How would you rate this anime?
Nov 26, 2010 10:01 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

MAL Anime Information Page: Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

MAL Score – 7.70 (by 3684 users)
Ranked - #712
Popularity - #1051

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
20 Yes - 62.5%
12 No - 37.5%

56 Don't know this character - 63.6% of the total number polled
0 Abstained - 0.0% of the total number polled

kokuroJun 1, 2011 9:37 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 28, 2010 10:55 AM

Dec 2007
Gundam 0080 was my first Gundam. By itself it is a masterpiece and it's value increases when you situate it in the Gundam franchise.

The animation is beautiful and excellent, very well crafted. The characters were real and the divergence of their roles to the main Gundams is very relevant. I believe this was the first mature Gundam, the first where the child is a child and the pilot is a trained soldier.

It is a very beautiful and meaningful request for peace: I think the story is simply a device to get to this conclusion.

I believe 0080 resumes the whole meaning behind Gundam. But it is also a very well made analogy to the reality. It is raw and very simple. That's part of its power.

An easy yes.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jun 3, 2011 4:55 AM

Oct 2008
I've seen most of the Gundam franchise, I believe I have finished most or all of the UC timeline. I can't help but wonder if it plays a part in me not really thinking much of this OVA. It's definitely not in my top five gundam productions. Perhaps top ten. This OVA series attempts to capture some of the magic from the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, specifically the elements retold in the MSG movie part 1, I guess I could also add Furuhashi Kazuhiro's first new UC Gundam Unicorn movie as being the newest Gundam movie to recapture some of the now classic Tomino archetypes, but I'm not really sure if it's appropriate to compare the two. I'll just say it too, I'm very biased considering that I was burnt out on Gundam franchise when I watched it. I thought I re-watched it last year, perhaps the first time I watched it was in 2007 gundam marathon. While I enjoyed this ova series, I don't remember it being exceptional in the franchise compared to a few other works like MSG: Zeta, MSG: The 08th MS Team and it's Millers report movie, Mobile Suit Gundam F91, and MS igloo's last two ova series by Takashi Imanishi. I can't believe this ova is already so hazy in memory. I remember the beginning very well. Oh my, It appears I'm going to need to re-watch this series again. I do remember hearing some compelling arguments about the brilliance of this Fumihiko Takayama work in creating a well character driven Gundam series that focuses on relationships more than just the battle scenes. It also does a good job at portraying Tomino's vision of life and politics on a Colony in Space. Someone else please refresh my memory about why this series should be nominated so I don't have to re-watch it. I'm already so far behind on Kemono no Souja Erin. I really don't want to have to watch the minimum to vote. As for War in the Pocket right now, I'm swaying towards voting 'no' because I really just don't see it as being particularly exceptional in the Mech genre. Evangelion is exceptional in the Mech genre and it was shot down. I don't even see how this ova has prayer if it's not even really exceptional in it's franchise. Please prove me wrong.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.