Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2010 3:27 PM

Apr 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was pretty great. Although, I'm shocked that the narrator spoiled Hikari's time in the digital world.

Oct 29, 2010 5:37 AM
Aug 2009
Tai's sister is a digi destined and at least they made it back.
Mar 7, 2012 5:19 PM

Feb 2010
This episode's quality was higher than the previous ones. The story has gotten pretty interesting comparing to the earlier episodes as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mar 23, 2012 7:03 PM
Jul 2010
wow.. digimons getting good.. I never finished it as a kid. now i wish i did.

love the change in artbstyle from real world to digital world.
Jun 25, 2013 9:04 PM
Oct 2010
YES YES YES FUCKING YES. love all that comes next. this ep is really a mood shifter for the series. this stuff really drew me in when i was younger and to be 22 and still love it is something else. watching it now you can really tell how much this ep differs from the previous 20
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jun 26, 2013 6:26 AM

Dec 2012
This was one of the best episodes I have watched so far, one with real emotions that I could actually connect to compared to the previous. Didn't really like the real-world animation though. 5/5
Aug 16, 2013 6:06 AM

Mar 2012
One of the best. This was always a great episode. Just watched it in jp for the first time, made it even better to be honest.

This episode has direct ties with the first movie, as a kid I never watched the movies until much later into the series so now I understand the whole thing with Koromon and Kari.
Apr 10, 2014 2:21 AM
Mar 2013
It was certainly one of the more thought-provoking episodes. I love the connections with the first digimon movie and of course getting to see chibi Kari again.

I totally loved Tai's inner monologue about time travel. He thought that Kari went to the digital world and traveled back in time and that's why she knew about Koromon ^^

That Tai xD He certainly has a vivid imagination.
Apr 10, 2014 11:16 AM
Apr 2011
Very well animated episode, definitely a HUGE improvement from the rest of the series. Well, the episode director was Mamoru Hosoda, the same who made the first 2 Digimon movies, Summer Wars and so, it's a shame he didn't direct more Digimon episodes.
One of the best episodes of Adventure, and to think I didn't like this episode when I was little...
May 12, 2014 1:19 PM

Jul 2013
Woah, didn't catch the connection to the first movie the first time around. Can't wait for Kari's time to shine. :D
Jul 7, 2014 12:21 AM

Oct 2013
I haven't seen the movie since I was super young, so I'm missing the connection I guess.

Either way, good episode indeed. Kari is so cute!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 7, 2014 6:52 AM

Jan 2014
Great episode!
Dec 1, 2014 5:46 PM

Jun 2011
A few moments in this episode gave me the creep. The show definitely got interesting now.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 5, 2015 12:47 PM
Jun 2012
Holy shit, this episode is a clear peak in quality in every factor. Direction, writing, animation, plot progression, character exploration, heck even music composition.
Jun 21, 2015 7:58 PM

Dec 2014
still my favorite episode of the series , Mamoru Hosoda did a great job .
Nov 3, 2015 5:05 AM

Apr 2014
UubTay said:
Holy shit, this episode is a clear peak in quality in every factor. Direction, writing, animation, plot progression, character exploration, heck even music composition.

Ravel's Bolero. It's in the first movie and a couple other moments in the series too.
Dec 1, 2015 7:49 PM

Jul 2011
UubTay said:

My jaw was wide open the whole episode. The mood setting was amazing.

Definitely watching the other digimon stuff this episode director did.
MirorinDec 1, 2015 8:16 PM
Jun 12, 2016 7:46 AM

Feb 2013
Too bad that it was only one episode in the real world, it was nice to see Hikari too.
Dec 26, 2016 6:32 PM

Dec 2016
Definetely the best episode in the whole series and the one I most remember.

Everything was brilliantly executed here.
May 22, 2017 1:29 AM

Nov 2010
Excellent episode, definitely my favourite so far. Loved the tone and pacing of it and the animation and directing is a lot better than in previous episodes.
Apr 22, 2019 3:07 AM

Dec 2008
Sooooo many spoilers ITT. I'm watching through all of Digimon Adventure and this episode was incredibly better than the previous ones. I wish still artstyle could be the whole series. Finally some real good anime!
"He isn't dead, San. He is here with us now, telling us, it's time for both of us to live."
"And slowly... You come to realize..."
"They come without asking, and then they leave just the same.
But once you meet them, even if nobody ever knows it, that encounter will change your life for the better."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYzMYcUty6s
Apr 22, 2019 5:41 AM

Dec 2008
AegidromApr 22, 2019 5:45 AM
"He isn't dead, San. He is here with us now, telling us, it's time for both of us to live."
But once you meet them, even if nobody ever knows it, that encounter will change your life for the better."
Jun 30, 2019 1:42 PM

Dec 2016
Aegidrom said:

It was the only episode of the series directed by the famous Mamoru Hosoda, who also directed two of the three movies of the Adventure series.

And this episode it's indeed the best. It's one of the fan favorite ones.
Jul 1, 2019 2:51 AM

Dec 2008
Arkab said:
Aegidrom said:

It was the only episode of the series directed by the famous Mamoru Hosoda, who also directed two of the three movies of the Adventure series.

And this episode it's indeed the best. It's one of the fan favorite ones.

Well that explains it. Thanks!
I saw the first movie / pilot episode after I finished the series, I think I scored that one 9/10 or something. Better than Pokemon!
Nov 25, 2019 10:32 PM

Apr 2016
HOLY CRAP

A tremendous leap in art, animation, music, episode directing, storytelling... damn!

There is a simple, yet very powerful feeling here: the longing for home. Being trapped in some dystopian nightmare without respite, and then being allowed a moment of reprieve at home... and then choosing to give that home up to try to save your friends... wow.

I guess that's what happens when Mamoru Hosoda directs an episode. Too bad he didn't direct more.

Dec 28, 2019 10:05 PM

May 2008
They just spoiled Hikari... I mean it's obvious since she's the only to remember (a hint at her future) but still... I don't like it.

I also didn't care for Taichi's turn around. It's not that he wanted to go back but that he was forced to because of the attack and Agumon leaving. Taichi may have selfish tendencies but after his douchey behavior he's not going to leave Agumon by himself. Right before the attack happened, Taichi was ready to give up. If it didn't... would Taichi ever decide to go back? The episode suggests not. If Agumon didn't decide to leave on his own, would Taichi? This episode suggests not.

And... that made the leaving less powerful. Because it wasn't his choice in the end.

If he had decided, maybe if he ran out wanting to find a way... Then it would have hit so much harder.

That said, I do love the color of this episode. We've been in the DW so long that for us, it's the norm, almost. Now that we're back in the RW in unusual circumstances... It does a good job of making the setting feel unreal, like it's the off world. The animation and art is top notch too.

Loved the first movie references and the hints of the time differences that leads to things happening without Taichi. This episode also tells us that yes, Taichi did know Koushiro, Sora, and Yamato before this: he wouldn't have their number otherwise. I would love to have seen those meetings. Have no thoughts on Hikari herself yet except... their parents left their sick kid alone? lol

I also liked that it's evolution that causes the rift to reopen...

I do have to wonder why it's Orgemon that targeted them when the other digimon could barely get an attack off, if that, before they disappeared. What made him so different other than it being a previous villain? And the episode needing it to get the duo back in the DW via the power of evolution?

And lastly... I'm amused that Taichi thinks it's Yamato calling him after waking up, not Sora or Koushirou. Right after the biggest Taiora episode in the season no less. I'll keep an eye out to see what happens on that end, heh heh.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeOct 5, 2020 2:57 AM
Aug 5, 2020 6:48 PM

Jan 2010
Just re-watched this episode for the first time in...20 years? It left an impression on me then and I can appreciate it in all sorts of new ways now. Love the trippy, almost Evangelion-esque art style and direction...and Ravel's Bolero complements the atmosphere perfectly. Easily the best episode from the first half of the series.
Sep 30, 2020 6:38 PM

Apr 2020
This episode (and the entire anime) is a masterpiece. The best anime episode I ever watched.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Oct 3, 2020 3:49 AM

Dec 2012
Koromon gets hit in the face.
The girl cried.
lol at Koromon asking Taichi as they run away.
Dat theme.
Odaiba.
Taichi's home.
lol at Koromon say gimme.
Its still August 1, 1999.
Time never moved in the real world.
Its Hikari.
Hikari remembers Koromon. The whistle.
Hikari has a cold.
No one else came back.
Taichi cooking.
Yamato taught Taichi.
Koromon looks scared shitless. I know that look.
Meramon. Seadramon. Yukidarumon.

HOSODA!!!!!!! The man who gifted us with his greatness at the start of the series with the movie returns to grace us with his greatness once more, which automatically makes this the best episode in the series. I love how Tyranomon (and Drimogemon) had that look Agumon had in the movie. Even current Agumon has it, but he his eyes look more conscious while the others look instinctive. So we know why the abnormal weather was happening around the world. The digimon also look bigger compared to their versions in the Digital World and its happened in Hosoda's works so far. Strange that Hikari remembers but Taichi doesn't, but I guess its one of those things that happens when you're a baby compared to being a bit older.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
anime-primeOct 11, 2020 12:21 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 11, 2021 4:43 PM

Jul 2013
This episode feels like a totally different show, and it is BY FAR the best episode yet.
Atmosphere, music, animation, emotion, dialogue, just everything about it.

God I wish I could buy Hosoda dinner sometimes.
Feb 19, 2022 7:41 AM

Feb 2015
Oh wow, this episode now was REALLY different from the rest.

I already a feeling this was done by Hosoda and now that I'm reading the comments here, it turns out I was right. ^^

Aug 9, 2023 2:52 PM

Oct 2015
This is one of the best chapters of the season in my opinion. It was one of the chapters that I remember the best because it was so shocking. The animation is beautiful, it reminds me to the first film of digimon, the one which is indirectly mentioned in the chapter. Thruthfully watch Tai struggle with the idea of going back to the Digiworld with his friends or staying home with his sister and his parents was perfectly delivered. It even almost made me cry at the end of the chapter!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 6 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 6, 2010

15 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 5 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

17 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 4 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 3 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 2 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 3, 2010

18 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.