Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kakegurui Twin
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 4, 2022 4:07 AM

Jun 2019
Man... that was some plot twist at the end of that game. I totally fell for that. But, I'm happy Mary won and her legendary BAKA... BAKA... BAKA!!! Also, that was so sad what happened to Sakura there. I knew that Aoi is not a good guy at all. But, he's pathetic. Sakura deserves better.

6 episodes were not enough for this but I hope this gets another season in the near future. For now, it was great seeing this academy from Saotome's perspective. Sachiko is a very interesting character to me. Maybe, I'll dive into this spin-off manga.
Aug 4, 2022 4:12 AM

Feb 2014
Man, I watched episode 6 before episode 5 and I was so confused with what was happening.

Anyway, I hope Sakura has a happy ending, she seems like a honest person.

Edit: Sakura literally was okay betting her reputation and then was "what? Did I really lose my reputation Aoi?" that was dumb.
curvedtreeAug 4, 2022 4:22 AM
Aug 4, 2022 8:00 AM

Jan 2019
I actually liked this alot more than I thought it would.
Might be strange saying this, but it genuinely feels like a Better Call Saul-esque prequel of the main Kakeuguri series.

In the sense that we have this protagonist-like character get their own series and we find out what happened in their journey for them to become so arrogant and ruthless.
Mary seems alot different and "kinder" than the one we first see in the Kakegurui, not to mention we've never heard of Hanatemari or Yukimi before. Also Also, we know that here Midara isn't a student council president yet, plus there's the Full-Bloom peeps & the 2 ""former members"" in it (Juraku and Aoi).

They seem to have to setup alot here and if they actually manage to tie everything back up full circle; I think I'd really like it.
>Hanatemari (like Kim Wexler) we dont know what happened to her, we never see her in the Kakegurui timeline. But apparently Mary has her hairpin. Something terrible must've happened to her and Yukimi, likely explusion, for Mary to develop a more hostile and dickish personality.
>Full-Bloom being taken down by Mary
>Defeating Juraku and Aoi - thus freeing up the position for Midara?
>Sado being crushed completely with no chance of opposing her again
>Going full circle and defeating Ryota
Aug 4, 2022 11:03 AM

Jun 2021
Not gonna lie I am kinda disappointed that this was only 6 episodes but I guess I should be happy that I am able to see it animated.

Anyway This series brings one overarching question: What in the hell happened to Mary so that She ended up the way She was when Yumeko arrived ? In this series She seems more like the post character development Mary She turned into after losing Yumeko despite this being the past. While watching Kakegurui you obviously think that Mary was probably always a bad(ish) person who reformed thanks to Yumeko but this series comes out and shows that She used to be a lot more like her reformed self in the past so what happened that She changed to the point of using Ryota as a chair when Yumeko arrived ?

And Despite Tsuzura claiming in this episode that She will be with Mary no matter what happens She is literally NOWHERE to be seen in the Kakegurui anime as well so that is probably related to Mary’s change of personality ALSO If anyone rewatches Kakegurui, the first season episode 7 last minutes has Mary holding Tsuzura’s hairpin in her hands which proves that something must have happened.
Aug 4, 2022 12:52 PM

Oct 2017
So the treasure hunt was the actual game, they sure made them go in a loop. This last gamble was the most interesting one, other gambles were so so. Okay season overall, would prolly watch if more comes.
Aug 4, 2022 2:52 PM
Aug 2021
It’s a good series. I’m hoping they’ll be a season 2 because I’ll definitely watch it
Aug 4, 2022 5:05 PM
May 2022
I just finished all the episodes in just a day and I'm happy that Mary won the gamble
Aug 5, 2022 1:54 AM

May 2020
This ended up being extremely good, to be honest a better version of the original Kakegurui series. Really hoping for a S2
Aug 5, 2022 8:28 AM

Apr 2020
It was a good watch but the lack of Yumeko hurts the series a bit imo. 7/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Aug 5, 2022 9:24 AM

Feb 2021
looks like it not over yet. happy to be waiting
Aug 5, 2022 9:42 AM
Apr 2021
I watched all 6 episodes as fast as I could and I gotta say as an already reasonably big Kakegurui fan I really enjoyed it, probably one of my favorite animes of the year so far. I am however disappointed that they only adapted 6 episodes though because obviously there’s more material, considering kakegurui twin is still an ongoing manga series with 12 volumes out currently. Maybe they’ll do what they did with Jojo part 6 and release more episodes in the future as a “part 2” or something.
Aug 6, 2022 8:50 AM

Oct 2014
ZER0PT said:

Yumeko is the biggest problem with the main series, so, have to disagree on that.
Aug 6, 2022 12:09 PM

Jul 2014
Mary’s “baka baka baka” when she won was really cute lol

Overall that was a pretty decent/ok series. Sad to only have it for 6 episodes, but hopefully Mappa picks this back up because I’ll definitely watch part 2 if it ever comes out.

Gonna miss Mary and that OP fr.
Aug 6, 2022 12:56 PM

Apr 2020
LuZeke said:
ZER0PT said:

Yumeko is the biggest problem with the main series, so, have to disagree on that.

That's surprising since people that I know always love her.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Aug 7, 2022 2:03 AM

Oct 2019
ZER0PT said:

In a way, you're right. By having Yumeko be an enigmatic and seemingly unstoppable MC, the main series can focus the character development on her opponents.

Twin's antagonists seem less dimensional, because the focus is mostly on Mary and her struggles during the gambles. As a result, Twin's cast of characters is less complex overall.

But on the other hand, this focus on Mary is the reason why she's by far the best written character in Kakegurui. I can't really say which approach is better. The two are just different.

Overall, I absolutely loved these six episodes. I still think it hurt the relationship between Mary and Tsuzura that they glossed over the first gamble, but I read the manga, so it didn't lessen my personal enjoyment.
This Twin adaption made me remember how well Kakegurui works when it's animated. The vibe of the show is one of the biggest selling points for me and the manga just can't compare in that aspect.
Aug 7, 2022 3:38 AM

Jun 2015
Well apart from it being a netflix show and them slapping us in the face with intersectionality. I have to say, I really enjoyed this show. Season 3 when!!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 7, 2022 7:21 AM
Jan 2020
Lacks the overall thrill, and it feels rushed considering it's just 6 episodes. Also, there's no Yumeko.

Maybe that's why Netflix barely marketed this shit
RonninnAug 7, 2022 7:44 AM
Aug 7, 2022 8:02 AM
Dec 2017
I think Mary wanted Sakura to lose control and jump on her. To be honest I was expecting that too, and after she provoked I was sure I'd see that happenning. Ohh, that'd be fun. But no... didn't happen. I am disappointed she controlled herself. Why didn't she lose control just for a moment or so? She could be mature after some slaps and punches and such. Lol. And after we see Saotomé's butt at 22:23 in ntflx I was disappointed again because I was specting she would slap Aoi's face and rip his skin with her nails and then teabag or spit on him. Dude's a sociopath piece of garbage. This thing can't have power in society or people will suffer. Anyway, Sakura is a good hearted person. What will happen to her from now on? She lost because she was so confident and believed that acavenger hunt had ended she comoletely removed it form her mind and focused on the Dice Nim game, in which she excelled. She discovered Mary's plan for this game like a boss. She can haz skill. She's in the game. I hope I can see her triumph and maybe get closer to Mary and make Hanatemari's jealous and superprotective to Mary. That's be fun to watch. This episode is 4/5. I was expecting violence. I really wanted to see a mega discussin and slaps there and there. Dude, how didn't Sado jump on Mary lololol I'lll stop. Say no to violence. But it gives me "ohhhhhhhh so satisfying. R.I.P me ohhhh" just like Yumeko when her eyes get red when she's gambling. This is the mot bizarre review my mind ever wrote.
Aug 7, 2022 8:14 AM
Dec 2017
KinoKantRBD said:
But apparently Mary has her hairpin.

Your review is awesome. Also I didn't pay attention to that. It bugs me to what happened before Yumeko's arrival. I hope this series continue. I haven't read the manga. It makes me feel sad, like nostalgy sort of feel, that things were so full of life before Yumeko and when she arrives thing's like a darwinist dystopian world multiplied 100 fold. I'm not sure if I'm correctly transferring my feelings and thoughts in my words but that's basically what I think. Kakegurui is awesome.
Aug 7, 2022 8:28 AM
Dec 2017
Silent_Shadow05 said:
While watching Kakegurui you obviously think that Mary was probably always a bad(ish) person who reformed thanks to Yumeko
Maybe it's longing? You have two options to deal with a loss: get over it or embrace rage and avoid sadness as long as you hate. She could see her friends outside school, right? But it seems that doesn't happen. In the main series she is a superb itchy, (btw thanks for the detail in episode 7, i haven't connected the dots by myself) but she feels something yet, after Yumeko did that thing of course. She was
Then maybe she abandonned her friends to grow more important and then Yumeko made her see friends matter most? Idk lol that seems feasible, good enough for a fanon fanfic at least.
Aug 7, 2022 2:56 PM

Feb 2019
Pacing def felt rushed in twin, but I love how Mary grew to count on her friends and was able to outsmart Sakura in the end. Considering where she started at, that’s some massive growth.

Def miss my baby Yumeko and the council president, but this was a nice appetiser while we wait on s3
Aug 8, 2022 12:05 AM

Apr 2015
Just finished and i want more :(

I think it was really good as the main series despite be just 6 episodes. I hope for sequel for both series.
Aug 8, 2022 5:48 AM

Mar 2019
I'm really glad that I was able to watch more Kakegurui, but I'm very bummed about the episode count. Six just wasn't enough. Wish they would have given it the full Kakegurui & Kakegurui XX treatment. 12 episodes at least... An OP with singing (not that I dislike the instrumental track in Twin), and better animation. MAPPA has a lot on its plate that I am a fan of too (AOT, VS, and CM) so I'm not like too annoyed about this, but it did bum me out. I can't believe I began watching Twin three days ago and I'm already finished. I was not aware at all that it was going to be six episodes.
Aug 15, 2022 7:47 AM
Feb 2021
I liked this more than initially expected. Really love how we get introduced to the character Mary at a different point where she seems like a different person. Can’t wait to see how everything will turn her to the Mary we know from the main series. I also hope Mappa will continue the main series as well and also make movies / mini series about the other spin offs.
Aug 15, 2022 5:44 PM

Jun 2015
The only defect: six episodes.
“The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.” -Cowboy Bebop
Aug 16, 2022 12:34 PM

Feb 2011
I need more episodes
Aug 19, 2022 4:27 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The probably pushed the twist too far at the end I mean you really need to have an IQ of 500 to decipher the true meaning of both maps I swear xD Anyway that was great and with the behavior of the boy that was a wise decision to not join them in the end even though it looks like he'll try to force her, poor Sakura though :/
I'm really frustrated it only has 6 episodes, seriously they should have at least made it one cour... I enjoyed it as much as the original Kakegurui but it is a letdown to see how short it is.
Aug 22, 2022 3:12 PM

Dec 2013
I liked this mini show waaaay more than I thought I would, all the characters were pretty interesting and didn't feel as obnoxious as with the main series, there was no self insert character and I really like Mary, she is so much more interesting and engaging than Yumeko, it is great how emotional she gets both when losing and winning, she is the best, shame it was only 6 episodes, the ED was great too, the song was super catchy and those visuals were great, love that I don't know what to call it, like clean pastel palette.
Aug 25, 2022 3:14 PM

Jul 2014
Focusing on Mary instead of the utter force of nature that Yumeko is made this slightly more enjoyable for me than the main show, even if that meant that the gambles had to be simplified due to Mary not being even close to Yumeko's skill level (although that raises the question of why they felt the need to explain some of these for so long). My only real complaint would be that it's a little hard to reconcile this Mary as the same character we saw turn Ryota into a human chair in episode 1 of the main show, though as there's a lot seemingly a lot more story beyond this point in the manga I can just about accept it (at least enough to not have my immersion entirely broken).
Aug 26, 2022 10:54 PM
Jul 2020
It was fun to watch while painting
Aug 28, 2022 1:53 AM
Dec 2012
Roch2001 said:
Well apart from it being a netflix show and them slapping us in the face with intersectionality. I have to say, I really enjoyed this show. Season 3 when!!

Slapping us in the face with intersectionality? What are you referring to?
Aug 28, 2022 6:37 AM

Jun 2015
dowoma said:
Roch2001 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 28, 2022 12:01 PM
Dec 2012
Roch2001 said:
dowoma said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality

…did not answer my question. How does the anime slap you in the face with intersectionality?
Aug 28, 2022 1:52 PM

Jul 2019
Finished it finally.

This anime prequel is really damn good and I liked how it used Mary in a way that stays honest about who she has been throughout.

Good finale too with the whole treasure thing lol. Always coming back from the dark.
Sep 4, 2022 6:57 PM

May 2012
When I saw this on Netflix being released, I noticed I forgot to watch the second season of this series and then watch this. I quite enjoyed the second season of the main story, but these 6 episodes were actually pretty meh, and for whatever reason the color grading was really weird for me for whatever reason.

It was okay but nothing to compare to the original series IMHO.
Sep 6, 2022 12:06 AM

Dec 2015
I enjoyed more the first season but this spinoff is more entertaining than second season.
Sep 13, 2022 5:32 PM
Jul 2008
At first I thought I misremembered something somewhere, turned out her friends aren't not even in main series.
I'm curious what happened to them.

Yumeko is one of the series charm. While Twin is not bad, I feel that it's missing something.
Sep 15, 2022 1:26 AM
May 2021
nice play by Mary and she finally said BAKA baka baka again 😂🔥🔥🔥. So will there be new episodes coming of this or season 3 of kakegurui??
Sep 15, 2022 11:39 AM

Jul 2022
The spin off is not bad but kinda boring compared to the original
The games were not that interesting either except for that dating game
Sep 16, 2022 9:07 PM

Sep 2020
Decent, but pales in comparison to the original. Mainly the uninteresting games (dice, and then dice, but wait...dice!). Would it have killed to put a card game or something else in there? The dating game and treasure hunt were also unnecessarily obtuse and without worthwhile prestige payoffs. 6 episodes didn't do it any favors either.

I liked the Prince Charming stuff, though, really glad it wasn't just an act and Hanatemari didn't turn heel (yet, fingers crossed).

Toss me on the "Miss you, Yumeko!" pile.

7/10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Sep 26, 2022 1:36 PM

Mar 2013
Now, this is what i call a gamble, no life or death or other crap that the character can't lose, just pure bet in all possible outcome until the end.
Sep 28, 2022 1:40 PM
Nov 2017
I loved this spinoff
I realized that Mary could easily be a much better protagonist than Yumeko
Sep 28, 2022 10:55 PM

Jul 2016
First two episodes were nice, third and fourth were kinda cringey and these last two were decent at best.

Overall, a kind of average set of episodes but Mary made everything ten times more entertaining. No wonder given she's the only character I truly care about in Kakegurui.

Will miss the ED, by the way.

Baka, baka... baaaakaa~/10
Oct 4, 2022 1:21 AM

Jan 2021
"Who do you think you are, Miharutaki Sakura?" No, who do you think you are, Sado? Juraku really needs to get her pet to shut up. Also hahaha, I was somewhat satisfied when I heard Mary shout and reject Aoi.. and call him an idiot too. XD

Oh, I forgot what happened in Kakegurui (season 1), but was Tsuzura ever mentioned/shown? Because seeing Mary's power in Kakegurui feels like it was also thanks to Tsuzura, she had a lot and important role in Mary's school life (and gambling, of course) before meeting Jabami.

Always liked it every time Mary said "baka baka baaakaaa~!!" ┣¨キ(〃゚3゚〃)┣¨キ
hanakocheeksOct 4, 2022 1:33 AM

Oct 5, 2022 4:37 AM
Aug 2021
I honestly really like Aoi.
Oct 20, 2022 2:57 AM

Jul 2015
Too bad this only has six eps and not more as it was nice seeing this prequel focusing on Mary, where I'm curious to know what happened to all the new characters and Mary change in attitude as those differ from what we've seen in Kakegurui.

Oct 27, 2022 5:55 PM
Feb 2021
the should make a part 2 bc there so many question i got bc i know this a prequel but then a lot of this new characters u see aren't shown in kakegurui it cool that mary got to be the mc to her own story i just wished that at least yumeko made a appearance at the very end of the show since it already been 3 year since the last time we saw her so it would of been great and also where is ryota i thought he was going to be shown
can't lie the OP and ED song are good
i'm just surprised how no one has talk about the show at all
Oct 31, 2022 2:08 PM

Feb 2018
Mary & the gang won due to the power of friendship! Feelsbad for Sakura because she seemed to like Aoi a lot but he didn't gave a single damn about her beside her family's name :/. This was a fun watch, you can never go wrong with Kakegurui! ;D
Mar 23, 2023 3:01 PM
Jul 2020
Ain't no Mary become my favourite character from the series in just 6 episodes. Can't wait for season 2. I actually like this prequel first year more than the second year. Second is simple story line, "Let's gamble to our hearts content", "Let's bet everything", "let's bet our lives" and then Jabami wins. To be honest, Jabami is only winning against them just for the plot, she didn't even lose seriously. She lost every once in a while due to the interference of others which i find it annoying build up story. Second year is just too unrealistic in my opinion

Here, Mary actually loses to win the gamble every single match. Searches the clues and actually finds the answer everytime she loses, which makes more sense than knowing everything before the game like in the second year in my opinion. This is a 8/10, Need a season 2 of it.

But the Biggest mystery is that where were all these characters when Mary became a second year?????
Taizaki-hanMar 23, 2023 3:05 PM
Apr 1, 2023 4:10 AM
Apr 2023
Es war gut aber nicht so gut wie Kakegurui
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakegurui Twin Episode 3 Discussion

curvedtree - Aug 4, 2022

28 by MoonglowBlossom »»
Apr 5, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Twin Episode 2 Discussion

curvedtree - Aug 4, 2022

25 by bubba460z »»
Mar 4, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Twin Episode 1 Discussion

curvedtree - Aug 4, 2022

39 by bubba460z »»
Mar 4, 9:27 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Twin Episode 4 Discussion

Pre_Yum - Aug 4, 2022

37 by Black_Phoenix000 »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:51 AM

» I need info!

z7ProSpyce - Oct 3, 2023

7 by Kitsune_Corr »»
Oct 16, 2023 11:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.