Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 22, 2017 3:34 PM
Sep 2011
Why didn't they take the plot of the original series and handle it in Movie with this beautiful art and animation style ? If they did like that, this movie would be an all-time classic like EoE and Akira but with this new plot... it is just a mediocre spin-off... I gave it 8/10 for just gorgeous art and animation.
Nov 1, 2017 2:35 AM

Jul 2011
My short review:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1408491&show=0#msg52875605

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Nov 22, 2017 7:02 PM
Oct 2017
I do see this film as more of a companion piece to the original anime. You really do need to watch the original film. Mostly because so much of the emotional groundwork is made in the 39-episode show. This, feels like an epilogue; taking all the themes from the show and putting them to work in a 90 min "Golden Ending" where we finally get what we want: LESBIANS!

I do like the idea that this is a world in which Utena already won and unlike the more cynical, darker world of the tv anime, it's a lot more hopeful: Utena basically returns fully formed (and very clearly sexually attracted to Anthy from the get go), Anthys show more agency than she ever did in the show, Touga actually is the prince he pretended he was in the show, and Akio is no longer the manipulative bastard, but instead the sniveling coward then anime always hinted he was. And finally, both Anthy and Utena are able to make It out of an incredibly toxic world and take their chances as Adults. Also that car shit is bonkers--but whatevs, I like crazy.
Mar 18, 2018 9:14 AM

Jul 2016
Hey! That'(wa)s pretty good!

It looks better and it expands the themes and message of the series, the soundtrack is better, the two duels here are actually engaging, unlike the TV show. It tries to experiment even more than the main series... which results in this movie being a complete mess for many, but that isn't a problem for me.

However, it tries to put as many content as it can in a ninety minutes long film, and that's something that one can notice very easily. It's also missing some of the series' themes (albeit not as important as the ones shown in the movie) so it has less substance that the TV series. And they changed Akio's voice, so he doesn't sound like a sex god anymore

But anyways, if you more or less understood the TV show and its symbols, you're pretty much ready to go and I can assure that, if that's the case, you'll have a pleasant experience.

8/10
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
May 10, 2018 3:42 PM

Jan 2013
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
Shiori explodes, that's all I needed outta this.

This (she has the best duel theme tho)
Dec 15, 2018 1:11 PM

May 2008
I... was honestly speechless for most of this movie. Dat car part just smacked me hard without even buying dinner first...

But, dear goodness, does Akio's movie voice suck. The dude doesn't seem to know how to change the pitch of his voice or something.

Rex_Ivan said:
In the last episode of the series, Utena awakens Anthy's true self and then "vanishes", leaving Anthy behind. Anthy then takes it upon herself to leave the academy, shrugging off her powerless brother, and going on a search for Utena. I think the movie is where Anthy finds Utena.

I think after the events of the last episode, Utena became trapped in a similar prison as Anthy had been throughout the series. She is stuck in an altered version of the academy (after all, what is "the academy", if not a vast towering infrastructure meant for keeping people in line to a set of arbitrary rules). While there, Utena is lost in her own mind, haunted by the ghosts of her memories, forgetting herself and what she did for Anthy, forgetting what she is truly capable of.

Anthy is more aggressively pursuing Utena, because she is NOT actually held by the academy's spell anymore. She is truly herself, and remembers what has happened before. She also knows the kind of trap Utena is stuck in now. Anthy knows she has to play through the "game", go through the motions to get Utena to remember herself on her own. That has always been a theme of the series: others can aid you, but ultimately you must find the strength to save yourself. That's why Anthy still does what she does. She has to remind Utena of who she is.

That's also why the side characters can't recall past events. The academy makes you forget. Until they find the will to leave, they will be forever doomed to repeat their actions.

In the movie, Anthy's brother is more frail and small of stature. This is because he's already been defeated. The confrontation at the end is his last struggling gasp to try to bring Anthy under his control again. In the end, of course, Anthy and Utena plow through the illusions and escape together into adulthood, into a world without the BS arbitrary rules to bind them, where they can make their own path together under the stars in the real sky.

I really like this theory. It's something that I was slowly starting thinking too; that Anthy and Utena's roles seemed to have switched. It certainly explains things.

The movie allows both characters to come full circle and that's pretty awesome.
May 25, 2019 1:42 PM

Sep 2016
the series was way better with the character designs. this had better background art and cinematic creativity. it has a lot of potential... as a tv show. anthy and utena’s love was too rushed for my taste and in the show, there was gradual build-up to how close they were. if the original was as queer, it’d be perfect.
but there are some details i like, including utena flirting with the girls and stuff that couldn’t make it to the original.
Jun 3, 2019 1:08 PM

Aug 2017
Ridiculously beautiful movie. In my opinion, it stands on one level with EoE for its artistic beauty and the worthy message embodied in a symbolic vessel (I hope my comparison with EoE won't hurt the pride of the creators, because I consider it the pinnacle of cinematography and animation).
Jun 9, 2019 2:58 PM

Apr 2014
The new voice actor for Akio ruined my whole fantasy. ugh
As for the movie.. at least it was beautifully done.
Dec 20, 2019 10:34 AM

Aug 2012
Nice Animation direction but good god so much of this was abstract for the sake of being abstract. Watching this with the director's commentary it's interesting to learn how many times he explains the imagery is meant to represent something and just how often it just doesn't really do that. Not in a particularly thoughtful or clear way. Specially the final act.

The story of Utena and Hime leaving behind their dead princes and their dream world of purity to embark on their journey into the real world and adulthood is a great plot and should make for an interesting film. Unfortunately I just couldn't get into it because of it's abstract nature. I had the same issues with series as well personally. I just wish the imagery was a little less obtuse...oh well.
May 6, 2020 9:12 PM

Sep 2014
@BlaizeV were did you get the commentary version? This would seriously be worth it.

So. That happened. The first hour was superior and more straight forward than the series, but wtf the last 20 minutes turned full evangelion. The 90s were a crazy time.

Clitoris car Utena. Nuff said.

Will copy paste my notes later.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 7, 2020 2:56 AM

Aug 2012
Comander-07 said:
@BlaizeV were did you get the commentary version? This would seriously be worth it.

So. That happened. The first hour was superior and more straight forward than the series, but wtf the last 20 minutes turned full evangelion. The 90s were a crazy time.

Clitoris car Utena. Nuff said.

Will copy paste my notes later.

It's on the official Nozomi Entertainment Blu Ray release in the USA. It is also on the [Zero] Blu Ray rip of the film if you know where to look
Nov 10, 2020 2:31 PM
Sep 2015
Honestly? I understand the movie. I think I really get the grasp of it, and I'm not saying this to act like I'm a smart bitch.

I believe this movie and the TV series have multiple, maybe countless interpretations. However, I'm pretty sure this movie was talking about life after death.

The last minutes were talking about going to the outside world, which is the real world where we came from. Jury, Miki and Saionji weren't real. Imo they symbolize the archons that pretend they know you (taking the form of loved ones such as friends or family members) and their goal is to keep you trapped in the fake world.

That's why they lied to Anthy, so she'd come back to the old world and be again a living corpse.

The ending with Utena and Anthy killing the prince is a parallel of humans killing god (aka the Demiurge in Gnostic thought)

I think this movie makes perfect sense if you study Gnosticism and think of Dios as the fake god that keeps people trapped in this game of drama and dueling.
Jan 5, 2021 7:49 PM

May 2016
JOELbedulla said:
Honestly? I understand the movie. I think I really get the grasp of it, and I'm not saying this to act like I'm a smart bitch.

I believe this movie and the TV series have multiple, maybe countless interpretations. However, I'm pretty sure this movie was talking about life after death.

The last minutes were talking about going to the outside world, which is the real world where we came from. Jury, Miki and Saionji weren't real. Imo they symbolize the archons that pretend they know you (taking the form of loved ones such as friends or family members) and their goal is to keep you trapped in the fake world.

That's why they lied to Anthy, so she'd come back to the old world and be again a living corpse.

The ending with Utena and Anthy killing the prince is a parallel of humans killing god (aka the Demiurge in Gnostic thought)

I think this movie makes perfect sense if you study Gnosticism and think of Dios as the fake god that keeps people trapped in this game of drama and dueling.

I, too, thought that the movie was about the afterlife, though what I've understood was a bit different than the conclusion you've come to. :0

Since the show is good at telling multiple narratives all at once, I thought that one of the ways to interpret the story is about God and the afterlife but in a more literal sense.

There is a "God" in the form of Dios, however the Dios in Akio does not exists. This is why people started seeing Dios in Utena, even though they have never seen the person Dios before. This makes Utena Jesus like, since she embodies God. This is also why Akio who's dressed as the "prince" looks different from Dios, when it came towards the end of the movie. This is because Akio, being the Lucifer figure was posing as "God".

I think the students; student council included, represents the humans who're at risk to being taken by Lucifer. Since Akio went around making people do his bidding over the promise of "Eternity". Even though we come to find out "Eternity" is actually eternal suffering, as seen from Anthy.

The school can be seen as "real life", or hell. Which explains why before Utena came along, people were obsessing over their past, like eternal suffering. After being betrayed by Anthy like how Judas betrayed Jesus, Utena dissapears only to return to the school again sometime later. I think Utena's return represents the second coming of Christ. She came to take those who were worthy to Heaven, and those who are not will go to Hell. This is why Shiori as a car, crashed. Because by the time of the film, she was still an unchanged person.

I believe the talk about "returning to where we came from" is actually talking about Heaven, or to returning to the Creator. With Utena essentially freeing everyone, eveyrone disappeared from the school, revealing the building's true form. The beautiful school that was a lie created by Lucifer.

So yeah, TL;DR I think it's more so about rejecting Satan to be saved by God.
MonushaJan 5, 2021 10:35 PM
Jan 6, 2021 2:55 PM
Sep 2015
Monusha said:
After being betrayed by Anthy like how Judas betrayed Jesus, Utena dissapears only to return to the school again sometime later. I think Utena's return represents the second coming of Christ.

As a student of Theology, let me tell you that that is a wonderful interpretation.

Monusha said:
I believe the talk about "returning to where we came from" is actually talking about Heaven, or to returning to the Creator.

Agreed. That's what I was trying to say too (even tho my definition of Creator may be different from yours)
May 18, 2021 11:22 PM

Jul 2016
I know it was supposed to be a serious scene but god, I laughed so hard at Akio falling off the balcony while having a breakdown xD
Now seriously, it's a real shame his character is such a loser in this version. Main-Series Akio was a bastard but an interesting and decently written one at least. Movie Akio is just a weirdo who drugs and rapes his sister in her sleep. Enough said.

Well... I got the yuri most people acknowledge Utena for but at what cost? Cast was more bland than ever, storytelling as well as the relationship between Utena and Anthy felt rushed as hell and sorry but my brain started malfunctioning the moment Utena turned into a damn car. Too much surrealism for me.

3/10 - Oh boy. They sure smoked a strong one before making this movie. Art; OST and Utena's "ikemen" design being the only things I liked.
SouthRzVaMay 18, 2021 11:30 PM
Jan 5, 2022 5:28 PM

Sep 2013
What the fuck was this?
Oct 16, 2022 3:06 PM
May 2015
I feel like I need an adult. What did I just watch? *sigh* I gave the fabled Utena a try and it just didn't pan out.
Feb 13, 2023 7:13 PM

Apr 2019
Worst anime ever made
Jul 30, 2023 4:23 PM
Feb 2021
Himemiya: "I decided this by my own will."
Himemiya: also needed Utena to push her to do anything.

Sad they didn't really change that aspect from the TV show. Story is still a mess. Really, if it weren't for all of the complicated and admittedly really good symbolism, Utena as a series would just be about a girl sacrificing herself to save another girl who ended up needing saving because she sacrificed herself. Also, if this is a sequel, which is up to interpretation, then Himemiya recreated the world where she was the rose bride, so who's to say she won't do it again.

Basically the same as the series, just with cooler visuals, more nuanced characters, and 100% less Nanami. Utena really wants to be Evangelion, but Eva actually has thought out themes. Oh well, it's still a pretty good film regardless of how self destructive I think the ideas behind it are.  
Oct 5, 2023 7:41 AM

Aug 2023
i finished the series and then immediately watched the movie... ngl it made my brain explode. i went with the expectation that it would have the same level of symbolism or even lighter but this was wayyyy too much for me.

I need to rewatch this at a later date because i didnt understand a lot of things. it all felt too rushed and high paced and i aint the brightest bitch

however seeing cow Nanami was one of the funniest things, I didnt expect her to make a repearance like that I honestly thought she just didnt exist here lmao

𝑩𝒖𝒕 π’šπ’π’– 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 π’Œπ’π’π’˜ 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒔 π’…π’‚π’“π’Œ 𝒂𝒔 π’π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’• π’Šπ’”, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’ π’”π’‰π’Šπ’π’† 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒏 π’˜π’Šπ’π’ π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’ π’“π’Šπ’”π’†.
Oct 9, 2023 11:25 PM
Des31

Oct 2020
I'm more confused with this version then the anime one but atleast that last scene is worth the watch
Oct 21, 2023 1:02 PM
Oct 2020
45:33 I was just going to be sad that there might be no Nanami lol.
59:43 so Touga died drowning? So shiori was doing it with a ghost? Who should I be more impressed by? Shiori sleeping even with ghosts or Touga for sleeping with girls even as a ghost.
1:04:03 she turned into a car wtf? Utena was a car all along? RGU was a car anime all along? WTF
Wait then Shiori turned into a car too wtf?

Ok that was....fun? I guess. We got the yuri for those like yuri. We got racing at the end cause why not I guess?
The main changes were touga and Akio I guess. Also Nanami doesn't exist and is just a cow.

7/10. Good alternative extra for fans of the anime.
Jan 13, 11:50 PM
Sep 2020
(English is not my first language LOL)

I didn't understand shit, I went for the movie a day after finishing the anime and I will say the movie is 100% more complex than the anime.

I still love it despite not understanding. And so I will write about what I thought of it.

HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS MANAGE TO BE A RETELLING AND A SEQUEL AT THE SAME TIME. IKUHARA OF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE THE STORY JUST WRITE A FUCKING SEQUEL.

I want to believe it's a sequel because Anthy doesn't have her glasses and has her hair down, just like at the end of RGU, Anthy is also more assertive with what she wants and Akio is dead (Deserved it).

If you want to look at it as a stand-alone movie, it doesn't work well, the story of some characters is rushed (Touga) and some are not even used (Miki). Also, as a stand-alone movie, the second half where Utena TURNS INTO A FUCKING CAR doesn't make sense (Technically it also doesn't make sense in any context, but we are watching Symbolism The Movie so I give it a pass).

So, how well does it work as an RGU sequel? Pretty good. It shows us how Utena and Anthy can be what they truly are: Human (Even if Utena TURNS INTO A CAR). After they lose their princes, Utena and Anthy are no longer bound to a system that turns them into princesses. One could say that Utena wasn't a princess, she was a Prince, but even if she was a Prince, she still was part of a system that oppressed Anthy. Anthy tried to oppose the system by saving her brother, by doing that, she became the Rose Bride and turned her brother into a horrible person. She gained nothing, only backlash from the corrupt system that she lived in.

When Utena mentions escaping the world, she means to escape the system, instead of being princes or princesses, they choose to be human. Utena turning into a car is a metaphor because Anthy uses her to escape the system, and they do, finally fulfilling the promise they made at the end of the anime.

Did I understand the movie? No, I do not, I did my best, and I failed, but now that Utena and Anthy have broken out of the world, they can love each other without one having a superior position, a prince must always save the princess, but they are neither prince or princess, they are human, so now both can help each other equally.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» TV series vs movie

Wannabiteme - Jul 22, 2015

8 by chriskris91 »»
Oct 18, 2022 4:04 PM

» Architecture of Adolescence Apocalypse

gaguri - Feb 3, 2009

6 by Etceteral »»
Oct 14, 2015 3:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.