Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 15, 2023 9:07 PM
Aug 2023
Story-wise, it’s better than Progressive and Alternative. It even feels a little like the original FLCL. Animation-wise, though, it’s some of the most jarring animation I’ve ever seen.
Sep 16, 2023 9:35 AM
Sep 2022
I thought because of the animation style, that it was gonna suck and tbh it wasn't that bad I'll just need to get use to it. I feel like the more episodes of it come out the more I'll like it
Sep 16, 2023 3:18 PM
Sep 2021
Everything that could be bad was bad.
Sep 17, 2023 4:27 PM
Sep 2023
Reply to MasterHavik
I don't get the hate here. It's fine. It's the weakest FLCL show by a mile but it's not that bad guys. I am starting to think OG fans are becoming toxic boomers. I wil lsay though this dub cast gotta step it up as Kari and Casey are carrying the dub hardcore.
@MasterHavik yeah. Just uncritically consume everything or you're toxic, bro.
Stop thinking about things, bro. Just vibe, bro. You're harshing my vibe with your failure to shovel slavish praise on every low budget glorified webtoon that comes out under a recognizable brand name, brahs.

In all seriousness, that was absolute dogshit. Sometimes dead is better.

Also I lol'd when they unironically used a "...at that moment, I..." voiceover at the end. Coming up with ideas is hard.
OfficerPoonSep 17, 2023 4:30 PM
Sep 18, 2023 11:05 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to OfficerPoon
@MasterHavik yeah. Just uncritically consume everything or you're toxic, bro.
Stop thinking about things, bro. Just vibe, bro. You're harshing my vibe with your failure to shovel slavish praise on every low budget glorified webtoon that comes out under a recognizable brand name, brahs.

In all seriousness, that was absolute dogshit. Sometimes dead is better.

Also I lol'd when they unironically used a "...at that moment, I..." voiceover at the end. Coming up with ideas is hard.
@OfficerPoon I mean didn't I say this was the weakest one? People on here and r/FLCL are acting like borderline toxic boomers. I have dunk on my fair amount of shows....but this? Nah this is just people who got a hate boner for CGI and kind of seem to forget the original is kind of the doing the same things this one is doing. But eh...let's watch episode 2.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Sep 19, 2023 12:22 AM
Jul 2011
Speaking of unnecessary, gee leave this poor anime rest already this new seasons are nothing but a waste of time.
Sep 28, 2023 4:38 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
He has hope, hope for a great future!!

Action, animation style poor and a plot regular!!!

kekeke
Oct 8, 2023 10:03 PM

Apr 2019
Well this was an interesting first episode, of three that is. Honestly thought it would have six but I suppose three is fine.
Seems like the other two episodes will focus on Shonari and Orinoko. So that should be interesting.

Not the biggest fan of cgi anime but it didn't look that bad all things considered. They also started the episode off with 'One Life' which is not only a fantastic song but fit the entire opening sequence pefectly. Also sounds like a new rerecording of it which slaps.

Oct 22, 2023 4:14 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This was ... a disaster if I've ever seen one before. I remember the original and the spin-offs being nothing but weird and chaotic, but this one felt like blind chaos with no purpose, and I liked it? I don't know, it's different, that's for sure.
Nov 3, 2023 6:08 PM

Nov 2010
I'm happy to see Haruko still looking attractive, even in this animation style. The action scenes are also impressive.
I enjoy the OST used here, and the surreal scenes make this an interesting watch.
Nov 7, 2023 1:15 PM
Aug 2012
This show made me physically ill more than any other anime I’ve seen. Even the most gory shows I’ve seen didn’t precipitate the reaction I had to this show.
Nov 15, 2023 12:19 PM

Aug 2017
Never liked any FLCL sequels and expected anything of the new ones, but on a technical level the CGI looks good and the occasional mix of 3D and 2D is creative. I just wish this studio spent their resources on some original project instead.

Also judging by Amarao's introduction, this "sequel" is actually a prequel of FLCL?
Nov 26, 2023 5:36 PM
Anime Archivist

Aug 2019
It only took one episode for me to see why this show has such a low score. This CGI is an.. acquired taste to say the least. Won't stop me from seeing it through, especially with how short it is.. but that doesn't mean I'm enjoying that aspect. I much prefer the original FLCL where it still had its charm along with the experimental animation of its time.

I suppose it's the same golden iron and the same thing poking out the head. We do have other elements like the Rockiens who can only ingest fluids. Would ship the MC with the daughter of the knife maker.
Mar 9, 3:02 AM

Oct 2013
It's not THAT bad... in fact I think it's MUCH BETTER than the previous sequels. It feels more grounded and close to the universe of the original anime...

But yeah, it's a "cgi anime"... don't think it's that ugly either though.
Mar 13, 1:56 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Superexplosion12
My expectations were already low just by judging from the poor marketing and even worse animation.

But it still managed to be more horrible than anything that I could have ever imagined would come from this thing. I don't remember seeing at any time in my life a more soulless, cheap and bizarre quick cash grabbing trash product than this. One episode is more than enough to know exactly what the people behind this atrocity want: money.

That was one of the most painful 24 minutes of my life. Progressive and Alternative were, at worse, mediocre, but this 1st episode as a whole was just unbearable garbage. It's a literal 24 minute low budget parody of all original FLCL episodes in one and that is honestly just sad and pathetic.

If you somehow managed to truly enjoy this first episode to some degree... well, great. I won't judge your taste, but, in my case, I was totally dead inside during the entire episode. Still, the effect on me was not as deadly as this direct injury to FLCL as a whole.

It's enough for me to call it quits and now just wait and hope that Shoegaze is at least animated in 2D. This anime is the first one that I'll proudly leave as Dropped on MAL.

P.S.: After reading some comments saying that this anime feels like FLCL, I'm now convinced that: 1. there's a mandela effect kinda shit going on and some of you just thought you had watched FLCL and you've actually watched some other shit or 2. you actually don't have the cognitive ability to spot when a show is literally mocking another one and somehow you think that's "having the same feel". Holy shit, bruh
Superexplosion12 said:
My expectations were already low just by judging from the poor marketing and even worse animation.

But it still managed to be more horrible than anything that I could have ever imagined would come from this thing. I don't remember seeing at any time in my life a more soulless, cheap and bizarre quick cash grabbing trash product than this.

That was one of the most painful 24 minutes of my life. Progressive and Alternative were, at worse, mediocre, but this 1st episode as a whole was just unbearable garbage. It's a literal 24 minute low budget parody of all original FLCL episodes in one and that is honestly just sad and pathetic.

too real !! nah like its insane how blatantly direct in ur face they do it, proudly??? im speechless fr </3
⡴⠒⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⠉⠳⡆⠀
⣇⠰⠉⢙⡄⠀⠀⣴⠖⢦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣆⠁⠙⡆
⠘⡇⢠⠞⠉⠙⣾⠃⢀⡼⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⡀⠄⢷⣄⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠰⠒⠲⡄⠀⣏⣆⣀⡍
⠀⢠⡏⠀⡤⠒⠃⠀⡜⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⠾⠛⡁⠀⠀⢀⣈⡉⠙⠳⣤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣆⠀⣇⡼⢋⠀⠀⢱
⠀⠘⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⡴⢋⡣⠊⡩⠋⠀⠀⠀⠣⡉⠲⣄⠀⠙⢆⠀⠀⠀⣸⠀⢉⠀⢀⠿⠀⢸
⠀⠀⠸⡄⠀⠈⢳⣄⡇⠀⠀⢀⡞⠀⠈⠀⢀⣴⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⡀⠀⠀⠀⠈⢧⠀⠀⢳⣰⠁⠀⠀⠀⣠⠃
⠀⠀⠀⠘⢄⣀⣸⠃⠀⠀⠀⡸⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠈⣇⠀⠀⠙⢄⣀⠤⠚⠁⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡇⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⠀⠀⠀⢹⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⠀⢘⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡇⠀⢰⣿⣿⣿⡿⠛⠁⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⠀⣼⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⡀⣸⣿⣿⠟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⡀⢀⠇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⡇⠹⠿⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⢿⡿⠁⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠻⣤⣞⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢢⣀⣠⠇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠲⢤⣀⣀⠀⢀⣀⣀⠤⠒⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Apr 10, 7:53 PM

Aug 2019
I think this is the first time I've been this exhausted just from sitting there and watching something.
May 4, 3:46 AM
Jan 2024
CGI wasn't that bad. But the shot composition genuinely sucks.
OG series left you sit with silences between characters and scenic shots. It left you reflect on character motivations.
This show left me alone with character once and the shot it left us on REALLY wanted to show me the green box in an alley. This box looked almost highlighted. This box never showed up again.

The plot is stricter then ruler and only ever is used show worldbuilding.

Only Haruka allowed to talk around her motivation, lie or do irrational things.
Everyone else, it seems, understand this city, themselves and people around them perfectly, and only talk to explain it to other people.

I liked Japanese dub. There's not much to like aside from that.

It doesn't feel like FLCL, it feels like one guy came up with "The theory that explains everything in FLCL (and also Haruka worked with sex workers)" and tries to explain his theory with power point dialectical presentation.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» This IS Fooly Cooly

benniboii - Sep 11, 2023

22 by benniboii »»
May 9, 9:14 PM

Poll: » FLCL: Grunge Episode 3 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Sep 23, 2023

30 by Titadou »»
Mar 9, 10:04 AM

Poll: » FLCL: Grunge Episode 2 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Sep 16, 2023

21 by MizuhoKamui »»
Nov 3, 2023 11:27 PM

» Why won't they let it die?!

AnimeMastery - Sep 15, 2023

3 by AnimeMastery »»
Oct 13, 2023 5:18 PM

» stop milking this series :(

EmilCioran - Mar 18, 2022

36 by xBuster6 »»
Sep 12, 2023 6:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.