Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 9, 2019 8:16 PM

Jul 2019
Ranivus said:
so it takes 38 episodes for Tenma to realize that he cant shoot a gun when every viewer in the world knows that ever since episode 1 :( Killing that idiot had no story progression whatsoever. So he shot a damn subordinate... he had so many oppertunities to finish the job (and the series) if he pulled the trigger. But now that his fail status has solidified, we're here to endure another 30+ episodes of him trying to shoot again?? i mean sht :(

i would've been fine if he shot him now, and then worked the rest of the way to clear his name or at the very least do more renegade surgeries w/o this weak drama.

they shouldve shown ep 1-5, then 36-38 then 70-74... theres your whole season in a nut shell :(

...what a waste

my thoughts exactly

show put on hold for the meantime
Aug 29, 2019 2:42 PM

Apr 2017
The fact that the plot is barely past the halfway point should be a good indicator that nothing will happen to Johan for at least 30 more episodes, which takes a lot of the suspense and intensity out of the events. Now we're left with several subplots which aren't nearly as interesting:
- Anna and her inability to shoot Johan;
- Tenma and his inability to shoot Johan;
- the group trying to expose Johan;
- the group trying to get Johan to lead them;
- Lunge being bonkers (OK, this one may actually be interesting if Lunge wasn't so one-note now);
- whatever they decide to do with Dieter;
- roughly 30 more side characters they'll introduce only to kill them within the episode (or that we'll never hear from again otherwise, but will still waste screentime).

I'd estimate that we could've dropped at least half of the episodes so far and still kept a tight plot. A lot of the one-case episodes didn't really bring anything new to the table plot- or character-wise. Tenma (who's been showing up so little lately) hasn't really changed past the point when he decided he needed to kill Johan. Lunge hasn't evolved in any way past being obsessed with arresting Tenma. Anna is still running around confused. Johan seems evil for the lulz, and I respect that, but he seems aimless as well and it's already stretched past the point of boredom.

Would like to see some more interaction between the main cast in the future instead of having them all run around on their own.
Pande91Aug 29, 2019 2:47 PM
Nov 8, 2019 7:26 AM

Dec 2018
So there's a chance Johan and Nina's real mother is alive out there.

And Johan sure orchestrated a lot of killing in this show.

"Are you going to shoot him?" well, this line was just...........

It seems this event gonna take Lunge's stupidity to a whole new level.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Nov 19, 2019 2:59 AM
Jul 2018
I'm loving the direction so much..

RIP Roberto, or is it too soon to say that? Nobody in this show put me off, except Roberto.

Dec 4, 2019 3:56 PM
Jul 2013
_oak said:

RIP Roberto, or is it too soon to say that? Nobody in this show put me off, except Roberto.

It's probably too soon.
I really hope the series won't go downhill and makes up for Tenma not shooting Johan.
Lunge next ep, if he still insists Johan is Tenma's alter ego, he's officially braindead. We have like 100+ people who have seen him next to Schubert. And Nina. And Karl. And Lotte. And so on...
Dec 5, 2019 1:07 AM
Jul 2018
matheoo41 said:
_oak said:

It's probably too soon.
I really hope the series won't go downhill and makes up for Tenma not shooting Johan.
Lunge next ep, if he still insists Johan is Tenma's alter ego, he's officially braindead. We have like 100+ people who have seen him next to Schubert. And Nina. And Karl. And Lotte. And so on...

let me just say, you're in for surprises :D
Apr 30, 2020 7:07 AM

Feb 2013
My interpretation of Tenma's inability to shoot Johan is that its rooted from Johan's impact on his life. As he mentioned in the earlier episodes, choosing to save the dying boy over the mayor is what led Tenma into the right path as a doctor who cares about saving people over climbing up the ranks. This event shaped Tenma's entire being. His hesistence to kill that same boy makes complete sense to me.
May 23, 2020 3:38 PM

Jul 2016
Tenma really said, "I will hesitate, bitch"
Jul 21, 2020 6:34 PM
Jul 2020
God, I hate Nina's character so much. She's the reason why this story has to go on some more.

Worst character of them all.
Jul 21, 2020 6:52 PM
Jul 2020
Gaesaekki said:
My interpretation of Tenma's inability to shoot Johan is that its rooted from Johan's impact on his life. As he mentioned in the earlier episodes, choosing to save the dying boy over the mayor is what led Tenma into the right path as a doctor who cares about saving people over climbing up the ranks. This event shaped Tenma's entire being. His hesistence to kill that same boy makes complete sense to me.

That makes me feel much better. Johann gives him something to live for.
Aug 6, 2020 11:40 PM

Feb 2015
Shoot him already for fuck's sake!
Maximum Honking
Sep 17, 2020 4:57 AM

Jul 2020
Damn Tenma, he can shoot Roberto but can’t shoot Johan. Well Johan is a major character compared to Roberto lol. I just hope the writers just came up with something more clever for Tenma still not able to kill Johan or some ways to prolong this anime. It’s just overdramatic.
Oct 4, 2020 1:44 PM

Nov 2017
Even though Dr. Tenma's goal was obviously to confront/kill Johan, he first made sure to save the people who were in the burning room so they can gtfo there.

But even when Johan has a gun pointed at him, he doesn't sweat it. Sheesh, he's basically taunting Dr. Tenma. But I don't know why Dr. Tenma is hesitating, he shot Roberto clean
Oct 11, 2020 4:49 AM

Dec 2007
roberto finally dead, but johan is different case.

so much epic things, and great cliffhager.
Nov 10, 2020 1:42 AM

Aug 2018
Finaly Tenma showed us he got guts and got rid of the cold blooded assassin that deserved nothing but death.

Johan is just seems unkillable unless someone besides Tenma steps up to do the job because he fears basically none.
Dec 18, 2020 9:30 PM

Apr 2020
This episode was really fucking annoying.
Dec 23, 2020 8:55 AM

Jul 2020
That was some ballsy stuff right there. Fire scene was one of the most intense moments in the show.
Jan 16, 2021 5:24 PM
Apr 2013
I thought this episode was a great climax from the introduction of Richard Braun to all of the Schubert drama leading up to it. In this arc we've gained a great deal of insight into who Johan is and glimpses into his motives as a "person" / literal monster. I personally found everything to be fascinating all while these carefully crafted events surrounding Mr. Schubert unraveled into a mass of utter chaos.

This arc kept me enticed throughout it's entirety and posed to intriguing questions for the upcoming episodes.

I see a lot of people on here being frustrated that Tenma couldn't take the shot on Johan, but let's be honest; ever since that episode where he learned how to use a firearm everyone knew that he wouldn't be able to shoot Johan. The man is the literal representation of the good in humanity, of course he wouldn't be able to shoot Johan despite everything he's done. Johan was just standing there defenseless out in the open. Roberto on the other hand was an immediate threat to Tenma, and thank god he was. Tenma shooting him was incredibly satisfying, and quite theatric as well with the whole building going up in flames and him getting flung off the railing.
This anime has impressed me thoroughly up to this point, but this episode solidified it as 10 on my list.
Jan 23, 2021 7:44 AM

Feb 2020
The hesitating to shoot Johan was fine up to a point but they certainly dragged it out
Feb 3, 2021 6:15 PM

Aug 2018
Any future deaths at the hands of Johan are on Tenma as well after this if you ask me. This is getting ridiculous. Really hurting my ability to take the show seriously now.
Feb 24, 2021 2:22 AM

Jun 2020
I'm glad Tenma killed Roberto but he's running out of reasons to not finish the Johan job...
Mar 17, 2021 9:53 PM

Jan 2016
NGL seeing Roberto get shot was the most satisfying thing ever. Fuck that guy. Also how in the hell did they not shoot Johan? Gotta be the most plot armor moment ever. Not complaining tho. I find Johan interesting unlike Roberto.
May 7, 2021 1:36 AM
Feb 2021
OMFG !!
So good episode. Johan indicated towards hi head making Tenma realise that he once saved his life . Johan just moved away from them in style and they were not able to do a shit.
BEST EP YET
I thought AOT was overrated , but S4 changed my mind. It's epic.

Highly recommend it
May 14, 2021 4:37 PM

Apr 2021
It has been posed by Schuwald that in order to defeat a monster, one has to become an even bigger monster. In my opinion, that is not entirely accurate. Or at least, it is not the only way. Greater evil cannot defeat lesser evil. It is only good which can.

If we stick to the first method, we only perpetrate the never-ending cycle of hatred, dissent and chaos. Having said that, Monster did a good job of presenting these two alternative options. Will evil be defeated by a greater one (perhaps in the person of Anna) or by good (perhaps in the person of Dr. Tenma)?
“Why does an apple fall when it is ripe? Is it brought down by the force of gravity? Is it because its stalk withers? Because it is dried by the sun, because it grows too heavy, or because the boy standing under the tree wants to eat it? None of these is the cause.... Every action of theirs, that seems to them an act of their own free will is in the historical sense not free at all but is bound up with the whole course of history and preordained from all eternity.”

― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Jun 6, 2021 4:25 PM
May 2018
When I've read that Johan was like Houdini I didn't think it was this apparent, what a great episode. It may have worked better if the pauses on the episode weren't that long (though I didn't mind it nor think it makes the whole ordeal worse), so I'm gonna assume it worked better in paper.
Jun 18, 2021 9:36 PM

Jan 2020
I can kind of understand why they are hesitant considering the insane presense and fear that johan emits

Jun 20, 2021 2:11 AM

Jul 2020
I hope my waifu's okay
Jun 30, 2021 10:01 AM

Jan 2021
This is truly stupid!!!
He ruined his chance to kill Johan.
Jul 15, 2021 8:35 PM
Jul 2018
Seing people bitching about how Tenma didn't kill Johan is just fucking stupid, I mean for fuck sake wasn't Tenma already hinted on about how he is so nice like in the episode 20 where the cop couldn't report him because he knew he was good, It's just Tenma has that doctor mentality where he just can't kill someone because he saves people I mean how fucking stupid can you be to not realize all those episodes that they were hinting about how Tenma isn't able to kill Johan, Also Nina forter had some courage to kill him but yeah she couldn't it's just the character are too realistic and if you paid attention in the "filler" episodes you could already knew that they had big importance to this episode but yeah try to watch with your brain next time
Jul 29, 2021 11:08 PM

Dec 2018
so much of this and a lot of episodes is filler, or rather stretched out, or rehashing of stuff we already know
Sep 12, 2021 2:43 AM

Mar 2021
omgomg the way johan leaves the fire <333

and kinda stupid episode, "dont shoot, nina" "dont shoot, tenma"
Sep 14, 2021 9:10 AM

Mar 2021
I doubt ze roberto died here, cuz y'know he's a big man with a big dong ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tenma could have ended the story here, but then hesitation kicks in ;-;

Great episode btw
🐐

Oct 13, 2021 2:57 AM

Jul 2015
Too bad both Tenma and Nina hesistated in shooting Johan, well at least Tenma managed to shoot Roberto.

Its kinda messed up to realise that Margot died because of taking in 18-year old Johan who is most likely the son of her old friend with whom she crossed the border with.

Oct 28, 2021 6:51 AM

Mar 2020
Johan has such a plot armor he can not only breathe among the smoke where other people suffocate but also deflect bullets and even reverse other people's character development. What a chad!
Nov 29, 2021 10:49 AM
Nov 2020
The way Johan casually walks in a freaking a fire with 2 guns pointed at him is just lit (pun intended)
He even taunted Tenma to aim properly
Dec 30, 2021 10:58 PM

Jul 2016
*Tenma shoots Roberto down*
Me: Hell yeah! He's ready.

*Tenma lets Johan walk pass him*
Me: Goddammit!

Disappointing episode. Tenma using a gun to open big library doors sure was some stupid level writing and surprise! besides being almighty, Johan is now confirmed to have plot armour. It seems toxic smoke can't even reach nor affect him, btw.

P.S.: So Karl's mother was friends with one of Johan and Anna's biological parents, huh?
Jan 14, 2022 10:30 PM
May 2016
Frustrating as fuck to watch, Tenma and Anna are equally cucked faggots.
Feb 10, 2022 5:33 AM

Jan 2021
So Carl’s mom was friends with Johan and Nina’s mom but she got stuck at the border while her twins made it but then she end’s up living with Johan because he reminds her of Carl but she doesn’t know who johan really is and once Johan got bored he killed her everything was connected
Feb 27, 2022 7:58 PM

Apr 2020
I can't believe all the people saying that this episode hurt the series because Dr. Tenma couldn't shoot Johan. We know so little about what's going on in Johan's head at this point that killing him would leave us with 1000 questions that will never get answered. I trust that this is heading in the right direction.

Besides, I'm glad that Dr. Tenma didn't completely assassinate his own character just to end the tension early.
Apr 16, 2022 12:39 AM

Feb 2012
KoyomiV2 said:
Seing people bitching about how Tenma didn't kill Johan is just fucking stupid, I mean for fuck sake wasn't Tenma already hinted on about how he is so nice like in the episode 20 where the cop couldn't report him because he knew he was good, It's just Tenma has that doctor mentality where he just can't kill someone because he saves people I mean how fucking stupid can you be to not realize all those episodes that they were hinting about how Tenma isn't able to kill Johan, Also Nina forter had some courage to kill him but yeah she couldn't it's just the character are too realistic and if you paid attention in the "filler" episodes you could already knew that they had big importance to this episode but yeah try to watch with your brain next time

Because they are out of reality. That's what happens when they only have an attention span of a goldfish. Or let's just say, some of these people are born to kill. Even if we are in Tenma's situation and we want to kill Johan. In that tight spot, we also can't pull the trigger. But some of these commenters can probably pull the trigger without second thoughts. They had it in them to be a murderer. I'm shocked how they casually say that.

They say Tenma can pull the trigger against Roberto. It's a different situation, it's kill or be killed. From where the shot goes, you can definitely tell Tenma hadn't had it in him to kill people.
susisa_tagumpayApr 16, 2022 12:54 AM
May 11, 2022 8:32 AM

Feb 2021
Well it wasn't like I didn't see it coming. 30+ more eps left to endure
May 28, 2022 10:04 PM

Jun 2020
Seriously, what is going on? Johan walks past Tenma and Tenma stands there doing absolutely nothing about it. Hopefully, there is a good explanation for this scene...
Jul 26, 2022 9:19 AM

May 2020
So proud of Tenma for double tapping that assassin. I get the feeling he's not dead though.

Also why does this library not have a sprinkler system? It's literally wall-to-wall flammable materials.
Aug 17, 2022 3:01 PM

Mar 2022
Well this episode was both suprising and thrilling. I'm taking my words back, Tenma really did shoot that guy. We also learned Johan and Carl's mothers were friends.
Jan 7, 2023 3:31 PM
May 2022
muy epico, tenma hazme un hijo por favor
Jan 10, 2023 8:34 AM

Mar 2021
Hell yeah Roberto is out, that asshole completely deserves it

He is Tenma's first kill though... poor guy...  It was self defence though. At least he's not trembling any more.

I feel like deep inside Johan might've really wanted to be shot by Tenma there...

susisa_tagumpay said:
KoyomiV2 said:

Because they are out of reality. That's what happens when they only have an attention span of a goldfish. Or let's just say, some of these people are born to kill. Even if we are in Tenma's situation and we want to kill Johan. In that tight spot, we also can't pull the trigger. But some of these commenters can probably pull the trigger without second thoughts. They had it in them to be a murderer. I'm shocked how they casually say that.

They say Tenma can pull the trigger against Roberto. It's a different situation, it's kill or be killed. From where the shot goes, you can definitely tell Tenma hadn't had it in him to kill people.
Exactly. Some people here are extremely edgy and think that killing someone is like shooting an NPC in a videogame. Tenma has witnessed a number of murders and knows how horrible it is when some lives are cut short. In this case, it's even more understandable because he knows Johan since Johan was a little kid, and he saved his life back then. Plus Johan provoked him to shoot him in the head which was bound to return some memories. Some people just cannot comprehend any of this for whatever reason.

Jan 12, 2023 7:48 AM
May 2020
just a press of a trigger... so simple but so hard
Jan 13, 2023 3:24 PM
Nov 2020
What is this weird situation between Nina and him? "Let me shoot!" "No, let me!" (Neither of them hit the target).....

Also Karl's mom was trying to escape Prague with the mother of the twins. It keeps getting more interesting!
obeequanJan 13, 2023 4:14 PM
Jan 15, 2023 3:00 AM
Oct 2019
It is all getting crazy haha.

Anna and Tenma couldn't do it. They can't shoot him.
This man is unstoppable.
Jan 19, 2023 5:35 PM
Nov 2019
so close to killing johan
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

138 by wallus81 »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

624 by Anamo7 »»
Apr 26, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.