Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 4, 7:27 AM

Dec 2021
After many failed attempts, novelist Teshima finally succeeds with a anime adaptation of one of his works... and its actually a unique fantasy story.

The sorcerer Zagan made a bold decision to take part in an auction featuring the possessions of the recently deceased Archdemon Marchosias, anticipating the discovery of immensely powerful artifacts. To his surprise, instead of finding mystical relics, he encounters a rare white-haired slave elf named Nephilia. Instantly captivated, Zagan exhausts his funds to acquire her, much to the perplexity of onlookers. Unbeknownst to them, his true motive lies in a deep infatuation that blossomed upon their first meeting. However, Zagan, who is notoriously awkward in social situations, lacks the finesse to engage with Nephilia. Thus begins an awkward and fumbling journey for the sorcerer and the timid elf, as they navigate their peculiar arrangement with little understanding of how to communicate with each other.

Wow, so demons don't keep their treasures buried with them. That's disappointing. And then he goes and bets 1 million right away! Haha, that cracked me up. When I saw the title, I thought, "Oh great, another typical fantasy isekai story... Whatever, I'm bored, might as well give it a shot." But I'm glad I did because it's not generic at all. It doesn't even seem to be an isekai to start with. The beginning seems cute. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Every fantasy protagonist's biggest weakness: socializing! This show is just going to be silly fun. Although the fantasy aspect isn't that great, everything else makes up for it..
IzanaSolosApr 4, 9:00 AM

Apr 4, 7:34 AM

Jul 2017
I feel bad for novelist Fuminori Teshima, after so many works circa 2007 that has failed to gain attention, this work from 2017 would be the ONLY one to gain notoriety, if it meant getting any reception at all, which it DESERVES. Especially that last Fall's IkeNaiKyo was rather decent, but nothing all that special.

The Brow Beat's OP is rather good.

The lone hated sorcerer Zagan (much like Ikenaikyo's Allen), faces an elf who wants to know how she would be killed, though he doesn't intend for her to be that way...especially for a girl that he likes.

And how they both encountered each other...is by way of a girl being assaulted by a knight within his territory for sorcery experimentations with the Church, not to mention him bieng harassed by his fellow sorcerer Barbatos the Purgatory. The Archdemons on the other hand, are fearful, and the auction for a legacy with Marchosias gone, the 13th candidate position is up for grabs, more than one of his prized possessions: a rare platinum elf from the Nordic lands.

Zagan immediately takes notice and bids for her unsparingly, though he has no recognition of what love or romance even means...which leads to the situation now. Clearly, Nephelia took him by her innocent looks, and let leaves Zagan not being able to know how to handle her, even under all of his facade of composure. Both Zagan and Nephy led similar lives, and for now, he leads her to her room, though seeing the rooms of torture, she plays along rather well, and he clears it immediately. For sure, this would be the start of their cohabitation, a long and romantic one.

This show is WAY BETTER than IkeNaiKyo, and I knew it from reading the manga, to now the anime. This would be the definite hit.
KANLen09Apr 5, 9:17 PM
Apr 4, 7:42 AM
May 2014
i hope this will be better than Ikenaikyo
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 8:02 AM
May 2015
A bit worse quality wise than I was anticipating, but still good enough. I Very much enjoyed the Manga and as long as they don't do too much worse than this episode it should be sufficient.
Apr 4, 8:56 AM

Feb 2021
Another leak wtf.
I remember reading a couple chapters of the manga a long time ago, so decided to watch this too.
Okay start, I want to see more interactions of these two.
Apr 4, 9:09 AM

Aug 2022
Made me want to build a time machine.
(it looks promising) 💯 !
Eternal_RestApr 4, 9:13 AM
Apr 4, 9:32 AM

Nov 2014
I expected cringe, but it was actually funny! Especially girl's assumptions. It's just my kind of comedy, so I won't mind if they don't progress too fast and she keeps doing it.
Apr 4, 9:53 AM

Sep 2023
Okay... this seasons animes are wierd... Another one, that is missing the "Comedy" label and expected to be taken seriusly.

Based on this 1st episode, it's just the more immature, less funny, less interesting and overall worse quality version of The Ancient Magus's Bride. One could even say, it's the bootleged version of it, hence it was released after it in manga and anime form too and so far copy it in almost every way.

I really hope, they will clear thing up about the MC and this elf, because so far both of them are pathetic and stupid. (Reminder: this isn't a Comedy apparently).
Zagan is somehow a powerful and clearly rich sorcerer, despite having no connections, not interested in power, non-violent and dislike violence. Yet, he have a large collection of torture devices... A hobby I guess... Long story short, nothing makes sense about him. He have a lot of conflicting characteristics, that shouldn't exist.
Nephilia is better, but simply because she clearly have an orphan slave background. So some of her ideas and behaviours are understandable.

I'll give this one a few more episodes to redeem itself, simply because it reminds me to the Ancient Magus's Bride, but if it continues to be this immature teenage love fantasy, than it'll goes into the trash.
Apr 4, 9:59 AM
Aug 2022
Ngl I'm really enjoying this so far, It reminds me of the scrificial princess and the king of beasts. Just if you removed all of the politics and discrimination and focused only on the romance/Comedy side of things. I wasn't planning on watching this but it caught my eye and at least right now this is my favourite thing airing, I really like Zagan as an mc and Nephy seems like fun too
Apr 4, 10:19 AM
Sep 2015
Just how long are Nephy gonna misunderstand that Zagan want to kill/torture her? I just don't like the same kind of joke being told again and again.
Apr 4, 10:26 AM

Jul 2014
The presentation looks good.

As long as they don't mess it up it should be fine.
Apr 4, 10:28 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty good so far, but the MC will always be in a position of power which is kinda offsetting. Gotta remove that collar at least.
Apr 4, 10:36 AM

Dec 2022
well it certainty isnt bad but need to watch more to have an opinion this was just the introduction and nothing stood out and since its just starting its not comfy yet
Apr 4, 10:42 AM

Mar 2013
This is one of my favourites!
All main and supporting characters are lovable.
Disregard MAL's score. This series is just getting started!
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 4, 11:27 AM
Feb 2024
It was a bad adaptation of the manga in the artistic sense, in addition to removing some of the tension and the dark factor that was present at the beginning (when the girl is almost attacked by that wizard it is much more tense and interesting in the manga). I expect good changes in the next episodes
Apr 4, 11:28 AM
Feb 2024
Csend said:
Okay... this seasons animes are wierd... Another one, that is missing the "Comedy" label and expected to be taken seriusly.

Based on this 1st episode, it's just the more immature, less funny, less interesting and overall worse quality version of The Ancient Magus's Bride. One could even say, it's the bootleged version of it, hence it was released after it in manga and anime form too and so far copy it in almost every way.

I really hope, they will clear thing up about the MC and this elf, because so far both of them are pathetic and stupid. (Reminder: this isn't a Comedy apparently).
Zagan is somehow a powerful and clearly rich sorcerer, despite having no connections, not interested in power, non-violent and dislike violence. Yet, he have a large collection of torture devices... A hobby I guess... Long story short, nothing makes sense about him. He have a lot of conflicting characteristics, that shouldn't exist.
Nephilia is better, but simply because she clearly have an orphan slave background. So some of her ideas and behaviours are understandable.

I'll give this one a few more episodes to redeem itself, simply because it reminds me to the Ancient Magus's Bride, but if it continues to be this immature teenage love fantasy, than it'll goes into the trash.

I recommend that you read the manga, this adaptation was very bad.
Apr 4, 11:38 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to thi45
Csend said:

I recommend that you read the manga, this adaptation was very bad.
@thi45
Csend said:

Did you even watch the episode ? He litteraly said that these tortures devices belonged to the previous owner of the castle and he was too lazy to clean it.

I agree though that the anime should have a comedy tag, but maybe it will get more serious in future episodes. Let's wait!
Apr 4, 11:43 AM
Feb 2024
christo9541997 said:
@thi45
Csend said:

Did you even watch the episode ? He litteraly said that these tortures devices belonged to the previous owner of the castle and he was too lazy to clean it.

I agree though that the anime should have a comedy tag, but maybe it will get more serious in future episodes. Let's wait!

It will be most serious on future, at the same time, new and really captivating characters will appear and romance will be developed, in addition to the magic system being very interesting and new (at least I've never seen it before)
Apr 4, 11:55 AM

Jul 2014
Huh... I really liked this one. Nephy is so adorable and I love Kana Ichinose voicing her. While Zagan is a socially awkward nice guy who ends up being hilarious.

So yeah, this was funny, cute and even serious here and there. Looking forward to more.
Apr 4, 12:35 PM

Feb 2015
I like this one. Looking forward to their antics and misunderstandings.
Apr 4, 12:38 PM
May 2021
Liked the start of the anime, let's see how it goes
Apr 4, 12:53 PM

Jun 2017
Solid first ep, I am already liking it. It's like a child of Ancient Magus Bride and How not to summon a demon lord. lol
Apr 4, 1:05 PM

May 2019
I thought this first episode was good and it reminded me of "I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness" from a couple of seasons ago.

While Nephy thought she was going to get killed or experimented on at first I think that towards the end she was starting to kid around when he opened up her future bedroom and saw the guillotine and she offered up her head as she bowed.
Apr 4, 1:11 PM
Feb 2020
Really funny, specially because Nephy's thoughts 😂😂
Apr 4, 1:42 PM

Dec 2022
A romcom where a powerful sorcerer with poor social skills acquires a waifu with no self-worth. Seems like a repeat of the Naughty Princess anime from two seasons ago.

The gag of Nephy misunderstanding Zagan's intentions was kind of funny, but might get old later. For now, pantsu and possibly some cool magic shit in the future. Romance might be there as well. They've already held hands, even if he used protection!
MALoween 2023 Candy: ///
Apr 4, 2:10 PM

Jul 2015
Super funny so far, it's not overly cringe (yet) either, so it's a perfect balance for this first episode at least. And they're not all that different these two, so there can definitely be more chemistry too. Niceee
Apr 4, 2:29 PM

Oct 2017
This was actually quite amusing, poor guy down bad but is too awkard to properly interact with her. Nephilia's cute, she needs love and hopefully will get over her trauma. Fun start, looking forward to more.
Apr 4, 2:55 PM

Jun 2016
It seems a cute and funny series, I liked this first episode.
Apr 4, 6:15 PM
No.1 Nahida Simp

Jan 2017
One of the manga that I really enjoy reading is finally animated. Can't wait to see the fluffiness, the awkwardness, and the sweetness of these two.
Apr 4, 8:45 PM
May 2017
Very, very good beginning episode! The powerful sorcerer Zagan is in love with the cute and sweet elf Nephilia.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 4, 9:11 PM

Oct 2022
As being socially awkward myself I can verify saying something crazy before you think about it makes people interpret it a whole a lot different then the way you thought about it. Good opening episode.

Apr 4, 9:42 PM

Aug 2019
Infinitely better than what I thought it was going to be like. Really glad I decided to give it a shot instead of just skipping it!
Apr 4, 9:48 PM

Nov 2022
Hmm. I'm curious. I like how straightforward it was of that he likes her. Imagine gonna have some goofy interactions with him being awkard and such lol I'll probably keep watching this.
Apr 4, 10:14 PM

Oct 2022
Bro I have Type-Infinity diabetes, I gotta stop watching all these romance anime, it's too much!
Apr 4, 11:45 PM

Jun 2023
This one ain't bad.

Giving off "I'm Giving Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness" vibes
Apr 5, 12:31 AM

Dec 2022
Seems to be adorable! Lets see where this one takes us.
Apr 5, 12:52 AM

Oct 2022
I like this. Normally the MC is all sauve and all about getting a harem. This time the guy, unlike the girl, is all hesitant and doesn't know what to do. Where the girl just thinks she's about to die. So it's a bit refreshing.

Apr 5, 1:56 AM

Nov 2023
I never thought we would get an anime adaptation of this, but here we are.

I read a few chapters of the manga but never really got into it. So far, it seems like a decent start, so I'll keep watching.
Apr 5, 2:17 AM

Dec 2022
Not gonna lie I enjoyed it more than I expected... Maybe I'll watch this till the end.
Apr 5, 2:53 AM

Oct 2022
I hope he can find a way to remove the collar. Must protect Nephie.
UndefeatedBahamut
Apr 5, 4:04 AM

Aug 2017
Nothing really stood out to me, so will give it another episode to see if my opinion changes.
Apr 5, 4:39 AM

Dec 2022
Zagan sees pointy ears, is instantly smitten. He is a man of culture indeed.

Apr 5, 5:01 AM

Oct 2022
Good wholesome start. I hope he will be able to find a way to remove her collar and get happy life.
Apr 5, 6:36 AM
Feb 2024
This is looking promising. I look forward to seeing this series now.
Apr 5, 6:45 AM
Mar 2024
imo this is a good romance anime and i think it is worth it to watch because it is about love between candidate of demon lord with his servant. he fell in love with her in the first sight at an auction. He bid her for 1.000.000 right away, he got her and brought her to his castle, there he try to have a conversation with her but she think that he is going to kill her, there is some mistunderstanding. Afterward, he want to show a room for her and they go to balcony, she look up at moon and she thank him. he appreciate what she said. There's where the romance started.

Zagan dont any friend to talk to, back when he is a child he doesnt have a name, so local call him "Zagan". He doesnt know what his parents face look like.
then about the servant who we knew as Nephlia, she is called as a cursed child, she has beautiful face that make Zagan fell love on first sight. from what i recall, she doesnt have place to go back since she was know as the cursed child, her eyes is hopeless at first but after she met with Zagan, her eyes back lively again. its cute how she is confused about what Zagan intention to her, and how Zagan react to is is just kinda funny, hope this thing didnt dissapoint me in the end
Apr 5, 7:54 AM

Dec 2022
I think this will get to be pretty good. Excited to see how this will play out.
Apr 5, 8:00 AM
Feb 2021
Look ok, i will comtinue watching until the end
Apr 5, 8:01 AM
Jul 2023
Very funny and cute
Apr 5, 8:08 AM
Sep 2016
I saw Phos in the OP, I press like!

It's interesting they put so much scene for the wingly girl (forgot her name) in the OP despite

Gremory and Kimaris in EP01!!!

Barbatos being Barbatos.....

God how I'm hyped abt this adaptation!
uncleqrowApr 5, 8:29 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Apr 5, 8:21 AM

Oct 2022
Looks very promising, Nephy is a must protecc waifu!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maou no Ore ga Dorei Elf wo Yome ni Shitanda ga, Dou Medereba Ii? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - May 9

62 by Wholesome_Seeker »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM

Poll: » Maou no Ore ga Dorei Elf wo Yome ni Shitanda ga, Dou Medereba Ii? Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - May 2

66 by Wholesome_Seeker »»
Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Poll: » Maou no Ore ga Dorei Elf wo Yome ni Shitanda ga, Dou Medereba Ii? Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 4

74 by TheKingSnek »»
Yesterday, 3:53 PM

» Why the hell can Zagan absorb magic?

Isekai-Enjoyer - May 4

8 by HueyLion »»
May 9, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Maou no Ore ga Dorei Elf wo Yome ni Shitanda ga, Dou Medereba Ii? Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 25

54 by Magicmist »»
May 9, 4:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.