Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 28, 2013 2:16 PM
Dec 2013
for people that are confused with the identity of the girl hideo was with at the end of the chapter...it's not kurumi who definitely died, and it's not her "sister" - the purpose of the children's home scene was to cement the idea that kurumi was an orphan, meaning that she didn't have parents to help pay for the hospital fees + apartment bills. therefore, she was hired by the OB network as an assassin to try to break hideo in exchange for taking care of the treatments and apartment.
viraticDec 29, 2013 12:15 AM
Jan 2, 2014 4:23 AM

Aug 2012
that was a great manga despite that I already know what happen to kurumi (because I read some spoiler) it is still

Rawrol said:
That ending, Saw it coming but was still hard to take it or accept it.

:( the bond between them is really something, anyway great manga I'll never forget it
Jan 8, 2014 10:16 PM
Feb 2012
Very intriguing manga, funny, disturbing and darkly brilliant. The subject matter of sexual perversion (aka golden showers and submission) isn't my cup of tea, so as ecchi fap material it is a fail for me, but the symbolism and psychological depth is top notch.

The most chilling omen is the panel where she had been bleeding and she's lying down with a handkerchief on her face. The Japanese usually put a cloth over a dead person's face so it was bad juju just like the flowers being "accidentally" put on her desk. The students in their class were real assholes, btw.

I agree with those that conclude he never had sex with her (in terms of penetration). Rubbing is definitely one way to masturbate without hands. The guy ejaculates several times just in his own pants, fer crissakes!

This also means she died as a virgin.
Feb 4, 2014 5:21 PM

Aug 2013
This manga hurts.

Anyways. I read it start to finish in a two day period because I knew if I stopped it would be hard to pick up a dark gritty story. Even though I knew she was terminally ill and the end was a given, it hit those feelings pretty hard. So I wanted to finish it as soon as possible.

The development of the relationship was probably the highlight of the manga for me. I did not enjoy their "outings" with the club as much so I found myself skimming those parts.

Overall it was amazingly deep with plot and relationships, but a bit drawn out. I will probably not forget this manga since it is the first to actually rustle my jimmies..
TazuFeb 4, 2014 5:25 PM
Feb 12, 2014 8:49 PM
Feb 2014
hey guys th most probaly didin't notice but the woman in the final pages

has a mole under his lip

kurumi has not so after she died he merried another person

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

AM FROM BRAZIL I LEARN FROM GOOGLE TRASNLATORAND ENGLISH MANGA -.-
Feb 16, 2014 5:14 PM

Feb 2012
Wow. That's all I can say; what a brilliant manga.

At first about exploiting fetishistic intimacies between humans to perverse humor about licentious things, the last volume really picks up the previous expectations and tosses them right out the window (just as Hideo did with the pot of flowers, ostensibly).

The ending, especially the last chapter, is a bit ambiguous but I'm more leaning towards this interpretation: they had sex (as indicated by her whispering "let's have sex when I wake up" and the chapter before - "I had a dream that we had sex"), but it might be, uh, necrophilia, since she might or might not have died before, during, or after the intercourse. The last substantial indication of her living was before the scene, so it's really up to one's interpretation. And given how perverse the entire manga is, the former wouldn't really be that surprising. The woman we see later is quite possibly a demonstration of what Kurumi, and by extension Sundome as a whole, was attempting to teach the protagonist (us, the audience): to slowly take initiative. Essentially, an entanglement of traditional coming of age themes mingled with strong sexual explications.

I really liked this manga; thought the characters were spot-on developed, especially the main pair, though some side characters were lacking it could be forgiven. The sexual imagery felt a bit gratuitous most of the time even in spite of the direction of the latter chapters. Perhaps if emphasized less (though that would defeat the purpose) the stimulation aspects, and more the psychological effects this aspect would've been handled a bit better. Overall though this manga isn't something I'd forget anytime soon while considering its unique display of erotic fetishistic ways that may very well serve to prove Freudian notions.

Still. Japan, you are so weird.
Feb 18, 2014 8:28 AM

May 2013
That was an interesting ending. I thought that girl that Hideo was sleeping with was Kurumi, but with longer hair, so I assumed that she was alive. Reading it a second, I can definite see that it wasn't her and that Kurumi, in fact, died (I guess she died when her and Hideo were having sex). Not a lot of people mentioned this, but Katsu and Kyouko are getting married!? I guess that was bound to happen, so congrats to them. Wish we could've seen them after that time skip.

This was an interesting manga to read. The relationship between Hideo and Kurumi was really interesting. There were many times that I thought that Hideo was just being used by her, but I guess that just happens when you really love that person and you would do anything for her. And with Kurumi, I can agree with some of the people that she was trying to change this guy into someone that can be relied upon in the future. But it was sad that Kurumi had to have an illness. Overall, I actually enjoyed reading this manga, just really seeing where their relationship would go from start to finish. This is definitely a manga that I'm not going to forget.
Mar 6, 2014 3:05 PM

Jan 2014
never mind the jerking-off part, but i feel bad for him that he lost kurumi...he's a great guy though...I would prefer this MC over Shinji from N.G.E, that guy was such a wuss. . .

it's a bit sad though that she died, but he still kept her in his memories,
a place where she'll exist as long as he live :)
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Mar 22, 2014 7:59 PM

Jan 2014
So i just finished this manga. One of the saddest things ive ever read. I have no words to describe it.

Do you know anything else from the author which has a happy ending?
Apr 6, 2014 4:02 PM

Oct 2012
Well, it was a very good read overall, but the ending was really rushed, which is why it wasn't perfect in the end for me..
I read all volumes in 1 day, so I may have noticed a few things I will share which could slip if you read it chapter by chapter over a period of time.

Well, first of all we realy did see Kurumi's state of health worsening(aside of Hideo mentioning one time she is losing weight, we actually saw her becoming more 'bony', as in thin..)

If you remember - she told she had no parents, while we often saw her with Roman Club's alumni.
In the last chapter we also saw Kurumi's childrens home, where she suppostedly lived before...
Yet during the period we see her in - she lives alone. This leads us a conclusion of her being materially supported by alumni.. but for what reason? Usually goal of alumni is to seduct club members with girl 'assassins' to make them lose virginity. While Kurumi's actions were exactly the opposite. Or was it that the real goal of roman club was to make mature people out of the club members? It's really hard for those 'close off' types of people to develop themselves, so the club is an opportunity to open yourself, while old members support those with their fun activities. This theory is supported good by chapter when we had a muscular alumni appear and Hideo challenged him into diving.. Well, while it may be true the man was afraid of heights, but I personally think he simply allowed Hideo to grow inside Kurumi's eyes.. Also pretty much any alumni related activities were having a real impact on both pairs in the manga.

Now to break hopes of people, who may think it was an open ending or something and kurumi could be alive.. No, it's pretty clear that the woman after time skip is not Kurumi, simply because of mole on her face, if you pay attention. And everything else is pointing into that(mostly her manner of speech and how she acted to club related activities and especially relation to golden shower, heh..)
At first I thought that author wanted to make it open end at first too, so people could think what they want, but then had to reread a bit and noticed it's a 100% his wife is not Kurumi.
Oh, and don't forget how they bought 2 fishes.. and author tried to play it out with them as fishes, so Kurumi would praise hideo's fish, when Hideo was getting more confident and eventually throwing away her own fish counterpart, meaning she thought that Hideo can live on without her, by his own strength.. and she was right according to ending we get, she 'raised' Hideo into becoming a successful person despite such grieve loss..

As for if they had or didn't have sex before the end of manga.. well, this actually is open end part now, since author did hide that aspect, which could mean 2 things:
1) They did have sex, but due to it not being an H manga, the scene simply wasn't made.
2) They didn't.
If we check the manga title - sundome, which means stopping right before finishing, then it makes us mostly take 2nd choice as a given.. At first I thought title was such because of Kurumi always teasing Hideo, so she makes him 'hard', while not letting him ejaculate(and if he does, she punishes him), as in stopping right before he does it.. But later on this proved false, when Hideo started ejaculating left and right without Kurumi getting bossy over it.

In the end, if we go by pure logic - he doesn't have sex with her. Reason for that is him becoming doctor... Remember the Club rule - stay virgin and be what you want to be and he told to Kurumi before that Doctor is what he wants to become.. and I doubt he would reach that without club's help.
Also the 'let's have sex when I wake up' phrase realy supports the no.2 choice, since Hideo always obeyed her and never broke promises..

Yet, there is a reason, why the sex actually could have happened. And that is - character development. Remember what was Kurumi trying to achieve with Hideo? That is for him to become independant, so he could actually act without having to rely on her..
And pairing that with picture, where she got ejaculated all over in her last moments.. There is a chance that he showed her the progress of work she made on him and actually disobeyed her and did it before she 'allowed' it.. with that, we get a relatively happy ending, where Kurumi passes away happily, after she actually made him broke the promise for the first time..
After all she told before, that she loves him and that probably was the truth.. She just wasn't the type to force herself onto him, since she probably thought it would be a burden to him for whole life, unless he makes such choice himself.
And since Hideo made that choise by his own will, that helped him get over the loss and continue to live with memories of Kurumi in his heart..

This manga realy had the potential, which was not unlocked even in the end. I think author shouldn't have put all that development onto last few chapters but instead made it more spread out at the very least... It just seemed how the progress was realy rushed TOO much..
I rated it 9 because of how well thought out the manga was and how it touched my heart, but if we judge real quality, then it's 8- probably.. I found the jerking/golden showers of Kurumi and Hideo most of the time being just fan service and not actually any development at all. It was fun for first few times, but after seeing almost exact same thing for 10th time with no sign of improvement on characters relations.. that seemed weird..
Also characters realy seemed WAY too different when they were just together with their pervy acts and when they were in company of someone else.. Of course they are supposed to keep it secret and such, but still sometimes it felt like you saw 2 different personalities.

It was a good read for sure, yet, after seeing the potential it had I was cheering for something more, so it left a slight disappointment... I am still happy I found a good read anyway though, so I guess it's all cool :)

cowboy_bebop63 said:
So i just finished this manga. One of the saddest things ive ever read. I have no words to describe it.

Do you know anything else from the author which has a happy ending?

Read Nozoki Ana, not by similiar author, but it's very similiar to this(and I must sadly say it's even better than sundome because of sundome's rushing ending and lack of development until ending) and it has happy ending(actually the happy ending is what made me disappointed about it the most, and if happy end is what you seek, you will find it a true masterpiece :D)
Apr 22, 2014 12:17 AM

Dec 2012
I guess I'll be the wird one here to say about how outright stupid I think this ending was. I believe the first third or so of this manga was very well done and had a lot of potential, but eventually it just became weird and illogical. THe manga should have focused more on their relationship and the characters, and not SO much on the fetishes. All that space wasted on Hideo getting jerked off ONCE again and Kattsun joking with the other girl could have been spent explaining wtf was wrong with Kurumi, and with the characters speaking about what they meant to each other.

When you get past all the "bittersweetness" and all the other BS, think about how this manga ended: a guy picks up his (girlfriend?) form th hospital, half dead, they go on a train ride, have sex on a dock (where she is possibly dead or dying), compares her to dead sea plankton, and ejaculates on her possibly dead body.

Does this not seem incredibly shocking to you all? How does anything other than arrest and murder trial not result from such a thing? How does Hideo just turn in a dead Kurumi after being half raped and life goes on as normal? The manga just makes no sense at all. And the whole Roman club cult/alien thing eventually played a real part in the story? It just feels to me like the author didn't take this story seriously, like it was more a tongue in cheek joke about two perverted kids than a serious romance novel.

There was potential for a lot of interesting dicussion and conflict in this manga, but in the end it just turned out to be yet another pseudo-edgy manga about psycho Japanese kids who somehow suffer no logical consequences for their actions.

Good beginning, outright stupid ending.
Apr 26, 2014 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
Aw, geez...

What a manga. Nearly cried when he saw flowers on Sahana's desk.

I, like many others here it seems, didn't understand the ending at first. I fisrt thought it was Kurumi with Hideo, but that wouldn't be right... there was too much foreshadowing of her death to have it end so conveniently.

Anyway, this was great. Sahana helped Aiba mature and grow into a man, but she couldn't make it...

Really sad shit, but I can't cry after seeing him happy with his new partner. But yeah, her influence on him and his fetishes still live on, seeing as he asks his new partner for a golden shower.

Great manga. Best blind purchase I've ever made. These 8 volumes will always have a special place on my shelf.
I hope Yen Press decides to publish Okada's new 'Ibitsu' over here, as it looks somewhat similar.
May 7, 2014 11:56 AM
Nov 2010
I've read all the posts in this thread, as well as the link to Akemi's website. There is a few arguments I'd like to add to the discussion:
jindo90May 7, 2014 1:15 PM
May 8, 2014 2:35 AM

Nov 2012
So i just finished this at about 5 in the morning, and i knew from all the foreshadowing that Kurumi was going to die at the end, but god damn that didn't stop me from tearing up a little at the endd. I'm glad to see that Kurumi building up Hideo to be a better person showed results at the end. At the end, even though it's pretty ambiguous, i'm pretty sure that Kurumi and Hideo had sex at the end. In chapter 72, Hideo says he feels like his 'collar' has been lifted, and in 73 when the doctor stops by in his car he tells Hideo that "She was always waiting on you to act on your own." And in chapter 75, when Hideo wakes Kurumi up at the hospital, she tells him that she "had a dream they had sex." So in the final chapter, I think Hideo had sex with her when she was sleeping. (I'm hoping he didn't do it after she died, because during the flashbacks, every time it showed her hand in the same position, unmoving, and even when he 'finishes' on her she still hasn't moved) It's still very ambiguous about whether or not they had sex. I just want to believe they did 'it' while she was asleep before she died, dreaming like she did in chapter 75.
May 24, 2014 7:15 AM

Oct 2012
Nakuke said:
I guess I'll be the wird one here to say about how outright stupid I think this ending was.

I think you are weird one only for the reason that my comment directly before yours was actually totally the same in a bit different wording... lol..

Now that I read my previous post, I realy found quite a few better manga series of similiar genre, so maybe I should even lower my rating on this one, hmm..
It was still a good read on average and it was a long story too, so I guess it was harder on author part to keep up with quality so I will stick with what I have for now, but that may change if I find even more good titles ^^
May 25, 2014 8:03 AM
Dec 2013
This manga kinda reminds me of Angel beats.. This also what happened from his little sister? I'm Confused in this kind of ending.. Is she kurumi? or did she died? and who did hideo married?

May 25, 2014 8:06 AM
Dec 2013
MCA5EY said:
So i just finished this at about 5 in the morning, and i knew from all the foreshadowing that Kurumi was going to die at the end, but god damn that didn't stop me from tearing up a little at the endd. I'm glad to see that Kurumi building up Hideo to be a better person showed results at the end. At the end, even though it's pretty ambiguous, i'm pretty sure that Kurumi and Hideo had sex at the end. In chapter 72, Hideo says he feels like his 'collar' has been lifted, and in 73 when the doctor stops by in his car he tells Hideo that "She was always waiting on you to act on your own." And in chapter 75, when Hideo wakes Kurumi up at the hospital, she tells him that she "had a dream they had sex." So in the final chapter, I think Hideo had sex with her when she was sleeping. (I'm hoping he didn't do it after she died, because during the flashbacks, every time it showed her hand in the same position, unmoving, and even when he 'finishes' on her she still hasn't moved) It's still very ambiguous about whether or not they had sex. I just want to believe they did 'it' while she was asleep before she died, dreaming like she did in chapter 75.

Oh God !! O.O

May 31, 2014 1:17 PM

Sep 2013
What an awesome manga. I am glad I did read it.
Jun 30, 2014 11:34 PM

Jul 2013
ClawViper7 said:
The scenes before the time skip into the future was open up to our interpretation from the author. So here's mine :

Page 15-16 - Kurumi undresses and tells him to come over to her. The two panels at the bottom of page 16 was Aiba having sex with Kurumi. Pages 16-19 (the topmost panel) showed him with an extremely painful expression as he was having sex with her, the most painful being after he asked himself why did she choose him out of everyone. The sounds made were pretty much all from him. Page 17 shows her hands go limp.. The 2nd - 5th panel of page 19 was a continuation from top panels of page 16 as you can see that Kurumi was still sitting up, and she whispered something to him. Page 20 further shows Aiba's pained expression. He finally finishes on page 21-22. The 'When I wake up, let's have sex' was what Kurumi whispered to him back in page 19. Chronological order : Page 15 -> Top panel of page 16 -> 2nd to 5th panel of page 19 -> Bottom two panels of page 16 -> page 17 -> page 18 -> 1st panel of page 19 -> page 20 -> page 21 -> page 22.

Therefore, I believed that Kurumi felt tired and that her time has come, so she lied down after the conversation on page 19. However, she woke up for the last time some time after and this led to Aiba having sex with her. However, her body was too weak and halfway during the process - possibly just before Aiba came - she died. Aiba's pained expression could be from the fact that he realised that she was dying. Eventually, the final time they showed her hand on page 20 was where she died - therefore they showed Aiba's expression again. Hence, the title Sundome - Kurumi died right before Aiba came in the midst of their first ever love-making.

Although there is another possibility that Kurumi never woke up and Aiba was having sex with her dead body (Aiba's hands were straight so it is definite that he has sex with her), I choose not to take this possibility because Aiba would never defy Kurumi's words. Kurumi possibly thought that she would have died and thus never waking up, but in the event that she does - she probably wants to take it as a sign to have sex with Aiba.

As for the ending, I decide to take it for what I see. He regularly has sex with a woman who has a wedding ring - it might be a colleague at work, for all I care. He is always reminded of Kurumi and says that she still exists in his heart. At the very last panel at the end, I believe that it was him talking to the woman.

For thoughts about the series itself, I felt that it has quite a number of flaws - Some of the kinky sex particularly about pissing did not appeal to me at all, and a lot of the story was dragged out. A lot of really serious moments were also ruined because the author decided to turn it into something sexual. A strong point would be the fact that the main character undergoes good character development, as portrayed in the two goldfish. Also, when the sexual scenes were done at the right time, it created a whole lot of sexual tension making it extremely romantic. Although I dislike tragedies, I personally couldn't get Kurumi-chan out of my head for the few hours after reading the manga.

Final Score : 9/10. Could have been 10 if it didn't drag it out with pointless scenes.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Aug 23, 2014 12:20 AM

Jan 2013
Blatantly sexual, at times disgusting, some chapters merely repetitive, and with a MC weird to a tee, Sundome is anything unlike I've ever read so far. Boasting terrific character development and one of the best final chapters in any manga, Sundome is a gem, albeit flawed, that one should cherish.

A 7.5/10 from me.
TrequartistaAug 23, 2014 12:25 AM
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Oct 10, 2014 10:23 AM
Jun 2010
To be honest, I thought it was really rude what he said at the end, saying thank you for her being there. Kurumi didn't want to die, she wanted to be with him forever, she loved him and was trying to get better just for him (somewhere around volume 2). She didn't want what happened, and that's just some cold shit.

I would have preferred it to be a bit sweeter, I wasn't really happy with the tone most of the time, it was just kind of brute forced and I'm more of a romance-y kind of guy. Could see she was going to die the first time she was absent, it was the only way it could go.
I was kind of happy with how he was impotent with his wife, Kurumi was the only once who could make him the happiest, and she is always first for him, I guess it's a nod to him unable to find someone as perfect for him as her, seeing as she was the first, and apparently only person, who he genuinely found attractive all the time.

Didn't really like the last few chapters, primarily cause it just seemed a bit rushed for her death, like nothing really happened except to tie up some loose ends, then they went on the trip, then she died. All well I guess.

7/10 overall, it was decent, art was pretty meh but can't really hate unless it's super ugly. Characters were funny, although they got a bit tiresome, also a bit irrelevant, but I guess that's okay.
Oct 10, 2014 6:23 PM
May 2014
this may be the wrong place to ask but I'm confused so ill ask anyway.

What did the doctor do Kurumu sahana?
*Did they have sex when he was in the bathtub? If not, why was she showing her bosom and him petting her when she is showing herself.
*When aiba said to the doctor at the festival that she lets him get peed on, he said it was opposite for him. what did he mean by that?
* also wtf did she mean about jealousy at the start?

I liked the series, but as a guy who gets jealous i got mad Sahana and I got mad at Aiba.

When I read it was contrast for him on the peeing thing, obvious we the viewer think he is the one peeing on her, but i guess he meant that she struggles to give pee samples to him. for the bathtub scene the assumption is that he was checking her heartbeat, but I don't get why there was "doink Doink Doink" sounds then...

Still really annoyed by the lack of answers would like if there is a proof that leaves no room for uncertainty and I hope that I missed it.

Also Aiba working under him is no proof, the guy was pushover and kinda accepted their relationship.
Oct 11, 2014 4:56 AM
Jul 2014
Just finished reading. My god... now I am going to go out and buy these in physical copies. This was emotional beyond belief and I actually cried. ;_; I am going to go with the ending that she lived, though I do not think it is the right ending. God this one got me. 9/10 though. Please somebody show me a good theory that is aimed toward her survival...
Oct 11, 2014 5:36 AM
Jun 2010
Xpekt said:
this may be the wrong place to ask but I'm confused so ill ask anyway.

What did the doctor do Kurumu sahana?
*Did they have sex when he was in the bathtub? If not, why was she showing her bosom and him petting her when she is showing herself.
*When aiba said to the doctor at the festival that she lets him get peed on, he said it was opposite for him. what did he mean by that?
* also wtf did she mean about jealousy at the start?

I liked the series, but as a guy who gets jealous i got mad Sahana and I got mad at Aiba.

When I read it was contrast for him on the peeing thing, obvious we the viewer think he is the one peeing on her, but i guess he meant that she struggles to give pee samples to him. for the bathtub scene the assumption is that he was checking her heartbeat, but I don't get why there was "doink Doink Doink" sounds then...

Still really annoyed by the lack of answers would like if there is a proof that leaves no room for uncertainty and I hope that I missed it.

Also Aiba working under him is no proof, the guy was pushover and kinda accepted their relationship.

The Doctor was just that, a doctor, and was responsible with her care. They had sex in the bathtub, but she died during the act so it can be said they didn't have sex at after all, which is in line with her promise at the beginning. The doctor was just joking with him about the pissing. When he was checking her pulse she had an elevated heartbeat because she was so happy to be with him, and was still alive for his promise. She also proposed sex, which is pretty nerve wracking.
I'd say you just missed a lot of the nuance. Aiba worked under him because that's what he promised he was going to do, become a doctor, and presumably specializing in what Kurumi suffered from, just as the Doctor did.

In regards to Revan, she died in the bathtub, otherwise she would still be with Aiba.
Oct 11, 2014 5:55 AM
May 2014
Xpekt said:

When I read it was contrast for him on the peeing thing, obvious we the viewer think he is the one peeing on her, but i guess he meant that she struggles to give pee samples to him.

I don't see what I missed, you are saying what i said just less accurate, I am only mad of the lack of evidence or a confirmation and asked if there was any such that i missed.
Oct 11, 2014 6:21 AM
Jul 2014
She died in the bathtub..? How is that possible if she was in the hospital and his friends helped rescue her and everything? Maybe I am just in denial but there has to be some good evidence in the "Kurumi survives" theory. What killed her anyway, if she did die? .-.
Oct 11, 2014 7:18 AM
Jun 2010
revan772 said:
She died in the bathtub..? How is that possible if she was in the hospital and his friends helped rescue her and everything? Maybe I am just in denial but there has to be some good evidence in the "Kurumi survives" theory. What killed her anyway, if she did die? .-.

It's not stated what she had, just that she was sick enough to frequently get severe nosebleeds that caused anemia. She was so weak by the end of it that she couldn't stand or sit up un-aided. Yes she died in the bath tub, presumably during sex with Aiba. The bathtub scene is after she had escaped the hospital with the aid of her friends.

To Xpekt, you're asking questions, which I answered, I didn't restate anything you said previously, and it's all matter-of-fact so there is no inaccuracy. There is evidence, it requires you to put two and two together, however, which judging from your questions you didn't do, that's why I said you missed much of the nuance.
Oct 11, 2014 9:32 PM

Nov 2011
Just finished reading this and wow, this was much more entertaining than I had thought. I think there was a time skip or sorts in the finale chapter.

8/10. I doubt this will get an anime adaptation though and if so, Madhouse would have to do it. Might re-read again someday.
Oct 19, 2014 11:36 PM

Sep 2014
I haven't cried like that since two particular scenes in Elfen Lied.

However, I find myself thinking the scene in chap 71 is a little more heartbreaking... where he's passing out & she whispers, "I'm not taking you with me". I keep reading it as "I can't take you with me"...

9/10. Only reason I don't give it a 10 is 'cause Hideo disgusted me for the first half or so of the manga and I HATE tragedies. So it means I really loved a story when, despite my major aversion to tragedies, I nearly give it my perfect score.

I've now read Sundome 4 times and, every-single-time, when I reach the last volume I can't hold back the tears. No matter how many times I read Sundome the end doesn't get any easier to handle.
CasyleFeb 16, 2015 2:08 AM
Nov 18, 2014 9:17 PM

Jun 2014
The Ending is confusing and too much stories unfolded

Last night i completed the story but for some reason couldn't sleep because of that untold ending.So i made up an own opinion for this ending.
Opinion:
Kurumi died of some unknown health issues.But that was not shown but it hint out something like that.And the woman spent night with Hideo,could be his wife.Because the personalities of that woman differs from Kurumi(Golden Shower,Smile,No response from the converstion about Tatsu's marriage).And whenever he mate/sex with his wife, Hideo reminds of that day,he had having the same feeling like the same before with Kurumi(Hideo said"You still Exist").

I wished for a dramatic ending.But never imagined this ending could came out that author created.
Dec 6, 2014 11:59 AM

Nov 2014
Oh god whoever suggested that ciguatera. Dude the reactions are annoying but i like story line.

Back to the topic

I thought she was alive at first even though my heart feels like shes dead. The ending was hella confusing. I had to read it 3x 4x to understand it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2014 11:38 PM
Nov 2010
I was looking for a digital version of this manga on iTunes, and I didn't find it (of course, mature content), instead I stumbled upon this podcast.
Skip the first 3-5 mins, I agreed with how most of the conversation was going. It started out by mentioning how repulsive this manga appeared to be, and developed to a full-on discussion of the story and characters. Pretty long ~45mins. Pretty interesting though.
They made some good points I didn't think about, such as how Kurumi and Hideo's relationship started out, and how much power Kurumi or Hideo had over each other, etc.
It's a new experience for me listening to other people talking about Sundome, rather than reading reviews like I've always done.
jindo90Dec 9, 2014 1:48 AM
Mar 21, 2015 10:50 PM

Jul 2013
Absolutely saddening, at least he became a doctor. The roman club and the OBs were pretty bro through. Somebody mentioned that a manga featuring the Roman club would be cool and I would have to agree.

Wish Kurumi didn't die, and we knew what she actually died of. I appreciate how the author to make the ending not so traumatic by showing that everybody was able to move on and live their lives.
May 26, 2015 12:18 AM
May 2015
Hold up hold up hold up. So he's now working as a doctor in the hospital where he was arrested for runnin' around the intensive care unit at night in his birthday suit jizzin' on the patients windows?? That's kinda fucked up. I'd like to think they'd have more stringent checks for their doctors. But you guys casually talking about necrophilia n shit so s'pose you wouldn't realise just how weird that is.

On that note how does he explain the body? Walks back into the hospital with a sleeping bag and hands it into reception... "Erm, it was naked when I found it... Promise..." "The cum was also there when I found it!" *sprints away*

Again, not sure I'd want someone with that kinda history being a doctor. Hate to shit on your parade and all.
BraaaaapmonkeyMay 26, 2015 12:24 AM
Oct 27, 2015 8:07 AM

Oct 2011
That moment when you finished reading and go to forum to check people reaction to the ending, and then you realize that you just misunderstood the ending. OMG
Fuck!!
I did seriously though she's alive...
Nov 30, 2015 11:01 PM

Jul 2013
Decent manga. It's an emotional story and writers should take note in how to properly build a relationship between two characters. Hideo actually develops during the story and improves himself.

It was obvious she was going to die she was way too sick to survive (beyond miracle cure). I am with the people who think they didn't have sex at the end. Sundome means something like "stopping right before" so keeping up with the theme he never got to have sex with Kurumi.

She lives in his memories but he won't be able to move on (scene with impotence demonstrates this). He will most probably dedicate his entire life to trying to find a cure for Kurumi's disease.

Just shows you how love is complex, and every love is unique in it's own way, and never really disappears you just learn to live on.
retributionisblind.wordpress.com
Dec 14, 2015 4:48 AM
Jul 2015
That ending was sad. I'm depressed right now.
Jan 4, 2016 11:13 AM
Jan 2016
You guys, i have the habit of listening to music while im reading manga, books and pretty much everything. at the last page that kurumi is depicted with aiba i stopped reading holding back tears, not wanting to see next page for about a minute. i realised at that point Blue oyster club's DONT FEAR THE REAPER was playing... Anyway this manga's ending was perfect for me, im still extremely sad and heavy hearted when i think about it, and overal i'd rate it 9/10 at least(in its kind).
Jan 4, 2016 12:40 PM

Jul 2015
I think this could have been a bit better .I especially liked the romance between the MC and the heroine .I'm not into femdom (not totally at least) but it was refreshing to read .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 5, 2016 12:58 AM
May 2009
This ending made me feel quite angry... I kept hoping for Kurumi to survive...

But, i wonder why everyone keep saying "his" wife, since she has a ring and he doesn't, i found this weird.
Jun 22, 2016 8:50 AM

Dec 2015
Ouch this was saddening. I think the Hideo represented control in Kurumi's life (since she lacked it in other aspects such as health and knowing when she would die). This is why there relationship turned into a S and M one. Its actually beautiful if you really think about it, it seems Hideo was aware of this later on and tried to give Kurumi control over him as much as he could. He was like her security blanket when things got rough. I honestly don't think they had sex at the end, it goes with the theme of stopping just before. The ending with the "wife" shows how much of an effect kurumi chan had on hideo. He has a sexual dysfunction now because he could only get hard to her. She was the one soulmate that he truly loved and if she was alive they would probably have gotten married and lived a normal life, but circumstances did not call for that.

The last line I wasn't sure if the "wife" was offering to do the golden shower OR if Hideo was being more assertive about it and asking seriously. Either way he said it herself she still exists in his fetishes, his thoughts, and currently his sexual dysfunction (which I think he is perfectly ok with, its some sort of fucked up reminder for him that he doesn't want to disappear).

9/10 for truly beatiful in a truly perverted story :O.
Oct 6, 2016 4:42 AM

May 2008
after reading through all 4 pages, and compiling my thoughts with everyone's opinions.

my final conclusion was that:

Kurumi was also an assasin sent like kyokou, reason being her personal doctor was an alumni and the alumni was providing her a place to stay in return for her carrying out her assasination duties on hideo.

as for the end, im leaning more towards the side of they didnt do it, i think she said "lets have sex when i wake up" to get him riled up to carry out his attempt to masturbate for her as she lay on her death bed cause it was obvious once she closed her eyes there, she was never waking up again.
Feb 18, 2017 8:15 AM

Jul 2014
Fuck me.. I knew this was going to destroy me since the "i will never have sex with you" and the hints that the "other" guy was just her Doctor.

And yet here i am...
hana ga saita yo
Feb 25, 2017 12:57 PM

Jan 2016
Well, even though the ending of this was obvious around about two-thirds of the way in I still ended up losing it, cried myself to sleep after staying up all night to finish it. I hate it yet love it at the same time, I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a happy ending but I still felt like shit and depressed.

I don't think Kurumi was an assassin as one of the first things she says to Hideo is that she will never have sex which is the whole purpose of the assassin, she was terminally ill, being looked after she just wanted some joy in her life and ended up improving the life of Hideo and giving him a reason to live on with a happy life, not to forget either, she even improved Kyouko's life. And at the end, I don't think they did do it in the end either as Hideo ended up going on to be a doctor which was his wish for when he graduated from the club by keeping his virginity.

I would say this post on Reddit from a few years back helps clear things up:
https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/298mfo/sundome_spoilers/

In the end, I thought this was great, an emotional rollercoaster, it's by no means perfect but I enjoyed it for what it is.
May 2, 2017 10:04 PM
Nov 2016
A great manga. Sad but honest ending.
Jun 12, 2017 1:07 PM
Mar 2016
guys so i thought it was a time skip then i saw the reply that she died well im now crying, i thought she lived until the end but looking back now on chapter 76 page 23 you see him hold her hand but she has no indication of holding his hand, which i believe is the part where she dies and then the next page (page 24) could be the time skip where its all his dream and that hes still connected.
Apr 10, 2018 2:11 AM

Jan 2018
I didn't like the end, it was so stiff and it looked like it was put there only becuse the manga needs to have some end after all.I don't know ,for me that pulled it down from and 8 and now is just one good manga for me. The strenth of the manga was in it's middle, but at the end and in the begining wasnt so hot.
Sep 16, 2018 1:06 AM

Jan 2018
This manga was really something. Since i started to reading this i was a bit disappointed by art compared with psychological manga from my favourite Shuuzou Oshimi. But after a few chapters i couldn't stop to read. Even that last chapters (71-76) were very tearful and i was expecting bad end. It wasn't like being shocked so much, because since start we have been prepared, that something bad could happen. But... Seeing her on other side of window with those thingies in her nose was very emotional and last chapter was a bit confusing, but there's sure, that female at the very end wasn't her. I don't like sad endings, because after that i am feeling very weak and in tearful mood. Anyway i had really nice moments reading it

My signature is coppied from another forum, because currently i don't have nothing better
AlienWare M17X5 (2013-2016), MSI GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO (2016-Presence)
Oct 4, 2018 6:02 AM
Sep 2018
Really hate the author who does not make the end clear. Just make the people controversy about the end if she still alive or dead.
Dec 9, 2018 9:26 AM

Feb 2014
lol wtf this ending? =/

I re-read this more than twice and looked like she died

The woman with the MC at the end is a random woman with who he married with. NOTE: She has a mole on her chin (Kurumi didn't have one).

Anyway, i don't really liked the way it ended. It left many things on air and etc. Kurumi dying from a "?" diseased was lame. Felt somewhat rushed as well.

from and 8 to 5 or 6
TechOtakuDec 9, 2018 9:45 AM
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What to read that is similar to Sundome?

Elpato891 - Mar 16, 2018

8 by Toranagii »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:57 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 72 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Jul 8, 2012

4 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 71 Discussion

3 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 68 Discussion

Explicitz - May 27, 2011

9 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:10 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 67 Discussion

5 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.