Forum Settings
Forums

quote button extension for the forums (brings back the quote button)

New
Sep 1, 2023 12:13 AM

Aug 2014
i made a Chrome extension that brings back the Quote button

install from here

When extension is installed, the "Quote" button is displayed next to More/Gift/Reply buttons

any bugs and problems please report here: https://github.com/ewnjtgouierg/mal_quote_bugs/issues
or post a comment in this thread or on my profile. thanks

!!!DISCLAIMER!!! this tool is created solely to help forum users who, like me, have problems with the new interface. It does not in any way intend to tamper with the MAL site or interfere with their development of the interface according to their vision.

Technically, all the extension does is automating the manual process of selecting the message, clicking copy, then scrolling to the New Reply, clicking it, and pasting the copied code in the reply field, which is right now an official way to quote in MAL's classic interface.

I will gladly adjust the extension code so that quotations created with it are handled properly by the new (reddit-like) forum view, as soon as the MAL's interface becomes stable and it is clear how it should be done
OniMageJan 30, 10:52 AM
Sep 1, 2023 2:10 AM

Oct 2013
I agree, there should be a separate button for quoting, if Reply is to stay as one of tree view mode elements. Quote button made conversations clearer, not to forget about how easy it was to be used and how helpful its role was to maintain decent flow of most of discussions (if not all, if we exclude a situation when somebody has quoted the wrong post).
Sep 1, 2023 4:07 PM

Mar 2008
Second time they have done this shit. They are even trying to make it against rules to quote more than one person rofl

I even gave instructions how they can possibly do conversation view without removing basic functionality every forum has but they didnt listen.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2097150
Sep 6, 2023 1:09 PM

Aug 2014
to install latest version manually:

OniMageSep 7, 2023 7:52 AM
Sep 6, 2023 2:18 PM
Dec 2021
You can tell mal forums are run by noobs with ZERO notion of UX lmaoo
AnimeIs4KidzSep 7, 2023 10:22 AM
Sep 7, 2023 3:10 AM

Aug 2014
the version in Chrome web store has been reviewed/updated so it is the latest and works (or at least should work) in all threads;
if you encounter a bug - please just comment in this thread
OniMageSep 7, 2023 3:13 AM
Sep 7, 2023 7:44 AM

Aug 2014
Just uploaded the latest version that supports:

- nested quotes
- spoilers
- most of the bbcode

will probably get updated in Chrome web store tomorrow
until then it is available on here for manual install
Sep 20, 2023 4:09 PM

Oct 2013
It's so "lovely" to not being able to quote small portions of various posts while using MAL through mobile browsers. Sarcasm aside, it's a hassle, and the saddest thing is that probably it won't be brought back.

Seriously, does it require that much amount of work and time to bring back the quotation button? I can see it interrupting with the new view, but restricting it only to the Classic view might've fixed all hypothetical issues that could've occurred, had this button been available for both views, or had it become available sometime later.
Sep 20, 2023 5:24 PM

Dec 2019
@Adnash

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/474938-quotes-mal
Added support to the mobile mal website
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Sep 20, 2023 6:04 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to hacker09
@Adnash

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/474938-quotes-mal
Added support to the mobile mal website
@hacker09 Thank you, I appreciate it. Something tells me that if you were in charge of coding on MAL, then this forum would've looked and worked better, haha.

That being said, I still think this shouldn't be left to users to wait for unofficial scripts improving the overall, very basic experience, or to create them by themselves. Such things should come out directly from MAL staff. Lack of official solutions and relying on the talented users who are fluent in coding (and therefore they're capable of creating good and working scripts) makes the whole website look really unprofessional.

Edit: I fixed messed up text to make it not look as gibberish as before, lol.
AdnashSep 20, 2023 10:08 PM
Sep 20, 2023 9:53 PM

Dec 2019
Reply to Adnash
@hacker09 Thank you, I appreciate it. Something tells me that if you were in charge of coding on MAL, then this forum would've looked and worked better, haha.

That being said, I still think this shouldn't be left to users to wait for unofficial scripts improving the overall, very basic experience, or to create them by themselves. Such things should come out directly from MAL staff. Lack of official solutions and relying on the talented users who are fluent in coding (and therefore they're capable of creating good and working scripts) makes the whole website look really unprofessional.

Edit: I fixed messed up text to make it not look as gibberish as before, lol.
@Adnash

You are welcome!

Thanks hahahah!

Agreed...
hacker09Sep 20, 2023 10:14 PM

Sep 20, 2023 10:11 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to hacker09
@Adnash

You are welcome!

Thanks hahahah!

Agreed...
hacker09 said:
Agreed... I guess... parts of your text got all messed up but I guess I understood everything...
Oh my, I apologize. I was really tired back when I was typing that and I was about to take a nap. That's why I didn't check up my post before sending it. Writing it on my mobile device (ironically, since my complaint referred to one of functionalities as seen, or rather not, on mobile devices), with autocorrect turned on, surely didn't help in avoiding gibberish looking text or other weird looking errors that might've been, and surely were, confusing. I've already fixed it. Thank you for pointing it out. I'd probably not notice that, at least not in the nearest future, haha.
Jan 6, 1:36 PM

Aug 2014
lol not sure if anyone other than me still uses it, but it stopped working soon after the New Year, sorry! i just submitted the fixed version for review, hopefully will get updated in browsers in a day or two
Jan 6, 3:52 PM

Dec 2019
OniMage said:
lol not sure if anyone other than me still uses it, but it stopped working soon after the New Year, sorry! i just submitted the fixed version for review, hopefully will get updated in browsers in a day or two

you can use my script while this one isn't fixed

Jan 7, 12:04 AM

Aug 2014
OniMage said:

the fix 's been rolled out
Jan 29, 6:27 AM

Aug 2014
any bugs you experience please report here:

https://github.com/ewnjtgouierg/mal_quote_bugs/issues

(if you have problems adding them there - post in this thread or message me)
Thanks!
OniMageJan 29, 7:15 AM

More topics from this board

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
8 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
8 hours ago

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - Today

1 by Astachanna »»
8 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
Today, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.