Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 23, 2014 12:24 AM

Apr 2012
fuck this episode pissed me off so much

It was pretty much a forgone conclusion that he would chicken out, but it didn't stop me from screaming at the screen "SQUEEZE IT YOU PUSSY FUCK " LOL

creepy children's book. Now the ED makes sense.

Jun 23, 2014 7:09 AM

Jul 2012
That book was creepy
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Sep 6, 2014 7:18 AM

Mar 2013
Goddamn, that was an amazing episode. The first part with Mamiko Noto's (perfect) narration was great and very insightful, and the second part was intense as hell.
Oct 5, 2014 2:59 PM

Jan 2013
"At last he had found a name, but there was no longer anyone to call him by it.

Such a shame, because Johan, was such a wonderful name."

:(
Oct 28, 2014 7:29 PM

Nov 2011
That is such a screwed up book. What the crap. And it's supposed to be for children?! e.e

I can see the direction comparisons to Johan being the monster, but I think he's actually the prince. If there was any purpose to the biblical quote at the beginning of the series, the monster is a demon of some sort, or at least a drive to kill (murderous intent). Johan is being thrilled and taking pleasure in dark and negative emotions such as fear, bloodlust, and a twisted "curiosity" (toying with people's lives).

I think he's trying to find someone like himself, or at least "pass on the monster".

I figured someone would stop Tenma, but I wasn't expecting Roberto. Including his "wife" was a nice touch as well.

"Good" episode.

The atmosphere and tension is top notch.
Nov 2, 2014 7:58 PM

Aug 2008
Watching Monster is challenging. I mean, it's brilliantly written, but I still like stories better when the MC threw away his humanity to achieve what would have been the best for everyone.

Tenma, just how many more people are you ready to sacrifice and how much more do you want to be tormented before you are ready... He's too noble I find.
Dec 29, 2014 4:11 AM

Feb 2013
Of course Tenma didn't shoot Johan. Typical. But the fire in the end is quite unexpected so it's cool.

Overall, I love this episode. The suspense is something to die for. It almost feels like watching Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. Amazing stuff, this.
Jan 5, 2015 8:41 PM

Jan 2009
hznu said:
Hahaha awesome book. Lotte is a HUGE cunt.

The fire scene was awesome. Everything was great. I'm glad I don't watch previews. I hope Tenma shoots him and this is the turning point for him...

BTW wtf is up with the ending theme? It sucks. A lot.

Really great episode! I 10000000% agree with you on the ending song. I thought the first one was bad but this second ending is horrible.
Jan 13, 2015 7:24 AM

Oct 2014
That story was awesome
Feb 2, 2015 11:50 PM

Nov 2013
HOLY FUCK! THE SHIT HITS THE FAN!

That was a children's story? Jesus Christ that was dark...

Lotte is SO annoying!

Once again Tenma's being a cunt and is too scared to shoot Johan. *sigh* I hope that man grows a pair of balls some time in the next century.

I hope Tenma shot that bastard Roberto. He deserves it.

Epic episode. Hope we get more of these god-tier episodes like this.

10/10

Feb 14, 2015 7:33 PM

Mar 2013
Excellent episode with epic scenes. This anime is continuing to surprize me. What a plan... Like a child is playing the swarm of ants. Controlling the fear, and enjoying it. God damn Johann is pretty good this job.
Feb 16, 2015 8:38 AM

Nov 2014
Is that a book someone wrote for children? Really?
I still wonder what exactly in it that made it so touching for Johan, I mean it is the story of his life but he knows that right?

Also, I am more and more curious about the origin of the twins, who are their parents? how were they raised in the first time?
Mar 31, 2015 2:23 AM
Nov 2014
I loved everything about this ep.. 5/5

That monster's story was so scary lel, doesn't seems like a children story book for me :P

Hopefully Tenma shot Roberto at the end lol.
Jul 9, 2015 8:09 AM
Mar 2015
I want that book so much!

Best episode yet.That was intense.

I was screaming ''SHOOT HIM'' at the end.
Jul 20, 2015 6:10 AM

Nov 2013
Summary: Nina reads story. Flashbacks. Tenma doesn't pull the trigger (obviously), but spends a lot of time aiming it a Johan's head. Roberto interrupts him. Lady starts a fire. Johan creepily narrates this to the Vampire of bayern.
Damnit Monster, everytime I watch this show I have to watch like 6 episodes in a row to find out what happens.
Jul 24, 2015 11:20 AM

Jul 2014
Damn, I can't believe that I'm halfway done with this show. It feels like just yesterday that I started to watch this.

5/5
Aug 21, 2015 5:28 AM

Aug 2015
Probably the best episode so far. Really intersting the book story, the two monster probably are a reference about Johan and Nina. Johan's seems to just enjoy people's fear and to have a perfect plan. The build up to this moment was perfect and unlike a lot of people i loved Tenma's indecision when he was about to shoot, very realistic but if he did shoot Roberto then it's a turning point. I'm wondering about what's Lunge doing now but at the end of the arc i expect to have a new confrotation between him and tenma!
Aug 31, 2015 1:38 AM

Dec 2013
Little story was cool but it doesn't really sound like something for kids...

Damn shit went down! Yohan FTW
Aug 31, 2015 9:30 AM

May 2012
shits goin down, dat cliffhanger doe
Sep 1, 2015 2:51 PM

Dec 2013
Can't believe I accurately predicted that the picture book was related to the ED :D

That story was disturbing, by the way. Not something I would present my young children with, at the least.
PriestSlayerSep 1, 2015 2:56 PM
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 5, 2015 12:12 PM

Nov 2011
The storybook was brilliant. No way Tenma was going to shoot with 33 eps left, thought Nina would play some part in this ep, i'm now curious as to what happens between Schuwald and Johan now that he knows what he is, but judging from things they might just carry on as things were.

I'm still struggling to figure out why Johan would want to kill Schuwald, he's pretty much giving him an avenue to many things in life.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 24, 2015 3:38 PM
Sep 2015
Very good. I really hope that hit man dies somehow.
Oct 27, 2015 7:31 AM

Mar 2008
Halfway there and it's been pretty bad so far. How disappointing.
Feb 16, 2016 2:40 PM

Jan 2016
I loved this episode! And the book was very enlightenung.. and disturbing XD
Well, after all the original Grimm's fairy tales were quite gruesome too..
May 31, 2016 2:31 PM

Feb 2013
That picture book was interesting, the story was great, a nameless monster crawling inside of humans to take their names but eating them from the inside when it's hungry.
In the end he is the only one remaining.
The library is on fire, Johan did all of this to make Schubert feel fear?
If that is true, he's awesome.
Jun 1, 2016 6:12 PM

Apr 2014
i really enjoyed the picture book. if i read that as a child i wouldn't be able to sleep at night. it was very eerie and fit Johan perfectly. i wonder if the split monster represented Anna and Johan or Johan's 2 personalities.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2016 4:29 AM

Aug 2014
This story is dark lol, I think it explains the origins of Johan and Anna, but i dont understand what is the point of the monster who wants a name.

Though full of intense moments this episode is one if not the best episode in Monster.
Excellent Episode.
Jul 20, 2016 3:46 PM

Jul 2015
my fav episode of the show so far, its getting so good. and the picture book accurately represents the twins. cant wait to watch more
Jul 30, 2016 9:15 AM
Dec 2014
The best episode so far it was very intense.
People who complained about Tenma inability to shoot Johan, don't understand that killing someone is not easy especially if you're job is to save people not killing them and the fact that Johan know that Tenma is targeting him.
Oct 22, 2016 9:01 AM

Jan 2016
Tenma was annoying af with all that hesitation
Dec 16, 2016 12:13 PM

May 2016
Shit that book twisted Johan brian well now we now that the monster in the ending is from that book it was a really interesting episode I thought Schuwald was a goner
Jan 22, 2017 2:49 PM
Jul 2015
How the fuck did Roberto sneak behind Tenma on a fucking bookshelf without Tenma hearing him. And how the fuck Tenma didn't pull the fucking trigger to kill that motherfucker. No fucking sense.
Jan 23, 2017 3:42 AM
Jan 2017
Izanami26 said:
How the fuck did Roberto sneak behind Tenma on a fucking bookshelf without Tenma hearing him. And how the fuck Tenma didn't pull the fucking trigger to kill that motherfucker. No fucking sense.

well, he IS a skilled hitman. hitmen and assassins are supposed to be sort of stealthy. i'm guessing that's y tenma didn't notice him.
Jan 28, 2017 8:17 PM

Jun 2009
Ah, the picture book is finally in play. Well, the concept was introduced a few episodes. But, anyway, this is one of my favorite concepts of the series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 31, 2017 9:57 AM
Feb 2015
Lotte such an annoying bitch ffs why do you care about Nina's past, its fucking personal
Feb 6, 2017 1:46 PM

Mar 2016
Considering how good were the movies from Grimm brothers tales, I would like to see an Disney adaptation of that book.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jun 13, 2017 9:35 PM

May 2015
What kind of picture book is that…?

About Tenma even if he didn’t shoot Johan I understand it but why didn’t he shoot Roberto in the freaking leg or a non-vital spot (it is one thing to kill a person but it is another thing to disable a threat)...? Is mindboggling to me just freaking shoot!
Roy_FockerJun 13, 2017 10:35 PM
Jun 16, 2017 12:41 AM
Jan 2017
The most awesome and fast paced episode of the series.The story was also good and creepy.How did even such a story ended up in a picture's book???
CoreFinderJun 16, 2017 12:50 AM
Jun 18, 2017 1:11 AM

Oct 2012
That's totally not your normal picture book
Noto Mamiko is narrating, am I dreaming right now? xD

If Roberto died there
So many people are not going to die
Good job Tenma?
I hope Roberto died
"Signature removed"
Aug 5, 2017 6:12 AM

Jul 2017
this roberto guys fucking annoying.... but hes actually a good villain ngl
the action was intense on this one
5/5
Aug 9, 2017 3:58 AM
Jul 2018
tbh this anime could have ended the next 3 episodes
Sep 8, 2017 6:55 AM

Jul 2016
Holy, that was tense. Really tense.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 21, 2018 7:12 AM

Mar 2016
I'm very upsetti spaghetti
I'm a huge book lover and it kills my soul to see them all destroyed even though it's fake XD
I really hope the old blind guy survives :/
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Feb 1, 2018 1:33 AM

Jan 2018
The picture book Obluda: a long time ago - pre-Disney - fairy tales were generally dark stories without happy endings. Admonitions to children rather than feel good entertainment. It's only recent that everything has been sanitized for the kiddos. One reason they're all spoiled, entitled brats :P

Great episode. Of course Tenma didn't kill Johan as there's still half the series left.
Apr 17, 2018 4:40 AM

Feb 2018
THat children's book sounds pretty much like your average ger,any bed time story xd
May 1, 2018 3:23 AM

Sep 2017
Good episode. Took me 2.5 months to complete half of the series.

Johan was brilliant, making Robert take care of Tenma and putting the fire. He wants Schubert to feel the pain.

I hope Lotte dies. She is my most hated character in Monster after Eva and Dieter.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 15, 2018 5:17 PM
Jul 2017
Damn good episode. That picture book is fucking horrifying.
Dec 30, 2018 12:37 PM

Nov 2016
I knew that we would get the story of the picture book told at some point.

And seriously, I said that this episode would be fire, but I didn't mean it literally xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 14, 2019 2:52 PM
Oct 2017
I was expecting to see the story of the pictures in each outro to come in to the history since the first episode and today I was not dissapointed, it's nice to see how it did lead into the story, although I was expecting it to see it towards the end. Also why tf did Johan read it? Just because he wanted and that's it?

Tenma really pissed me off, as always this is so fucking cliche of chickening out, besides, it doesn't matter if Johan gets killed or not at this point since there could be other ways to continue his legacy (it has been done before, but I won't see which series/movies because of spoiler), like, I don't know, making Tenma see that killing Johan was just the beginning but there is now a lot of people manipulated by him that want to fulfill his last wishes, or introduce a related character that would take his role, besides we are seeing some stuff about insinuating a double personality so maybe his evil personality could have died with a shot and making the restant part of the anime about Johan trying to get rid once and for all of his evil personality that is trying to come back, I don't know I'm just wandering around now but as I say, Johan could have died in this point and the anime would have continued.

Heck, maybe Tenma could have shot Johan and realized that effectively doesn't exist and was inside of him (there would be an incredible amount of holes with that theory of course but I sometimes like to think as if Lunge's theory was right and try to see how things would connect then, remember, Johan himself says that he doesn't exist, and Nina said that there are two Johans, maybe Tenma has one Johan in his head (one that he created when he lost his chief position at the hospital to protect himself of his own murders and his lust of create chaos when he realized that saving the mayor was the best and that is not worth considering all lifes as equal because he lost everything back then?) and another real one? I don't know, it would be very crazy to see how everything would connect, so I'm excited, it actually took me time to develop this theory so I'm just waiting to fill the holes, lol.

Overall very frustated with the build up until that point because I knew Tenma wouldn't do it, we could have better skipped it, that suspense... pointless, and the fire pissed me off because it meant for Tenma that his chance to end it all was gone, lol, but anyway.

I want to see how the other half of episodes end, I want to see more twists and I hope it doesn't because just a hide and seek.
Feb 18, 2019 9:23 AM
Apr 2016
Ok, fricking Johan changed the plan, decided to BURN everyone....heck.... Tenma was stopped by Roberto, even though I doubt that Tenma'd shoot... That cliffhanger tho... hiuhaf8ga9uat7yafaga
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by wibugar »»
Yesterday, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.