Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 6, 2013 11:44 AM

Jan 2013
This is a very disturbing episode.
But every detail is poignant and meaningful.

This is the definition of psychological medium.

Masterpiece.

Naoki Urasawa is a master writer.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Aug 7, 2013 10:22 AM

May 2013
that was just.. very disturbing :\ !!
but at least the ending was nice, how Grimmer got his emotions back.
Aug 21, 2013 8:33 AM
May 2012
Well I'll be damned if I was Milos poor kid seeing things like that at his age and Johann you sly monster even if you're cross dressing to look like Anna there is no need for you to wear skirt you can just use jeans or do you really love cross dressing that much.

"Tenma, what kind of face am i making now?"
"An ugly face""You are crying."

No seriously that line is wonderful.
Oct 25, 2013 10:50 PM

Jul 2012
This is new low even for Johan
Oct 30, 2013 3:00 AM

Jul 2009
great episode, it was a little slow at first, but it picked up pretty quickly!

wow Runge managed to meet Suk's mom!!!

and i knew the mother saw Johan as male.

she was looking at Johan is amazed on how beautiful he is :P

definitely heartless tactic by Johan!!

so that's how he breaks someone down.

tbh i thought Milos would be crossing the border and be shot with no questions asks since he'll just keep going.

poor Detective(forgot his name) where he was killed by being drunk and jump out of the building.

lol at the Germany teacher being super hyper out of the dumpster for some reason!

i though Milos was a goner :(

finally Grimmer cries after soo many years.

even with the death of his son and his wife leaving him, he didn't feel a thing till now.

so what happened to the real Anna and Dieter!?!?!

come on you can't leave us hanging like that!!

looks like i'll stop for now, gonna watch this again later today or this weekend ^^

gotta do that Japanese test of mine!! :O
Dec 19, 2013 2:46 AM
Oct 2013
Must be annoying for Dr. Tenma to answer questions
"hey, how should i react to that?","What face should I make?"
Jan 10, 2014 5:50 AM
Jun 2013
Johan is the man, defo one of my favorite characters in anime. The way he manipulates people's minds is amazing. I want to be like him. 8.7/10.
Jan 27, 2014 1:20 PM
Mar 2013
That teacher was disturbing.
Feb 10, 2014 12:00 PM

May 2013
Man I feel bad for Milos T_T
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 17, 2014 5:23 PM

May 2013
I really enjoy Grimmer as a character. I like how his dilemma with expressing emotions was written in this series.

Johan is a very fascinating antagonist. His dialogue in this episode was interesting. I think it gave a bit of insight as to why he is doing the things he has done.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Mar 11, 2014 4:01 AM

Oct 2013
Poor kid.

Mar 29, 2014 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
blumenma said:
What was up with that "teacher" who wanted the kid to watch?

"I'm a teacher"
*unzips pants*
*bangs the woman right in front of the kid*

My reaction: Da F*CK?

Anyways....

That scene at the end with Grimmer was really touching.
Johan's also a sick bastard. Which is why he's awesome.
removed-userMar 29, 2014 5:42 PM
May 23, 2014 11:04 PM

Apr 2012
Nice character development for Mr Grimmer and trap Johan being a master manipulator once again.

HikariJake said:
blumenma said:
What was up with that "teacher" who wanted the kid to watch?

"I'm a teacher"
*unzips pants*
*bangs the woman right in front of the kid*

ikr AWKWARD............

May 29, 2014 6:50 AM

May 2011
This episode has one of the most distinct, and splendid portrayal of the dichotomy between good and evil. As cliche as it may be, but good will always defeat the evil. I love the representation of both sides a great deal in Monster. It redefines the theme in a different perspective. Instead of sticking to typical shounen representations of "good and evil", how about we move on to human psychology? 5/5
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jun 7, 2014 2:51 AM

May 2013
Nice to see Grimmer is experiencing real emotions now. As to why he keeps asking Tenma how he should react to situations, it's probably because Grimmer doesn't have to hide anything from Tenma and Tenma understands as he knows some of what happened in 511 kinderheim.

The ending scene made me tear up with how both Milosh and Grimmer were getting their humanity back that was stolen from them.
Jun 27, 2014 12:28 AM
Mar 2014
grimmer asking tenma if this is how you do it with his emotions was a little annoying but this was a great episode. disturbing but good
Jul 27, 2014 1:51 AM

Apr 2014
Omg the anime showed that prostitute getting raped while the little kid watched? That's too extreme.
DawningFogJul 27, 2014 1:55 AM
Aug 6, 2014 7:58 PM
Aug 2010
I loved this episode. I guess I underestimated Johan's cruelty, but I wasn't thinking he'd psychologically manipulate a child like that.
Grimmer asking Tenma about the appropriate emotional response all the time felt a bit odd at first, but the scene at the bridge made up for it. One of my favorite moments in the series so far.
まぁ、全部嘘だけどね。
Nov 4, 2014 6:50 PM

Aug 2008
That asshole so-called teacher.

I'm glad that Grimmer was able to save the little boy.
Dec 21, 2014 8:28 PM

Nov 2011
That was the most vivid display of evil I've seen in anime. Monster is certainly living up to its name.

I don't have much to say beyond that. It's hard to imagine much lower than stealing a child's innocence.

I'm glad Grimmer was able to save Milos. The last scene was very well done.
Dec 27, 2014 11:16 AM

Apr 2012
Grimmer is truly a really good character. I didn't think much of him at first, but his characterization in this is really powerful. Of course Johan is twisted and even more of a monster than I had expected him to be. One of the best episodes so far.
Dec 30, 2014 9:45 AM

Feb 2013
Such a powerful episode. I'm actually speechless. Johan is a massive and utter twat, scum.. he deserves every single insult available. No, actually he is more than that.

Milos ;-; I hope he's alright
Jan 9, 2015 6:07 PM

Jan 2009
Fantastic episode...Johan is really manipulative even to children. Dr. Tenma knew that he would do something like this.

I feel really bad for the little boy.
Feb 4, 2015 1:26 AM

Nov 2013
That was brutal. What Johan made that kid do was beyond evil...

Just wow. I feel so bad for that kid I can't even comprehend the feelings...

I would have cried during that scene with Grimmer and Milos but I feel like the song was not very fitting for that scene.

Awesome episode nevertheless.

9/10
FunnyRatmanFeb 4, 2015 1:31 AM

Feb 22, 2015 12:18 PM

Nov 2014
I found the strong emphasis on how Grimmer is feelingless quite annoying. Asking about what my reaction should now be every few seconds was really annoying. I am glad tho that he managed to cry, pretty sure he sees himself in that poor kid.
Mar 27, 2015 7:51 PM

Aug 2014
Very powerful episode.
Apr 1, 2015 9:26 AM
Nov 2014
Damn, Johan brain damaged that kid. Very disturbing to see.

Glad to see that the kid was saved by Grimmer in the end.

Awesome episode! 5/5.
Apr 18, 2015 1:07 PM

May 2014
Well that went way past dark. Probably the darkest and most graphic episode so far.

I feel so bad for poor Milos, being exposed to prostitution at that age, and finding out that his mother abandoned him. Plus, he had a run in with Johan, which basically means instant insanity.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
May 11, 2015 1:58 PM

Sep 2014
Just passing by to say: such a great episode! Dark, powerfull but also filled with hope!
Even mr. Grimmer can cry. Maybe his tears are fake since he can't truly feel, but nevertheless he is truly human if his feeling can reach Milos.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Jul 21, 2015 12:50 AM

Nov 2013
Something good happened, the kid was saved! Loved that finally mr Grimmer learnt to love. (at least that's what I got from him crying at the end, he really seems to have been able to open up, maybe because he was once that small boy who thought he had no one.)
Edit: 10/10
Aug 8, 2015 4:52 PM

Jul 2014
Man, Johan is sick.

5/5
Sep 2, 2015 3:49 AM

Dec 2013
Feel bad for the kid. Johan really is a monster.
Sep 7, 2015 8:01 AM

Dec 2013
How can someone be this twisted?
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 25, 2015 10:18 PM
Sep 2015
"What kind of face am i making now?"
"You are crying."

Fantastic! So much emotion.
Nov 11, 2015 7:58 AM

Nov 2014
The episode's very great and all, but my concern is how does Tenma know about the blonde girl is actually Johan in disguise? Because I was sure that Tenma is as clueless as I was in previous episodes.
Nov 26, 2015 3:49 PM

Sep 2015
I really despise Johan. Most f*cked up villain in anime history...
Satan on hell, Johan on Earth.

I'm glad Milos 'woke up' at the end. Thought for certain he was gonna jump the bridge.

"Keep watching" LOL
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2015 3:54 PM

Sep 2015
nokitron said:
The episode's very great and all, but my concern is how does Tenma know about the blonde girl is actually Johan in disguise? Because I was sure that Tenma is as clueless as I was in previous episodes.

The tape Johan recorded for them was the big hint.
It's was not really hard to guess who was the blond girl after that. If it wasn't Johan disguised, at least it was someone he knew...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2016 12:22 PM

Sep 2012
yuzuru19 said:
"What kind of face am i making now?"
"You are crying."
One of the best scenes in the series.I can only bow before this anime...,again.

I got chills from how amazing it was. It really was a fantastic scene.

"It's a conversation through instruments. A miracle that creates harmony. In that moment, music transcends words." - Miyazono Kaori
"Laziness is the mother of all bad habits. But ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her." - Nara Shikamaru
"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest." - Orihara Izaya
Mar 7, 2016 8:08 AM

Dec 2015
I loved this episode mainly for the reason that this has been the second most insightful one yet on why Johan kills. Like a child steps on a row of ants to see it messed up. I'd always believed that the child does this out of impulse, but I now reconsider. Perhaps it is out of fascination.

My least favourite aspect of this episode was Grimmer. In general, I like having him around and I understand that he's emotionally scarred, but the number of times he's mentioned that to Tenma this episode feels almost like he's seeking pity to me. Besides, if I remember correctly, he had no trouble calling upon his emotions when they met with Colonel Ranke ( the dude running the secret police). That, I found beautiful; this felt a little artificial.

If Lunge considers Suk's and Tenma's cases similar, and acknowledges that although all circumstantial evidence point to Suk, he lacks motivation and is unlikely to be the criminal, does that imply he doesn't believe Tenma guilty anymore?
ObliviousOkapiMar 8, 2016 1:55 AM
May 16, 2016 2:53 AM
May 2016
Johan's impressionability is quite fascinating. His ability to warp and manipulate the minds of the vulnerable is so intriguing yet so evil at the same time.
Jun 3, 2016 9:25 AM

Feb 2013
That was cruel.
Poor Milos, Johan almost broke him too.
Jun 23, 2016 9:23 AM

Oct 2014
Johan is awesome (in a very evil way)
Going to such a place would be shocking even for me
I want to hug Grimmer so badly
Wait, did you just say that Jojo is shit?
Jun 29, 2016 9:12 AM

Feb 2015
That "teacher" part was so fucked up. Glad that Grimmer and Tenma rescued the kid in time.
Oct 23, 2016 10:42 AM

Jan 2016
What the fuck is up with that teacher
Dec 5, 2016 8:09 PM

Jan 2016
jfc this episode was fucked up. i had it in my mind this would be filler for some reason any holy FUCK was i wrong. i'm a little alarmed by the number of people praising johan for sexually and emotionally traumatizing this young boy, and though i can understand how someone could appreciate how well he's written that's very different than defending his manipulation. w/e. this episode really took me for surprise though, and i think this was the first time i seriously cried bcus of it.
im apollo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they/them pls
Dec 19, 2016 11:52 AM

May 2016
What unforgettable episode omg grimmer san your crying was amazing
Feb 11, 2017 12:57 AM

Oct 2016
Oh my god the feels in that episode... WOW
May 25, 2017 7:31 AM
Dec 2015
I think what Johan did here was encourage a false childish hope (that everyone is born with?)

The idea that our world is perfect. A perfect but fragile projection. An image. Something you cannot influence. Very claustrophobic. Something so flat and insignificant you could wipe it out in one move. With nothing left but: Darkness. Emptiness. Coldess. Loneliness. Oblivion.

Good thing our universe is only expanding and getting away from the nothingness that was the Big Bang! We have never been so full as now! Our creator was a beautiful, loving being :D

EDIT: totally out of topic, but it's kinda alarming how much some child (more american) kid shows (uhmuhm Fairly OddParents/ mostly egoistic main character shows with imaginary sidekick characters) focus purely on this false perception of a perfect/controllable world to sell their products... A kids fantasy is often caused by a neglection/escape from reality to hold on to the perception of perfection. It's quite fundamental. Nothing to mess with!! (Happily there are lots of good shows too)
Almighty_AlpacaMay 25, 2017 8:34 AM
Jun 14, 2017 4:56 PM

May 2015
Kid snapped, no surprise though, but I'm relieved that he "changed" back to normal in the end thanks to Good Guy Grimmer and I'm glad for Grimmer too, he improved a little bit of his humanity in this episode.

On a side note - Johan needs to die!
Jun 18, 2017 8:16 AM

Oct 2012
That kid have seen some shit too early

Well that's real life... Part of xD

Grimmer is more and more likable each episode❤
"Signature removed"
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Yesterday, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.