Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2023 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
It's a very relaxing intro for the first episode. Ryza, Tao, Lent, etc got introduced from the game although this follows more of its own anime story so far.

Ryza's adventurous personality is also pretty evident in this and she carries a level of energy among the group. While the story isn't complex, I like the JRPGish world setting (obviously it's based on a game as well). Pretty relaxing episode for a double length. Most of it focused on Ryza and her friends but I think it was a neat start. It did have some generic JRPG monsters like slimes though. The alchemy elements were light but glad to see them in the show. 

As expected, there were also some action elements. Interesting to also see Lila show up.
Jul 1, 2023 9:00 AM

Jul 2017
Episode 1 being an hour-long fest to showcase the entire beginning section of the plot, it's ambitious given how big Atelier is of a franchise, with this anime adaptation based off the 2019 game of the same name, being the 1st in the Ryza Secret series.

Also, the earlier Spring 2014 anime, Escha & Logy is a rather subpar show because of both the reception back then (which is to be expected of game adaptations), and it being the 2nd game in the Dusk series (which does not connect well with anime-onlies).

Sangatsu no Phantasia is back with a rather nice OP, and so is Awkmiu's ED. A very good OST, this is great.

Reisalin "Ryza" Stout finally makes it into anime stardom along with her THICC thighs, along with her Rasenboden Village on Kurken Island and the other iconic characters that are signatures in their own right, including her friends of Tao Mongarten and Lent Marslink, where she is looking for a rather different life from the one that she is forced to live into. With the intent of going on an adventure outside Kurken Island, Ryza's going to break the age-old tradition. The trio of friends going to the port, only to find NPCs like Agatha Harmon inspecting the ships, and she makeshifts a boat with no sail, which brings danger, but that it brings power and strength if they pursue the unknown.

While Agatha awaits the arrival of a ship, the trio starts their adventure encountering the Fairystone Forest, though they coincidently meet the travelling merchant Klaudia Valentz (who's travelling with her father Lubart) beating down Monster Hunter-like slimes. Whilst Klaudia follows them on the road to nowhere, which they got lost and encounter even stronger Pixie monsters, though this time, being rescued by alchemist Empel Vollmer and his female warrior bodyguard Lila Decyrus, tending to their injuries, which got Ryza all the more intrigued on his alchemy skills, other than it not being seen before outside of the village. The trio got caught anyways as a result of Klaudia wandering off on her own, though this is where both Empel and Lila separate ways to stay behind and investigate the lost Klint Kingdom.

Lubart being introduced to Rasenboden Village's head mayor Moritz Brunnen, and as much as the "righteous" people of Moritz's son Bos and Lumbar Dorn are there as instigators to bully the trio of their mis-"adventures", there is no stopping her. Ryza, along with Tao and Lent, go to see both Empel and Lila to learn skills from the both of them: in both alchemy (Ryza & Tao) and combat (Lent), though initially at the limit of time, but they can advance their research in return that they have what they need: combat through Lent, research through Tao, and aptitude to learn through Ryza, which surprises Empel all the more that Ryza can learn to become an alchemist.

This is director Emma Yuzuriha's debut show, and if Atelier Ryza could have this level of an adaptation, then it'll sure impress surprisingly to the fans who've already played the game on the released console platforms, PC or Steam.
KANLen09Jul 2, 2023 12:49 PM
Jul 1, 2023 9:53 AM

Apr 2010
Episode of one hour is rare tho it's not unheard of mostly for the first episode tho making me wonder if we get more one hour episodes or wether this was 2 episodes.
So far it seems somewhat innocent especially the behaviour of Ryza unaware of any possible danger it's nice to see things ended well and it's nice to see she has potential in the job she is aiming for.
Hopefully she will be able to complete her training and set out on what she wants to do even if some don't like what she is doing.  
Jul 1, 2023 9:55 AM
Dec 2020
i literally don't know anything about this show's story, but i saw the trailers, some visuals, looks good and chill..i hope it will worth it
Jul 1, 2023 10:11 AM

Feb 2019
Goddamn what are they feeding this girl

Thighs aside, this is actually a really cute and fun show. I downloaded the game months ago, but never got around to playing it. Will definitely check it out now. Promo worked on me lol.

I like the trend of first episodes being an hour long we’ve got lately. Really gives you a mini movie event feeling and sucks you in. The sense of adventure in this one is really cool. Can’t wait to see what places Ryza and her group go off to explore.
Marinate1016Jul 1, 2023 10:37 AM
Jul 1, 2023 10:29 AM

Dec 2020
An 50 minute long episode that was a really relax an nice episode about ryza tao and lent was encouraging her adventure and meet with Klaudia and then she was fascinated by the alchemy so she has the talent for it nice.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jul 1, 2023 10:30 AM

Dec 2020

True haha with these thighs.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jul 1, 2023 10:55 AM

Apr 2020
Got more thighs than Yuusha Ga Shinda
Jul 1, 2023 10:55 AM
May 2018
Thighs saves lifes
Jul 1, 2023 10:59 AM

Mar 2021
really enjoyed this first episode can already tell am going to love watching this series
Jul 1, 2023 11:03 AM

Jul 2017
This episode felt like 3 hours when watching it, this show is not my kind of thing to be honest.
Jul 1, 2023 11:09 AM

Jun 2023
It's been a while since I played the game, so I loved revisiting the town of Rasenboden and seeing it through a different lens. I'm getting the same cozy vibes that I got from the game so far. Can't wait to see where it goes!
What have you done today to deserve your eyes?

Jul 1, 2023 11:12 AM

Jul 2021
Some of my irl friends actually played this game so I'm curious about the story in the anime form, even though I never even touch the game myself. So far it's pretty much those RPG games, been loving those elements lately, even if it's depicted in a conventional way a lot of times. This is going to be something relaxing from what I can tell by the adventure given the amount of length in this episode. 
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 1, 2023 11:27 AM
Apr 2018
She's a farmer's daughter eating fresh produce every day. I am pretty sure the busty farmer's daughter trope has been around forever.
Jul 1, 2023 11:28 AM

Feb 2019
CommanderZx2 said:
She's a farmer's daughter eating fresh produce every day. I am pretty sure the busty farmer's daughter trope has been around forever.

Ackshually dude it’s been around forever 🤓🤓
Jul 1, 2023 11:34 AM
Sep 2021
I'll watch just for the beautiful pair of majestic thighs. And the quality is insane too.
Jul 1, 2023 11:37 AM

Oct 2017
KANLen09 said:
This is director Emma Yuzuriha's debut show, and if Atelier Ryza could have this level of an adaptation, then it'll sure impress surprisingly to the fans who've already played the game on either the Nintendo Switch or PS4.
It's on pc/windows too.
Jul 1, 2023 11:38 AM
Oct 2021
what a promising first episode! immediately felt drawn to the MC and felt like the episode itself was fully fleshed out - i like how they took their time and went with a 50 min opener
Jul 1, 2023 11:51 AM

Feb 2016
Woah that was quite the downgrade in comparison to the first trailer released, idk, it looked more lively on the trailer.

Ryza running in the first few minutes looked very stiff and awkward, there's many shots (mid-range to long range) that looks very awful:

In terms of Audiovisual production, aside from the backgrounds, this leaves too much to be desired, I think we might have another case of Nier Automata in our hands here, we'll have to wait and see if the big dinosaur is hand drawn or if they'll use ugly CG to animate it, I sure hope it's hand drawn because I don't want to be disappointed further. Also, the lack of OST in scenes does add up to stuff feeling a little bit lifeless.

disappointment aside, at least the voice acting as well as the story (except for the fact that seems like Klaudia will be an archer instead of supporting with a flute) seems like it's going to be a decent adaptation of the first game events.

I'm going to keep watching hoping this gets better, at least the long background shots does look great.

@animejas Honestly I can't blame you, not only is the adaptation mediocre, Atelier by itself is supposed to be a relaxing SoL~ish game but the anime kinda failed to portray it well

@KANLen09 funny you say that as I found this display to be disappointing in comparison to the game.
CrimsonWandererJul 1, 2023 12:08 PM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 1, 2023 11:53 AM

Nov 2016
So mid that they poured everything into one...two elements.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 1, 2023 12:04 PM
Aug 2017
Love the game, turned out pretty good. I think they understand the game well and I'm really looking forward to see how they'll adapt it because it's really light on its story… but I guess that's still better than trying to fit a story-heavy game into 2 cours like Tales of Zestiria and Persona 5.

Animation is mediocre at best but that was to be expected from Lidenfilms.

Also happy to see my girl Klaudia.
Salmon is really the fish of all time.
Jul 1, 2023 12:17 PM

May 2020
This put me to sleep, and that's never a good sign. Heck even the thickness, which was the biggest talking point could even hold the proportion right in numbered frames.
FMmatron said:
So mid that they poured everything into one...two elements.
Lol, just one actually.
Jul 1, 2023 12:26 PM

Mar 2017
wassup with the overly long first episodes of new series recently?
Jul 1, 2023 12:29 PM

Apr 2022
I want Ryza to give me a thigh job

Apart from that kinda boring but I'll give it a chance
Jul 1, 2023 12:36 PM
May 2017
Very good first episode! Ryza, the cute and lovely alchemist with the thigs!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jul 1, 2023 12:51 PM
Sep 2018
Começou muito bem, 48 minutos bem distribuídos com muito desenvolvimento e apresentação de personagens carismáticos
Jul 1, 2023 12:52 PM

Sep 2016
It's odd saying this since Ryza 1 only came out 4 years ago, but this felt oddly nostalgic. Fun first episode.

Also, kinda hilarious seeing people being surprised that this mostly a slice of life anime. Because that's basically 80% of the game. lol
Jul 1, 2023 1:27 PM

Sep 2014
I've played all 3 ryza games so I've been excited for this adaptaion and the first episode was very promising. 

I'm not sure what the people who say it was boring were expecting as the games are mostly pretty casual and lighthearted, so the anime will obviously bring the same vibes.

The animation is amazing apart from some iffy shots and they've done the story and characters justice so far, and if they hopefully adapt all 3 games then it will only get better. (and the thighs even thicker.)
Jul 1, 2023 1:40 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Was an ok start. wasnt expecting it to be 48 mins but all i care about are the thighs so as long as I get plenty of shots throughtout the season, it should be an okay show. 
Jul 1, 2023 1:40 PM

Feb 2018
honestly, i enjoyed it more than i thought it would
i know a bit about it from the game, but its been a while so for the most part it seems new
the animation isn't anything crazy, but to me this should be a series that doesn't have to rely on that
chill fantasy series like this i really enjoy
probably be a chill watch throughout the week for me!
Jul 1, 2023 1:53 PM
Nov 2022
[ep spoilers] I'm just 10 mins in and tbh I'm struggling here. The art style is very good, and while the animation gets a bit rough when showing more than half of their bodies it is still tolerable. But the main character is already very annoying and unlikable. Her dad seems to be very caring and while her mother is a bit strict she doesn't appear to be nasty or controlling, just wanting her child to be responsible. We see them living a relatively idyllic lifestyle in a very comfortable looking house with a farm, yet the mc is constantly complaining about how she doesn't want to work and wants an adventure. She complains about how "staying on this island is what's ruining us", but the viewers have seen and heard nothing except a cushy, peaceful lifestyle. In fact we've hardly seen much of the island or village at all, but what we have seen seems fairly well off. Then of course she forces her friends (who seem more than happy with their life and at least one of which seems to have goals for their future) to take part in an extremely risky escape plan to sail away to a different land just because she's bored, childish and irresponsible. Can the story pick up? Yeah I guess. Do I have high hopes that it will? From what I've seen, no. But I'll struggle through a bit more. (Also her character design is 💀)
Jul 1, 2023 1:59 PM
Feb 2022
I ain’t gonna lie so far this looks boring as hell
Jul 1, 2023 2:01 PM

Jun 2017
I haven't played the games but I like it so far. It's pretty chill.
Jul 1, 2023 2:02 PM
Jun 2022
Ryza and her nice Thighs ✅
Jul 1, 2023 2:14 PM

Mar 2020
From the trailers I saw earlier about this, I must admit, this was a bit underwhelming at least in the visual department. Story wise, we're just getting started, but it was honestly a little boring and slow for my liking. It has a good adventure vibe to it but it'll have to do a bit more to really have me invested. Some of the music was decent, and there were some good backgrounds, but just a mediocre start if you ask me. Hopefully it gets better.
Jul 1, 2023 2:15 PM

Jul 2020
not a bad start, I don't know anything about the source game but the episode was quite okay, there are fantasy shows that start off much worse than this. everybody mentions the thighs, yeah, can't argue with that, the thighs look really good 
Jul 1, 2023 2:31 PM
Feb 2023
1 hours feel like 3 hours
Jul 1, 2023 2:37 PM
Nov 2022
Drabkebab said:
[ep spoilers] I'm just 10 mins in and tbh I'm struggling here. The art style is very good, and while the animation gets a bit rough when showing more than half of their bodies it is still tolerable. But the main character is already very annoying and unlikable. Her dad seems to be very caring and while her mother is a bit strict she doesn't appear to be nasty or controlling, just wanting her child to be responsible. We see them living a relatively idyllic lifestyle in a very comfortable looking house with a farm, yet the mc is constantly complaining about how she doesn't want to work and wants an adventure. She complains about how "staying on this island is what's ruining us", but the viewers have seen and heard nothing except a cushy, peaceful lifestyle. In fact we've hardly seen much of the island or village at all, but what we have seen seems fairly well off. Then of course she forces her friends (who seem more than happy with their life and at least one of which seems to have goals for their future) to take part in an extremely risky escape plan to sail away to a different land just because she's bored, childish and irresponsible. Can the story pick up? Yeah I guess. Do I have high hopes that it will? From what I've seen, no. But I'll struggle through a bit more. (Also her character design is 💀)

Yeah idk about this one chief 😅 for lack of better terminology it just feels generic, or uninspired. People are saying that watching this first ep felt like 3 hours and I definitely agree, I really hope they don't have these long eps going forward. And it turned out going on that stupid and reckless "adventure" didn't even matter, if they had just stayed on the island they would have ended up bumping into all the same characters anyway. I'll watch another couple eps at least to see if it improves but from the first ep alone, if you weren't already a fan of the games then I can't recommend this currently
Jul 1, 2023 2:50 PM

Jul 2011
I wasn't going to say anything but, with that many shots on Ryza horrible stupid dumb boots(?). To the hell with that ugly part of Ryza's outfit. Other than that, Ryza's design is great.

Ryza and Lila, looking great.

Did I already said that I hate Ryza shoes?
Jul 1, 2023 2:58 PM

Jun 2015
Thicc thighs save lives
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jul 1, 2023 3:21 PM

Jul 2016
I know little-to-nothing about the games. Just watching this for the thighs.

That said, very mediocre start overall. Tao whining all the time was annoying and Ryza's unapologetic behaviour towards everyone lowkey got on my nerves.
Jul 1, 2023 3:28 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I know we came here for the thighs, but the first episode was a little too long for a series that is more of a slice of life RPG. It felt like they were trying too hard to make you play their games. I was already interested in the games already, but I don't high expectations since anime based on video games don't turn out so well after hearing what happened to Nier Automata.
Jul 1, 2023 3:31 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Before I get into my thoughts on this one, here’s a little story, so I got this game back when it came out in 2019 and played a good chunk of it but got stuck on a boss and stopped. I came back to it in the fall last year because a show was airing at the time by the name of “Management of a Novice Alchemist” which reminded me of it, and I actually finished the game a little over a month ago. But while I was playing the game I found this anime adaptation was coming out, some very nice timing lol.

My not so interesting story aside, it’s nice to finally see this anime! Damn it really looks good too, the art and animation are very nice, the backgrounds are awesome too because I recognized a lot of the locations from the game, and the pacing so far is great, tho I have a feeling the speed may be cranked up if this is a complete adaptation.

And of course there’s the thing everyone is yapping about, being Ryza’s thighs lol. Yes they’re extra thicc, yes the animators are focusing hard on them, and yes they were what got me interested in the game back in the day, but when you get past the thighs I found this series to have a very nice cast of characters and a fun story, so I hope this is a good adaptation going forward! And that was also a very nice OP and ED, especially that ED because wow I loved that song.
Jul 1, 2023 4:02 PM

Jun 2013
Thick Thighs Save Lives
Jul 1, 2023 4:31 PM

Sep 2021
I'm suprised this one started with a double episode. The start to the adventure seemed like a good place to cut it in half, but I don't mind it, of course.

Overall a decent start. The effects and sceneries are beautiful!
Otherwise it was slow, but from what I've seen that's common for adventure shows. I prefer having shows take time to establishing setting and characters first instead of going off with action no viewer could keep up with.

But what this show needs is something to make it special. So far it really felt like an RPG prologue chapter. And since this is a Game Adaptation, I'm slightly worried.
Jul 1, 2023 4:41 PM

Jun 2016
The real title is: "Ryza's Glorious Thighs", and she's a very healthy girl overall... ;P
Very interesting anime and high quality animation, I liked it very much.
Jul 1, 2023 4:47 PM
Aug 2021
It was so overly happy-go-lucky I was certain it would have a drastic tonal shift by the end. But no, it stayed the same until the end, and my guess is that it won't pull a Madoka any time soon. In any case, this seems to be the relaxing fantasy anime of this season.

All characters are tropey but not in an annoying way. At least they have motivation and something to look forward to.

That ending didn't have to go that hard but it did anyways.

I don't have high expectations from this yet, but it is watchable and unless it turns stupid or loses it's pace, I probably will watch it thoroughly.
Jul 1, 2023 4:52 PM

Nov 2012
Oskaroo said:
I ain’t gonna lie so far this looks boring as hell
I fell asleep twice. Wide awake now that it's over.  I guess it's bad when you find the MC annoying af in the first episode.

The title is misleading. She's not an atelier nor does she have a shop. I thought she was going to be a designer or artist. A better title would've been Ryka no Alchemist. 
dragynfaerieJul 1, 2023 4:58 PM
Jul 1, 2023 5:02 PM
Apr 2023
As much as I liked it, the build is too slow for the main event, but when it arrives it's a little worth it
Jul 1, 2023 5:03 PM

Sep 2020
Absolutely marvelous first episode, a real treat for Atelier fans.
I mean, I was obviously expecting a substantial upgrade from the Atelier E&L adaptation and the original Blue Reflection Ray anime thanks to Ryza becoming a multi-million seller Atelier sub-series, but actually witnessing an Atelier game receiving an anime this good is blowing my mind.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryza no Atelier: Tokoyami no Joou to Himitsu no Kakurega Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2023

33 by SuperAdventure »»
Yesterday, 6:42 PM

Poll: » Ryza no Atelier: Tokoyami no Joou to Himitsu no Kakurega Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2023

66 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 22, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Ryza no Atelier: Tokoyami no Joou to Himitsu no Kakurega Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2023

26 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 21, 11:37 PM

Poll: » Ryza no Atelier: Tokoyami no Joou to Himitsu no Kakurega Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2023

30 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 21, 11:13 PM

Poll: » Ryza no Atelier: Tokoyami no Joou to Himitsu no Kakurega Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2023

23 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 21, 10:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.