Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 21, 2015 1:06 AM
Dec 2013
God damn. What an amazing ending song.
Mar 25, 2015 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
Before watching this episode, i still thought the series was only ok. But after watching this episode, and that amazing ending with space lion, i was sold for the rest of the entire series
Jun 1, 2015 6:48 PM

Feb 2013
I hope we meet Julia at some point.

So Gren is a guy. He just has boobs from some drug they gave him when he was in prison. At least he died peacefully.
Jun 4, 2015 1:14 PM
Dec 2014
Been watching anime for a while now. Sure I began with Cowboy Bebop but something happened in my life and I dropped it 10 episodes in. Heresy I know so I picked it up after all these years.
These two episodes punched me right in the guts!
Sad but in a way a good death, he got closure and died on his own terms and got the burial he wanted.
And that music.
Might CB dethrone Legend of the Galactic Heroes as my favourite anime? We'll see.
Jul 19, 2015 11:52 PM

Jan 2015
That ending... beautiful...
Aug 14, 2015 4:26 PM

Jan 2015
brandis said:
So Grim got transplants in order to fool Vicious... I feel like he could have cross dressed without having to go to that extent. Heck why even go that far, just dress up like an old guy with glasses.

W/e.

Gren didn't get transplants... He explained in the last episode, how he became a drug addict while in prison and that it destroyed his hormonal balance. Thus, the boobies.

Feniksrises said:
Been watching anime for a while now. Sure I began with Cowboy Bebop but something happened in my life and I dropped it 10 episodes in. Heresy I know so I picked it up after all these years.

Not a heresy. You need to be in the right mindset to fully enjoy some works. First time, I tried to marathon Cowboy Bebop, didn't work out that well. Now I know better, and I'm loving it.

Feniksrises said:
Might CB dethrone Legend of the Galactic Heroes as my favourite anime? We'll see.

Bit of a stretch imo. But there's no real point in comparing the two. One is a long-runner that prides itself in its rich setting, strong MCs and political plots (and classical music during space battles :p), and the other is an episodic anime, quite experimental in the way that it constantly switches genres and ambiances.

This was an awesome pair of episode. Faye finally getting a bit of depth behind her bitchy character, although she should really stop stabbing Jet and Spike in the back.

Seems like Julia was with both Vicious and Spike at the time and she left after their conflict because she couldn't choose. At least that's how I interpreted these flashbacks.
HapHazrDAug 14, 2015 4:37 PM
Aug 15, 2015 11:49 PM

Jul 2012
Hmm, we still don't know much about Spike's past. Well, still got another 13 episodes to go.
Sep 17, 2015 7:41 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
They always play the best OSTs
Oct 5, 2015 2:23 PM

Oct 2012
It was a great 2 episodes. Really loved the style. Had a big stupid grin on my face when he let Spike back in at the end. I love Space dramas. Just so macroscopic, that it makes you feel small but at the same time makes conflicts even more beautiful in a way.

Oct 16, 2015 2:18 AM
Nov 2014
So good.

Nov 11, 2015 8:49 PM

Dec 2013
Intense episode. That conclusion was beautiful.
Nov 29, 2015 2:32 AM

Nov 2015
love that ending song.
INTP (Ne)

A hound, begging for scraps at the emperor's table

Jan 1, 2016 6:27 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Very stylish and very epic! Ending was sad ;_; also great ED!

5/5
Jan 3, 2016 11:44 AM

Jan 2013
Nice end to the arc, loved the music this episode.
Jan 24, 2016 4:53 AM

Dec 2015
Very nice ending to the first cour.

I kept trying to distinguish two different eye colors, and I just couldn't. Am I missing something?

Spike is so dreamy for an anime character. That face tho.
Mar 30, 2016 3:21 PM

Sep 2015
Xowlreed said:
Nice episodes.
What about that thing: "The work, which becomes a new genres itself, will be called... Cowboy Bebop".
Ok, ok, I gotta admit: considering the age of this show, it is pretty awesome but aren't they bragging too much?

Yeah as far as i know the director admitted that statement was kinda over exaggerated at a later stage.
FIND SOME TIME TO DO SOME THINGS
Apr 24, 2016 7:47 PM
Jul 2018
eogo said:
Xowlreed said:
Nice episodes.
What about that thing: "The work, which becomes a new genres itself, will be called... Cowboy Bebop".
Ok, ok, I gotta admit: considering the age of this show, it is pretty awesome but aren't they bragging too much?

Yeah as far as i know the director admitted that statement was kinda over exaggerated at a later stage.

Eheheheh, all right XD
Jul 27, 2016 12:47 AM

Apr 2011
F*ck I meant to give the first part 4/5 and this one 5/5 got the eps confused smh. Anyways great episode, liked the change of ED for the end of this little arc.
Sep 2, 2016 1:37 AM

Sep 2012
I don't know how it's so captivating about how they present the characters, situations, story, etc. But it really hooks the viewer in. The past episode and this episode were truly amazing. Gren was a side character but he/she became very memorable in all the screen time over the span of two episodes. All while still keeping the mysteries behind Spike, Vicious, and Julia. Man why haven't I started this sooner.
Oct 26, 2016 10:14 AM

Mar 2013
Just beautiful piece of episode. The music was just stunning. Now I know why people like it so much.
Oct 29, 2016 8:33 PM

Jul 2013
vicious chose to be friend with that guy in the moment he gave him the carillon. but at that moment he was already betraying him. reasons pls?
Dec 1, 2016 5:58 AM

Nov 2011
That final poignant, not to mention the run in that context the song, it was pleasant to listen while my mind was shaken by a flood of emotions. Although these feelings are an integrated part of watching an anime. The main and secondary characters have a solid construction of character, a pleasure to see them in action and savor the virtues and vices.

Great ening! I want it!
Dec 7, 2016 1:51 PM

Nov 2016
I must say that I much prefer part 2 to part 1 and it was a better episode overall than the last 3 in my opinion. The ending was pretty touching and I really liked the ending song. 5/5
Dec 30, 2016 10:19 PM

Jul 2015
great music, great episode, Great arc,
great Ending was a strong one. And beautiful one
Jun 3, 2017 9:59 PM

Mar 2015
Dayum I am so glad I decided to rewatch this series. I remember this episode kind of hitting me last time, but not nearly as much as it did now. That last song felt like it was worming its way into my soul, and something about seeing Gren on his way and then seeing the group all back together brought a tear to my eye.
Wonder why Faye doesn't like blue, tho? Maybe because it's considered a sad color?

Aug 10, 2017 10:46 AM

May 2016
Best episode so far really make you feel the character I don't know how they can build up these characters from nothing really amazing.
Aug 24, 2017 10:20 AM

May 2015
Fun as always. :)))
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 26, 2017 2:06 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, Vicious didn't even recognise Gren.

So it was drugs in prisons that gave him too much estrogen that made him grow boobs, they were not planned on his part in any way. But they do kinda suit him. I can't believe Vicious sold him out!

And then Gren tricked him then the 3 way fight between those two and Spike who they had only tranqued and not killed.

Awww, the end was sad and Gren died but going back to where he wanted to be.
Dec 25, 2017 3:14 AM
Apr 2017
Best episode yet.
Dec 6, 2018 2:39 PM

Feb 2017
I don't have a comrade...
Jan 9, 2019 4:01 PM

Nov 2018
I thought the two-part arc was slightly overrated. The music was touching and Gren received a proper send off, but the storytelling was confused and slightly incoherent.

Gren wanted to find out if Vicious had betrayed him, however the dialogue before he uses the bomb they hand him to attack Vicious and kill Lin wouldn't have told him either way. He then fails to use an explosive strong enough to blow Vicious out of the sky before proceeding to be shot out of the sky by Vicious's air missiles himself. How can a man who served as Vicious's brother-in-arms during the war on Titan be so bad at killing a man he definitely had the drop on repeatedly? Furthermore he thoroughly prepared to kill Vicious and attacks him before truly knowing if he was actually betrayed or not. I think people are mistaking pot gaps and ambivalence as some sort of transcendental depth to the narrative that simply isn't there.

I like Bebop a lot but people overhype and overrate it. The storytelling is surprisingly weak and incoherent in places and this two episode arc is actually a good demonstration of that fact.

Why did Gren even take Faye back to his apartment before arranging the drop? There seems to be no rhyme or reason other than giving the writers a chance to set up the shower scene to reveal that Gren has female breasts from the drugs he was forcibly given in prison. Why does he handcuff Faye other than to take her out of the plot set up a convenient place for Jet to rescue her?

Why did Spike just run into Vicious without preparation then threaten to kill him? That whole confrontation did nothing for the story and didn't make any sense. Vicious would arguably have murdered Spike right there given their previous encounter and extreme animosity.

There are several other parts of the story that don't make any sense and function in such a way to further a weirdly convoluted story line.
Apr 23, 2019 6:22 AM

Feb 2013
RIP Gren.
Everyone is back on the Bebop now.
Apr 23, 2019 12:03 PM

Jun 2017
For someone criticizing the storytelling so heavily, you sure missed a lot :)

PrometheanSpark said:
Gren wanted to find out if Vicious had betrayed him, however the dialogue before he uses the bomb they hand him to attack Vicious and kill Lin wouldn't have told him either way.

Been a while since I watched this, but Gren says something like "were you (i.e. Vicious) trying to kill me again?" He was waiting for Vicious to deny he betrayed Gren the first time. Vicious didn't. Gren got his answer.

PrometheanSpark said:
He then fails to use an explosive strong enough to blow Vicious out of the sky before proceeding to be shot out of the sky by Vicious's air missiles himself.

The bomb was his backup plan. His first was to shoot Vicious, which he might have done if Lin hadn't intervened.

PrometheanSpark said:
How can a man who served as Vicious's brother-in-arms during the war on Titan be so bad at killing a man he definitely had the drop on repeatedly?

Because Vicious is that good. If you haven't noticed by now, he's pretty equal to Spike, and Spike has been shown to be an ace pilot. Gren, meanwhile, hadn't left the planet in years. He hadn't exactly been practicing his piloting skills.

PrometheanSpark said:
Furthermore he thoroughly prepared to kill Vicious and attacks him before truly knowing if he was actually betrayed or not. I think people are mistaking pot gaps and ambivalence as some sort of transcendental depth to the narrative that simply isn't there.

How is this a plot hole? He went to confront Vicious because he wanted to find out if he was the one who betrayed him. He was pretty sure of it already because of what Julia told him, which is why he was prepared to kill Vicious, he just needed a final face-to-face talk to confirm it first. He wanted to believe that Vicious wasn't the one who betrayed him, which is why he gave Vicious a chance to deny it before firing.

PrometheanSpark said:
Why did Gren even take Faye back to his apartment before arranging the drop?

Gren explained this one himself. He was lonely. He knew he was likely going to his death, and he wanted real human contact before he died. It's really a very human reaction, and part of why, historically, so many hasty marriages happen right before soldiers go off to war. They want to know that someone will remember them and miss them if they die, and that someone will be waiting for them if they come back.

PrometheanSpark said:
Why does he handcuff Faye other than to take her out of the plot set up a convenient place for Jet to rescue her?

See above. So someone would be waiting for him if he came back.

PrometheanSpark said:
Why did Spike just run into Vicious without preparation then threaten to kill him?

Spike wasn't expecting to find Vicious, he was expecting to find Julia. He didn't realize Vicious was using Julia's name until he found him there. It was a surprise for both of them, but once they were face-to-face, it was on.

PrometheanSpark said:
There are several other parts of the story that don't make any sense and function in such a way to further a weirdly convoluted story line.

The convoluted storyline is one of the reasons Bebop is so great, actually. The fact that it isn't a straightfoward anime that holds the viewer's hand through the entire series is actually one of the main reasons I love it and think it's brilliant. If you're not willing to pay attention all the time and put some thought into what's going on, Bebop is simply not for you. And that's fine! Nothing has universal appeal. I just don't see why people have to declare "overrated and overhyped" because they personally don't like that thing. There's nothing wrong with simply saying "I didn't like it, it's not for me" and moving on.
Apr 24, 2019 10:13 AM
Dec 2018
Grim0013 said:
Somehow they manage to have something sad and tragic without making the viewer sad.
This is what I felt, I couldn't explain it myself. Thanks for putting this into words.
Apr 24, 2019 5:16 PM

Nov 2018
LunaLena said:
For someone criticizing the storytelling so heavily, you sure missed a lot :)

You fundamentally didn't understand any of the points I raised. I am not going to go through it for somebody so disrespectful and ridiculous. This is just embarrassingly bad....
Apr 28, 2019 9:41 AM

Jun 2017
PrometheanSpark said:

You fundamentally didn't understand any of the points I raised. I am not going to go through it for somebody so disrespectful and ridiculous. This is just embarrassingly bad....

Oh dear, what a devastating counterargument! Whatever shall I do. :)
Jul 15, 2019 11:27 PM

May 2017
Outstanding episode. Wow!
Aug 3, 2019 2:11 AM

Apr 2013
Wait, so Vicious's spaceship exploded partly and they just let him get away like that?
Aug 4, 2019 1:29 PM

Aug 2017
I really liked this mini-arc. Gren received a proper death.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 10, 2019 9:44 AM

Jul 2019
Awesome episode and some new things to plot of Vicious and Spike.
I anxious to know more about Julia, she looks like be a precious character.
Oct 28, 2019 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
The soundtrack is freaking awesome man, too bad it has too many empty spaces. So far i'm still keeping a positive view about this classic though.
Aug 24, 2020 6:53 AM
Aug 2018
I will admit the music in Cowboy Bebop is just godly amazing. So glad that I picked up on this show now and savor each episodes as I go along. This show is a gem and I'm a fan of Yoko Kanno and Shinichiro Watanabe for sure.
Sep 18, 2020 8:31 PM

Apr 2020
That ending. Perfect. Bebop is bliss.
Sep 21, 2020 1:32 AM
Aug 2020
"that is not an ordinary star my son that star is the tear of a warrior "
"A lost soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all"
Oct 10, 2020 2:50 PM

Mar 2016
amazing soundtrack from ms.kanno

Nov 2, 2020 2:00 PM

Dec 2007
the whole hormones thing was really pointless, i thought there was more than that.

apart from that, really great arc, hope the story gonna keep it's quality.
Nov 6, 2020 1:35 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
These 2 single episodes did what entire seasons and series of anime cannot do today; make me feel, make me sit through all the credits contemplating life, and just, be damn good. Maybe I too, wish, I had a comrade. What an epic and that was just 2 episodes

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 16, 2021 2:24 PM

Mar 2018
The ending of this episode was beautifully done and somewhat moving.

This has me coming back to the idea that the story is not as coherent as it could be to really provide that emotional impact it felt like the ending to this episode could have given.

The music, aesthetic, and cinematography continue to be amazing quality, masterful even, but the story still falls behind which slightly brings the show's enjoyment down.
Jul 2, 2021 9:36 PM
Jul 2018

Just passing by, after re-watching this 'arc', to note you that Jupiter Jazz is per-fe-ct! No more no less... I can't imagine how these two chapters (part 1 and 2) could be better and more profound than they are. I mean, in other episodes it's (very) subtly implied, somehow, the whole anime message through dialogues, scenes, characters physical interactions, mise-en-scènes and narrative segments, but Jupiter Jazz condensed so well its subjects that it's impossible not see yourself immersed in its introspective, melancholic but powerful ambience. The soundtrack is the cherry on top ♥
Jul 13, 2021 10:08 PM

Jun 2019
I liked this one more than the previous part, although it did feel a lot shorter. I liked the send off for Mr. Sax, and I especially liked how it tied back into the begining of part 1.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FighterZ - May 14, 2008

183 by FunniMonkey69 »»
Yesterday, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 23, 2009

116 by RioFS »»
Yesterday, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 22, 2009

114 by RioFS »»
Yesterday, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FighterZ - Apr 27, 2008

180 by RioFS »»
Yesterday, 4:03 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HaiAlwaysHungry - Oct 29, 2008

116 by RioFS »»
Yesterday, 12:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.