Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 10, 2022 1:01 AM
Jan 2021
I’ve never seen such a polarization between a mean score and a personal score in my time on here. The score is abysmal comparatively to how good this series is. I feel like long time fans really hate this series only because it’s not the main cast at the forefront of the series. While both the OG series and this series present great stories, they are different, of course, but still present the same quality.

This spin-off has more mystery and better characters in my opinion. Animation is just as stellar but better and music is the same if not better. The OG Madoka story is good and very simple, and mainly focuses on character interaction while this delves into more mystery.

All I’m saying is that the Madoka fan base is pretty disappointing. It’s such a pity that so many people are missing out on this show due to his highly stigmatized score and personal biases.

While, of course, people have different opinions. I just feel like this spin-off series isn’t given much of a chance and is brushed off completely since there are new characters. It’s just funny how mean scores still affect future scorers. I thought for sure this anime was gonna be a 5 or 6 when I watched it but it’s around a 8-9. Such a crazy difference, anime community doesn’t surprise me with how many people are uncomfortable with change or differences.
official_brownJun 10, 2022 1:29 AM
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 10, 2022 1:36 AM

May 2021
I agree with you about everything except the music
Jun 10, 2022 1:59 AM

Sep 2021
I actually think that it was a good idea to make Magia Record (I'm going to abbreviate it from now on to MR) different to Madoka Magica (PMMM). However, I do have to disagree, to some extent, that both shows have the same quality.

IMO some aspects of MR are just dull. I don't know whether it was because of the storytelling or music, but I found myself quite bored while watching it (especially the first season). When I watched PMMM for the first time and once episode 3 ended, I was glued to the screen and binge watched it. Heck, I even rewatched it + Rebellion immediately after watching it for the first time.

The character design, voice acting and animation in MR (just to name a few) are all very great (just as good as PMMM as far as I'm concerned; I mean its Shaft, at least we can expect the animation to be of good quality). However, I can understand why some people were disappointed with the show tbh with you. It just wasn't very captivating. But I agree with you. MR shouldn't be compared to PMMM. Rather it should be judged on its own merits. I think I would have been more disappointed if MR ended up being a PMMM copy.

Edit: IMO the music in PMMM is far superior (vs MR).
TerrorAdhaerensJun 10, 2022 2:09 AM
Jun 10, 2022 4:18 AM

Jul 2015
People are not "biased", this spinoof just simply shit. There is no mystery or any conspiracy behind it.

This series is just a generic, adaptation of a gatcha game.
For some reason they decided to shoehorn every character from the game, most of which do not contribute to the story in any meaningful way and are just wasting screentime.
As a result pacing is all over the place and story devolves into an incoherent clusterf*ck.
This is literally the worst thing that can happen to a show.
(On top od that, since this is a spinoof happening during one of the many of Homura's failed attempts, we already kinda know the ending, so there is no real reason to even watch it.)
In final four episodes random shit just happens for no reason, we do not care about anything and just want it to end.
It still baffles me, that Green Hair went full villain out of nowhere for no reason.
Literally the only good parts are when original cast is on screen, which says a lot. Everything, really.

Saying that this mess is somehow better than the original is such a shit take, that I'll just give you benefit of the doubt and assume that you are just trolling.
But judging by your history of absolutely shit takes, I suspect it's not. No offense, tho.
PiromyslJun 10, 2022 5:25 AM

Jun 10, 2022 4:32 AM
Feb 2021
S1 is too many characters in little time that i can't care about them, the mistery is there but they don't get close to any explanation and the season just ends
S2 starts getting some light on the misteries and with most characters already introduced, the plot moves in a fairly interesting way
Final ovas just sucks, talk no jutsu wins, then some girl say "i still want to fight" and just fucking dies
Is really weak series compared to the main story, but as we know, is a gacha game adaptation
Jun 10, 2022 4:40 AM

May 2020
Same quality???

Just in the 1st few eps alone it is rushed af.(As if the final season is not rushed in itself.)
No proper transition of scenes whatsoever.
The OST???
Not close on the original's level at all.
Add to that with characters that i dont gave a shit then yeah,
Its not that great.

Probably the only good thing here is that Moemura appeared here more often than the original series.
Other than that, its not that good.

I would rather wait for the Rebellion Sequel.
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jun 10, 2022 8:41 AM
May 2021
It’s not good. Not shit, but not good.
Jun 10, 2022 12:25 PM
Jan 2021
sonu711 said:
I agree with you about everything except the music

The reason I say music is because of side story S2 episode 3. It’s definitely one of the best episodes I have watched in all of anime.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 10, 2022 12:27 PM
Jan 2021
Hitagi__Furude said:
Same quality???

Just in the 1st few eps alone it is rushed af.(As if the final season is not rushed in itself.)
No proper transition of scenes whatsoever.
The OST???
Not close on the original's level at all.
Add to that with characters that i dont gave a shit then yeah,
Its not that great.

Probably the only good thing here is that Moemura appeared here more often than the original series.
Other than that, its not that good.

I would rather wait for the Rebellion Sequel.

I think the reverse because I care more about the Record characters. Most the OG characters were kind of annoying except for Mami and Homura. But even Homura’s counter part in Record is more interesting.

Well animation and music are better. And I’m not sure why proper transitions are necessary because it doesn’t really affect the storytelling. Madoka didn’t need to worry about that because there were only one group of characters.

And S2 ep 3 is the best thing about the franchise at all.
official_brownJun 10, 2022 12:31 PM
Jun 10, 2022 2:14 PM
Apr 2020
TerrorAdhaerens said:
I actually think that it was a good idea to make Magia Record (I'm going to abbreviate it from now on to MR) different to Madoka Magica (PMMM). However, I do have to disagree, to some extent, that both shows have the same quality.

IMO some aspects of MR are just dull. I don't know whether it was because of the storytelling or music, but I found myself quite bored while watching it (especially the first season). When I watched PMMM for the first time and once episode 3 ended, I was glued to the screen and binge watched it. Heck, I even rewatched it + Rebellion immediately after watching it for the first time.

The character design, voice acting and animation in MR (just to name a few) are all very great (just as good as PMMM as far as I'm concerned; I mean its Shaft, at least we can expect the animation to be of good quality). However, I can understand why some people were disappointed with the show tbh with you. It just wasn't very captivating. But I agree with you. MR shouldn't be compared to PMMM. Rather it should be judged on its own merits. I think I would have been more disappointed if MR ended up being a PMMM copy.

I agree with you. I’d need to rewatch it to list out exactly what aspects I didn’t like but it just wasn’t that interesting to me.
Jun 10, 2022 7:36 PM

Sep 2021
I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing that we, as the audience, already know what will happen in the end (i.e. one of Homura's failed time line). However, what should matter is what happpened before it failed. MR failed to provide a compelling story. The mystery was rather poorly executed and I didn't really care much for any characters (except for Madoka & co.). The way important plot points were revealed in PMMM, (mostly by Kyubey) - I'm using PMMM as an example only because it had the best reveals I have ever seen in any show/movie and to provide an example of how it is properly done, not because it is part of the same fandom as MR - was done in such a nonchalant way. This made the mystery reveals much more impactful and shocking IMO.

Sushi099 said:
TerrorAdhaerens said:

I agree with you. I’d need to rewatch it to list out exactly what aspects I didn’t like but it just wasn’t that interesting to me.

yeah, same here!
TerrorAdhaerensJun 10, 2022 7:40 PM
Jun 10, 2022 9:14 PM

May 2020
For me, now that i think about it.

This is similar to Steins Gate 0 in a sense that we know the endgame of the show.
In a failed timeline.

Unnecessary additions to a really great series that can stand on its own without the need of a sequel/spinoff.
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jul 7, 2022 4:37 AM
Sep 2019
I hope there'll be an arc 2 adaptation soon! I prefer the anime's ending over the game's; I wonder how'd they continue the story without the eight girls who died?
Nov 1, 2022 4:17 AM
Dec 2018
Magia Record has a very interesting story, but the anime failed to set its priorities. The first season in my opinion was stretched quite a bit (as compared to some beliefs that it was fast paced). They wanted to be true to original game story, so they tried to bring as much as they could from game, but it's not possible to adapt such vast story in anime form. They tried to please both game fans and original PMMM fans, but in the end both of them ended up being somewhat disappointed. What Cyberpunk Edgerunner did, or what Princess Connect Redive did, is best example of how you adapt a game to an anime. Magia Record instead of telling a grim story of Magical Girls (we already know being Meguca is suffering), they could go with more lighthearted approach, which might have made it more engaging in the first season. It's not a bad idea to make your audience laugh a bit and then make them cry like babies. It's was a bad idea to give new characters so much time for just characters development. Sure MR nerds (like me) love it, but common viewers would have found it dull.

From 2nd season onwards, it was really good, but due to bad time management some episodes ended up being bad with animation and sound issues. Though it was fixed in Bluray, but noth many watch them, specially when Crunchyroll refuses to update the episodes with fixed animation. Regarding Final Season, it received big cut in animation (compared to Season 2). It could have been made into a movie and generated enough revenue, but releasing it into 4 episodes in 1 go didn't help with popularity, and I'm not amazed the viewership was low (though it was well received in Japan).

Magia Record did many things right. It had a very good story (I'd compare it to levels of Wraith Arc, Tart Magica, and the original itself). But it can't be denied the execution could have been much better. They were targeting existing game players of MR to spend more in game instead of attracting new audience to PMMM and MR, then they ended up shutting down servers in North America (it never had WW release). The lack of clear focus prevented anime from being a success, even though it had solid story and budget to back it. Still overall, I love it, I give it a 10 because I know what kind of story it was trying to tell, I loved the characters so I loved seeing them more on screen, but for an average viewers, it I agree that it would have appeared average at its best.

Hope when Studio Shaft stabilises, they re-release it as 3-part movie, with improved direction. A sequel is also possible, which tells the story of original MR or adapts manga (this looked more like parallel timeline inside MR timeline, just like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Evangelion Movies). This was also the directorial debut of Gekidan Inu Curry, so hopefully they gain experience over time and fix Magia Record in future, because personally I don't think PMMM has future (it's already perfect and shouldn't have more sequels that might ruin it).
Dec 23, 2022 7:58 AM

Nov 2013
People are downrating it because it isn't as good as the masterepiece of the OG series, but honestly how could you even expect a spin-off to equal to it?

If you judge it on it's own merit instead of just comparing it to original, it's at very least a decent series.
You all need to watch Nami.

Dec 23, 2022 8:05 AM
Feb 2022
I thought it was really good but I perfer the original series more.
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

May 2015
Its good, Mal is just toxic af.

Its not as good as the original but hell the original is one of the best Animes of all time.

I really liked the first season of Magia Record, I like the slower pace and vibe of it.
jedmanJul 5, 2023 3:10 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

258 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2020

237 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 11:00 AM

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

14 by kensu31 »»
Feb 11, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

136 by HimeCrycho »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.