Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 19, 2019 11:18 AM
Jul 2018
Milos' innocence that he will recognize his mom and she will recognize him despite not knowing each other brought tears to my eyes.. poor Milos, the world is too cruel!

I don't like how Johan doesn't hold back while messing with kids' minds and hearts.. it is disturbing.

How did Tenma and Grimmer figure out the whereabouts of Milos
Jan 8, 2020 8:01 AM

Oct 2013
yo... when that teacher was fucking that whore in the alley and he wanted the kid to watch, that was unironically hot.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 19, 2020 2:21 PM
Jul 2013
Zadion said:
yo... when that teacher was fucking that whore in the alley and he wanted the kid to watch, that was unironically hot.

That moment was a good portrayal of West Europe vs East Europe, kudos to Naoki Urasawa, although I'm not sure if that's what he intended.

It seems we're finally going for a Lunge vs Johan moment, looking forward to that.
May 13, 2020 9:06 PM
Apr 2020
Grimmer’s lack of emotions wasn’t executed well enough to the point where I got annoyed whenever he asked “What expression do I make?” It just didn’t make sense. How can emotion be taught? Why does he only feel emotion half of the time? Does he have emotions or not??? He seems to be able to react to simple emotions like happiness and sadness, but complicated emotions are just a mixture of the fundamental emotions. Though all of the anticipation was confusing, that final scene really hit me. I don’t care about the holes in his story, I love Grimmer now.
Aug 3, 2020 8:06 PM

Oct 2017
I found this comment on another forum about that here it is

"Grimmer has alexithymia which is a mental disorder characterized by the difficulty or inability to identify and describe one's own emotions. It also has to do with identifying bodily reactions, like your heart racing, and linking that to emotions as well, such as anxiety.

It's not so much that Grimmer doesn't feel emotions (even though it's clear he lacks a lot of emotion) but more so that he just doesn't understand what emotions are. Whether it's playing soccer with the kids, being at his son's funeral, or enjoying a picnic, he just doesn't get it. Even when he was crying while holding Milos, he still didn't know if that's what he should be doing in the moment. Grimmer just can't grasp emotions because he simply wasn't taught how."

So basically he has emotions he is unable to realize them. It's like he isn't in contact with them.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 27, 2020 10:50 PM

Sep 2020
This was an insanely good episode. Everything from Johan being a twisted a-hole to Grimmer being able to reach catharsis as he helped Milos.

A key point made here was that even though Johan is a cruel and twisted being, the disgusting behavior that Milos witnessed wasn't curated by Johan. It was just sick people being sick people -- assaulting, stealing, manipulating. Johan forced the child into a bad situation and primed him to see disgusting behavior, which traumatized Milos into thinking he was worthless and unwanted. Ugh, I absolutely hated that scene with the teacher and the prostitute. Completely awful. I was surprised they'd show such a scene, but it definitely led to a traumatized Milos.

This ordeal let Grimmer unlock a key part of his identity -- being able to cope with his own experiences, once as an unlovable and tortured orphan. Grimmer grew up not really understanding how to love or to be loved, and Johan abused Milos setting him on the path to also not feel emotion properly.

So when Grimmer felt responsibility for Milos, it also let him nurture his own inner child which too deserved love, attention, and the ability to express vulnerability. By Grimmer showing Milos that he is wanted, Grimmer also realized that he, too, deserves love and empathy.

Sigh. I love Grimmer and want to give him a big ol' hug. I think it would be great, since he has such rapport with the orphans, if he eventually helped run their orphanage. It would be a great way to him to find purpose and cope with his own trauma in 511 Kinderheim as well as losing his son.

ExtraFirmSep 27, 2020 10:54 PM
Oct 12, 2020 6:07 AM

Dec 2007
poo kid and all, but he wasn't that interesting, though he provided us good story and all.

and now lung going to hunt down tenma in prague, didn't excepted less.

suk's mom recognised that it was male, i kinda excepted that as well.
Oct 13, 2020 4:05 AM

Mar 2014
Goddamn this was genuinely disturbing. Seeing the kid walking around, while replaying Johan's words and trying to find his mother while seeing so many traumatic things made me feel so bad for Milos. Grimmer's words in the end were really moving. Amazing episode, definitely one of the best so far imo.
Nov 13, 2020 2:56 PM

Aug 2018
Grimmer is an interesting fellow overall, he has a wife and a normal life despite what has been happening around him and what happened during his childhood years,

The kid who was about to jump down the bridge and repeatedly got psychologically tortured by Johan was just disturbing to see.
Dec 23, 2020 3:53 PM

Jul 2020
This was disturbing. All the way from the search for his mother to the bridge. Grimmer back at it again making me like him.
Jan 17, 2021 6:15 AM

May 2010
Ugh seeing Milos broken like that was rough :(

Also what is up with Mrs Suk lol. Was she always putting on an act or did she just have a moment of clarity? My grandma had dementia and conversations with her were exactly like what we saw in previous episodes. Some days were worse than others - not knowing who the people around her were, or where she was. Then other days she seemed to gain her old self back. So I’m interested in seeing what the case here is.
Feb 27, 2021 2:03 AM

Jun 2020
I have a soft spot for kids... I'd have been a sad dude if the boy had jumped
Mar 7, 2021 9:22 PM
Apr 2020
The steps of Milos between each descent into deeper and deeper darkness was heart-wrenching. The scene with the teacher left me speechless that was so fucked up. But the view of his small shoes walking and walking as his will to live fades away after each encounter broke my heart. I am truly relieved that Grimmer at least was able to bring back the child from the deep distress he was feeling and I would have liked to see the child crying too to know that he is okay and not in his broken lifeless state. Beautiful episode and really makes me scared and excited for what is coming next.
Jun 20, 2021 8:25 PM

Jan 2020
Dang. Milos is truly unlucky for having to go through all that :(

I'm glad he didn't jump

Jun 22, 2021 5:05 AM

Jul 2020
damn Johan is really fucking good at manipulating ppl especially brats.

Grimmer and Tenma save Milos ofc. and he didn't resist

Glad Grimmer can feel things little by little now
daedalus11Jun 22, 2021 5:08 AM
Jun 22, 2021 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
4 out of 5 I liked it
Jun 30, 2021 11:40 AM

Jan 2021
Johan truly is twisted and a monster.
Aug 3, 2021 5:10 AM

Apr 2015
Man, I found that up till now, I was always trying to find a way to empathise with Johan, I thought maybe just maybe there is something redeeming....

But what he did to that kid....that is sooo fucked up. Even if he went through the most horrible things, this episode made me lose any sense of compassion towards this character....

But man, he is the most amazing antagonist I've ever seen, just when I think he couldn't possibly get more fucked up, he exceeds my expectations!
Sep 13, 2021 3:55 PM

Mar 2021
grimmer's lack of emotions :((

and damn poor milo, seeing through all of that at that age
Oct 13, 2021 10:21 AM

Jul 2015
Johan you inhumane psycho! Poor Milos searching for his mother in that pleasure district while ended up being mentally scarred especially the teacher guy wanting him to watch on while he's doing the prostitute was incredibly fucked up.

Nov 30, 2021 10:39 AM
Nov 2020
This episode was truly dark and sad
Jan 8, 2022 3:13 PM

Jul 2016
So Johan has mommy issues, huh? He sure went full projection onto this Milos kid.

And poor kid, btw. He learned about ugly bastards way too soon.

P.S.: Suk's mother listened to the full tape, didn't she? Tenma should try and ask her about the missing part.
Feb 10, 2022 10:56 PM

Jan 2021
This was a strong episode glad Milo was ok and that Grimmer was able to help
Mar 29, 2022 7:59 PM

Jun 2020
holy shit this episode is disturbing i have never experienced such dread watching an anime series
Apr 4, 2022 12:20 PM
May 2021
grimmer a W fr, man was clutch
Apr 21, 2022 8:15 AM

Aug 2021
❝ You were born because you were wanted by somebody! ❞

I already tear up a little bit
Apr 22, 2022 7:07 AM
Dec 2021
one of the most underrated anime of all time
May 12, 2022 6:57 PM
Dec 2021
Episode 49. The first episode to make me cry like a baby omfg. I don't know what I would've done if Dr Tenma and Grimmer haven't saved Milos.

This story is too well-written. Too good.
May 12, 2022 8:53 PM
Apr 2018
grimmer my beloved I hope nothing happens to you
May 13, 2022 10:27 AM

Feb 2021
What's the point? Why's he bullying kids? That just felt out of place and this ep felt like more slow filler. That being said I don't understand what's happening and how the plot's progressing through the mystery either
Jun 22, 2022 3:22 PM
Aug 2020
what a traumatic experience for Milos! I'm just surprised how Johan can pretty much convince anyone to end their life so easily...
Aug 7, 2022 3:43 PM

May 2020
Really great episode but I also hated it.
Sep 20, 2022 1:23 PM
Sep 2022
Je cherche la musique de fond de cet épisode qui démarre au bout de 4 minutes 10. Impossible de la trouvé sur le net. Si un génie la trouve il aura le droit à mille merci :)
Nov 22, 2022 4:17 PM
Dec 2020
WTF!!
how can so many adults let a defenceless kid roam around the streets, and taunt him too, god have some heart
Johan really broke that kid without lifting a finger...
Jan 9, 2023 4:43 PM
Jul 2013
Ollyx2OxenFree said:
Shit made me cry and I don't really cry that much. How optimistic that kid was about seeing his mother and what Johan put into his head. :'( He truly is a monster.

It's called "gaslighting", isn't it?
"We are all MAD here"
Alice in Wonderland
Jan 13, 2023 8:16 AM

Mar 2021
Well done Grimmer. You didn't only save Milos, you saved his future too.

Though it did get kinda annoying how often he asked Tenma "what am I feeling rn" . But I'm glad he managed to cry

Let it sink in that Johan almost made a CHILD commit suicide.

Jan 14, 2023 4:25 PM
May 2020
another beautiful episode. Johan proving to be the ultimate gaslighter whilst also showing gaining a lil piece of humanity
Jan 20, 2023 2:51 PM
Oct 2019
That was definitely the saddest episode.

Milos got manipulated until he don't know why he should stay. And why he shouldn't jump off the bridge.

Now we really know that especially Grimmer has a heart.
Feb 12, 2023 7:11 AM
Sep 2007
That Johan's talk about mother hating her son... Boy, he's got issues.

Poor Milos... Luckily Grimmer stopped him just in time.
Feb 16, 2023 11:38 PM
Feb 2023
I hope Grimmer was actually crying at the end of the episode, it’s sad to think he is an empty shell.

Also Johan was doing some serious projecting😂 your mom abandoned you because she hates you, like jesus man! This was in my opinion the worst shit Johan has done so far, at least in the sense of how evil the show portrayed it.
Mar 1, 2023 5:53 PM
Dec 2017
Definitely the most disturbing episode so far. Most of the child abuse in this show has only been hinted at, such as seeing kids who have been manipulated by Johan behaving suicidally (though not entirely intentionally suicidally) by playing that rooftop game. Until now, we haven’t seen Johan in the act of performing such vile emotional manipulation. Watching Milos being talked to like Johan talks to him is more viscerally upsetting than what’s come before - as was watching Milos observing that horrific scene in the back alley, and Milos preparing to commit suicide intentionally out of sorrow. It’s quite jarring. The ending was very emotional, though, and it featured a glimmer of hope, I think.
Mar 3, 2023 3:42 AM

Jul 2022
poor boy. the episode's title name speaks for itself

in addition to that, this episode made me appreciate grimmer's character more. want to give them all a big hug :(
Mar 6, 2023 8:40 PM
Mar 2021
Literally triggering my childhood trauma. I was born from a single mother that abused me physically and wished I should just disappear and kill myself. I understood how incredibly damaging it is to be born and to not be wanted by your only true family. Even now, from time to time, I keep wondering why I can never feel in touch with my emotions or why I’m still here - a feeling of never being truly whole as a person.

I hope it’s not too late for the boy and I hope that this leads to an amiable ending.
Mar 6, 2023 8:41 PM
Mar 2021
MugiwaraJopa said:
Well done Grimmer. You didn't only save Milos, you saved his future too.

Though it did get kinda annoying how often he asked Tenma "what am I feeling rn" . But I'm glad he managed to cry

Let it sink in that Johan almost made a CHILD commit suicide.

In a way, Grimmer also saved himself. It’s not too late for him to feel normal.
Mar 8, 2023 4:12 AM
May 2020
this episode definitely felt emotional - we saw another direct example of how Johan manipulated someone to play along into his games. I also love seeing Mr. Grimmer regain his humanity
Mar 30, 2023 11:39 PM

Oct 2021
WTF?!?!?! this episode was the most craziest by far i was so shocked

Apr 6, 2023 9:18 AM

Aug 2019
When Grimmer told him he was born for a reason, I burst into tears. The kid was completely gone, but thanks to Gimmer, he was able to snapped back.

Johan is insane to send a child to a place where he knows he will see things.
Apr 18, 2023 11:43 AM
Dec 2022
It really touched me
Jun 3, 2023 5:51 AM
Aug 2017
This ep man……
Very disturbing 
But also got me in the feels at the end there
Jun 20, 2023 8:07 AM

Mar 2016
Johan is back at it twisting and manipulating children's minds, just like back when he suggested children under his care jump off the roof, this time he personally suggested Milos seek out his mother, and if doesn't find her, implying that he's not wanted or loved. A worthless existence.

A little boy walking and interacting with the debauchery that is a Red Light District, no matter the kid is, would already taken its toll on the kid's mind. Such a drastically different vibe and atmosphere exist in such a dump. However, the fact that Milos came here with asuch a strong hope to be reunited with his mother made his experience all the more painful after finding out that no such destination is there for him.

It's only thanks to Grimmer's empathetical embrace that Milos was rescued both from potentially killing himself and from the endless despair and depression that would haunt him in the future. With this hearfelt hug, at least Milos know that his existance is not witout its reason.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

624 by Anamo7 »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.