Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 7, 2022 8:55 AM

Feb 2022
SpagsBol said:
Hamsandwich25 said:

Also, it's quite sad that the shenmue dojo has a thread encouraging users to artificially inflate the score here, but what can you do?

damn, how dare fans rate something they like highly 🤪
no dude you can't just enjoy things
Feb 7, 2022 9:02 AM
Sep 2019

The only sad thing here is it's how you try to denigrate this anime and the ones that liked it. Seriously, don't you have anything better to do with your life than this? The butthurt of some in this site is real. Is that bad that some fans of the games and new people enjoyed it? No one messes with your score, so let others score it how they want.

SpagsBol said:

damn, how dare fans rate something they like highly 🤪

Ha ha, that's a good one. Please forgive us for rating high what we like.
KeidohannaFeb 7, 2022 9:52 AM
Feb 7, 2022 9:20 AM
Feb 2022
What an interesting vibe and cross of genres this one episode achieved.

Thriller, slice of life, martial arts, eastern mysticism and an 80's period piece.

The plots has my attention and I'm keen to keep up with the characters.

Hopefully I won't have it all spoiled by the Dreamcast fans!
Feb 7, 2022 9:38 AM

Feb 2022
Jaelius said:

Thriller, slice of life, martial arts, eastern mysticism and an 80's period piece.

Don't forget "mystery"! It's really awesome to see people who weren't already fans of the game enjoying this.
Feb 7, 2022 9:43 AM
Nov 2021
banana31231321 said:
Jaelius said:

Don't forget "mystery"! It's really awesome to see people who weren't already fans of the game enjoying this.

Indeed. I hope we see Ryo running around Yokosuka investigating in earnest next week. :)
Feb 7, 2022 10:47 AM
Aug 2020
Well that was an interesting reinterpretation of Shenmue
Feb 7, 2022 1:13 PM
Feb 2022
LRukasu said:
The show already has less than 7 in score. How the heck people give scores watching just the first episode AND how is it possible that shows like takt (that sucked btw) have better scores? I'll never understand

Because people are pathetic.

Yeah it was a bit rushed. Chai showing up already knowing about the second mirror was dumb....he's supposed to overhear it at Chen's warehouse if memory serves. And Ryo doesn't even square off against him till the arcade I believe.

Still, everything else was awesome. Tom, the locations being exactly like the game, the music, the animation. You can tell there was a lot of care that went into this. Also, it's the FIRST episode. Lol. Hell, it even had the flashback scene from the game where Ryo and his father are sparing.

For people to dunk on it because their rose tinted glasses are too foggy is ridiculous. Lol. I just finished playing through the game again as well...so I went in fully refreshed on what happens. Did people want 5 episodes of Ryo waking up, collecting his allowance, and asking everyone in town where sailors are? Or where he can find Chinese people? Lol. Or a whole episode devoted to Gatchapon collecting? How about going door to door asking old people if they saw a black car? Come on.

These aren't long games really either. If you know what you're doing you can beat the first game in like two weeks in game time. Same with the second one. They're only long if you don't know where to go or you want to explore and literally see and do everything. And most of the extra stuff isn't all that plot relevant either. 13 episodes just for the first game seems like a bit much honestly when you consider that. The first game could have been a two part OVA or one 2 hour movie and been totally fine.

To each their own I guess, but compared to the flavor of the week Shonen stuff, I'll take stuff like this any day. Easily a 7.

At the end of the day though, I don't take review sites seriously. When trash anime gets over rated and good stuff goes ignored, you just learn to be pretty meh about it. Especially on here. If you aren't a Shonen show, a show with waifus, or some high art piece like Paprika, then you're rated a 4. At least that's what it's seemed like to me for years.
KazahashiFeb 7, 2022 1:47 PM
Feb 7, 2022 1:52 PM
Oct 2021
It’s ok. The animation is kinda choppy, the characters/story minus the bad guy vs the good guy adventure are pretty uninteresting, I want to play the Dreamcast game, heard it was sweet. Looking forward to episode 2 for sure.
Feb 7, 2022 1:54 PM
Feb 2022
Devil_Hunter_II said:
It’s ok. The animation is kinda choppy, the characters/story minus the bad guy vs the good guy adventure are pretty uninteresting, I want to play the Dreamcast game, heard it was sweet. Looking forward to episode 2 for sure.

Game is absolutely amazing. The HD collection is fantastic and goes on sale too. I just saw it on sale on PSN for 6 bucks a couple weeks back.
Feb 7, 2022 2:33 PM
Feb 2022
Devil_Hunter_II said:

You will love the games I'm sure of it. They're often cheap on PS4 and PC these days.
Feb 7, 2022 3:42 PM
Jun 2019
Kazahashi said:
LRukasu said:
The show already has less than 7 in score. How the heck people give scores watching just the first episode AND how is it possible that shows like takt (that sucked btw) have better scores? I'll never understand

Because people are pathetic.

Yeah it was a bit rushed. Chai showing up already knowing about the second mirror was dumb....he's supposed to overhear it at Chen's warehouse if memory serves. And Ryo doesn't even square off against him till the arcade I believe.

Still, everything else was awesome. Tom, the locations being exactly like the game, the music, the animation. You can tell there was a lot of care that went into this. Also, it's the FIRST episode. Lol. Hell, it even had the flashback scene from the game where Ryo and his father are sparing.

For people to dunk on it because their rose tinted glasses are too foggy is ridiculous. Lol. I just finished playing through the game again as well...so I went in fully refreshed on what happens. Did people want 5 episodes of Ryo waking up, collecting his allowance, and asking everyone in town where sailors are? Or where he can find Chinese people? Lol. Or a whole episode devoted to Gatchapon collecting? How about going door to door asking old people if they saw a black car? Come on.

These aren't long games really either. If you know what you're doing you can beat the first game in like two weeks in game time. Same with the second one. They're only long if you don't know where to go or you want to explore and literally see and do everything. And most of the extra stuff isn't all that plot relevant either. 13 episodes just for the first game seems like a bit much honestly when you consider that. The first game could have been a two part OVA or one 2 hour movie and been totally fine.

To each their own I guess, but compared to the flavor of the week Shonen stuff, I'll take stuff like this any day. Easily a 7.

At the end of the day though, I don't take review sites seriously. When trash anime gets over rated and good stuff goes ignored, you just learn to be pretty meh about it. Especially on here. If you aren't a Shonen show, a show with waifus, or some high art piece like Paprika, then you're rated a 4. At least that's what it's seemed like to me for years.

Dude, very nice reading your point of view, specially knowing the game and have played it so recently. Really nice seeing the comparison and everything you said makes total sense, really appreciated
Feb 7, 2022 5:46 PM
Oct 2021
spud19870 said:
Devil_Hunter_II said:

You will love the games I'm sure of it. They're often cheap on PS4 and PC these days.

Yo, yea
This game looks kick ass ;)
Thx for heads up man :)
Feb 7, 2022 5:47 PM
Oct 2021
Kazahashi said:
Devil_Hunter_II said:

Game is absolutely amazing. The HD collection is fantastic and goes on sale too. I just saw it on sale on PSN for 6 bucks a couple weeks back.

Hells yea man, stoked 2 play it #D
Feb 7, 2022 6:53 PM

Jun 2019
I need that awkward, stiff and wonderful English voices just like the ones in game.

That's the real stuff.
Feb 7, 2022 8:17 PM
Oct 2009
I'm a huge fan of the games. I had low expectations of this.

It's your average video game anime adaptation. Low quality animation and a poor dub. But it's mildly entertaining and hits the nostalgia heartstrings. 3/5
Feb 7, 2022 11:51 PM

Oct 2008
i immediately noticed the ED performed by Kashitarou Itou!
so a game by SEGA huh...story's pretty generic with a lot of Karate + Kungfu fights huh...

Feb 8, 2022 1:37 AM

Jun 2015
Long-time hardcore Shenmue fan here, and I loved it.

As a fellow fan, I respect the hate crowd, but you have to understand that Shenmue's pacing and characterization just wouldn't work in anime. It's a good thing that they're shuffling things up and providing a different, more dynamic take on the storyline, because if they included every single step from the games, us fans would probably enjoy it, but everyone else would just find it extremely boring. It's a good thing that it's different.

I love the new take on Ryo. Giving him a bit more of a personality made him translate really well into an anime protagonist. I also really liked that judo fight and him getting set up as an unbeatable prodigy, as that just further accentuates how weak he really is against Lan Di, and that in turn makes his father's words hit that much harder. Such a nice touch. They could do wonders with this new Ryo if they handle him right.
Nozomi also seems a bit different, specifically less melancholic/passive than she was in the games. I like this new spunky/independent take on her character.
It's also interesting how they're already introducing Shenhua.
About the Chai "plothole", I don't think it necessarily was one. Chai could've easily just assumed that it was there and targeted Ryo because of that. Sure, it's less impactful than in the game, but I don't think it's necessarily a mistake.

The art and animation could have been a lot better, but they weren't terrible.
I love how the soundtrack is mostly comprised of new arrangements of the games' OST. I tear up every time I hear a familiar tune.
All in all, I liked the episode a lot, and I'm cautiously excited for the rest. If they handle this adaptation right, it's going to be amazing.

btw, did anyone notice the two alternate costumes from Shenmue III in the background during a certain scene? Go back and find them :D

Kazahashi said:

^Agreed
ShadowMonkeyFeb 8, 2022 2:02 AM
Feb 8, 2022 4:16 AM

Apr 2015
I never played the games but the first episode makes me interested. The way the story follows, the corny dialogues with NPCs. I liked! makes me remember that old adaptations from Street Fighter and Virtua fighter.

Where is my Yakuza adaptation Sega???
Feb 8, 2022 4:41 AM

Sep 2011
ScarRufus said:

Where is my Yakuza adaptation Sega???
Not anime but apparently Judgement is gonna have a TV series with Yagami's actor

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 8, 2022 8:35 AM
Apr 2018
-Hermit- said:
Massive Shenmue fan here, my favourite game of all time, but I wasn't impressed with the first episode of the anime. I personally thought it was rushed and a bit of a mess. The voice acting in Engllish was bad, the art wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Disappointed with the start, hopefully it gets better.
i have heard that crunchyroll orignals all tend to have bad dubs. I hope they don't keep the precedent up
Feb 9, 2022 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
Just remember, its not a faithful adaptation if he doesn't start asking about sailors all of a sudden.
Feb 13, 2022 6:53 AM

Dec 2016
For a very first episode, it looks promising! Never played Shenmue, but I know it's a very popular game from Sega Dreamcast and I'm looking forward to know the rest of the story in this animated series :)

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Feb 16, 2022 4:35 PM
Oct 2019
that was a good start. i want to see some fights and i want to learn more about these mirrors and his father's past

interesting. 8/10
Feb 17, 2022 12:02 PM

Jan 2021
The wooden delivery for the English dub reminds me of the games. Would love to see videogamedunkey's reaction to this series.
May 3, 2022 12:13 AM

Jul 2015
Lan Di is truly despicable for hitting Tom's food truck, splashing mud on Harasaki and giving Ryou a facial scar on the same spot. .....Oh and also murdering Ryou's father.

Feb 1, 12:21 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
As a fan of the games this brings back so many memories. The locations and the music are just spot on. The animators really did a good job on the combat having some serious weight to it!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shenmue the Animation Episode 13 Discussion

KANLen09 - Apr 30, 2022

28 by divlyfein »»
Feb 9, 3:45 PM

Poll: » Shenmue the Animation Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 12, 2022

21 by divlyfein »»
Feb 1, 12:33 PM

» Second season as been canceled

Katzu_kun - Sep 30, 2022

29 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 19, 2023 1:44 PM

» Why is this rated R-17 when the games are teen?

AkihitoZero1224 - Nov 30, 2022

3 by TheRealRouges »»
Dec 1, 2022 12:04 AM

Poll: » Shenmue the Animation Episode 3 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 19, 2022

15 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 24, 2022 7:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.