Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 15, 2010 5:10 PM
Jan 2010
I'm not knocking K-On!. I've seen every episode of K-On! and K-On!! and I love the show. But I don't get how it gains so much attention, while the humor in Minami-ke is at least as good or better (imo of course), yet Minami-ke is vastly ignored when compared to K-On's fanbase.

I laugh more in Minami-ke. I think the situations and set ups for the jokes are better. I like the characters better.

Both shows are dominated by girls. But K-On! is the one fans go crazy over and is even getting an NA license with Bandai...

It makes me sad in a way, because I know if people like K-On, they should be able to like Minami-ke. The only reason I could think of for the difference in popularity...the K-On! girls have instruments? But it's never really been about the music. I just see K-On as a slice of life comedy just like Minami-ke, but under the disguise of a show about music. Anyways, that's my rant.
Aug 15, 2010 5:13 PM

May 2010
I believe it is because of Moe! Perhaps there is only a Ritsu in Minmai-ke and it needs a Yui and Mio rather than a Mugi.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 15, 2010 5:19 PM

Dec 2009
Minami-ke is actually on my PTW - the only reason I discovered K-On first is because I happened to catch it when it was airing. Discovered Minami-ke via MAL quite a bit later.
Aug 17, 2010 5:51 AM

May 2009
I'm rewatching Minami-ke, no doubt its funnier than K-on. A few reasons why K-on is more popular imo:

-The last 2 seasons sucked, compared to the first. And the first is ooooold (2007) so no one really talks about it anymore.

- Minimike is a show about nothing really, theres no real emotion or focus in it, but K-on has a musical focus (barely) and has more drama and bittersweet moments

- K-on has much MUCH better production. From the OPs and EDs to general fluid animation, k-on kills minami-ke. The musical focus also helps here because we have excellently animated concerts and original songs. Theres alot of changes in scenery as well, while mk is set mostly in their house and a stock classroom. Generally, the more money and effort put in, the more comes out

- Moe
Sep 22, 2010 9:53 AM

Oct 2009
Like they said above, it is the moe factor. You never saw sigs and avatars all over the place of minami-ke, but K-on is all everywhere. On many sites they had a poll over which character was the cutest, better, etc.

It is too bad that Minami-ke didn't have a bigger following, but maybe threads like this will generate interest.

Sep 22, 2010 10:01 AM

Mar 2009
K-On was funny? where?
that was just some moe series with a lot of moe and moe above

minami-ke is way better than k-on
Sep 23, 2010 1:11 AM

Aug 2010
Should i watch this? Im not much of a lolicon
Sep 23, 2010 9:20 AM

Dec 2007
You should absolutely watch Minami-ke.

At least the first season.

I won't blame you for missing Okawari or Okaeri, but the first season is a must.
Sep 23, 2010 9:22 AM

Jul 2010
+10 to OP...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2010 9:30 AM

May 2009
Zukz_Loli_Thighs said:
K-On was funny? where?
that was just some moe series with a lot of moe and moe above

minami-ke is way better than k-on
Just watched ep 9 of minami ke and fcuk man after watching K-on it was a struggle to watch this. Don't know how you can find this funny and K-on not, first season is some of the funniest shit I've ever seen, and the 2nd season of K-on has nearly zero moe.
Sep 30, 2010 5:46 PM
Jan 2010
billng said:
Should i watch this? Im not much of a lolicon
I really have no idea what lolicon means and Minami-ke was the first anime I ever liked.

If it means what I think it means "liking cute girls or something" you really shouldn't think of Minami-ke in that way. The focus here is on comedy. The characters just hapen to be 3 sisters.
Oct 1, 2010 3:07 PM

Jun 2008
K-ON! is popular, because it centers around two popular things--moe and music. You really can't create a series like that and not have it be popular.

I agree though, Minami-Ke is way better. The characters and storyline, while episodic, are much more charming in my opinion.
Oct 7, 2010 8:17 PM

Apr 2009
This is tons better than K-On (I've only seen season 1 but it was enough). I prefer slice of life which is actually funny (the same boke-tsukkommi routine over and over is not what I call decent humor).
Oct 7, 2010 8:20 PM

Apr 2010
I thought K-ON was a bit more fun to watch than Minami-ke. I didn't like how the art style kept changing (along with their apartment) every season.

Oct 11, 2010 9:33 PM
Jan 2010
atomizer_ said:
This is tons better than K-On (I've only seen season 1 but it was enough). I prefer slice of life which is actually funny (the same boke-tsukkommi routine over and over is not what I call decent humor).
Just a warning that Season 2 moves at a slower pace and has odd artwork...

Season 3 makes somewhat of a comeback, but with yet a 3rd change in art style.

That being said, I could never get tired of the interaction between Kana and Chiaki. And for some reason, the old trap setups never got stale...

I was still laughing hard in the OVA when Mako-chan suspected Yoshino knew the truth.

And of course, Hosaka always steals the moment. He definitely has the defining moment at the very end of Season 2, even with the poor artwork.

The characters are meaner to each other in Minami-ke. That's what makes it so much funnier. But in K-On! its like....everyone loves each other. Yui comes running down the hallway from a mile away to hug Azu-nyan. Yui and Ui have a very close bond and Ui practically supports her in every way possible, especially with cooking meals.

Meanwhile in Minami-ke 3rd Season Episode 1...Chiaki fights with Kana over how she almost cooks her teddy bear. Now that's funny!

You wouldn't see Chiaki willingly help her older sister get ready for school or any other mushy stuff. They still love each other, but it's a fun rivalry they have. That's what makes Minami-ke so special to me.
Nov 11, 2010 1:26 AM

Sep 2007
Not moe enough. And a pretty weak season 2/3 compare to season 1 while K-On is the other way around with S2 being better (IMHO)

But seriously, I don't care though. As much as I like both, Minami-ke is always above everything else for me in term of Slice-of-Life. Sure AzuDaioh/LuckyStar/IchigoMash are all pretty damn good but there is something in Minami-ke (S1 only) that separate it from the others. That something maybe refers to Hosaka, or Kana, hmmm. I am not sure
Nov 11, 2010 1:53 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I'll take Kana and Hosaka in any of the three season over anyone in K-ON any day.
Yeah, the latter seasons for Minami-ke weren't quite as good as the original but the first season is one of the absolute funniest anime series I've ever seen. Good stuff.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 11, 2010 2:05 AM

Oct 2007
Blame the Mio fanboys.
Dec 9, 2010 3:22 PM

Nov 2010
Probably because the cuteness of some of the characters, they find K-On's characters cuter, altho I like Minami-ke's characters better :D
Apr 10, 2011 12:00 PM

Jan 2011
I think Minami-ke was good, but as for popularity vs K-On, you are competing with

a) Kyoani
b) Extreme Moe

I preferred the art a lot more in K-On! also.
Apr 22, 2011 7:07 AM

Jul 2010
Letitbe said:
I think Minami-ke was good, but as for popularity vs K-On, you are competing with

a) Kyoani
b) Extreme Moe

QFT.
the reason is MOE and KYOANI.. Minami-ke is way better than K-ON imho.
Jul 8, 2011 12:06 PM

Sep 2009
For the record, I never really laughed during Minami-ke. I'm not sure what most people are referring to when they talk about superior comedy in Minami-ke. Am I supposed to find this cross-dressing and slapstick funny? If that's what you're looking for then I suppose Minami-ke would be superior, but I honestly think K-ON is quite a bit better SoL/Comedy in every other department.
Jul 8, 2011 12:30 PM

Aug 2008
SerasAshley said:
It is too bad that Minami-ke didn't have a bigger following, but maybe threads like this will generate interest.

Exactly, It wasn't on my PTW list until I saw this thread.

「何度も立ち向かい続けよう 大切なもの失いたくないから 信じたそのさきへと・・・」
Aug 6, 2011 5:27 AM

Jul 2011
Because it's better ?

to me it's

K-ON!! > Minami-Ke > K-ON!

haven't watch the other seasons of minami-ke , many people says they sucks .
so that's why.
Aug 16, 2011 3:13 PM

Dec 2008
Minami-ke = the best..
Minami-ke > K-On! > Minami-ke Okaeri+Betsubara > Minami-ke Okawari > K-On!!
Aug 16, 2011 6:29 PM
Aug 2009
It because OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU OP
I will never understand why there are proponents who bring K-ON more notoriety just because they are surprised people like it
Sep 23, 2011 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
You know what I think?

I don't think I care which one is more popular than the other, because it doesn't actually make any difference.
Nov 14, 2011 9:44 PM
Oct 2011
Nausea said:
You know what I think?

I don't think I care which one is more popular than the other, because it doesn't actually make any difference.

it make HUGE difference

more popupar = studio get more money = better budget for the next season = better animation quality and maybe comedy

i don't think Season 3's animation would be that suck if minami-ke was popular
Jan 6, 2012 7:23 PM
Jul 2011
K-ON Characters are introduced and developed better than Minami-ke. Also, Kyoto animation is more known than Daume. Don't forget the much higher production quality of Kyoto animation. The only reason you don't understand that K-ON is more popular is probably because of your hipster attitude. They are both great shows, but K-ON takes the top easily.
Jan 11, 2012 10:47 AM

Jan 2011
Never really gave this fact much thought, but as I see it, it's like this:

K-On = All cute girls, which pretty much got all personalities/moe covered (intellectual,glasses,cute,stupid,carefree,teacher,underclassmen,sisters,blonds,quiet,active,serious,tomboyish,innocent,noisy...etc.). Almost everything that are cute to girls and attractive to boys... I got tired of Yui's whining in season2...

Minami-ke = well,they fell short on some,if not most categories...but this probably topped the "stupid" factor,in a good a way. The cross-dressing really ruined it for me,although I think it's essential for the story and Makoto's character development and I did find some scenes really funny... I almost dropped season2 and almost didn't bother to give season3 a try because of season2...

Still, this was the show that got me rolling for fan-subbed anime...
asgardianJan 11, 2012 11:01 AM
Oct 21, 2013 4:13 AM

Oct 2012
Oh, not this thing again :(
Why comparing this and that? Just enjoy both
K-On is great.. Minami-ke too, both are appealing
Both have different genres.. So, everyone taste is different

I don't see any problem, although K-On Movie without doubt is better than this
P.S : KyoAni is famous for moeness, you definitely can't miss that.. JK xD
"Signature removed"
Aug 20, 2015 1:44 PM

Aug 2013
I don't know how you could compare those shows
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 24, 2017 7:18 AM
Jul 2018
I like both K-On and Minami-ke

...but the reason why K-On is popular than Minami..I have my opinion:

1. 5 cute girls in K-On to choose from, 3 for Minami
2. Kyoto Animation
3. K-On had "moe" from the start...compared to Minami

That is my opinion....tbh I don't want to compare which is better.
Sep 20, 2020 3:16 AM

Feb 2019
How the hell can you even compare these two shows? Both are plenty different and if anything minami-ke is in more of a group with nichijou, nichibros and asobi asobase than it is with k-on! Not to mention that minami ke also had male characters which k-on!(A CGDCT) lacks hence why it is more popular amongst the otakus than minami-ke is.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Minami-ke Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

nodoka-koi - Dec 30, 2007

129 by rafarab13 »»
Aug 14, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Minami-ke Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

nodoka-koi - Dec 24, 2007

57 by rafarab13 »»
Aug 14, 2023 4:37 PM

Poll: » Minami-ke Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

itainteazy - Nov 6, 2007

80 by rafarab13 »»
Aug 6, 2023 9:24 AM

Poll: » Minami-ke Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

itainteazy - Oct 22, 2007

75 by rafarab13 »»
Aug 5, 2023 7:37 AM

Poll: » Minami-ke Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

nodoka-koi - Dec 9, 2007

85 by AdityaRizkiS »»
May 18, 2023 12:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.