange.
I don't like the whole "partner" thing, just call me Ange.

Well then, you may call me Your Highness Erika.
... Fine, let's go, partner Erika.
Dec 31, 2010 9:29 AM

Jul 2008
YES! Erika is back!
Dec 31, 2010 11:25 AM

Sep 2010
The ???? ending has made me furious.
God...I'm disappointed.
Dec 31, 2010 11:54 AM

Oct 2008
Apparently the Japanese are raging aswell.
Dec 31, 2010 2:27 PM

Jul 2008
dioptase said:

Does the ending suck?
Dec 31, 2010 3:41 PM

Oct 2008
GarLogan78 said:

Does the ending suck?

From what I've read so far; they don't really like it.
Dec 31, 2010 5:16 PM

Sep 2010
It doesn't necessarily suck.
It just happens to be unsatisfying to many.

Has Ryukishi lost it? Any person who's sane would realize pulling off something like this would infuriate fans who have been following your work for years. He has worldwide fans, and he knows. It really saddens me that he'd just go and pull something like this.
Dec 31, 2010 5:18 PM

Nov 2009
dioptase said:

You know it's serious when even the Japanese fandom are angry as well.

From the spoilers this episode is both confusing and mindscrewy and not in the same way as EP7.
Dec 31, 2010 5:21 PM

Jun 2008
Maybe we'll find out more in Umineko Rei. Because I don't think it's completely over yet.
Jan 1, 2011 1:26 AM

Oct 2008
It was supposed to be bittersweet, well it's wayyy more bitter than sweet.
This said, the very ending is beautiful:
Jan 1, 2011 3:54 AM

Jul 2008
I heard there were two endings, magic or trick.

I also heard that

Jan 1, 2011 4:37 AM

Oct 2008
Yup, there's 2 different ends.
Trick

Magic

GarLogan78 said:

I also heard that

dioptaseJan 13, 2011 1:58 PM
Jan 1, 2011 3:38 PM

Jul 2008
dioptase said:

But I still don't even know what I am talking about, I haven't played the game lol.
Jan 2, 2011 3:31 AM

Aug 2009
So I was browsing an Ougon thread on /jp/ and someone randomly wrote EP8 spoilers, fucking asshole.
Is it true that
Jan 2, 2011 3:45 AM

Jul 2008
STM said:
So I was browsing an Ougon thread on /jp/ and someone randomly wrote EP8 spoilers, fucking asshole.
Is it true that

I heard that

Jan 2, 2011 3:54 AM

Aug 2009
I'm not going to read that, 'cause I want to refrain from spoiling myself even more. Only thing I read when opening the spoiler for 1 second was
So I guess that means he

Ryuuukiiishiiiii!

Oh well, I'm looking forward to his next work. It's confirmed anyway, so maybe we'll get a When They Cry 5 at Comiket 81.
Jan 2, 2011 3:55 AM

Jul 2008
STM said:

Oh well, I'm looking forward to his next work. It's confirmed anyway, so maybe we'll get a When They Cry 5 at Comiket 81.

What exactly was confirmed? That he is going to release a new work at the next comiket?
Jan 2, 2011 3:57 AM

Aug 2009
Umineko Rei is confirmed and he also said he's working on his next "work".
I assume that's When They Cry 5.

I'll try to find the source. I found it yesterday, it was written on his blog.

EDIT: I found it.
http://07th-expansion.net/Cgi/clip/clip.cgi

It says his head is itching cause of all the things he wants to write, like Umineko Rei and other new works.

Ryukishi07 said:
『うみねこ』の「礼」も描きたいし、次の新しい作品も描きたいし。
Samu-tanJan 2, 2011 4:02 AM
Jan 2, 2011 4:00 AM

Jul 2008
STM said:
Umineko Rei is confirmed and he also said he's working on his next "work".
I assume that's When They Cry 5.

I'll try to find the source. I found it yesterday, it was written on his blog.

Thanks for the info, I can't wait XD.

I can't even imagine what he would do for a When They Cry 5 though. (I also doubt anyone would translate it. I am not sure if Witch Hunt would take the time to work on something that wasn't Umineko.)
Jan 2, 2011 1:36 PM

Mar 2009
I agree with that, after all witch hunt is about umineko and the amount of time used to translate R07 visual novels is way too much >.<
Really, I need to learn japanese :<
HanekomaJan 11, 2011 4:30 PM
Jan 3, 2011 4:22 AM

Oct 2008
I should just calm down.... writting when you're pissed off isn't good.
dioptaseJan 3, 2011 1:01 PM
Jan 3, 2011 5:15 AM

Nov 2009
So basically Rei is Umineko's last hope for a closure and a chance to fix what ever he fucked up in EP8?

Meh i'm not crossing fingers i've pretty much lost alot of my faith with Ryukishi..
Jan 3, 2011 1:28 PM

Oct 2008
littlegal100 said:
So basically Rei is Umineko's last hope for a closure and a chance to fix what ever he fucked up in EP8?

Meh i'm not crossing fingers i've pretty much lost alot of my faith with Ryukishi..

I don't think Ryu will give us crystal clear answers. But I WANT TO BELIEVE.
Jan 3, 2011 2:17 PM

Jul 2008
I keep hearing people say on other forums "the answers are all there if you think yourself" or something like that. But I don't want to be left with my random theories. I want to know what happened and if I am right or wrong.
Jan 3, 2011 9:45 PM

Jul 2008
GarLogan78 said:
I keep hearing people say on other forums "the answers are all there if you think yourself" or something like that. But I don't want to be left with my random theories. I want to know what happened and if I am right or wrong.

What he said.
Jan 16, 2011 1:54 AM

Oct 2008
Reading again EP8, slowly and in-depth; it's not really as bad as I initially felt... I'd say it's an "okay" episode, even if I would have loved to have more backstories infos and closure for several points.
The whole Metaworld stuff with Ange (plus the fiction inside fiction) is a nice mindscrew.
Jan 16, 2011 12:16 PM

Jul 2008
dioptase said:
Reading again EP8, slowly and in-depth; it's not really as bad as I initially felt... I'd say it's an "okay" episode, even if I would have loved to have more backstories infos and closure for several points.
The whole Metaworld stuff with Ange (plus the fiction inside fiction) is a nice mindscrew.

I have heard the the episode has some really epic moments in it. So I am expecting an entertaining read, even if everything I want isn't there.
Jan 16, 2011 12:35 PM

Oct 2008
GarLogan78 said:

I have heard the the episode has some really epic moments in it. So I am expecting an entertaining read, even if everything I want isn't there.

The magic battles were pretty awesome indeed.
Feb 22, 2011 7:05 AM

Oct 2008
And the end is quite depressing.
Feb 22, 2011 11:13 PM

Jun 2010
Holy god, all these spoilers... Well, I'll wait until the last moment, I want to believe. But Bern said in red that happy endings are not allowed, so what were we waiting? Uu, I just want a Battler/Beato or Battler/Yasu ending and I'll live happily ever after :( (it's the same thing I know x'DD but you know what I mean... Metaworld ending or Human ending :()

I heard that there are 4 endings, not 2 o.o, anyway D: I'm just kinda drepressed .-.
Feb 23, 2011 3:08 AM

Oct 2008
Laurine_Andersen said:

I heard that there are 4 endings, not 2 o.o, anyway D: I'm just kinda drepressed .-.

Nope, EP8 has 2 endings: "trick" or "magic". Only the “magic” ending leads to the tea parties.
Mar 21, 2011 3:00 AM

Oct 2008
EP8 contains 16 mini games, answering correctly unlocks extra scenes.
For those who are too lazy to solve them, the answers are:
Mar 30, 2011 6:44 PM

Dec 2009
dioptase said:
And the end is quite depressing.

Apr 2, 2011 4:23 AM

Oct 2008
That's your opinion and I respect it, as for myself I found both endings really bittersweet, with a huge emphasis on bitter.
Ange found her brother, crippled and half amnesiac. Everyone else died. There's the meta-world yeah, well except it's probably the most ambiguous thing left hanging in Umineko. Maybe it exist or maybe it's just Battler / Ange being delusionals ; after all insanity runs deeply in the Ushiromiya family.
Apr 4, 2011 5:10 PM

Dec 2009
Haha, very true, they're quite the lot of nutters aren't they? And I agree it was very much a bummer, what happened to Battler, and that no one else survived outside of the metaworld. I think bittersweet is the right word, but with a few pearls hidden here and there. The trick ending, though, seemed appropriate to take place on a boat, reminded me of School Days. No "Sweet" to it, lol.

I don't think the delusion idea is probable, because of the events outside of the story, the Tea Party, TIPS, and ?????. Or maybe I'M delusional, because I am very happy for the link between reality and the books; it sheds a bit of light on the events in Hinamizawa, considering all the references to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni as a book or game within Umineko.

There WERE a lot of questions left hanging, but that just means everyone gets to keep brainstorming until someone steals Ryukishi's notes and divulges their contents.

EDIT: I often consult Plato's Theory of Forms to get my head around the metaworld, if that helps explain my position of tasting a little extra sweetness.
InnactiveaccountApr 6, 2011 7:53 PM
Jun 17, 2011 10:10 AM

Aug 2010
Agree with mattmax guy.
It's not that Battler and Ange are insane, that's why it's called MAGIC ending, Ihihi~ If you choose that ending, ya have to accept Meta World as the real thing.
Jan 2, 2012 6:56 PM
Jan 2011
Remind me the end of Titanic and Lament of the lamb.
And Yasu is boy or girl, 'cause doujinshi Battler x Beato, well I fine with both, it's just curiuos.
Jan 3, 2012 8:18 AM

Jul 2008
Shiyumi said:
And Yasu is boy or girl, 'cause doujinshi Battler x Beato, well I fine with both, it's just curiuos.

If I remember correctly at the end of EP7 there were some quite random quick flashes of random facts, one was that the baby that fell down from the cliff (that turned out to be Yasu/Sh/Kanon/Beato) got a serious injury at his/her reproductive organs. So after the fall s/he is now neither. Although I'm guessing she was a girl originally, or at least she considers herself a girl most of the time. (Remeber Yasu was first Shanon and Beato, and became Kanon later on. Not to mention the cousins noticed how Shanon was - how do I say this - well developed quite early.)

Now... about Ange and Battler being delusional... If you consider their "delusions" only delusions, then the there is a problem. How come they had the same delusions? I'm not talking about the general ideas, characters of the meta world, Battler got them from Beato and Ange got them from Maria's diary. But how they interacted with each other in the Meta World? Or we should consider every meta part where Ange was present is only Ange's delusion? That could work, but Ange met Thoya/Auau in her "travels". How could she have knowledge about how she looks, speaks? It is a convoluted mess, that can only be waved away by saying that it was indeed magic. Which sort of makes Battler's initial struggles semi-pointless.

And one other thing that I realized after reading the magic end. So Ange "awakens" on top of the skyscraper, right before she supposedly jumped. She then talks to the men in black, that she wants to talk to their boss, Okonogi. If she knew that she was being chased by the men of Okonogi, why did she visit him in her umm... "alternate path" in ep4? (As her meeting with Okonogi was after her successful jump, as you might remember.)

Now that I think about it... yeah... every problem that I have with the series is related to Ange who lives in 1998. I hated her chapters in ep4, since at that time I thought they were just useless padding, that did not move the plot forward. (And it even felt weird, considering the fact that she seemed to come from the 1998 of ep3's kakera only, as Eva was dead in every other episodes at that time.) It was also weird for me when she returned in ep5 and ep6 after she was disintegrated in to a piece of bloody meat, because she broke the rules. Not to mention her interactions with the meta-meta-witch, that is Auau. Then when she was briefly out of the picture again in ep7 I felt that the series is back on track, we finally got some answers to what the meta-characters are, who was the Beato that Kinzo knew, what is the solution for the epitaph's riddle and who was most definitely a culprit. And then instead of filling some remaining plot-holes in and maybe giving some non-abstract answers for some of the closed-rooms of the first 4 episodes (I know that there were hints to how to solved them!), we return to Ange. =_="
Jan 3, 2012 6:57 PM
Jan 2011
You can use Sword Art Online:Vol.4 Ch.9(and Titanic endin) as an example to interpret the final scene. Simply speaking, "Battler" come home(the replica room=Ushiromiya mansion) and die(reach Golden Land).
About the golden rose, the red truth Ikoku used, who is she and why she not aged and nobody seem surprise about it, Aurora is godlike being so don't ask how she did it.
Someone say that the magic ending is Battler and Ange delusion, he must also think the whole movie making arc is Kyon's hallucination(watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya if you don'i know).
Yasu said she committed sins in countless worlds and kill herself. She like Rika, was a traveler in Sea of Fragment, these worlds she and Battler was in is real, and they came back the original at the end of the journey, that why Yasu,Battler,Ange had memories of everything that happen and there are two outcome depend on Ange's choices. If you don't believe in magic then Higurashi must be some crazy child fantasy.
Jan 4, 2012 12:56 AM

Jul 2008
I've seriously considered not answering you... but here I am, yet again. Arguing on the Internet. My problem is not with the fact that magic exists in any speculative fiction, but how at first it did not really exist in Umineko. IMHO in the first few chapters it was shown that magic is something that does not interact with the real world. The fact that there is a meta-world did not bother me, it made the story awesome. But it was constantly shown, that from the meta-world could you could see several alternate "real" worlds (AKA kakeras or gameboards), but those worlds are always bound by the rules of physics. You can't walk through doors, you can't be in two different places in the same time and there are no godlike beings. Yes, there were scenes that served the purpose of either hiding some obvious facts from Battler (and the reader), or showing an allegory of what is really happening, but they could always be "explained away" as not real. This was the rule of the Game: No magic is real. If magic existed on the gameboard, then the mystery side could never win the Game.
Jan 4, 2012 6:20 PM
Jan 2011
Only on the gameboard, and what make you think for sure that is the real word. It's more like a Close Space with perfect replica of all characters.
ShiyumiJan 4, 2012 6:23 PM
Feb 8, 2012 6:17 PM

Feb 2011
I hope Higanbana is okay. The ending for this was just bad.
Apr 4, 2012 1:22 PM

Mar 2009
Am I just totally blind? I didn't get to the whole battler x shannon double suicide in 8. Where in the game is it?
Apr 18, 2012 8:00 AM

Jul 2008
ayapi said:
Am I just totally blind? I didn't get to the whole battler x shannon double suicide in 8. Where in the game is it?

If you mean the scene with the boat, then there it was Battler × "Beato", but yeah, the scene was shown after one chooses the magic end if I remember correctly. Beato falls/jumps in the sea while Battler was not looking, but he jumps after her. So it is sort of a double suicide attempt. After their apparent death, we have one of the credit rolls.
Apr 29, 2012 12:44 PM

Feb 2011
Honestly, I loved it all. I don't think you have to understand something to appreciate it. It's... humbling.
Umineko is partially mystery and partially fantasy. To really appreciate it, you have to understand that there are some things you'll understand and some you won't.
But isn't that the beauty of fantasy? It can't be explained.

I took most of Umineko on a symbolic level. When Battler jumped into the water, it was simply a part of himself that he was shedding. Perhaps the events of Rokkenjima traumatized him so much that he created split identities? And drowning himself was symbolic of how he buried his true personality and created another to cope? This other personality was forced inside his psyche into his subconsciousness, or "oblivion," but fought to escape and retake its body. I could go on on that, but it makes the most sense to me...
And even if I didn't have a theory, I'd be okay with it. Umineko gave me some great ideas for my own writing.
If you lived in your computer, you'd be home already.
Jun 15, 2012 3:37 PM

Jun 2009
dioptase said:

Where are you getting this? According to my reading

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jul 19, 2012 8:51 PM

Apr 2010
AidanAK47 said:
Where are you getting this? According to my reading

Also, magic does not exist on the gameboard, but because of certain factors in the story, it's arguable if it exists outside of the gameboard.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Your favorite character^^ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsumu - Jul 21, 2009

253 by LeonhartAugust »»
Jun 4, 2021 11:18 AM

» Favorite Couples

GamzeeMakara - Aug 28, 2010

43 by Suzuka »»
May 23, 2018 12:10 PM

» Least favorite characters ( 1 2 3 )

z-pak - Aug 21, 2009

132 by Suzuka »»
May 14, 2018 2:44 PM

» Shkanontrice confirmed?? *spoiler

Razuhiko - Apr 26, 2014

1 by Alencia »»
Apr 29, 2014 6:18 AM

» Umineko Motion Graphics

Niacinamide - Dec 18, 2007

29 by Krunchy »»
Feb 15, 2014 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.