Forum Settings
Forums

Web Novel Writing Contest 2023: Win $3,000 USD & Get Published!

New
May 22, 2023 8:02 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Have you ever dreamt about one of your stories being adapted into manga?
Thought of the perfect plot, but weren't sure how to get published?

The MyAnimeList x Honeyfeed Writing Contest is back to help you realize that dream! Three contest winners will have their stories reviewed by a professional and may get the chance to debut with their very own manga—published by Kodansha in Japan.

Changes since 2022's Writing Contest:
  • Novels written before the contest and published on any web platform cannot be submitted.
  • Three prompt categories have been reduced to one (1) main prompt with two (2) different subplots.
  • First prize of each subplot category (Isekai, Present-Day) will receive $3,000 USD each.
  • The best runner-up of either category will also receive $3,000 USD to make three (3) winners total.

So what are you waiting for? It's time to get writing!

Submissions Opens June 1

Entry Closes August 31
May 23, 2023 12:07 AM

Jan 2009
lets see how the critics here like negative reviewers can make a better story than demon slayer for example
May 23, 2023 1:17 AM

Sep 2008
This is awesome but I don't think I have anything that matches the vibe they want.
May 23, 2023 1:50 AM

Aug 2020
Kineta said:
Three prompt categories have been reduced to one (1) main prompt with two (2) different subplots.

Oh wow, that's probably the dumbest change you could have possibly made, it leaves literally no variety in genres for writers anymore. And then THAT's the single remaining prompt you picked, on top of that? Because the world of light novels isn't already flooded enough with male-focused isekai romance, or what?
Sorry if I sound salty, but I am. I was really looking forward to what topics we'd get this year, and now it's reduced to ONE topic, and such an overdone one at that?

Well I for sure won't be participating. Good luck to anyone who does though =_=
May 23, 2023 4:42 AM

Dec 2020
Kineta said:
stories reviewed by a professional and may

AND MAY

lol this is so funny

no one is getting published lol
May 23, 2023 5:43 AM

Jan 2021
Good luck!
Roxy

May 23, 2023 5:49 AM
Apr 2023
in 3 years , a manga will published . it will have the name of a star . the main character's name is Nagito . this manga will trescend the fiction world by bringing the most mind-bending , full of plot-twists , mystery and action thriller story . it will introduce a never ever seen mysterious concept in the most original psychological scenario , outclassing easily classics such as 20 century boys , attack on titan ...
First and last hint : the story won't begin ..... until HE says it began .

THE STAR IS COMING .2026 . . .

(This story and manga will not participate in this contest due to it being the BEST creation of fiction in the world , thus , no professional is professional enough to dare rate it )
May 23, 2023 7:57 AM

Apr 2014
Yus, round 3/year 3 begins
Gosh I'm getting old lol 
Good luck to everyone entering 
May 23, 2023 9:28 AM

Sep 2009
I would love to join a contest like this, but the only genre categories available have been done to hell and back. :\

Best of luck to everyone entering, though, especially in the isekai category…
May 23, 2023 9:46 AM

Oct 2014
Last year and this year genres have not been in my favor. I wish the genre wasn't so specific lmao I can do romance just not happy ones. I think I can do adult wholesome but not teen wholesome... I don't like teenagee love story, like sorry. I can do fantasy too but I'm not into isekais. I'm determined to enter this year though so I guess I'll just marathon like 5 isekais and see what I can come up with.

AngelQuarts said:
I would love to join a contest like this, but the only genre categories available have been done to hell and back. :\

Best of luck to everyone entering, though, especially in the isekai category…

I think they picked Isekai and wholeromance because it's likely to be adapted as a manga than any other.
May 23, 2023 9:37 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
While I am happy that Honeyfeed x MAL contests have returned and hope that they continue to return for a distant future, I do wish that the main contest prompt and subplots/themes were ones that weren't already prevalent in popular manga and light novels, especially with the isekai genre. Here's to hoping future contests do more cool things like introducing the Cyberpunk theme last year.

deg said:
lets see how the critics here like negative reviewers can make a better story than demon slayer for example
It will be interesting to see for sure. Good luck to anyone competing this year.
May 23, 2023 11:38 PM

Mar 2017
While I entered last year's MAL x Honeyfeed's 2022 challenge, I'm unsure if I want to give it another go. It was my first time writing something but it really took a toll on me. I only started midway July and the word count made me write more instead of smarter, so I wasn't satisfied... We'll see if I take up the mantle again but I'm kind of in the mood to write something romantic (way opposite of last year's Cyberpunk theme), so "Wholesome Romance from the Male Point of View" might be very interesting to me :)
May 24, 2023 1:32 PM
Dec 2021
I knew they were gonna do Isekai for this year’s Honeyfeed contest!
But the categories have been narrowed down too much.
May 24, 2023 1:34 PM
Dec 2021
deg said:

Oh, you haven’t checked Honeyfeed? You should, there are… a lot of stories. Writing is hard we all know that, which is why we criticize others for writing badly. It’s basically ourselves we are criticizing.
May 24, 2023 1:36 PM
Dec 2021
Honestly it’s kinda sad that the stories that won the previous ones have not been published in Japan or adapted into anything, manga or anime.

They probably just translated it, read it, then throw it in some dark corner never to be opened again
May 25, 2023 2:37 AM
May 2023
I have a story in mind but more than a story...it feels like comedy on a day-to-day basis. (Eg: nichijou, daily lives of high school boys) so i don't think that'll work. Good luck to the rest of the people submitting.
May 25, 2023 6:39 AM

Jun 2014
I love writing but I'm not sure my style really fits what they're looking for. I'd like to write something in the vein of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou but that won't be possible with this contest (unless I go for a comfy post apocalyptic isekai? Original idea pl0x do not steal) . Also, you can only pick between a male POV feel-good romance story set in an isekai or present day if I'm reading this correctly? That really narrows the possibilities down by a lot. Isekai has been done to death, I would've liked something more original.
I'll be on holiday for most of July but I'll try to crank something out by the end of August, just for fun.
PernodiMay 25, 2023 7:24 AM

May 25, 2023 10:42 AM

Jun 2008
Tried the first 2 times, but I don't know if I can write "wholesome romance". I had an idea for fantasy with some some romance, but it was action focused... I'll try to rethink it.
May 26, 2023 8:44 AM
Mar 2023
Fario-P said:
While I am happy that Honeyfeed x MAL contests have returned and hope that they continue to return for a distant future, I do wish that the main contest prompt and subplots/themes were ones that weren't already prevalent in popular manga and light novels, especially with the isekai genre. Here's to hoping future contests do more cool things like introducing the Cyberpunk theme last year.

deg said:
It will be interesting to see for sure. Good luck to anyone competing this year.
I'm still confused why they chose isekai, probably one of the worst anime genres out there...

cacagorilla will take over
May 26, 2023 8:02 PM

Jun 2010
I actually can do some of it for a change, haha. Can we promote our stories on other social media except mal and honeyfeed?
May 27, 2023 2:07 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
cacagorilla said:
Fario-P said:

I'm still confused why they chose isekai, probably one of the worst anime genres out there...
Eh, I'm not that surprised honestly, considering how popular the contest premise/prompt is in Japan with sites like Shousetsuka ni Narou (JP equivalent of Wattpad that's infamous for these OP isekai'd male power fantasies that are somehow getting adapted left and right); wholesome romances are also slowly making their onto seasonals for the past few years with series like A Galaxy Next Door, The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten, My Dress-Up Darling, Komi Can't Communicate, Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie, Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible, Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out, Horimiya, and TONIKAWA. These genres were probably picked because Kodansha wants to cater to the demand for this frankly oversaturated market, and maybe wants to see how the West can do with that.

That being said, I'm sure there could still be some value behind the genre choice since Ascendance of a Bookworm is a godtier isekai.
May 27, 2023 3:00 PM
Mar 2023
Fario-P said:
cacagorilla said:
Eh, I'm not that surprised honestly, considering how popular the contest premise/prompt is in Japan with sites like Shousetsuka ni Narou (JP equivalent of Wattpad that's infamous for these OP isekai'd male power fantasies that are somehow getting adapted left and right); wholesome romances are also slowly making their onto seasonals for the past few years with series like A Galaxy Next Door, The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten, My Dress-Up Darling, Komi Can't Communicate, Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie, Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible, Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out, Horimiya, and TONIKAWA. These genres were probably picked because Kodansha wants to cater to the demand for this frankly oversaturated market, and maybe wants to see how the West can do with that.

That being said, I'm sure there could still be some value behind the genre choice since Ascendance of a Bookworm is a godtier isekai.
I think if they tried something new then more people would be interested, it's cool to see new things appear in manga.
                                 cacagorilla will take over
May 27, 2023 6:18 PM

Mar 2016
ChizuruFan23 said:
AND MAY

lol this is so funny

no one is getting published lol
lmao exactly

May 27, 2023 6:35 PM

Aug 2012
I'm super down to enter and I probably will but I have to say it's pretty dumb to take cover art into account for a writing contest. I guess they need to something to show off during the voting and/or results process? Either way not a fan of that rule.
May 28, 2023 10:06 AM

Jun 2014
cosmicturtle0 said:
I'm super down to enter and I probably will but I have to say it's pretty dumb to take cover art into account for a writing contest. I guess they need to something to show off during the voting and/or results process? Either way not a fan of that rule.

Guess we'll have to commission an artist, which costs money, just to be eligible. It really does suck. I know a good cover does a lot to garner impressions. But I'd rather do something like Penguin Classics does with their books, which is to put classic art on the cover. That way I won't have to pay an artist for a contest I'm doing for fun.
I wonder if AI-generated covers will be a thing, or even allowed at all.
PernodiJun 2, 2023 11:07 AM

May 28, 2023 8:30 PM

Jun 2010
They said you can use AI as long as you credit it.
May 28, 2023 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
I’m excited for it, I’ve participated since the 2021 contest and I always had fun with these. It helped me start my writing hobby and it helped me to learn new styles and explore new genres in writing!

Good luck to everyone participating! It’s gonna be a great competition!
May 29, 2023 10:28 AM

Aug 2012
Its too bad that it needs to be wholesome.
I feel like that'd make ideas a bit too boring.
May 29, 2023 6:19 PM
Apr 2022
Hmmmm I actually have a few ideas for isekai
May 29, 2023 7:20 PM

May 2023
Are there any Manga authors on MAL?
May 30, 2023 1:03 AM
May 2023
Right, I have also ideas.
May 30, 2023 8:59 AM

May 2023
MilleniumX01 said:
33333³33333333
What are you talking about?
This thread does not need a bump post.
Jun 5, 2023 10:46 AM

Feb 2019
Once again, I ask anyone who keeps up with manga - have any of the earlier entries actually been adapted? Doesn't sound like they have.

I've never been a fan of these, largely because of the perfidious nature of the advertising (they really could have dignity and not flaunt the "maybe you'll get adapted" hook in the bloody title) and poor quality of submissions, but I must say this one has easily thrown the bar down the Kola Borehole.

I struggled to make sense of what the prompts even were this time around, it should not need a technical diagram to express something like this. And Isekai and Romance? Not only are those two the least interesting and least creative genres, but it's not as though we're running low on them. In the time this contest will be running Shousetsuka ni Narou - or as I know it, the tenth circle of hell Dante had the good sense to stay away from - would have generated another twelve, at least eight of which would have gotten picked up for print runs.

If this makes it to year 4 I will be somewhat surprised. I advise any hopeful writer to not bother this time around. Take a stand against this culture of complaisant repetition.

Edit: In all the stupidity of this thing, I can't believe I missed the most obvious mistake they've made - Isekai by definition cannot be high fantasy. As originally defined, high fantasy focuses on original settings independent of contemporary culture, hence, the incorporation of our world into any work of fantasy places it on the middle of the spectrum. Obviously, nobody involved in planning this contest - and I doubt those entering either - actually know this.
O_T_TJun 8, 2023 1:54 PM
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jun 6, 2023 11:09 AM
Aug 2021
If they're hopeful, they can still join and cash in $3k lmfao. That's life changing money for most people living paycheck to paycheck.
Jun 17, 2023 11:53 PM
May 2023

ahh is this still going?

Nvm clicked the site, 2023! ok

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
7 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.