Forum Settings
Forums

Second Season of Panty & Stocking Is Up To the Director

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 28, 2010 12:28 PM

May 2008
Detective said:
>rumor thread based off of a last episode gag and a secret track on a soundtrack

Just wow.

Putting the words 'second season' at the end of a first season is not a gag.

Also, A2ZOMG, what is it with the 'lol people actually like this? they must be being silly'? Plus you're saying the show will be overrated and people will give it 'silly ratings' based on.. the logic that you thought the show was low quality. Right.
Dec 28, 2010 12:32 PM
Nov 2009
AntiSpiral said:
Nachotee said:

And why you ask? Because it's trash.

I'm sorry, what? Just because you don't enjoy something it doesn't mean nobody should make more of it. That is utterly pathetic. Are you honestly telling me that nothing should be made if it isn't your personal interests? The world does not revolve around you. Remember that. At what point do you think 'Oh I don't enjoy something, it shouldn't be made' and consider that normal? Beyond that, any further seasons of this will hardly hinder the making of any sequels to 'good anime' (by which I presume you mean 'anime I like'). The industry does not weigh what should and shouldn't be made on your personal tastes.

Whether you think this show is 'trash' or not has no bearing on whether more should be made, and if you think that it shouldn't continue just because you don't enjoy it, you are a self-entitled child.

And there is nothing making you watch it. I mean I skipped it just because for me I didn't have the time and there were far better shows in my opinion. And even so just because something may or may not have any or just a few redeeming qualities doesn't mean that we should take it away from its fans.
Dec 28, 2010 12:48 PM

Aug 2009
P&S was in REALLY BAD taste but I enjoyed it thouroughly.
The art style reminded me of the cartoons I used to watch as a kid and the content reminded me of the risqué, distasteful stuff that used to be aired late on MTV here in the UK
Everytime someone simply whinges about the art style, I want to do a humongous facepalm. But I wont, or I'd have a very red face :3

I'd love a second season.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Dec 28, 2010 1:17 PM

Jul 2009
AntiSpiral said:
Detective said:
>rumor thread based off of a last episode gag and a secret track on a soundtrack

Just wow.

Putting the words 'second season' at the end of a first season is not a gag.

The entire last episode was just a bad joke. How are you taking that seriously?
Dec 28, 2010 1:20 PM

Sep 2009
Bring it on! 8D
Dec 28, 2010 1:22 PM

Nov 2007
ahhh now there just hardcore trolling

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Dec 28, 2010 1:24 PM

Nov 2010
i'd watch it, and i find it very lulz-y that it's even on the table despite Ishihara XD
Dec 28, 2010 1:28 PM

Nov 2008
If there will be a second season they'll need to top all the crazy crap they pulled in season 1. That won't be an easy feat. D:

Or they could play everything super-seriously. Tee hee.
Dec 28, 2010 1:37 PM

Mar 2008
I'm sure there are 10-20 series far better than this that deserved another season over this garbage.

My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Dec 28, 2010 1:39 PM

Mar 2008
BOOOO! There are 10-20 maybe more series that were far better that got cut off way before their prime, yet this trash continues to thrive.

Only one thing to say to this:

My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Dec 28, 2010 1:48 PM

Aug 2007
Dec 28, 2010 1:57 PM

Dec 2007
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is a show that you either love or you hate; there's not really much of an in between. It's human nature, however, that if we don't like something we don't do (watch) it. As such, I'm inclined to believe that 90% (not all, I realize this) of the people stating their distaste for the idea of a second season haven't seen it from beginning to end. As such, their opinion is void from the start.

If you didn't watch something from beginning to end, you have no right to think your opinion of the show can be taken seriously. By that coin, if you didn't watch it from beginning to end, why the fuck do you even care if it gets a second season? You're obviously not gonna watch it anyway, so take your QQ'ing elsewhere.

Now, me personally? I enjoyed this hell out of this show, and the mere possibility of a second season (especially after a typical Gainax cliffhanger) makes me really excited and I can't wait for more news to be released.
Dec 28, 2010 2:07 PM

Dec 2007
I'll dumb-down what I said since apparently a mod decided to go on a deleting spree:

Am I excited for a second season possibility? Yes.
Are you? No? That's too bad.
Dec 28, 2010 2:11 PM

Dec 2007
Ignore the double, and now triple posts; the forum's coding is just so spectacular.
Dec 28, 2010 2:17 PM

May 2008
ShadowAlex said:
BOOOO! There are 10-20 maybe more series that were far better that got cut off way before their prime, yet this trash continues to thrive.

Continues to thrive? P&S has had ONE season thus far, and to be honest, there isn't much similar to it in terms animation and art style and quality as well as outright lowbrow humour (lowbrow humour being a good thing if you enjoy that, which I and many people do).

Regardless of that, what does it matter if some show you think deserves a second season more? Nobody is denying your favourite shows a second season just because this is having one. Stop complaining just because people aren't making things to appeal to you personally.

Jesus, if you don't like P&S, or if you don't like ANYTHING, don't watch it and don't talk about it. Simple as. Just because you think something is 'trash' (which in itself is an INCREDIBLY elitist thing to say) doesn't mean nobody should be allowed to enjoy it.

I don't enjoy heavy metal, man. But I know a lot of people who do. I don't go up to them and say 'Ugh, how can they still make that crap? It's trash.'. Because that's childish and idiotic. I let them enjoy what they enjoy, and I get on with enjoying whatever music I enjoy, rather than wasting both mine, and their, time complaining about something I have the choice to not listen to.
Dec 28, 2010 2:22 PM

Jan 2009
PANTY & STOCKING!!! PANTY & STOCKING!!! WE WANT MORE!!! WE WANT MORE!!!
Dec 28, 2010 2:33 PM

Aug 2010
I'm definitely for a second season!
よ!僕はジェフです。エンジニアです。日本語が下手です。もっと勉強しなきゃいけない!
Dec 28, 2010 4:09 PM

Aug 2009
lobkestar said:
Dropped

me too. I mean the first episode had a toilet monster or something. C'mon man..
Dec 28, 2010 4:13 PM

Feb 2010
Mitsukai, I watched the entire first season of Panty and Stockings. (Besides the last episode, but I have it DL-ed and plan to suffer through it later). I did not like it at all, and according to your logic, since I suffered through the show, and STLL didn't like it my opinion of the show at least holds some worth compared to someone that dropped it at episode one since they didn't like it (I really wanted to like this show, I really did, I just wasn't able to). I do not want a second season AT ALL.The reason I care that there is going to be a second season is because that means Gainex will be using their resources to produce this show again rather than something I might actually enjoy.

With that Said:
Panty And Stockings Season II: DO NOT WANT
GodComplexedDec 28, 2010 4:18 PM
Dec 28, 2010 4:28 PM
Oct 2007
Detective said:
The entire last episode was just a bad joke. How are you taking that seriously?

Because Gainax already said that the ending was indeed supposed to set-up a second season and that as long as Kadokawa gives them the OK they're going forward with it.

http://community.livejournal.com/paswg/30931.html?style=mine
Dec 28, 2010 4:39 PM
Mar 2010
You know what? I actually liked the last episode... Gainax's trolling is fun
Dec 28, 2010 4:51 PM

Sep 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if they are trolling us into believing there will be a second season even if they are not then I'm all for another 13 episodes.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 28, 2010 5:30 PM

Nov 2008
DaveBrickheart said:
AntiSpiral said:
Nachotee said:

I'm sorry, what? Just because you don't enjoy something it doesn't mean nobody should make more of it. That is utterly pathetic. Are you honestly telling me that nothing should be made if it isn't your personal interests? The world does not revolve around you. Remember that. At what point do you think 'Oh I don't enjoy something, it shouldn't be made' and consider that normal? Beyond that, any further seasons of this will hardly hinder the making of any sequels to 'good anime' (by which I presume you mean 'anime I like'). The industry does not weigh what should and shouldn't be made on your personal tastes.

Whether you think this show is 'trash' or not has no bearing on whether more should be made, and if you think that it shouldn't continue just because you don't enjoy it, you are a self-entitled child.

And there is nothing making you watch it. I mean I skipped it just because for me I didn't have the time and there were far better shows in my opinion. And even so just because something may or may not have any or just a few redeeming qualities doesn't mean that we should take it away from its fans.

I strongly agree; I (personally) enjoyed it because it was different, I watched ep. 1-13 (the whole first season for those who do not know). I still found it to be of vulger humor, but that is what I (personally) thought made it stand out . There was nothing forcing me to watch it, it was out of my own free will. You either liked it or you didn't, that is your own personal opinion. It's not about ones personal tastes, its about business; no one said there was a guarantee or promise for a second season prominent, it will either be done or it won't. If fans want a second season, let them have it. End of story.
Zakuro Fujiwara's ABSOLUTE #1 FAN (DIBS X INFINITY X THE EARTH X THE UNIVERSE X THE GALAXY X SOLAR SYSTEM X HELL X SATAN X ANTICHRIST X HEAVEN X JESUS X GOD X CHUCK NORRIS, I WIN, SO BLEH!:-p)!!!
Dec 28, 2010 5:34 PM
Jul 2008
AntiSpiral said:
Nachotee said:

U mad?

I was really tempted to leave my response as just that. I'd love to see you even madder, though, I'll take the chance to explain a bit further.
First of all, I'll just ignore everything you said. Why? I did enjoy this, does it change the fact is extremely overrated? (I'll avoid using "trash", in order to have a more fruitful conversation) Nope, it doesn't. Why again? Well it is extremely hard to be objective in this matter, and often it's not even very helpful, but I'll start that way.
Now, first of all animation: By animation, I mean how well does it manage to look how it's supposed to look, how well scenes flow, etc. Gainax always takes things pretty seriously, so in this section it manages to do a very good job.
Art: By art I mean, character and background design. This is harder cause whether you like it or not, is more subjective. However, the style this anime uses, is quite atypical for an anime. Still, the anime itself is atypical, so it does kinda fit. I personally don't liek it, but I'll keep it as neutral.
Story: Wait, what story? We have an introduction, that could very well be ignored, and then pretty random things happen. The lack of an interesting or original plot is not completely bad, specially since it's common in the commedy genre. You only need to set a backstory and you can work on it then. Still, this can only be ignored is the commedy is any good, now, is it?
Comedy: Now here's the hardest part. Because whether a certain type of commedy is good or not, is very subjective. However I'll try to be fair: I think, if you're not too fussy, you'll be entertained, now laugh? That's a bit harder. I myself don't think insults and lame sex jokes are funny at all. the jokes are all pretty much the same, and worse than that, they feel kinda forced, they just crossed the line between funny and awkward.
The references are interesting, but not enough to make up for the lack of a real plot or comedy.
The OST is indeed pretty awesome for the most part. (Although that ending sounds way too generic, but that's just personal preference)

It's not hard at all to see why people's opinion is so split up between hate and love for this show: It happens with all of Gainax' shows: They are always incredible hyped, because of the nature of this show, hardcore gainax fans (and God Only Knows there are a lot of these) love it anyways; others, don't like it, and they get angry because of the overrating caused by Gainax fans, which ends in hate.

And of course, airing time is limited, so all new series are taking the place another anime could take, that should be obvious.

Anyway, this came out quite long, I doubt anyone will read it, but since I already wrote it. *click*
Dec 28, 2010 5:57 PM

May 2008
Nachotee said:
Everything you just said.

You seem to have missed my point. The point here is that you're saying they shouldn't bother making it just because you don't enjoy it. WHY you don't enjoy it, why you don't like it, is completely unimportant. The problem with what you originally said was that you said it shouldn't be made just because you don't enjoy it.

You need to realise how self-entitled that makes you sound. Not everything in the world will appeal to you, learn to deal with that. If you don't want to watch anymore P&S, here's the magical trick, whether they make more of it or not - DON'T WATCH IT.

Also, unrelated, but worth mentioning - the fact people even complain about something being 'overrated' is ridiculous. Does it happen? YES. Does it have anything to do with the actual quality of a work? Absolutely not.

GodComplexed said:
he reason I care that there is going to be a second season is because that means Gainex will be using their resources to produce this show again rather than something I might actually enjoy.

So, essentially "I don't enjoy it, it shouldn't be made. Any work is worthless and has no right to exist if I do not enjoy it."?

Right... No. That isn't how artistic/expressive entertainment mediums work.
Dec 28, 2010 6:03 PM

Feb 2008
Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt is such a brilliant anime, much because of how well Gainax kept trolling us throughout the season. The ultimate thing they can do now is promise a second season and never give it to us. Think about it: would you put it past Gainax, the studio that brought us Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?

That isn't to say I wouldn't orgasm all over myself when they do come out with a second season.
— The Geek With Taste
Dec 28, 2010 6:23 PM
Jul 2008
AntiSpiral said:
You seem to have missed my point. The point here is that you're saying they shouldn't bother making it just because you don't enjoy it. WHY you don't enjoy it, why you don't like it, is completely unimportant. The problem with what you originally said was that you said it shouldn't be made just because you don't enjoy it.

You need to realise how self-entitled that makes you sound. Not everything in the world will appeal to you, learn to deal with that. If you don't want to watch anymore P&S, here's the magical trick, whether they make more of it or not - DON'T WATCH IT.

Also, unrelated, but worth mentioning - the fact people even complain about something being 'overrated' is ridiculous. Does it happen? YES. Does it have anything to do with the actual quality of a work? Absolutely not.

Did you even read my post?
Dec 28, 2010 6:51 PM

May 2008
Nachotee said:

I did, and you missed the point I was making. Most of what you said was about what you think of it, your opinions on aspects of it etc. Which as I said, has nothing to do with what I was saying. It doesn't matter what you think of the work - nobody ever has the right to say 'this work shouldn't exist or no further works in this series should be made' for any reason.

Pretty much the only thing you said that had any relevance to whether it should be made or not is it 'taking up airtime', which might I add, for P&S, is ridiculous. It aired at 3am in Japan. Most of the big stuff airs on Saturday mornings (TTGL) or prime time (Gundam, Geass, yadda yadda). Anything taking up a 3am timeslot is generally going to be a fairly self-interest project (for the studio) like P&S is, which could just about ANYTHING the studio is interested in making. Besides, it's not like ONE 30 minute timeslot being taken is going to stop another series being made. They don't just stop production of a series because another series is taking up the timeslot they wanted, they find another god damn time slot.
Dec 28, 2010 6:52 PM

Feb 2008
Nachotee said:

You tried presenting a logical argument for why you didn't enjoy PSG and why it shouldn't have a second season. However, you only seemed to fulfill the first part of that argument.

You bring up three points on the topic: the art, the story, and the comedy. On the first, you claim neutrality (the likability of the animation is really subjective); on the second, you criticize the lack of plot, but forgive it because it's a comedy; on the third, you state your opinion of the comedy, but you then agree that it is also subjective.

So, basically, you remain neutral on all accounts, and then go further to say you enjoyed the OST. Moreover, you cite that most Gainax shows end up splitting the audience into those who love and hate the show. This alone brings to moot any argument you might have against Gainax creating a second season.

In the end, all you end up doing is claiming why you don't like the show, but not why you think a second season shouldn't be made, and then you say it doesn't matter. Nice rotation you have going there.
Sachi_13Dec 28, 2010 7:04 PM
— The Geek With Taste
Dec 28, 2010 6:52 PM
Jun 2008
DO IT!!!

really a season 2 is really the best (bleeping) answer ever yea DO IT for a season 2 of panty stocking
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Dec 28, 2010 7:07 PM

Jan 2008
Wait, they were being somewhat serious about a second season? I thought that was part of the troll. Possibly still is, for that matter.

If they have enough material and ideas to keep it where it's at, I'm all up for it. Sure it had it's bad points, but most things do. Either way, more Stocking and more fantastic soundtrack sounds like a great idea to me and I'd totally watch it if it happened.

If it was/still is a troll, then OH GAINAX.
Dec 28, 2010 9:48 PM

Aug 2007
The fanboy in me wants it to happen so badly. I did not expect to like the show as much as I did, but it's definitely my favorite of this year. The show is a lot of fun, I think people who think it's trash are kind of full of themselves because they (laughably) somehow find it 'offensive', and it's about as offensive as any sitcom on tv today.

Either way, totally up for a second season if it's approved. If for some reason it can't be done, an OVA series would also be cool.

Dec 28, 2010 10:20 PM
Nov 2009
Man, with the way people are responding to this with such dismay you'd thick it was an 80's exploitation movie.
Dec 28, 2010 10:36 PM
Dec 2010
so many people here seem to not like the show. well you know what they say, the loudest people are the compainers and haters. personaly i love the show and cant wait for the second season. i hope that scanty and kneesocks will be the central characters this time since panty is out of the way and stocking is evil
kinathisDec 28, 2010 10:43 PM
Dec 28, 2010 10:50 PM

Jul 2010
All the haters should just shut up.

If you don't want a second season, don't watch it, nobody's forcing you to. Let the fans enjoy a second season.

[/rant]

Anyways, I'd love a second season ^.^
Dec 28, 2010 11:02 PM
Dec 2010
you and me both. i relaly hope they make a second season.
Dec 29, 2010 12:06 AM

Sep 2008
Lots of "It's New So It Sucks" going on here.

Everyone on the internet is just out to voice opinions and start flamewars I suppose. While not the best show ever, It's still better than a lot of the more recent moeblob stuff sitting around.
Dec 29, 2010 6:17 AM

May 2009
Do want.
Dec 29, 2010 9:40 AM
Oct 2009
AntiSpiral said:
Also, A2ZOMG, what is it with the 'lol people actually like this? they must be being silly'? Plus you're saying the show will be overrated and people will give it 'silly ratings' based on.. the logic that you thought the show was low quality. Right.
And you proved one of my points just now. Everyone who is a hater or fanboy/girl for this show is silly.

I'm neither a hater or fan of this show. But the facts are that this show had a huge consistency problem which only stands to get worse the longer the show continues. It's blatantly clear that Gainax was running out of ideas during many of the episodes of the show.

Nachotee said:
Comedy: Now here's the hardest part. Because whether a certain type of commedy is good or not, is very subjective. However I'll try to be fair: I think, if you're not too fussy, you'll be entertained, now laugh? That's a bit harder. I myself don't think insults and lame sex jokes are funny at all. the jokes are all pretty much the same, and worse than that, they feel kinda forced, they just crossed the line between funny and awkward.
The references are interesting, but not enough to make up for the lack of a real plot or comedy.
Let me make it clear what makes humor good and bad.

Good humor in comedy has to be relevant to the plot. And this is a primary reason why Panty and Stocking usually isn't funny. A huge quantity of the jokes and references have ZERO relevance to anything that happens in the plot. They basically come and go, and they might as well have not existed.

Panty's Engrish profanity is the best example of this offense. It's bad humor, because it has nothing to do with anything that happens. It's just there because some crackhead on the staff thought it was a good idea.
A2ZOMGDec 29, 2010 9:50 AM
Dec 29, 2010 9:42 AM
Feb 2009
SoFarGone said:
lobkestar said:
Dropped

me too. I mean the first episode had a toilet monster or something. C'mon man..

Family guy have a dog and it talks, drive and drink, almost people see the series. Why? Because it's comedy, unreal life and critics to the society.

P&S same thing: OMG A GIANT CRAP ON THE CITY *...* HAHAHA NICE ONE, REALLY CREATIVE!!

You sir have lost the great anime/cartoon comedy of this year and hell yea it was much better than most of the animes with ninjas and complicate plots.
Dec 29, 2010 9:54 AM

Jul 2010
How come people hate this series? Is it because of the art? I've watched Kaiba months ago and the art is totally different from other anime just like this series.

I enjoyed it from the first episode to the last. And most of my friends like it, too. Plus, I'm proud that my friends have good taste in anime!
Dec 29, 2010 10:21 AM

Sep 2010
A2ZOMG said:
Let me make it clear what makes humor good and bad.

Good humor in comedy has to be relevant to the plot. And this is a primary reason why Panty and Stocking usually isn't funny. A huge quantity of the jokes and references have ZERO relevance to anything that happens in the plot. They basically come and go, and they might as well have not existed.

Panty's Engrish profanity is the best example of this offense. It's bad humor, because it has nothing to do with anything that happens. It's just there because some crackhead on the staff thought it was a good idea.

I really have to disagree here. Haven't finished P&S yet and don't find it especially funny at the moment, but this statement just isn't right.

That definition about “good humor” might be your very own definition but it is definitely not the definition. If we go by your definition, every comedy series that has no plot whatsoever is automatically bad?
Gintamas humor was most of the time totally not relevant to the plot and you could gone without them..but it won't be ranked 3rd if people don't find it funny. Most of the slice of life comedy out there don't have a plot...but this doesn't make them less funny.

Again, this is your very own view why P&S is not funny for you. The humor just doesn't appeal to you. But there really is nothing wrong with P&S's humor...
Dec 29, 2010 11:00 AM
Oct 2009
mljato said:
I really have to disagree here. Haven't finished P&S yet and don't find it especially funny at the moment, but this statement just isn't right.

That definition about “good humor” might be your very own definition but it is definitely not the definition. If we go by your definition, every comedy series that has no plot whatsoever is automatically bad?
Gintamas humor was most of the time totally not relevant to the plot and you could gone without them..but it won't be ranked 3rd if people don't find it funny. Most of the slice of life comedy out there don't have a plot...but this doesn't make them less funny.

Again, this is your very own view why P&S is not funny for you. The humor just doesn't appeal to you. But there really is nothing wrong with P&S's humor...
You obviously don't understand. Watch Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, a show that lacks a cohesive plot, but has a LEGIT sense of humor. The jokes in SZS have actual relevance to the events that transpire in the show.

Comedy is not purely subjective, rather good comedy has mostly objective reasons as to why it is funny.
Dec 29, 2010 11:13 AM

Aug 2007
Calm down kids. It's just an anime, an amusing one at that.

Dec 29, 2010 11:28 AM
Oct 2009
Yes P&S is an anime, but is it amusing? Inconsistently.

The jokes in P&S are legitimately not funny most of the time. Panty's Engrish swears are stupid and really don't have any point or relevance besides proving that this show is secretly oriented towards children or equally immature teenagers who absolutely have to laugh at swears. X random reference to other American rock bands that lasts for only 1 second? Again who gives a shit? It's not funny or creative. All P&S does most of the time is make a lot of random events, but there is a huge lack of relevant comedy to accompany it.

All in all, it shows that Gainax was sorely lacking in creativity in the production of this show. A second season of this show would at best be an eyesore with that considered.
Dec 29, 2010 11:28 AM

Mar 2010
animelly said:
How come people hate this series? Is it because of the art? I've watched Kaiba months ago and the art is totally different from other anime just like this series.

Pfft, I love the art.
I also like the music too. I just don't think the series is that...funny.
It's too LOL RANDUM XD for me.

Mind you, I watched 8 episodes out of 13.
I find all this arguing in this thread kind of silly though.
Dec 29, 2010 11:43 AM

Sep 2010
A2ZOMG said:

Good humor in comedy has to be relevant to the plot.

A2ZOMG said:
Watch Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, a show that lacks a cohesive plot, but has a LEGIT sense of humor.

Doesn't this sound contradicting to you?

But lets pretend this was just a mistake in phrasing. You are again taking your very own subjective view on what comedy should be and force it onto people. Too bad I quite liked the first season of Sayonara Zesubo Sensei so I can't argue here. But I liked it because I liked the humor, not because of some obscure measurement units on what is funny and what not.

A2ZOMG said:

Comedy is not purely subjective, rather good comedy has mostly objective reasons as to why it is funny.

No, there aren't. Really, there are few things, that are more subjective than an individual's sense of humor. Objectivity means, independent from the observer and free from any emotional influences. Both goes fundamentally against the very meaning of humor.
Dec 29, 2010 11:49 AM
Oct 2009
What's even more silly is the people who either rate this show extremely high or extremely low, since it's quite frankly ridiculous to see how many people don't know what they're talking about.
Dec 29, 2010 12:07 PM

Aug 2007
A2ZOMG said:

The jokes in P&S are legitimately not funny most of the time.

Really? Sure it's crude and lowbrow, but I appreciated the sincerity and the ridiculous aspect of it all. And why does every joke have to be relevant to an almost nonexistent plot? The synopsis is given obviously, but the show relies primarily on their day to day life on earth, collecting those heaven coins. I think you're looking for something that isn't even in the show, consistency was not part of P&S's goal.

Dec 29, 2010 1:56 PM
Oct 2009
mljato said:
But lets pretend this was just a mistake in phrasing. You are again taking your very own subjective view on what comedy should be and force it onto people. Too bad I quite liked the first season of Sayonara Zesubo Sensei so I can't argue here. But I liked it because I liked the humor, not because of some obscure measurement units on what is funny and what not.
The point is that Sayanara Zetsubo Sensei has jokes that are intelligent. One of the key influencing factors in the intelligence of a joke is in fact how relevant the jokes are to the other events of the comedy.

No, there aren't. Really, there are few things, that are more subjective than an individual's sense of humor. Objectivity means, independent from the observer and free from any emotional influences. Both goes fundamentally against the very meaning of humor.
The subjectivity of humor is merely the understanding and appreciation for humor, or lack of it, and human understanding and intelligence is what ACTUALLY varies from person to person. This doesn't change the fact that there are clearly jokes that are good, and jokes that are bad.

Hias said:
Really? Sure it's crude and lowbrow, but I appreciated the sincerity and the ridiculous aspect of it all. And why does every joke have to be relevant to an almost nonexistent plot? The synopsis is given obviously, but the show relies primarily on their day to day life on earth, collecting those heaven coins. I think you're looking for something that isn't even in the show, consistency was not part of P&S's goal.
That's a bull argument. Every show has to be consistent at something, otherwise it's pointless and not entertainment. It doesn't matter how much you're trying to troll people. There has to be a consistent point to entertainment.

And yes, jokes have to be relevant to even your non-existent plot be good. Otherwise they are pointless and mindless gags, and nothing more. The level of maturity you need to laugh at a gag like Panty's Engrish profanity is pretty much comparable to that of a child or equally immature teenager. It's not creative or actually funny. It's just stupid. And similarly the gazillions of reference to pop culture. What is the point of them? They don't mean anything in the shenanigans that Panty and Stocking involve themselves in, and they might as well not exist, since the overall effect is the same without them.

This is unlike Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, where a chain of stalkers is in fact very much relevant to a misunderstanding that happened between characters. Yes it's totally random, but it has actual relevance, and thus a basis for being funny.

Panty and Stocking pretty much just makes events that often lack relevant humor. There isn't an intelligent basis for finding it funny. It's just a statement that the show is secretly oriented towards children or equally immature teenagers.
A2ZOMGDec 29, 2010 2:05 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

12 by _ATG_ »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
5 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.