Forum Settings
Forums

Do i have any talent for drawing manga? :\

New
Nov 19, 2010 6:53 PM
Jun 2009
Every manga panel i draw looks like crap :(
Also i have problems drawing:

hair, bodies, eyes, hands, backgrounds, proportions, actually i have problems drawing everything lol XD

I once showed my manga drawings to someone and they told me i was crazy to even show them my crap ;_;
Nov 19, 2010 6:57 PM

Jan 2009
examples? images? A reference would help a lot.
Nov 20, 2010 6:59 AM

Mar 2009
Post a sample of your work- that would help in determining whether you have any talent for drawing manga or not.
Nov 20, 2010 8:35 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
fq said:
hair, bodies, eyes, hands, backgrounds, proportions, actually i have problems drawing everything lol XD

There are some books which teach you exactly those things, so I suggest you buy them. It's hard to draw without knowing about proportions etc...
And don't give up, maybe you need lots of practise, but eventually you should get better ;)
Nov 20, 2010 3:47 PM
Jun 2009
Sample of my work:

This is part of Traces From the Past Manga (http://traces.smackjeeves.com)
This image is not part of the manga yet, i did it in advance...
fqNov 20, 2010 3:50 PM
Nov 20, 2010 4:16 PM

Jan 2009
You definitely have some talent, I'll give you that much. I'm only going to critique on this picture rather on the manga as a whole:

Negatives:
~ The main issue is the foreground and the background in this certain image are all slurred together.
~ Your character is a bit on the amateur side, but you can work on that by doing what Luna_ suggested
~ The cracks farther away are too thick-lined and not consistent

Positives:
~ The action marks are believable, but may be just a bit overdone.
~ I can get a sense of immediacy from the image and a feeling of release (from the character's right hand being open and facing upward as well as the face upturned to the sky as rain falls down) oh- and maybe some regret is present there as well (am I right?). Provoking the right emotions from the viewer is very crucial.
~ I am very impressed with the foreground toning and the details therein. Drawing rocks may be somewhat difficult, but these look very nice. ^^

Things to work on:
~ the character's anatomy
~ background to foreground transitions
~ etc (I think you know where else you lack)
Nov 20, 2010 8:03 PM

Mar 2008
What is talent? A miserable pile of excuses.

Okay I lied. Talent = those who are obsessed with drawing, learning and improving.
Nov 20, 2010 8:13 PM

Apr 2010
Chidashi-sama said:
You definitely have some talent, I'll give you that much. I'm only going to critique on this picture rather on the manga as a whole:

Negatives:
~ The main issue is the foreground and the background in this certain image are all slurred together.
~ Your character is a bit on the amateur side, but you can work on that by doing what Luna_ suggested

Positives:
~ I can get a sense of immediacy from the image and a feeling of release (from the character's right hand being open and facing upward as well as the face upturned to the sky as rain falls down) oh- and maybe some regret is present there as well (am I right?). Provoking the right emotions from the viewer is very crucial.
~ I am very impressed with the foreground toning and the details therein. Drawing rocks may be somewhat difficult, but these look very nice. ^^

Things to work on:

I agree with all the points made here. Another thing I would add myself is that the line, and outline thickness on the character should be consistent. Actually, thinner.

Nov 22, 2010 7:46 AM
Jun 2009
"Your character is a bit on the amateur side"
Maybe it's because I'm an amateur? XD

Anyways this manga thing frustrates me a lot cause i have few to no reasons to make it..
I never receive feedback at smakjeeves and i have no clues if anyone is even following it..

It's hard to continue doing something that requires a lot of work if there's no point to it ._.
Nov 22, 2010 8:25 AM

Jan 2009
fq said:

Anyways this manga thing frustrates me a lot cause i have few to no reasons to make it..
I never receive feedback at smakjeeves and i have no clues if anyone is even following it..

It's hard to continue doing something that requires a lot of work if there's no point to it ._.

Do you have a deviantart account? People will notice you if you put your stuff there. I've actually been following the progress of a doujinshi there. ^^ You can even request critiques from more "artsy" people, as well.
Nov 22, 2010 10:25 AM

Mar 2008
fq said:

You could spend time upping your skills. You don't need to always be working on something concrete.
Nov 22, 2010 11:41 AM
Jun 2009
Fui said:
You could spend time upping your skills. You don't need to always be working on something concrete.

That's how i've improved so far: making concrete manga and giving up of them XD
Pro mangakas improve their drawings by working hard every month, they do the same mistakes so many times that at some point they correct them XD
I'm doing the same just in a smaller scale...
fqNov 22, 2010 11:44 AM
Nov 23, 2010 11:57 AM

May 2007
Fui said:
What is talent? A miserable pile of excuses.

Okay I lied. Talent = those who are obsessed with drawing, learning and improving.

Hahaha, so true.

fq said:

To figure out if people are following it, go to smackjeeves > my webcomics > manage webcomics > Jump To: site stats and traffic. Look at the number of favorites, and your traffic flowchart. I hardly get any comments on my comic, either, but I know people are following it and that people are finding it based on the flow of traffic. It it steadily increasing week to week.

As for your manga, here are some tips:
1. Use tone with a purpose, and think about how it relates to the design of the page. Not just as a tool for shading and effects.
2. When working on your page layouts, think of the design of the page as a whole--not just the individual frames. Think of the flow--how are you directing the reader's eyes across the page? Some of your page layouts are a little confusing; when designing the page, think to yourself: "am I clearly conveying the direction of movement to my readers??" Always think about how other people are going to perceive the page--your readers are the most important thing in the world.
3. What I gathered from your manga was that in part of it she was having a dream and then woke up. In the scene where she wakes up, the word "reality" should be UNNECESSARY. Your readers should be able to figure out from the page that she is waking up from a nightmare. Think of your manga as a movie that you are directing--how do the camera angles, pacing, lighting, and composition contribute to the telling of your story? Study the art of cinematography; think of how these methods will contribute to your storytelling.

Here are some slides from a panel that I gave at a couple of cons about the process of making manga. I think they will help you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

...ONE MORE THING. Making manga and getting better at it is hard. It's HARD AS HELL. It's a lot of work, and it takes a long time to get good. But keep at it. If you really want it, you have to keep doing it. Even when it feels like there is no point, if you are continually improving, then one day when you are better you will have the ability to look back at it and say "Oh man, that was rough, but I am so glad I did it."

Or you can give up now, and save yourself the time, the trouble, and the pain. But you have potential. If you want to go somewhere with your skills, you will have to work hard, or you can stop now and save yourself. Best of luck, whatever you do.
Nov 23, 2010 6:10 PM
Jun 2009
Getting better at manga IS NOT HARD...it only takes time...
What is really hard is keeping yourself MOTIVATED...

I really do believe i should dramatically decrease the detail level of my manga pages...making a super-detailed page once in a while wont take me anywhere...its time to work out the..STORY.
Nov 23, 2010 8:44 PM

Mar 2010
Practice makes perfect, my friend. I couldn't draw a 'pinis' with my left hand before, but after some practice, I improved a lot :)
Nov 23, 2010 11:49 PM

May 2007
anonymous2889 said:
Practice makes perfect, my friend. I couldn't draw a 'pinis' with my left hand before, but after some practice, I improved a lot :)

what is a 'pinis'
Nov 24, 2010 1:14 AM

Mar 2010
ScrumYummy said:
anonymous2889 said:

what is a 'pinis'

LOL, penis actually. :D
Nov 24, 2010 4:33 AM

Sep 2009
fq said:
Sample of my work:

This is part of Traces From the Past Manga (http://traces.smackjeeves.com)
This image is not part of the manga yet, i did it in advance...

nice pic ......you got talent after all .....
Nov 26, 2010 12:07 PM
Nov 2010
ScrumYummy said:

Here are some slides from a panel that I gave at a couple of cons about the process of making manga. I think they will help you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Great comment help me too : D and most of the images that you post are manga that i know, but i want to now what manga is in the first spoiler?
First Spoiler: ??? - Batman
Second spoiler: Random pic - Fruits basket
Third Spoiler: Tsubasa - It look like ranma 1/2 but i dont whink so -_-
Fourth spoiler: no idea
Fifth: Red river - Naruto
Sixth: nana (I think haven´t read it) - ???
Seventh: Death note- Tsubasa- ???
Eighth: Bizenghast - Naruto
nina: again i yhink is nana.
Nov 27, 2010 6:03 PM

May 2007
(from left to right)
1. Apple, Batman
2. Yuu Watase on making manga, Fruits Basket
3. Tsubasa, Maison Ikkoku
4. What A Wonderful World!, Sekai wa Kitto Kimi no Mono (I think), Yuu Watase on making manga
5. yes and yes
6. Nana, *I Want... (Hoshino Masami)
7. Death Note, Tsubasa, *Seduce Me After The Show
8. yes and yes
9. yep

*mature titles FYI
Nov 27, 2010 6:05 PM

May 2007
(from left to right)
1. Apple, Batman
2. Yuu Watase on making manga, Fruits Basket
3. Tsubasa, Maison Ikkoku
4. What A Wonderful World!, Sekai wa Kitto Kimi no Mono (I think), Yuu Watase on making manga
5. yes and yes
6. Nana, *I Want... (Hoshino Masami)
7. Death Note, Tsubasa, *Seduce Me After The Show
8. yes and yes
9. yep

*mature titles FYI
Nov 27, 2010 6:14 PM
Nov 27, 2010 6:24 PM

May 2007
selective_yellow said:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/11764/Apple

This apple?

your mom's apple.

Nov 28, 2010 4:55 PM
Jul 2009
First off, how old are you? That's a huge thing.

Second of all, that looks great. No offense, but I don't get people like you. People that obviously have talent and talk as if they suck. Never talk down about your own artwork, always keep it at the highest caliber when you talk about it, or other people might think it's not good. If you have a positive attitude, others will too :o

And, third, you're better than a lot of people at my college were during their second year (including me.) And we major in cartooning- we're comic book majors, so if I could look at that and say it's good, then trust me. We're past that level now- but I assume you will be too if you took 2 years of college :)

If there's anything you needa know about college or anything I was talking about, feel free to ask, and keep up the good work :)
Nov 29, 2010 11:27 AM

Feb 2009
ScrumYummy said:
selective_yellow said:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/11764/Apple

This apple?

your mom's apple.

No, This Apple-

Is there another word for synonym?
Nov 29, 2010 11:50 AM

May 2007
STOP TALKING ABOUT MY CHERRY my cherry is off limits

(oh dear god we are getting horribly off topic)

um.....manga. yeah >:D that's my manga apple, and you should strive to draw many manga apples if you with to become a true manga artist. *thumbs up*

Dec 7, 2010 8:32 AM
Jun 2009
Most recent page:

In this page i tried to follow a more organized method to make manga.
fqDec 7, 2010 8:42 AM
Dec 7, 2010 12:23 PM

May 2007
too much tone

grammar errors

A+ for effort
Dec 7, 2010 2:33 PM
Jun 2009
Too much tone? Where? O.o
Jan 31, 2015 10:37 PM
Jan 2015
You have talent. Those pwoplw were just mean.
Feb 6, 2015 3:03 AM
May 25, 2015 5:16 AM
May 2015
Chidashi said:

Negatives:

Positives:

Things to work on:

Well, this is all true, I'd also say though that they need more detail in the hair.

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

362 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 11:56 AM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Apr 24, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.