Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 12, 2016 11:26 AM

May 2015
I liked Grimmer from the first moment he showed up but now he's really grown into me. I almost cried when he said "the most difficult thing was learning how to smile". Poor guy.
Mar 7, 2016 7:27 AM

Dec 2015
I don't like how much this show is relying on split personality to let people kill people.
It takes the accountability away.

I didn't even like when they portrayed Johan as having a split personality, although that was probably more figurative than actual psychological especially since Johan was seemingly messed up even before he got to Kinderheim. Meh, I can't really say though, maybe that was Kinderheim's experiment.

I also find it unrealistic that Grimmer can take down six men surrounding him with rifles just because he's the Amazing Steiner. Even if he has superhuman strength, with four limbs, you shouldn't be able to efficiently tackle more than two people at once. Meanwhile, the other four shoot you dead.
Mar 7, 2016 10:04 AM
Apr 2014
ObliviousOkapi said:
I don't like how much this show is relying on split personality to let people kill people.

I didn't even like when they portrayed Johan as having a split personality, although that was probably more figurative than actual psychological especially since Johan was seemingly messed up even before he got to Kinderheim. Meh, I can't really say though, maybe that was Kinderheim's experiment.

I also find it unrealistic that Grimmer can take down six men surrounding him with rifles just because he's the Amazing Steiner. Even if he has superhuman strength, with four limbs, you shouldn't be able to efficiently tackle more than two people at once. Meanwhile, the other four shoot you dead.

The whole Johan having a split personality thing is not really official, It's just a theory and It's hinted that he doesn't actually have a split personality, he was lying or something but idk. As for Grimmer him having a split personality doesn't justify him killing people, I don't think that's what the show intended, also he's not considered 100% a good person, that's kind of what I like about the show, no one is completely innocent.
Mar 8, 2016 1:20 AM

Dec 2015
reem1997 said:
ObliviousOkapi said:

The whole Johan having a split personality thing is not really official, It's just a theory and It's hinted that he doesn't actually have a split personality, he was lying or something but idk. As for Grimmer him having a split personality doesn't justify him killing people, I don't think that's what the show intended, also he's not considered 100% a good person, that's kind of what I like about the show, no one is completely innocent.
I was saying the same thing with regard to Johan, he likely doesn't have split personality. But lying sounds unecessary when we're talking Johan- which was why I'd concluded that it must have been something figurative. Maybe he relates to the story? The story was probably based on him. It must have some explanation of Johan's motivation to kill.

I wasn't saying that the show is using split personality to justify murder, but rather that the idea of split personality is interfering with the show's intention to portray evil. Nobody will ever consider why Johan kills if he doesn't know the reason himself.

For the most part, it doesn't seem Grimmer's rampages really needed justification because it has always been out of self defense, well- really aggressive self defense, credits, the Steiner, but defense nonetheless. There seems to be little moral dilemma in that matter. What makes you say he isn't being portrayed as a 100% good person though? The fact that he has little to no emotion, or is it that he was a spy?
Mar 8, 2016 3:48 AM
Apr 2014
ObliviousOkapi said:
reem1997 said:
I was saying the same thing with regard to Johan, he likely doesn't have split personality. But lying sounds unecessary when we're talking Johan- which was why I'd concluded that it must have been something figurative. Maybe he relates to the story? The story was probably based on him. It must have some explanation of Johan's motivation to kill.

I wasn't saying that the show is using split personality to justify murder, but rather that the idea of split personality is interfering with the show's intention to portray evil. Nobody will ever consider why Johan kills if he doesn't know the reason himself.

For the most part, it doesn't seem Grimmer's rampages really needed justification because it has always been out of self defense, well- really aggressive self defense, credits, the Steiner, but defense nonetheless. There seems to be little moral dilemma in that matter. What makes you say he isn't being portrayed as a 100% good person though? The fact that he has little to no emotion, or is it that he was a spy?

By lying I meant he was toying with Tenma or I guess he was trying to confuse him. As you said Grimmer isn't 100% a good person because of him being a spy and him being emotionless.

And I can't really say much about the story because of spoilers.
Mar 14, 2016 5:31 AM

Feb 2016
I can now see why this show is so highly rated/lauded. Better a show that fizzled slowly and ends with successive bangs than a show that was flawless for a brief beginning and whimpered slowly til the end.

Good stuff.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jun 2, 2016 3:00 PM

Feb 2013
Grimmer is from 511 Kinderheim too.
It was kinda sad to hear him say that the hardest thing that he learned was how to smile.
Jul 15, 2016 12:26 PM

Aug 2014
The Magnificent Steiner
Another great plot twist, Now i know why people like Grimmer, great!

Excellent Episode, on the way for a 10/10
Dec 18, 2016 9:45 AM

May 2016
This anime keeps getting better and better I hope it won't disappoint me in the ending that guy at the newspaper remind me of Mauer san well for an instance I though Suk was shot in the head dang it what bad situation to be in with but I guess having the The amazing Steiner well I saw that Grimmer won't get his self too involved in this case without a reason I thought that his kid was at Kinderheim 511
however Something in this episode was unforgotten well it was clear Grimmer san speech How to learn to Smile
Jan 31, 2017 12:53 PM
Feb 2015
i am really interested in Double Personalitys
May 15, 2017 4:44 PM

Jul 2016
I'm not sure if Johan has split personality, that is yet to be confirmed, because those messages were just quotes from that weird ass book. And about Grimmer, I think his is more of a blackout.
Jun 14, 2017 3:25 PM

May 2015
Just when I was saying to myself man, those dudes are laid back AF if I was them I wouldn’t have peeked my head from a window and them Bam! I not going to lie the TV was loud and I jumped and at the same time I was screaming to Suk & Grimmer I told you, dammit!

Jun 18, 2017 6:26 AM

Oct 2012
That opening scene, I miss Mauler :(

He's the hero we needed but didn't deserve

Awww Grimmer, don't you're still better than some "main characters"
I liked you more than them, I'm rooting for Grimmer!
Smile it all away, everything is going to be "daijoubu"
"Signature removed"
Jun 21, 2017 8:04 AM

Jan 2014
I knew it. Grimmer's way more complicated​ than he looks. I fear he will turn on Tenma in the future. I used to like him but I always knew he got lot of secrets behind that smile. Johan can control Grimmer.
On the other hand, he inspires me, teaches me how to keep smiling even though​ everything around you has turned to shit.
Aug 27, 2017 4:11 AM

Jul 2017
that was a surprising twist - So Grimmer is from Kinderheim 511 eh? He talked about how smiling was the hardest part of his training - does that mean all his smiles have been fake ??
May 3, 2018 11:38 AM

Feb 2015
You'd almost think Grimmer is a stand user, hah.
Aug 9, 2018 9:53 AM

Sep 2017
This has to be the best episode with the czech action, steiner explanation, kinderheim mystery and a truly amazing backstory. I guess the story has picked up its pace, finally.
Y'all should just read Pluto.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Dec 31, 2018 7:22 AM

Nov 2016
Damn, so Hulk Grimmer was also a resident of Kinderheim 511 after all.

His character keeps being extremely interesting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 18, 2019 5:51 PM
Apr 2016
As someone that knew nothing about this anime, I'm really surprised, I didn't expect the prime elements to be revolving around alter ego; I have one, and it really is unpleasant & unwelcome... Grimmer has one just like Johan, a monster, and he killed all of them... Really awesome episode.
Feb 19, 2019 2:30 AM
Feb 2019
Grimmer is a friend of Johan i bet
Jun 3, 2019 9:07 AM
Apr 2018
Tenma needs Grimmer! Grimmer is such a bro, basically turning himself in to save Suk.
Jul 18, 2019 1:13 PM

Jan 2015
I like so much Grimmer. This past 6 episodes we got lot of him.
Nov 10, 2019 6:20 AM

Dec 2018
I wonder if Grimmer is analogous to the other side of the 'monster'.

And don't tell me all children from the Kinderheim got superpower.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Dec 30, 2019 8:10 AM

Oct 2013
Retrospectively, it was probably obvious that Grimmer was a resident of 511 Kinderheim, but still... holy fuck.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 29, 2020 1:52 PM
Jul 2013
Zee530 said:
Choujin Steiner, Grimmer for MC.

Also, where is Lunge!?

I was wondering as well, probably he is not aware Tenma went to Prague. He's not the brightest detective, but maybe he will make use of his "typewriter memory" and find a connection with Suk's case, like Tenma did. It would be great if he showed up.
Apr 14, 2020 3:04 AM

May 2016
Not sure what was the biggest shock, Grimmer being from 511 or Johan cross dressing lol
Aug 30, 2020 8:23 PM
Jul 2020
Im getting tired of the ridiculous plot conveniences in the show.
Sep 27, 2020 8:46 PM

Sep 2020
Holy crap, I have SO many feelings about this episode. I almost cried about three times in this episode.

Seeing Detective Suk shot and crying for help while Grimmer was screaming made me feel so sad because I thought they were both goners. My heart sank for both of them because neither of them deserved that painful situation.

I love Grimmer's character so much. His trauma is rooted in the same experimentation as Johan's, but turned out differently. It's so awful how he has clearly repressed all of those traumatic memories, which only manifest through flashbacks and his alternate personality, the Magnificent Steiner. As a child, he projected his pain onto "Magnificent Steiner" and adapted it as part of his own personality as a defense mechanism... so that he could be someone else while he did heinous acts, so that he could be a "monster" when he needed to be (in self-defense).

This is probably exactly what's happening with Johan... Remember how Johan's writing on the wall seems to be pleading for help? Johan's "alternate" personality is also a violent "monster," but it turned out to be more malicious than Grimmer's.

What really gets me about this episode is how hard Wolfgang Grimmer tries to be good. When he told Tenma, "The toughest thing to master was just learning how to smile." Bro... I nearly wept. So far, Grimmer's character is written beautifully, and I love it so so so so much. All his behavior subtly pointing at the truth (him being a victim of 511 Kinderheim) built up so wonderfully.

I hope he and Tenma can go kick ass. At this point, I'm going to need Tenma to step it up a little so he doesn't get Grimmer killed.
Oct 12, 2020 4:15 AM

Dec 2007
suk's mother is interesting one :)

grimmer is the green hulk.

and tenma finally showed himself.
Nov 12, 2020 10:36 PM

Aug 2018
Damn Grimmer just went wild in this episode, completely obliterating all the secret police forces. That just makes his character so good and unique.

Theres no doubt now that he knows Johan from childhood days.
Dec 23, 2020 2:32 PM

Jul 2020
Let's fucking go Grimmer, being such a badass.
Dec 23, 2020 2:33 PM

Nov 2020
Bloomberry said:
Let's fucking go Grimmer, being such a badass.
He was absolutely incredible in this episode, I agree with you
Jan 10, 2021 6:07 PM

Apr 2020
That Grimmer guy is a monster
Feb 26, 2021 1:32 AM

Jun 2020
Grimmer is growing on me
Jun 20, 2021 8:21 PM

Jan 2020
That whole scene with tenma and grimmer was quite sad but it's nice seeing the two of them together again

Jun 21, 2021 11:02 PM

Jul 2020
So Grimmer came to 511 kinderheim but my hunch is that he went on a different experimentation, unlike Johan.
Jun 30, 2021 11:37 AM

Jan 2021
Turns out Grimmer too is from 511 Kinderheim?!
I would’ve never expected that honestly.
Jul 30, 2021 4:29 PM

Dec 2018
grimmer probably killed a ton of those kids at kinderheim going berserk
Sep 13, 2021 1:17 AM

Mar 2021
he can smile and being nice after all the thing he went through,,
Sep 23, 2021 11:50 PM

Nov 2008
How dumb or weirdly obsessive do you have to be to subtitle the Czechoslovakian speech when Grimmer is in a situation in which he doesn't understand and is scared? It's not like the Japanese would understand what the men outside the room are talking about. Fansubbers sometimes show so much incompetence.

Oct 13, 2021 8:24 AM

Jul 2015
Not much of a surprise on Grimmer being from Kinderheim 511 with his 'Amazing Steiner' and obsession with the orphanage. Still good to see he turned out different from that monster Johan.

Nov 30, 2021 10:37 AM
Nov 2020
Amazing ! So we got more information to solve the puzzle.
Grimmer was also at Kinderheim.
Grimmer forgot his past because the people at kinderheim erased it.
Grimmer goes berserk when put in certain situations. (the monster comes out)
Grimmer said that the most diffucult thing to learn after kinderheim was smiling.
Jan 6, 2022 3:13 PM

Jul 2016
Just a couple of episodes and Grimmer is already a better "Monster" than Johan. Way more charismatic and definitely featuring way more potential as character than our almighty cross-dresser psychopath.
Feb 10, 2022 9:02 PM

Jan 2021
Grimmer is kinda in the same position as John but he’s a decent guy put all the killing aside he’s a genuine guy with good intentions as long as know one corners him
May 13, 2022 8:00 AM

Feb 2021
Wait so how long did they keep the orphanage running for? Because it was fine up until Johan turned it around and Grimmer is much older than him and said he was 14 when he watched his tv show. This show's timeline is too messy
Aug 20, 2022 10:37 AM
Jan 2021
top episode quality
Jan 13, 2023 5:22 AM

Mar 2021
Huh so not only does Grimmer have ties with 511 Kinderheim but he was also an orphan there. Makes me wonder, just how long did they experiment on kids at that place? That's at least 20 years considering Johan and Grimmer's ages.

The toughest thing he learned was how to smile... and now he smiles all the time.

Jan 13, 2023 5:44 AM
May 2020
wolfgang grimmer. wow kinderheim 511 made quite a force to be reckoned with
Jan 13, 2023 11:40 AM
Apr 2022
Don't need a paragraph, just perfect.
Jan 18, 2023 1:20 PM
Oct 2019
Wow. This episode was incredible.
The Steiner inside Grimmer went crazy. Also that Grimmer was another orphan in the 511 childrenshome is very unexpected.

Yes, every episode is of course very very great but some episodes are just masterpieces.
Just like this one.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

624 by Anamo7 »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.