Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
BECK
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 15, 2010 9:21 AM

Jul 2008
[Don't check this thread if you haven't watched the series - possible spoilers]

I know this anime is good and epic but THERE'S something TOTALLY WRONG about it and I just can't grasp the possibilities of it

Remember Izumi? The girl who introduced Tanaka to the music scene? Why was she abandoned by the directors? She should have had MORE part in this series than Maho. Maho wasn't there for him when he started, but Izumi did! + Maho was busy flirting with other guys, there's possibly no WAY they had a relationship from the start.
Aug 18, 2010 7:33 PM

Dec 2008
well maho get what she deserves later on and get a good grip over yukio :D
and izumi simply cant bring herself to a romantic relationship with yukio
and there was no development cuz this Series is about music not romance :D

Aug 19, 2010 11:29 AM

Jul 2009
Maho's attitude in the middle point episode 15 - so is pissing me off, seriously..
Aug 19, 2010 6:15 PM

Jul 2008
gosp07 said:
well maho get what she deserves later on and get a good grip over yukio :D
and izumi simply cant bring herself to a romantic relationship with yukio
and there was no development cuz this Series is about music not romance :D

what do you mean later on? In the Manga?
Aug 24, 2010 1:15 PM

Jan 2010
95% of music. It is not any good. Just a couple of "alternative" cliches.
Everything else (except for the music) is really good.
Aug 27, 2010 7:16 PM

Jun 2007
Izumi starting out important and then fading into obscurity, as if she was nothing, was a major annoyance. There was a flashback to when she was friends with Koyuki as a kid, it was partly down to her Koyuki set down the path to joining Beck, and she even introduced Koyuki to Saito... yet, after the first seven or so episodes, it was as if she needn't have appeared. Bad writing.

Another serious annoyance was how one minute Maho was all over Koyuki - ALWAYS going to him, and him never once going to her, for some inexplicable reason - and then, when the story required some forced drama, she'd not speak to him for weeks/months - prioritizing time with Yoshita and ignoring him openly insulting her 'boyfriend'. It didn't make sense.

I do think Maho's awesome and all the rest, but her relationship with Koyuki was ruined by her chasing after a kinda-sorta loser... then not caring... than chasing after him again... and so on. The relationship needed to be more 50/50, and needed less random drama during the duller band sections.
Aug 28, 2010 7:24 AM

Jun 2007
By the by, this 'review' of Beck is highly entertaining, and should reveal to you why such 'romances' irritate me so much: http://www.therossman.com/rrr/anime/beck.html

The reason why Maho becomes such a bitch is down to the author taking the easy way out constantly. Y'see, whenever he needed drama to spice things up, he'd use Maho - whether it went with her previous character or not. He never let them get together because that would prevent the lack of communication/Yoshita 'cheating', and that pretty much ruined her character. To start with she was allowed to be a loving inspiration, but then, as the story progressed, and it would have been too simple for them just to have got it on like normal people, she switched from crying over Koyuki to ditching him for a model, and not even telling him about her life.
Aug 31, 2010 2:04 AM

Dec 2009
Two things that bother me: the animation and the bad English.
Sep 1, 2010 1:38 PM

Jun 2009
Aironic said:
By the by, this 'review' of Beck is highly entertaining, and should reveal to you why such 'romances' irritate me so much: http://www.therossman.com/rrr/anime/beck.html.

Hilarious and it truly describes Maho's character. I was planning to read manga to find out if her character improves later in the story but after reading this review I'm not so sure.
Sep 30, 2010 4:58 AM

Jul 2008
Aironic said:
By the by, this 'review' of Beck is highly entertaining, and should reveal to you why such 'romances' irritate me so much: http://www.therossman.com/rrr/anime/beck.html

The reason why Maho becomes such a bitch is down to the author taking the easy way out constantly. Y'see, whenever he needed drama to spice things up, he'd use Maho - whether it went with her previous character or not. He never let them get together because that would prevent the lack of communication/Yoshita 'cheating', and that pretty much ruined her character. To start with she was allowed to be a loving inspiration, but then, as the story progressed, and it would have been too simple for them just to have got it on like normal people, she switched from crying over Koyuki to ditching him for a model, and not even telling him about her life.

Nice review, totally agree with the author.
Nov 28, 2010 1:20 PM

Jun 2009
Aironic said:
By the by, this 'review' of Beck is highly entertaining, and should reveal to you why such 'romances' irritate me so much: http://www.therossman.com/rrr/anime/beck.html.

that review is great... HAHA

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Aug 31, 2012 8:15 PM

Aug 2011
Maho did become irritating for no reason and the anime might as well have written Izumi out of the plot. I also wish the anime had branched off more from the manga and made it's own ending but only because it would have been more interesting to not know the plot.
I'm actually not too happy with how most of the characters were used in Beck, Maho being the worst offender. Characters are what I evaluate most in a show and I would have enjoyed Beck a lot more if the characters felt more real to me. But this didn't ruin my enjoyment of the show until the romance between Tanaka and Maho became more prominent and irrational. My opinion of both characters was lowered but Maho regularly received a majority of my disapproval. It's even more annoying considering the romance wasn't even necessary. The show didn't have to completely disregard other aspects of Tanaka's life, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more myself if it was just about the music.
Feb 27, 2014 4:57 PM
Mar 2012
I didn't like:

1. Them being in high school. 18-25 age range would've been much more realistic for everyone in the show.
2. Gymnastics girl seemed to have a thing for Kyouki but that went nowhere. Was just dropped.
Apr 8, 2014 5:57 AM

Jun 2012
The whole MahoXKoyuki ship. They should have just gotten together the first time Ryusuke gave him the condom, instead of Maho just fucking around with that yoshito bastard.
Apr 24, 2014 12:17 PM
Jan 2009
I really liked Beck but some of the things that annoyed me were:
  • Like many others already mentioned, Izumi just disappearing
  • The bullies turning into good guys, Hyoudou's development kinda made sense (although it was still very rushed) but Rikiya's was just stupid - blackmailing is bad but randomly breaking other people's guitars is completely OK. Talk about double standards.
  • Maho crying over seeing Koyuki with Izumi even though she flirted with other guys on multiple occasions
Jun 22, 2014 4:16 PM

Oct 2013
Nerdo said:
Same here.

Jan 5, 2015 7:59 PM

Apr 2014
was I the only one who thought Yukio sucked at singing? His voice was so eh, slurred I guess. If they sang japanese songs then maybe it would have been better but I just thought it sucked.

I thought it was a little odd that Izumi just dropped off the side of the earth as well but I never liked love triangles and besides a couple of bitch scenes from Maho, I thought their relationship was really good.
Jan 5, 2015 8:11 PM

Oct 2013
The ending, like NANA left a sour taste in my mouth.
Jan 5, 2015 8:12 PM

Jun 2013
Nerdo said:
Feb 13, 2015 7:44 PM
Feb 2015
thunder7 said:
Aironic said:

Hilarious and it truly describes Maho's character. I was planning to read manga to find out if her character improves later in the story but after reading this review I'm not so sure.

still read the manga she gets better and the manga is amazing just do it
Mar 5, 2015 1:07 PM

May 2014
The same as others have said:

Izumi's dissapearence, Maho's bitching and ocassional stupidity put me off. A lot.
I would've liked for Maho and Yuki to get it over with and slept together, consumate their relationship and that's it.
Why the fuck couldn't we see an Izumi and Yuki kiss, and a Yuki and Maho sleeping together, like, in the ending we should've seen them both of them watching the pictures lying in bed.
Dec 21, 2016 5:34 PM
Sep 2016
One of the things that bothers me the most in this anime is the fact that people don't realize that the younger characters are just 14 years old! That Sato-san guy lusting after middle school girls?! Or the fact that Maho's Brother gave to a guy that he doesn't even know what his intentions are a condom to use with his fifteen year old sister? It really ticks me off, they are still girls, not woman. People say that this story is realistic, but it is very convenient that the most popular band of USA takes a liking to Koyuki's singing and the whole murder case is indeed vey normal. I don't know, I was with hight hopes when I started this anime, however in the end there wasn't any character I got attached to and the story was very bad.
Apr 20, 2017 4:54 AM
Jul 2015
victoriaromualdo said:
Or the fact that Maho's Brother gave to a guy that he doesn't even know what his intentions are a condom to use with his fifteen year old sister? It really ticks me off, they are still girls, not woman.

Her brother is 17 and only 2 years older than her. He knows that his sister comes around (which is proven in the anime) and doesn't want his buddy to catch anything. Nothing disturbing about two bros looking out for each other.

And LOL @ "still girls". 15 is the prime age for women. Don't tell me you wouldn't use the condom with her. Or do you only do it raw?
Apr 20, 2017 1:45 PM
Sep 2016
Throni said:
victoriaromualdo said:
Or the fact that Maho's Brother gave to a guy that he doesn't even know what his intentions are a condom to use with his fifteen year old sister? It really ticks me off, they are still girls, not woman.

And LOL @ "still girls". 15 is the prime age for women. Don't tell me you wouldn't use the condom with her. Or do you only do it raw?

When I say girls I am talking about the emotional and mentality of a normal fifteen years old, not their sexual life or the fact that they can have babies.
Also don't joke that that is the prime age of woman, you are just taking into consideration your own sexualized idea of a woman. If you think of the woman realistically, it is very difficult that she will reach her potential as a fifteen year old, especially if you take real life examples like Marie Courie, Clarice Lispector,Hannah Arendt,Simone de Beauvoir or Mary Shelley.
Futhermore we are in a forum, to share ideas and have fun, so if you disagree with me please try doing it without being rude. I was astonished with your vulgar comment, not only you were discourteous with me but with woman as a whole.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Beck Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Aug 18, 2008

139 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Beck Episode 23 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

42 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Beck Episode 22 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

47 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Beck Episode 21 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

40 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Beck Episode 20 Discussion

aero - Aug 18, 2008

45 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 9, 3:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.