Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Apr 16, 2014 3:02 AM

May 2012
@ronri
Thanks for clearing up my confusion about the ghosts. Not sure if it's the subs I'm reading but even re-watching that scene, I still didn't gather that from it. I saw movie 2 yesterday and liked it better(mainly due to being more character driven like you said) so I'll most likely keep watching until the end.
May 4, 2014 12:02 PM
Nov 2011
sooo.... i guess i might not get an answer from this until maybe a year since this has been out for quite some time now but still need to ask.....

I haven't read the novel for this and i don't think i will (because i can't read something long.....) so there are many points that i don't understand.... and i don't know whether i will get the answer from the other movies.... but still going to ask.....

1) What is the relationship between the three of them?
2) artificial arm? or is she as a whole, a doll??
3) Why was the guy with glasses "asleep" for the whole time?..... they say taken away.... as in soul?? can the girl do that when she was given the power by another guy (right?)
4) If the floating things were ghosts.... how come Shiki can 'kill' them?

i will be thankful if someone could answer my questions.... thank you >_<
May 4, 2014 11:10 PM

Sep 2011
special-secret said:

The next couple of movies will answer this question very easily (this is the 1st movie in a series of 8 films). As a collective whole though, the three of them work as a paranormal agency and this is just one cases out of many others that they'll be dealing with. ^_^
special-secret said:

She has an artificial left arm, but thematically/symbolically, it's meant to represent how Shiki's character role is based on a shikigami (her name "Shiki" is another reference to this idea). So you thinking if her entire body is like a doll isn't actually far off since you were meant to get the impression that she's like a shikigami. Now the reason why or how she got one will be answered in one of the later movies. I should probably tell you: the first four films are out of order, as the narrative builds itself on top of one another to form a bigger picture as one collective whole.
special-secret said:
3) Why was the guy with glasses "asleep" for the whole time?..... they say taken away.... as in soul?? can the girl do that when she was given the power by another guy (right?)

The girl (Kirie) has the power to create mental suggestions and possess people by taking their souls/consciousness. And no, she didn't get this power from another guy, she was born with the power. What she was given was a second body (the ghostly body that Shiki fought) so she can move around and use her powers more effectively.
special-secret said:

The things floating around Kirie aren't actually ghosts, but more like apparitions based on the remnant memories and emotions of the girls (sort of like an after-image). This was alluded to when Touko talks about them in comparison to the Fujou buildings, and how the strong emotions and memories that were left over created an apparition sort of like an after-image, even after the girls had already died.

I hope that helps! ^_^
ronriMay 4, 2014 11:22 PM
May 11, 2014 9:17 AM
Nov 2011
ronri said:
special-secret said:

The next couple of movies will answer this question very easily (this is the 1st movie in a series of 8 films). As a collective whole though, the three of them work as a paranormal agency and this is just one cases out of many others that they'll be dealing with. ^_^
special-secret said:

She has an artificial left arm, but thematically/symbolically, it's meant to represent how Shiki's character role is based on a shikigami (her name "Shiki" is another reference to this idea). So you thinking if her entire body is like a doll isn't actually far off since you were meant to get the impression that she's like a shikigami. Now the reason why or how she got one will be answered in one of the later movies. I should probably tell you: the first four films are out of order, as the narrative builds itself on top of one another to form a bigger picture as one collective whole.
special-secret said:

The girl (Kirie) has the power to create mental suggestions and possess people by taking their souls/consciousness. And no, she didn't get this power from another guy, she was born with the power. What she was given was a second body (the ghostly body that Shiki fought) so she can move around and use her powers more effectively.
special-secret said:

The things floating around Kirie aren't actually ghosts, but more like apparitions based on the remnant memories and emotions of the girls (sort of like an after-image). This was alluded to when Touko talks about them in comparison to the Fujou buildings, and how the strong emotions and memories that were left over created an apparition sort of like an after-image, even after the girls had already died.

I hope that helps! ^_^

Thank you sooo much, I have just preceded onto the next couple of the movies but there were still some questions, but now you have answered everything.... Thank you >_<
May 11, 2014 1:52 PM

Sep 2011
special-secret said:

Thank you sooo much, I have just preceded onto the next couple of the movies but there were still some questions, but now you have answered everything.... Thank you >_<

No problem! If you ever have other questions, just feel free to ask. ^_^
May 31, 2014 7:29 PM

Dec 2013
The story is quite interesting, and the soundtrack was amazing. I can't wait to watch the other movies. I might end up reading the light novel as well.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jul 2, 2014 10:18 AM

Feb 2013
The animation is beautiful but I didn't understand the story at all.
I heard that there is a chronological order in watching this. It's Haruhi all over again. lool

I guess I'm gonna watch this in release order and I hope the 5th movie lives up to its hype.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jul 2, 2014 11:03 AM

Oct 2012
vhynz said:
The animation is beautiful but I didn't understand the story at all.
I heard that there is a chronological order in watching this. It's Haruhi all over again. lool

I guess I'm gonna watch this in release order and I hope the 5th movie lives up to its hype.
It will.
Jul 19, 2014 8:29 AM

Jun 2014
I thought that was pretty boring and didn't make a lot of sense.
Feels like the whole movie was about 3 or so different long drawn out boring scenes in which people talk a bunch of nonsense, some ghosts float around and eventually somehow get 'killed' and a bunch of girls kill themselves.
At the end the male character talks a bunch of nonsense:
He had a dream about a dragon fly. He wasn't sure if he was watching it, or he actually was it. The dragonfly was flying around and a butterfly came along and tried to follow the dragonfly but it couldn't and got tired and fell on the ground. He thinks the butterfly could have stayed up in the air longer if it just floated around but it discovered it could no longer put up with being light and floating. Thats why it flew.
Riiiiiight. I'm guessing at some point in one of the sequels it's revealed that this character is mentally impaired? About 90% of the dialogue was complete and utter crap like that dream spiel.
Jul 20, 2014 6:13 AM

Sep 2011
Grunkalunka said:
I thought that was pretty boring and didn't make a lot of sense.
Feels like the whole movie was about 3 or so different long drawn out boring scenes in which people talk a bunch of nonsense, some ghosts float around and eventually somehow get 'killed' and a bunch of girls kill themselves.
At the end the male character talks a bunch of nonsense:
He had a dream about a dragon fly. He wasn't sure if he was watching it, or he actually was it. The dragonfly was flying around and a butterfly came along and tried to follow the dragonfly but it couldn't and got tired and fell on the ground. He thinks the butterfly could have stayed up in the air longer if it just floated around but it discovered it could no longer put up with being light and floating. Thats why it flew.
Riiiiiight. I'm guessing at some point in one of the sequels it's revealed that this character is mentally impaired? About 90% of the dialogue was complete and utter crap like that dream spiel.

The amount of vitriol in your post combined with the little amount of explanation behind your criticisms doesn't really help your points though. No offense but the fact that you couldn't make sense of the majority of the story or how it all seemed like utter nonsense, it's fairly indicative that you won't find much else to like about this series beyond this point, especially since this first film sets the general tone of the whole series.

Regarding the dream, it was heavily implied that it served as a premonition of the events that occurred within the film, specifically how Kirie (presented as the butterfly) desired for Mikiya (presented as the dragonfly). She was discontent towards her current state (hence "floating", a form of steadiness representing the stagnancy in her life), but her strong feelings towards him convinced her to try and reach out to him. In the end, she committed suicide (represented by the butterfly tumbling to the ground), because even if she recognized the impossibility of her wish, her death still signified her desire for change while serving as an act of defiance towards her ruined life (represented by the butterfly forcibly attempting flight). If you couldn't get any of that at all even with my explanation, then there's very little else I can do to clear things up for you.
ronriJul 20, 2014 6:39 AM
Jul 21, 2014 12:41 AM

Jun 2014
Your explanation of the dream reminds me of high school English where every tiny little detail has some kind of deep and profound meaning and it couldn't possibly just represent its face value. I guess I like things to be a little simpler in that the butterfly tumbling to the ground did not represent someones suicide, but simply IS the butterflies inability to continue flying having experienced some kind of emergency situation during flight.
Oh I understand their differentiation between the whole being free and flying compared to lame old floating around thing, but I just dont think it works, its a bit lame and not very logical. A butterfly 'floating' IS flying. The fact that it is maintaining controlled navigation through the air with or without maintaining a given altitude, regardless of whether it is described as floating or flying means that it is in fact flying. So there really isint any difference between floating and flying. When the butterfly had its sudden epiphany and decided to fly away instead of float away (presumably after having rectified the in-flight emergency), I guess it didn't realise it was using the same aerodynamic principles to do so (mainly that lift is equal to half rho velocity squared times planform area times the coefficient of lift and the same equation for drag(replacing lift with drag)).
I don't disagree with anything you have said. I'm sure the rest of the series has nothing worth while for me. I'm just surprised because these movies are quite highly rated. Especially movie 5 I think it was.
Jul 21, 2014 2:20 AM

Sep 2011
@Grunkalunka: Thanks for understanding as well as being civil with your reply. I hope my initial reply didn't come across as condescending and if it did, then I apologize for it.
Your explanation of the dream reminds me of high school English where every tiny little detail has some kind of deep and profound meaning and it couldn't possibly just represent its face value. I guess I like things to be a little simpler in that the butterfly tumbling to the ground did not represent someones suicide, but simply IS the butterflies inability to continue flying having experienced some kind of emergency situation during flight.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, it's really that kind of series. While I absolutely love it for that since it has a very philosophical/ponderous approach towards its character nuances and the visual symbolism/metaphors, I recognize that it's definitely not going to click with everyone.

I don't disagree with anything you have said. I'm sure the rest of the series has nothing worth while for me. I'm just surprised because these movies are quite highly rated. Especially movie 5 I think it was.

I will say that the reason why Movies 5 and 7 are rated so highly is because they actually serve as the payoff for all of the buildup in the series (think of them as the two climax of the series).

That said, it should be mentioned that these films aren't so much like Western films where each individual movie are meant to stand out on their own and they just happen to be in the same continuity/series. Yes, they each have their own story but the main overarching story and the character development are carried over throughout the other films as you go along. If anything, instead of just thinking of it as individual films with purely self-contained stories, think of it more as a series comprised of film-length episodes. Personally I feel that it deserves the rating and praise it gets, but it is a dense series at times with an overbearing atmosphere, hence why (like I said), it's not exactly for everyone.
Aug 14, 2014 9:06 AM

Jun 2012
So Shiki likes sexual innuendos. xD Im sure Mikiya will eat his strawberry ice cream all night long.

nseika said:
Out of the story, is it just my luck, or the 500 Mb MKV raw version had terribly low sound volume ? I tried Media Player Classic, hasn't confirmed against other player yet.
The version I just watched had terrible volume. The ost was loud as fuck and the voices were too quiet.
Sep 19, 2014 10:51 PM

Nov 2012
Splendid art and sound. The characters all appear to be potentially interesting once they get developed later on through the sequels. The ED was a very beautiful song and fitting to this chapter.
Oct 12, 2014 3:06 PM

Jan 2013
Animation is superb as expected with ufotable.
Soundtrack is beautiful.

Plot isn't going anywhere though but that's expected with the first movie of a series, I just wish there was at least more to it. However, my biggest issue was the dialogue. It was so cheesy that I had to stop eating Doritos, and I was practically shoving Doritos in my mouth until I had this issue.

8/10

If if it wasn't for that sexually gratifying scene of Shiki eating Ice cream I would have given this a 7.
Oct 13, 2014 11:45 AM

Apr 2013
The OST and animation were brilliant, especially during the time when Shiki is stabbing the ghosts, it literally left me breathless.
Now onto the episode. I'm not sure how to judge it, since it's clearly not a standalone movie and has a lot of things I don't understand which will probably require the seven other films. So for now, I'm giving it a 7 which may change after I finish the series.
Lastly, from a personal standpoint this movie left me feeling a bit sad, a bit more melancholic and a great deal nostalgic. Anyone else feel that way?
Oct 13, 2014 6:42 PM

Sep 2011
R2 said:
Lastly, from a personal standpoint this movie left me feeling a bit sad, a bit more melancholic and a great deal nostalgic. Anyone else feel that way?

You're not alone. Mind you, it does deal with various ideas surrounding suicide, and with the bed-ridden antagonist (Kirie Fujou) actually being portrayed in a sympathetic light, I think that's a perfectly understandable reaction.

I should mention that this film more or less showcases the general tone and atmosphere of the series. It essentially serves as an introduction of the kind of dark yet romanticized vibe of the films without getting too into the history of the characters just yet (which is more of the focus in the 2nd film). Heck, even the formatting of this film's narrative is very reminiscent of classic paranormal/supernatural tropes that are commonly found in the genre.
Nov 3, 2014 3:11 AM

Oct 2013
I really loved the atmosphere of this movie, the music was superb, and it seemed to bring an interesting message. However... I must also admit to being very confused in some respects, as others have mentioned.

I am not a reader of the original books, so hopefully that doesn't pose a problem as I go on to watch the next films.
Nov 3, 2014 8:06 AM

Sep 2011
Starswirl9 said:
I really loved the atmosphere of this movie, the music was superb, and it seemed to bring an interesting message. However... I must also admit to being very confused in some respects, as others have mentioned.

I am not a reader of the original books, so hopefully that doesn't pose a problem as I go on to watch the next films.

Don't worry, this more or less sets the mood and tone of the series by introducing it as a paranormal investigation-style format. The later movies serve to expand on the characters' history/conflicts.
Nov 29, 2014 5:19 AM

May 2014
This is really good, but since it the first episode I didn't understand all. But the answers were really useful :D
ronri said:

So by what I understood that girl had the ability to possess people. She once attempted to commit suicide and then she was given that ghostly body. After Shiki destroyed that body she committed suicide again (successfully this time) because she got to the state she was before and she has nothing left to do. Am I right?
Hibiki07Nov 29, 2014 5:25 AM
Nov 29, 2014 6:30 AM

Sep 2011
Starswirl9 said:

Aside from trivial details, no it shouldn't be a problem.
Dec 11, 2014 3:18 AM

Apr 2009
woooo~ The visuals is amazing. :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2014 12:39 PM

Aug 2014
Just re-watched. I got it this time. To be honest though, understanding what happened never really was very important to me.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Dec 28, 2014 8:41 AM

Apr 2013
fantastic visuals, fantastic atmosphere, fantastic music, bit confusing

this was really good
Dec 29, 2014 12:27 PM

Dec 2014
Ufotable won my heart once again. Im glad i picked this up :D
There’s no hope on the battlefield.
It has nothing but unspeakable despair.
Just a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated.
Yet humanity has never recognized this truth.
And the reason for that is, in every era,
a dazzling hero has blinded people with their legends and prevented them from seeing the evil of bloodshed.
The true nature of humanity has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age!
Dec 29, 2014 12:33 PM
Jun 2014
Charge97 said:

Just wait until you understand more about KnK :) It's really awesome.
Dec 29, 2014 12:34 PM

Dec 2014
xcllnt said:
Charge97 said:

Just wait until you understand more about KnK :) It's really awesome.

Looking forward to it :D Will pick up on the 2nd movie tomorrow. :)
There’s no hope on the battlefield.
It has nothing but unspeakable despair.
Just a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated.
Yet humanity has never recognized this truth.
And the reason for that is, in every era,
a dazzling hero has blinded people with their legends and prevented them from seeing the evil of bloodshed.
The true nature of humanity has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age!
Dec 30, 2014 11:16 AM

Jun 2014
This was fantastic.The story was a bit confusing,though.
Love the visuals, atmosphere and music,
The fight scene was awesome,too.
Can't wait to get my hands on the next movie.
Dec 30, 2014 11:56 AM
Jun 2014
Szadek23 said:
This was fantastic.The story was a bit confusing,though.
Love the visuals, atmosphere and music,
The fight scene was awesome,too.
Can't wait to get my hands on the next movie.

This is intended because the first four movies aren't in a chronological order. If you already liked the first one that much, then you will love the whole series.
Feb 9, 2015 2:32 AM
Jul 2014
Rewatching this great series, I can't believe I forgot how amazing the soundtrack is.
Feb 22, 2015 8:34 AM

Nov 2013
Very pleasing visuals/OST. I think they handled the topic of suicide quite deftly in this one, although it did feel at times that the author was using his characters as a platform for his own babbling. Like he's having a conversation with himself lol.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 8, 2015 12:15 PM

Dec 2013
Ehhh? That was weird.
I hated how uneven the sound was. Dialogues were so quiet while some OST was very loud.
Great art and animation was the only good thing in this movie.
Shiki also has a potential, I hope the other movies are better.
Mar 10, 2015 10:43 AM
Oct 2014
Not gonna lie, this was a little confusing in terms of plot. As far as themes go, it was done fairly well. The visuals and OST were brilliant. I like Shiki already. Touko too.

Hopefully the next movie clears some things up. 7/10
Mar 16, 2015 2:15 PM

Aug 2009
I don't know what I expected... but definitely not ghosts.
The visuals were very pretty and I liked the aura of maturity surrounding the characters.
The story was confusing as hell, however. "Flight?" "Fly?" What?
But best of all: the soundtrack.
6.5/10 (I might change this later once the plot line begins to make sense)
Mar 16, 2015 2:34 PM
Jun 2014
k0k0 said:
The visuals were very pretty and I liked the aura of maturity surrounding the characters.

You will probably enjoy this series, it is fantastic and all your questions will slowly be answered :)
Just keep watching in airing order since it is intended to create confusion until a certain point of the story.
KnK has also a really high rewatch value since there are so many small hints and details you usually don't pay attention to because of the confusing story.
dont_ask_me_idkMar 16, 2015 2:38 PM
Mar 16, 2015 3:46 PM

Aug 2009
xcllnt said:
k0k0 said:

You will probably enjoy this series, it is fantastic and all your questions will slowly be answered :)
Just keep watching in airing order since it is intended to create confusion until a certain point of the story.
KnK has also a really high rewatch value since there are so many small hints and details you usually don't pay attention to because of the confusing story.

So I've been told about the muddled plot line in the first few movies. I hope that resolves soon. Don't worry, it's the airing order I'm watching it in. Trying to keep track of all the events you don't understand can be a bit taxing to the memory, though. So far so good, however!
Mar 28, 2015 1:32 PM

Nov 2014
Rewatched the movie after many years.

Mar 30, 2015 7:19 AM
Jul 2014
We don't choose our path deciding on the sins we carry, but instead must carry our sins on the path we choose.
Good one!
Apr 2, 2015 2:10 AM

Jan 2015
The story is so interesting.

so many visuals and ost moments that reminded me of fate (like the moon shot, the yellow raincoat she wore looked so similar to sabers, and the ost tracks were on point).

I give this an 8/10.

cant wait to watch the next movie. hype.

shiki's hilarious.

edit: holy shit, at the end of the credits, toukou smokes the same cigarettes as Natalia from Fate/Zero. pretty damn sweet.
GrapekiwiApr 2, 2015 2:15 AM
Apr 19, 2015 5:25 PM

Jan 2014
I think it was a great start, hopefully the next one contains a little bit more of action.
May 25, 2015 5:23 PM

Oct 2013
Way better then I was expecting it to be, still got a lot questions to be answered but hey it's the first movie can't complain.

Great OST, Art/Animation and Characters.

Jun 17, 2015 8:21 AM

Jun 2015
Confusing plot, but I found myself too immersed into the beautiful visuals and orgasmic OST to even complain about it.
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Jun 20, 2015 6:30 PM

Feb 2015
Well it looked pretty....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2015 10:01 PM
Jun 2013
If glasses-lad's soul was taken by hospitalized-girl, why didn't Shiki just go to the building and kill her immediately? What were they doing while he was comatose and girls were killing themselves?

In addition to all this, there is no way the police wouldn't have set up a watch on that building if girls kept on jumping off it. I don't understand.

Is any of this explained later on, did I miss it, or is that just the way things are?
Jun 22, 2015 10:14 PM

Sep 2011
Vox_Populi said:
If glasses-lad's soul was taken by hospitalized-girl, why didn't Shiki just go to the building and kill her immediately? What were they doing while he was comatose and girls were killing themselves?

In addition to all this, there is no way the police wouldn't have set up a watch on that building if girls kept on jumping off it. I don't understand.

Is any of this explained later on, did I miss it, or is that just the way things are?

They weren't entirely sure as to what would happen with Mikiya (hence why Touko confronted Kirie in person just to be sure) and when Shiki did try to confront Kirie in the Fujou Building the first time, she was beaten pretty badly. The police did cordon off the area, though it didn't seem like they put people out to watch over it.
Jun 30, 2015 8:33 PM
Jun 2013
ronri said:
Vox_Populi said:

They weren't entirely sure as to what would happen with Mikiya (hence why Touko confronted Kirie in person just to be sure) and when Shiki did try to confront Kirie in the Fujou Building the first time, she was beaten pretty badly. The police did cordon off the area, though it didn't seem like they put people out to watch over it.

Ah, well. Thanks for the response. The police thing definitely is weird.
Jul 2, 2015 10:02 AM

Feb 2015
Interesting enough and the concept of flying and floating with relation to suicide was cool.
Jul 12, 2015 1:05 AM

Oct 2014
5/10 for me. It was really slow and barely anything happened. I mean if you take two anime episodes out of any series, you'd get four times more content than what happened in this one movie. I can't justify giving this movie any higher than 6/10, but I am interested in watching the rest.
Aug 2, 2015 3:32 PM

May 2014
While I do not mind the lack of details or character development, I honestly think the pacing for knk1 is too slow. This would have been better split in two episodes, though as it is they could have shaved 15 minutes and made this more watchable.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Aug 13, 2015 2:24 AM

Jul 2013
Incredibly confusing and anticlimatic. I hope the next movies are better.

One question: why did Shiki saw 8 "ghosts" at the building in the first part of the movie if at that point in time there were only 5 girls that suicided?
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» What would you recommend in the Kara no Kyoukai series if I were to see it in a movie theater?

kihel - Nov 18, 2023

16 by kihel »»
Dec 4, 2023 4:42 PM

» future KnK movies similar to this first one? (spoilers maybe)

yoru987 - Sep 8, 2023

21 by Zane_0 »»
Oct 25, 2023 5:51 PM

» Is the plot of each film self-contained?

StaleNut - Jul 4, 2023

8 by IhnalakoKaina »»
Jul 4, 2023 4:47 AM

» Do you like Shiki?

Stacias - Aug 6, 2022

24 by Merve2Love »»
Jun 30, 2023 8:44 PM

» Help please

ScuzzyBear - Apr 1, 2023

6 by Mr_Ding »»
Apr 1, 2023 1:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.