Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2010 2:33 PM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yasuomi Umetsu is such a great animation Director, i love his animation style, there is a certain expression in each gesture, movement or even cloth moving that always amazes me.
On the episode it's a little good story, with great animation, loved the "homage" to Pinocchio with the little robot resembling a cricket :)
Dec 3, 2010 3:25 PM

Feb 2008
botch said:

On the episode it's a little good story, with great animation, loved the "homage" to Pinocchio with the little robot resembling a cricket :)

I agree but not entirely. Its more of the creator rejection and later regret.

The boys playing with some man head almost play no role in this episode,,
Dec 4, 2010 3:00 AM

Apr 2009
theanimeis said:
botch said:

I agree but not entirely. Its more of the creator rejection and later regret.

The boys playing with some man head almost play no role in this episode,,

I only said "Homage" because the pinocchio story plays an important role as influence in robot/life creation movies,that said i'm well aware of the values that you mentioned, and the old "it's never to late to follow your desires" motto :)

just wanted to say that it's indeniable that the little headless robot in the movie resembles the cricket from pinocchio:
Mar 4, 2012 1:49 PM
Feb 2011
This was touching to some extent, really loved the soundtrack and the animation style. Probably the best out of all 9 episodes.
Nov 29, 2014 5:25 AM

Feb 2014
This one was the best so far imo.
Very interesting. Very good animation.
Also great detail in art. I was impressed.
Mar 6, 2015 3:50 AM

Apr 2009
Pretty melancholic, beautifully done and it felt like a mindscrew for me so I didn't like it.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 14, 2015 2:36 PM

Feb 2008
Pretty sad story with great visuals and animation. It will be a bit difficult to top this, but hope the rest of the stories deliver as well.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 6, 2015 4:29 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Incredible art, animation and music and a tight compact relatable story. Brilliant stuff.

Hard to believe that is by the same guy that later did stuff like Wizard Barristers and Galilei Donna.
FarabeufNov 6, 2015 4:33 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 15, 2016 12:31 AM

Apr 2012
Yeah the animation is beautiful. I think the kids at the start just set the scene about the place of androids in society, that guy was a lot more than a doll... Slight story though, we don't learn much except how emotionally stunted he is.

Hard to believe this guy also did Kite!
Jun 9, 2016 6:18 PM

Feb 2015
I like to rewatch this episode from time to time. Top notch visuals for a nearly 30 years old work, heck, it's even better than most of the mediocre stuff from today.

So much feels.

Would love to watch this on blu-ray someday, fingers crossed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2019 12:34 PM

Feb 2014
Wow, this episode was by far the best thing related to anime I've watched in a LONG time. Everything about it was just perfect. The atmosphere, music, pacing, directing, and obviously the art and animation. It's been so long since an anime had me completely glued to the screen.
Jun 8, 2019 3:27 AM
Aug 2017
The dub is absolutely fenominal. The british voice acting really sells the setting of "ye olde" britain. As for the short itself: score compsition is amazing and the story itself is somber. The protag reminds of Trevor Goodchild form Aeon Flux.
Nov 10, 2019 12:46 AM
Jul 2018
The art, animation style is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.. so is the direction.. beautiful soundtrack.. heart-touching little story. I agree with OP, watching breeze itself was pleasurable. Perfection.

Sep 13, 2020 7:00 AM
Feb 2015
With these visuals and general plot summary it makes me a little sad this wasn't a full movie because it might've been a pretty compelling time if they had developed the characters and their relationship enough to make me care about what happened to either of them.
Dec 8, 2020 5:59 PM
Dec 2019
Funny enough, looking at this through my typical lens, I think this says more about human relationships than it does about humans and robots. The robot doll is representative of how men may have conceptualized women during that time period. People of both genders want to feel loved and seek out relationships for what other people can offer them. Then when they find that other people have a life of their own and are not the perfect dolls made to serve them, but rather have their own needs, they get scared and reject them. His wife is rising through the ranks at work and is considered unladylike by the men because she doesn't conform to their idea of what a woman should be and instead has authority over them. The protagonist created the doll to fulfill his own emotional needs, but when the machine starts up it wants him to fulfill ITS emotional needs. He no longer had power over it because it became its own thing, and that scared the hell out of him. He said he wasn't strong enough to be her knight in shining armor, so he ran, like all absentee fathers.
Oct 8, 2022 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
Down right ass! Literally, it was plane shit nothing else. Tell me why did he destroyed it when he created her. And why he didn't accepted her as a Machine with feelings and instead he said to her, she was a robot. Plus, she just touched him and he decide to destroy her. I didn't understand a little bit of this episode. By far the worst and most overrated episode in this anime.
0/10 but I'm giving it 2/10 because of visuals, they were great and even better than some of today's anime!
Sep 11, 2023 11:29 AM
Feb 2022
This is the best segment.
Oct 17, 2023 3:11 AM

Aug 2018
This was a pretty beautiful segment , I think that direction is underrated while the animation is truly beautiful for 80's standarts

More topics from this board

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 9 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 21, 2010

9 by Figva »»
Oct 17, 2023 3:14 AM

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 8 Discussion

tofei - Mar 6, 2015

5 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
Aug 5, 2023 12:40 PM

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 7 Discussion

Futa-chin_Kosuki - Nov 29, 2014

9 by -AlexL- »»
Jan 23, 2023 4:37 PM

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 6 Discussion

tofei - Mar 6, 2015

8 by removed-user »»
Oct 8, 2022 8:04 AM

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 5 Discussion

Futa-chin_Kosuki - Nov 29, 2014

8 by removed-user »»
Oct 8, 2022 7:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.