Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 14, 2016 2:35 PM
Nov 2015
Loved this epic episode, but as soon as Mirai promised Slegger to make him some of her famous pineapple salad you knew it was over for the dude.

Dozle Zabi died like a man,s ending his troops away so he could face the fiery jaws of death alone. Also him shooting at the Gundam up with nothing but a rifle and the evil psychic specter behind him were so good. This show seems to be ending on a high note.

Also agree that that last scene with the insert song was really really good. This show can be emotionally resonant.
theGreenDeathJul 27, 2016 9:52 PM
Apr 10, 2016 9:17 PM

Jul 2013
Wut? Unless i'm completely forgetting something it feel's like the romance came out of nowhere. So Mirai just get's slapped in the last episode and now he desperately want's the guy's dick?
May 21, 2016 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
As many have asked before, where the hell were the signs of Mirai's romantic interest in the blonde lech? Talk about shoe-horned - an ass-pull, even.
May 27, 2016 3:58 AM

Jul 2008
Whoa whoa whoa, Mirai X Sleggar? That was....completely out of nowhere.

Holy crap does that mean Bright was option C? Oh man now I feel bad for the guy.

RIP Sleggar.
Jun 20, 2016 6:37 AM

Nov 2011
War is not only an element which forms a corollary to the story, but in this episode becomes the protagonist of a nice piece of the story, I like this choice in the script. Amuro never fails and even this time it does, but the focus is magnetized by the unexpected relationship blossomed seemingly in an instant between Mirai and Sleggar. In addition to Char, he saw another comet in this anime series. However, his passing has left a small trace. About this story, it is giving a tangible signal to the relationship between Bright and Mirai. Dozle albeit evil, he has proven to be a character who deserved respect.
Jul 14, 2016 3:57 AM

Jun 2010
theGreenDeath said:
Loved this epic episode, but as soon as Mirai promised Slegger to make him some of her famous pineapple salad you knew it was over for the dude.

LOL.

When Slegger was first introduced, I thought hey wait a minute... he kind of looks and acts like a Roy Fokker rip off... ahh.. hey wait a minute.. Gundam came out before Macross... so they copied Slegger? O_O

The whole Mirai X Slegger last minute romance was so random though. When Bright told her he'd wait for her 'after the other guy'.. I thought he was talking about the EX fiance creepy guy... which really threw me off...

Still upset why do they have to killing off all the bros... wasn't Ryu-san enough?

:*(

Jul 16, 2016 1:41 AM

Dec 2015
@remrin
Ishiguro, the Macross director, said that he really liked the character of Sleggar, so he wanted to have someone like him in Macross, but also with a more significant participation in the series.

Then Fokker started his own legacy (in later Macross series).

About the romance, it was more like a crush from the young and impressionnable Mirai, stucked in a closd environment during a tense situation. I think.
Jul 24, 2016 3:19 PM

May 2012
Damn that ending :/ pretty intense episode as expected! Let's see what happens next!
Oct 11, 2016 10:56 PM

Jun 2013
It was a good episode, and i guess im a little sad that he died, but what the hell was up with that romace? There was no buildup and Mirai was so out of character, and really? She fell in love with the guy that slapped the shit out of her? Cmon Mirai, you're so much better than that.
Jan 6, 2017 3:10 PM

Feb 2010
After watching this episode I immediately came here to see what I missed to suddenly get to Mirai having feelings for slugger. Turns out you all have been asking the same thing for 7 years.
Jan 8, 2017 4:27 AM

Dec 2015
Already wrote that above but:

@Karagah Just a poor girl under pressure, feeling the need to find some reassuring anchor. Under extreme circumstances can appear extreme passions (it is even more understandable here, since this is war and this "love" is probably nothing more than the first crush of a teenager, blown up to greater proportions because of what I wrote before).

I am also sure a lot of people have seen boys or girls around them acting "out of character" once they became stupidly enamoured of someone.

PS: but I won't hide that there is this tendency for the director to not build anything sentimental before such "love" situation (though the later case in this series and the next ones have explicitedly expressed origins).

edit @Karagah : well, there are some things or moments between Bright and her who are probably the fundations of the future.
The random guy is arboring a certain self-confiance and is a sort of representation of "the man" , this can awaken something when you are yourself going a bit down. (sorry, I don't thinbk I managed to write it correctly in english)
Rei_IIIJan 9, 2017 2:45 AM
Jan 9, 2017 2:37 AM

Feb 2010
Rei366 said:
Just a poor girl under pressure, feeling the need to find some reassuring anchor. Under extreme circumstances can appear extreme passions (it is even more understandable here, since this is war and this "love" is probably nothing more than the first crush of a teenager, blown up to greater proportions because of what I wrote before).

Fair enough. I understand how it might have happened.

The thing is, we just had a whole mini-arc of sorts dedicated to mirei's love life when her fiance showed up and then she basically gave him the middle finger. Bright has been supporting her throughout this whole "extreme circumstances" thing from the beginning and she has developed no feelings towards him.

But then, one random guy walks up to her and slaps her and now she ends up falling for him so hard that (after he dies) she starts crying like she just lost her family. I just feel like there were so many other things could have happened that would#ve made way more sense.
Apr 25, 2017 7:01 AM

Feb 2012
The romance between Mirai and Sleggar did come out of nowhere, but it's not as unfounded as people here are making it seem. Mirai's problem with Cameron is that he wasn't there to support her when she needed him, and he wasn't willing to get himself personally involved in danger. What makes Sleggar different is the fact that he fully capable of handling himself. Bright requires Mirai's support so much that she doesn't see him as a viable means of support. Cameron always talked about how his father would help and not about what he would do. Sleggar is the only guy in the anime who even appears to be able to just shoulder all of Mirai's problems and handle them for her.

I also want to point out that Sleggar was just as surprised about the development and knew exactly what was happening when he saw it. He say a young woman desperately looking for some support in the middle of a war. It was sad to see him go, but he could have survived if the Big Zom didn't explode.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
1 Big Zom kill this episode
66 kills total
Jul 13, 2017 1:54 PM
Jun 2010
M-Ezz said:
Niyawa said:

It's been 5 years since this question was asked.

Yet, no one has any idea about the answer. I'd say it was just the worst episode of the series.

2016 (8 years) And I can confirm that there is still absolutely no answer.

Nine and a half years. I stopped the show after the kiss scene, mad, and searched for answers lol. I have no idea why that pissed me off so much but I can't stand shit like that irl so maybe that's why. Wish slapping women worked in my favor smh.

But anyway, can someone tell me where I can find the subbed version. It's very clear that things are either left out or mistranslated. There are way too many awkward pauses in dialogue and/or followed by weird looks that don't make sense when put in context. There was a scene in the dubbed version when news of Garma's death reached the Zabi family. Someone said to give a moment of silence in prayer for Garma. Right after that sentence, there was a cut to one guy (can't remember who) who gave a side eye like he was in his head saying "wtf?" in which made me die laughing.

There was another scene where Fraw Bow brought Amuro sandwiches in his room to eat while he was working on some tech for Gundam. He ate it after she left but there was just an awkward scene of him eating them for like 15 seconds with no music or any dialogue of thoughts in his head.
aakaidoJul 15, 2017 4:05 AM
Jul 14, 2017 1:31 PM

Dec 2015
@aakaido They're in times of war. The White Base crew is in a very stressfull situation. Mirai saw a reliable adult man and she ended up having a "crush" for him. It's quite simple and in reality, everyone knows it. ;)

The USAs and UK each got a BrD box of the full show, of course with the original voicetrack. You can also pirate it (KissAnime had it last time I searched for the movies).

edit @aakaido Understood, sorry.
(someone above pointed out that Bright wasn't the victim of this fallout because he couldn't be seen as a good support, relying himself often on her.

laughterjones said:
Romance fueled by war, and the need for security. For both of them.

Exactly ! Thanks for writing it this well.

@FMmatron Thank you. (although it could be seen as an excuse to justify Tomino's poor ability to inspire emotion in the viewers, I still think the situation wasn't necessarily created as some audience trigger)
Rei_IIIApr 4, 2018 10:15 AM
Jul 15, 2017 4:04 AM
Jun 2010
Rei366 said:
@aakaido They're in times of war. The White Base crew is in a very stressfull situation. Mirai saw a reliable adult man and she ended up having a "crush" for him. It's quite simple and in reality, everyone knows it. ;)

Sorry, that doesn't cut it. In no way do you suddenly develop a crush and cry so hard over a man you barely know or have any interaction with and just slapped the shit out of you the episode before. Not even with anime logic. Though they work together, they're still for all practical purposes strangers who've barely had 20 words spoken between them. With your logic, you'd think she'd go to Bright who's literally been the most "reliable adult man" and gotten them thru every shitty and perilous situation next to Amuro, who's really a child (that'd be [almost] gross). No matter how you view it, that development came out from further out than Side 3, and was just plain awkward and misplaced, like every romance development in this show.
Jul 15, 2017 9:14 AM
Jun 2010
Rei366 said:

edit @aakaido Understood, sorry.
(someone above pointed out that Bright wasn't the victim of this fallout because he couldn't be seen as a good support, relying himself often on her.

If relying on her means making her do her job, then I guess.... But outside of that, I don't think he "relied" on her, but moreso the other way around as she wouldn't know what to do without his commands (as evidenced in the episode where Bright got "sick" and she was left in charge of the ship as a clueless leader, getting on Sayla's nerves about what should she do in this or that situation.)
Aug 27, 2017 5:05 AM
Aug 2017
This is the first time a show, especially an anime that has me so baffled about what's going on... that I have to google... and post a reply here... weirdest romance ever...
Dec 14, 2017 4:23 PM
Jul 2017
Romance fueled by war, and the need for security. For both of them.
Apr 2, 2018 4:20 AM

Nov 2016
Well,one could already tell since his introduction that Sleggar always had the flag above him ,charismatic and daring characters like him just tend to bite the dust rather sooner than later, but after his scene with Mirai it was really inevitable,preferably with taking down Big Zam.

And it was a good way to send him off,even tho the romance context may appeared random and useless for the viewers to feel anything, it's still something that can indeed happen,like @Rei366 explained.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
FMmatronApr 2, 2018 4:29 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 28, 2018 8:23 PM
May 2016
QUE CARAJOS?! I mean... WTF WITH MIRAI? He slapped you and suddenly fall in with him??! Oh god
And what's going on with Bright?
Jan 24, 2019 8:53 PM
Jan 2017
Poor Lt. Slugger, the second he pulled out the ring I was like 'HE BE DEAD'. Feel bad that I assumed he was going to a spy when he was introduced but the hole Sleggar and Mirai romance was rubbish. This anime has weird issue with force romance. Amuro seemed to quickly have a with for Lalah and before that Kai out of nowhere had a thing for an actual Zeon spy.
Feb 16, 2019 12:02 PM

Apr 2014
Did ppl really not see Sleggar and Mirai romance? It was clear as day with the interactions they had in passing.
Mar 17, 2019 6:33 PM

Feb 2017
The only redeeming quality to Mirai and Slegger's ridiculous lovestory this episode is that it mirrors the theme of "men at war leaving things to women before going to die" that occurred with Dozle and Zerra on the Zeon side.
Sep 1, 2019 2:48 PM

Jul 2012
W T F??
Mirai and Sleggar?? Rly?? I'm speechless :#
I even paused the epi for a minute to let the information """"""sink in""""""
Why, you say... Don't you get it?

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Sep 7, 2019 9:36 PM

Apr 2014
well knew Slegger was gonna die from the start so im not surprised one bit that it happened here especially since mirai all of a sudden started to like him but even then i found that obvious since Slegger first showed up and how he acted with mirai and how sihe acted like she didnt like it (but of course she did lol) then the slap was the set off for mirai to fall for him

as she didnt want the other guy cause he was weak and she never had anyone act that way with her like Slegger did and what she wanted was someone strong so yeah thats that but still imo still dumb but all in all it was all for "trying" to make Slegger's death more dramatic which was the main point cause there's no way no one thought he wasnt gonna die it was way to obvious just like mirai was gonna end up falling for him
DazeFireSep 7, 2019 9:42 PM
"one step at a time"
Oct 21, 2019 10:29 AM

Nov 2011
I liked the use of Ima wa Oyasumi.
Dec 30, 2019 9:42 AM

May 2015
And here I thought the things between Bright and Mirai are finally starting to move forward, he cared so much about her wellbeing and all. But Slegger? Seriously? Lame romantic twist just for the sake of crying Mirai at the end. As if no one can cry for him without romance. I don't even know if I want to root for Mirai/Bright from now on, it seems so messed up. 35 episodes of slow and careful build-up and it was snatched away by the dude who appeared like 5 episodes ago, poor Bright. He should have just slapped her himself earlier, lol.
Jan 7, 2020 12:21 PM
May 2018
moodie said:
Did ppl really not see Sleggar and Mirai romance? It was clear as day with the interactions they had in passing.

Care to point out these "clear as day" interactions? Sleggar slapped her and Mirai somehow fell for him LOL.
Jan 7, 2020 12:24 PM
May 2018
Ten said:
And here I thought the things between Bright and Mirai are finally starting to move forward, he cared so much about her wellbeing and all. But Slegger? Seriously? Lame romantic twist just for the sake of crying Mirai at the end. As if no one can cry for him without romance. I don't even know if I want to root for Mirai/Bright from now on, it seems so messed up. 35 episodes of slow and careful build-up and it was snatched away by the dude who appeared like 5 episodes ago, poor Bright. He should have just slapped her himself earlier, lol.

Agreed. I liked the Bright and Mirai pairing but after this, Bright deserves better than to be a rebound/third option behind her fiancé and Sleggar.
Mar 4, 2020 1:39 PM

May 2018
Yup, it was inevitable.

RIP, bitch slapper
Mar 4, 2020 1:39 PM

May 2018
TheKing528 said:
moodie said:

Care to point out these "clear as day" interactions? Sleggar slapped her and Mirai somehow fell for him LOL.

It must be Stockholm Syndrome xD
Mar 5, 2020 10:01 AM
May 2018
Byniavo said:
TheKing528 said:

It must be Stockholm Syndrome xD

Hahahaha I guess you're right!
May 16, 2020 10:27 PM
Feb 2016
I have no idea where that romance came from but honestly, it's not that big of a deal. Everything else was pretty great.
Sep 25, 2020 10:44 AM

Nov 2019
Oh..........epic episode
uh Sleggar u died on me jst when i became attached to u

next episode now
Nov 7, 2020 6:42 PM

Aug 2017
So, Sleggar and Mirai were in a relationship.....Besides a scene, there was not much development in that. I don't know why it was added except to create drama after Sleggar death. Even his death was not cool. I must say that the series is very predictable when someone will die.

Dozle's death was much better, he died like a soldier!

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 1, 2021 11:41 PM
Feb 2020
I was thinking when Cameron-san waved goodbye and got friendzoned. You deserve better Cam. Mirai is High Maintenance and Flaky as f.

Can you imagine if they got together... every day she'd give him (or any one endless stress with her worrying... Matilda called her out on it... and Mirai admitted she worries about every thing including things she doesn't need to worry about) In a marriage (and the way she was speaking to Cameron in public is an indication of this) she would be constantly making her husband go: JFC give me a break willya

So I was relieved for Cameron he got friendzoned and he doesn't need to spend any more time thinking about proving himself to some one who is so indecisive and as we have seen this ep... changes her mind like the wind

I mean how does Mirai's heart work? Wow where were the super strong feels for Bright when bright was sick or needed some emotional support during some difficult times for him on the bridge. She just walks past and over her team mates who she's been through so much with from the start who are all lying down in that corrider injured like she's walking past a row of sacks of potatoes.

I was joking saying... wow, she'll be on to Amuro next episode after he broke the news to her and she sort of held him and then she staggered off.

In Mirai's defense I can see how maybe she could have developed more than a mild concern for him after the number of times he put his hand on her. I can see how the attention from a man who was openly fliring with her like Slegger was could have made her laugh a bit with the other girls and feel some things she maybe hadn't felt in a while... and how she appreciated it when Slegger helped her keep hiding (running away) from her engagement with Cameron.

But going completely head over heels in love with Slegger from just that?

Like Slegger said, she's very young and has yet to experience many things in life... it was a very polite way for Slegger to say... Mirai has the emotional age and emotional stability of a delinquent schoolgirl who takes time out of her studies for the entrance exam to go to middle school to be a high drama protag in a shoujo LN.

She's flaky as f. Can't make decisions. And has Daddy issues. That's the best I've Got.

[In their meeting with Earth Federation HQ One of the admirals said how they were happy to do anything for her because of who her father was... I bet her father was the former head of The Earth Federation ... he would have had to be some one with great authority, great power or great influence for the admirals of the Federation to say such a thing... If you watched Mirai's face when they brought up the subject of her father and if you've watched how Mirai is always most confident when some one else tells her what to do and how Slegger noticed that Mirai was never going to acknowledge anything until some one disciplined her like a child.. these observatios alltogether are my source for making the bold statement Mirai has Daddy Issues. or as Slegger said to Cameron, don't let her speak to you like that, take command. Then Cam said he was trying to talk it out with her peacefully. And Slegger said you're gonna have to prove it.

As seen this ep: Bright's love confession had absolutely 0% impact on Mirai. He's gonna have to get a bit more hands on in his approach.
Mar 8, 2021 9:09 AM

Jul 2017
The Mirai x Sleggar romance was seriously awful. The only way I can make sense of it is that Mirai wants a tough guy in contrast to Cameron, but yeah I don't know. It felt forced, seemingly just there to foreshadow his death and give him a slight amount of extra depth. A few Gundam series do this kind of thing, and I don't really like it. Just work with the character beforehand.

That said, I really liked this episode. Sleggar was contrasted with Dozle, both sacrificing themselves for their cause. I felt like Dozle was more honorable or at least more devoted, to a ferocious extent. His anger impacted onto Amuro in a psychedelic display that also helps the viewer see the Newtype aspect growing. Sleggar's ship getting crushed was truly frightening.
Aug 3, 2021 6:33 PM

Oct 2012
BlackWing1977 said:
This is the first time a show, especially an anime that has me so baffled about what's going on... that I have to google... and post a reply here... weirdest romance ever...

People specifically making accounts just to question this totally out of nowhere romance is the best indicitator of it being random as fuck. They just threw that in there to have somebody crying for him at the end. What the hell, that was super lame. And way too obvious too.

Sleggar's sacrifice itself was pretty cool, but he wasn't there long enough for me to care honestly. That romance part dragged the episode down so much for me, lol. And it makes me think of Mirai as a terrible woman to be with. You either throw yourself into danger to win her heart and die trying or you're being called a useless bitch, lmao.

The Big Zam was fucking SCARY though. Imagine that thing going into mass production, it was melting battleships and mobile suits like crazy.

What also surprised me was Dozle's demonic aura that Amuro saw. Wonder if that's due to his contact with Lalah, or if the Zabi family is just that scary.
Mar 16, 2022 6:30 PM

Jun 2009
LMFAO

when the fuck did mirai start liking sleggar
Jul 15, 2022 3:28 PM
Mar 2019
what? did i miss something? when did this happen? was getting slapped by a chad all it took? jfc. first it was fraw, then amuro's mom, now even her. women in this show aint shit

if she still ends up with bright in the end im gonna lose my shit
Nov 19, 2022 12:25 PM
Nov 2022
WHY WAS SLEGGAR SO OFF MODEL ALL EPISODE?? I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD
Nov 27, 2022 11:29 PM

May 2019
Now see I felt bad for Cameron, then shipped Mirai and Bright, but uh...Sleggar and Mirai was so out of left field, Weird arc but okay. Sleggar sure did go out with class though. Awesome episode with the action and battles, I wonder what that demonic thing was that Amuro saw.
Jan 18, 2023 8:22 PM
Nov 2020
The way into Mirai's heart is a bitch slap across the face. Maybe I'll try that next time. Other then that good episode.
May 19, 2023 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
so when did Miria start to like law cause he slapped her once and next ep she likes him. also meh deaths never cared for either 2. mire is a slut confirmed and bright doesn't care that much
May 19, 2023 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
is this a spoiler for future entries if so im kinda mad like I come here to read discussions of the episode not future episode or series
Jun 22, 2023 8:59 PM
Feb 2021
Very out of nowhere romance plot. I guess Mirai liked that dude, couldn't ever tell since she seemed like she didn't really like him.

Aumaro continues his journey into the realm of drugs, this time with some interesting visuals. Don't really know what's up with Char's friend and how she'll fight, maybe she can psychic a Gundam.

This show's gotten really good as of late, which is kinda impressive given how pretty boring and dated it was before. Still some problems with the story telling being a bit all over the place, but for the most part its compelling.
Aug 3, 2023 2:48 AM

Jul 2017
the romance between mirai and sleggar had literally no sense, pretty bad episode
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Oct 22, 2023 6:40 AM
Oct 2023
This whole Sleggar/Mirai subplot has been the worst part of the show so far. Glad its over now. Good riddance, Sleggar. I hope any spin-offs you will inevitably appear in are unimportant story-wise so i can skip'em.

2 Zabis down, 3 to go.
HadToDoItOct 22, 2023 6:47 AM
Nov 4, 2023 10:44 AM

Jan 2019
Trying to convince me Mirai x Sleggar was a thing with no previous build-up has got to be the most obvious death flag ever.

Like Mirai already has two better love interests and Sleggar bitch slapped her two episodes ago. Talk about drama for the sake of drama.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

65 by darthtruder »»
Apr 19, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Apr 6, 2008

59 by KitsuFrost »»
Feb 22, 11:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.