Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
do you think Homura is a good person?
Feb 2, 2022 7:57 PM

Jul 2019
I'm honestly just curious as to what people think about her, There's a lot of things floating around saying she's a bad person and things saying she's a good person. but I want to know what you guys think of her.
Feb 2, 2022 8:13 PM
Oct 2021
How can she be a bad person when she didn't do anything wrong? I can understand if you haven't watched all the episodes but the people saying she is bad after watching all of the episodes are just dumb.
Feb 2, 2022 8:36 PM

Apr 2021
Yeah, she’s just a horny lesbian tbh
Feb 2, 2022 8:38 PM
Jul 2020
You should probably have made this thread under the movie, because there are a lot of people (like axtrast above me) who haven’t seen the movie and will be confused by the question because in the series she doesn’t seem to be morally ambiguous at all.
Feb 2, 2022 8:39 PM

Jan 2021
She's not a bad person but I found her reasonings for all this mess underwhelming.
Feb 2, 2022 10:05 PM

Oct 2012
I think she is a fascinating and very compelling character to watch. I’m not sure you could describe any of the main girls actions as “good” throughout the series, with the exception of Madoka herself, and even hers are loaded with issues.

Feb 2, 2022 11:07 PM

Jul 2015
No.
As a yandere, her actions are entirely selfish and imprisoning Incubators threatens entire universe.

Feb 2, 2022 11:24 PM
Jul 2019
If you properly understood what happened in Rebellion there is no reason to think Homura has done anything wrong.
Apart from threatening to kill Sayaka in the original series lol.
Feb 3, 2022 12:18 AM
Jul 2018
Piromysl said:
No.
As a yandere, her actions are entirely selfish and imprisoning Incubators threatens entire universe.

Yandere?

I think you need to stick with more... simple shows. This isn't the right series for those stupid, simplistic anime girl characterisation tropes.

"Dere" tropes were fun when we were all edgelords who'd say things like "wow I want a girlfriend who would literally kill me", but 2015 was 7 years ago.
removed-userFeb 3, 2022 2:14 AM
Feb 3, 2022 12:42 AM

Sep 2017
Do you think I’m dying that many times to save a high school friend, from making a decision…..sigh* , I guess this is why I have no friends…damn
Feb 3, 2022 2:57 AM
Oct 2020
I wouldn’t say shes a bad person, if you are pushed that much and had all that trauma it isn’t surprising that she would make a bad decision, and it’s not like she did anything to make people suffer, she was true to her desires and did it for herself, which obviously isn’t an excuse for what happened but the point is it wasn’t an objectively evil act
Feb 3, 2022 5:57 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Austin_Beale said:
You should probably have made this thread under the movie, because there are a lot of people (like axtrast above me) who haven’t seen the movie and will be confused by the question because in the series she doesn’t seem to be morally ambiguous at all.

Ya TV show paints her as solely being a sort of tragic heroine figthing against faith

Evolved_KiR4T said:
She's not a bad person but I found her reasonings for all this mess underwhelming.

Can you think of many reasons better then saving the people you love and in the process the world, lol?

Papa_B said:
I think she is a fascinating and very compelling character to watch. I’m not sure you could describe any of the main girls actions as “good” throughout the series, with the exception of Madoka herself, and even hers are loaded with issues.

Agreed, part of the shows themeing is all about terms like 'good' and 'bad' - No one in it truely is good or bad, just human ( hence the irony of the magical girl not being human).

Chiribei said:
Piromysl said:
No.

Yandere?

I think you need to stick with more... simple shows. This isn't the right series for those stupid, simplistic anime girl characterisation tropes.

"Dere" tropes were fun when we were all edgelords who'd say things like "wow I want a girlfriend who would literally kill me", but 2015 was 7 years ago.

I agree Dere troops are pretty useless in relation to Madoka Magica' but theres nothing wrong with using them as a tool of analysis.
Without genre fiction and genre characters you literally wouldn't have Madoka Magica' and I don't just mean that it's a magical girl show - But rather also how it built atop the likes of Utena, Lyrical Girl Nanoha and Uta-Kata.

In that sense arguably there is an architipal character that runs through all those shows - Of the deeply scared and morally ambiguous magical girl.

But ya Yandere is a bit of a misnomer in this case😅.
Feb 3, 2022 6:17 AM

Aug 2021
MocaFestival said:
I'm honestly just curious as to what people think about her, There's a lot of things floating around saying she's a bad person and things saying she's a good person. but I want to know what you guys think of her.
I haven’t seen the movies yet but from what I can tell from the series is that she’s a very good person. She goes through everything and anything to save her friend. You can make the argument that saving a friend by doing anything necessary even though other people could get hurt or die could be selfish and thus she could be deemed a „bad“ person. But I don’t think that’s the case, she’s someone you wish would be your friend so I think she’s a very good person!
Feb 3, 2022 11:25 AM
Apr 2020
axtrast said:
How can she be a bad person when she didn't do anything wrong? I can understand if you haven't watched all the episodes but the people saying she is bad after watching all of the episodes are just dumb.
(SPOILERS AHEAD)but she is. Everyone’s death but Madokas, homura shrugged it off. She was obsessed with Madoka to the point of a friend wanting to come back to wanting to protect her and finally (spoilers) in the wraith arc which is cannon (between anime 12 ep and rebellion) her and kyuubey agree that they both have one goal and that is to take possession of Madoka. Her intentions are controlling her care for when she became a devil. She rewrote the law of cycles and only cared about how she finally had Madoka in grasp. She is evil. People with intentions of controlling another with a aight for reprecussion is outright sadistic.
Feb 3, 2022 1:59 PM

Feb 2020
She never got the chance to be.
Feb 3, 2022 7:13 PM
Jul 2021
idk how ppl watch the movie and still think she's a good person. She was really selfish and she made Madoka's sacrifice meaningless. I kinda understand that maybe her mind was fucked after so many time travels and it made her think what she did was a good thing, but it was really not. Idc what ppl say, I will always find her selfish as fuck for what she did. Plus she became straight up obsessed with Madoka and it made her character even more weird and off putting
Feb 4, 2022 4:56 AM

Jul 2020
Piromysl said:
No.

How can some people use this simple term on Homura when her character is far more complex than this ? and are you forgeting that Kyubey was trying to control Goddess Madoka and thus he experimented on Homura just so he could the chance to capture Madoka ? Also it seems that everyone is forgeting that Madoka was suffering as a God. Kyubey is clearly the villain of this series. He doesn't give a shit about the universe. He's such a hypocrite and deserves no sympathy. Can't wait to see him getting bullied by Devil Homura in the next movie.
Feb 4, 2022 5:00 AM

Jul 2015
CrowGR said:
Piromysl said:
No.

How can some people use this simple term on Homura when her character is far more complex than this ? and are you forgeting that Kyubey was trying to control Goddess Madoka and thus he experimented on Homura just so he could the chance to capture Madoka ? Also it seems that everyone is forgeting that Madoka was suffering as a God. Kyubey is clearly the villain of this series. He doesn't give a shit about the universe. He's such a hypocrite and deserves no sympathy. Can't wait to see him getting bullied by Devil Homura in the next movie.

We are not talking about Kyubei here and two wrongs do not make it right. I'm not even trying to justify Kyubey's actions.
Homura's actions put entire universe in peril, and as a result even her precious Madoka. Pure and simple.

Feb 4, 2022 5:05 AM

Jul 2020
Piromysl said:
CrowGR said:

We are not talking about Kyubei here and two wrongs do not make it right. I'm not even trying to justify Kyubey's actions.
Homura's actions put entire universe in peril, and as a result even her precious Madoka. Pure and simple.

I disagree about that, I believe Homura did the right thing but we will see in the next movie.
Feb 4, 2022 5:07 AM

Jul 2015
CrowGR said:
Piromysl said:

I disagree about that, I believe Homura did the right thing but we will see in the next movie.

If rumours are true, in next movie Homura will be main antagonist, which makes sense based on how 3rd movie ended.
I'm so hyped.

Feb 4, 2022 5:09 AM

Jul 2020
Piromysl said:
CrowGR said:

If rumours are true, in next movie Homura will be main antagonist, which makes sense based on how 3rd movie ended.
I'm so hyped.

What rumours are you talking about?
Feb 4, 2022 5:36 AM

Apr 2020
Homura is not a good person, and she was never meant to be a good person. A person once put it as "a hero is someone who would sacrifice their loved ones for the world, and a villain would sacrifice the world for their loved ones". I'm not saying that the reasons for her becoming this way are wrong; in fact, I think that Homura is very well characterised, and her motives all fit within her character. However, having a dark past never excuses evil deeds, and will not in this case either. The full ramifications of her actions have not yet been fully explored, but by trapping the incubators we can assume that:

-Countless civilisations (including humanity) are now going to either stagnate or decline in progress. This can be assumed because Kyubey said once that without them, humanity would still be living in caves. Homura is threatening the universe just for the happiness of one person: Madoka.

-People who require magical assistance and would want to become magical girls normally, can no longer choose that path. The incubators are probably too busy fighting the wraiths to recruit more magical girls, and so no more girls will get the chance to have their wishes come true. This can also be seen as a good thing, as no more girls can be tricked. However, if we look at the case of Mami, whose wish saved her life, we can assume that many more cases like her will be unable to be saved, just so that Madoka can be happy.

Even after the split, Homura said to Madoka in the school corridor that she does not think that "stability and order are more important than desire". Hell, she even says that she may be an enemy of Madoka someday. I do believe that Homura is an evil person, but only because she is a flawed person as well
TheDeathstormerFeb 4, 2022 6:03 AM

"A single 'thank you' is worth more than a million sorries."
-𝐸𝓂𝒾𝓁𝒾𝒶
Feb 4, 2022 5:40 AM
May 2018
Even in the original series she seemed like a possessive, obsessive, selfish stalker bitch.
Feb 4, 2022 6:07 AM

Mar 2015
I do think characterizing the characters as either good/bad is kind of missing the point. The entire series, as far as I can tell, avoids falling into black and white categorizations and instead lies more in the realm of situational ethics. Homura herself displays asocial traits, which makes sense, given her removal from society in her earlier life. You see this in the language she uses when she tries to convince Madoka to run away, or how she suggests they both become witches and destroy everything. Yes, she places Madoka above everyone else, but she does still display empathy towards others. We can see as much from Kyouko's death as well as Mami's and Sayaka's in the earlier timelines.

In my opinion, none of the characters lies anywhere close to the extremities that I'd consider to be evil. People might argue over the morality of certain actions they take, but ultimately this is a story of people put in extraordinary circumstances, and many of their decisions can be sympathized with.
MelonMilkFeb 5, 2022 7:08 AM
Feb 5, 2022 6:31 AM

May 2021
Yes she was a good person. Not even a question bruhh
Feb 5, 2022 6:38 AM

Jul 2020
I haven't watched the Movie. In the series, she is definitely a good person.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Feb 5, 2022 8:57 AM

Apr 2021
Homura is objectively a good person. No I'm not going to elaborate on this.

Bye.
Feb 5, 2022 6:31 PM

Aug 2020
I always thought of her as a morally ambiguous character.

Feb 5, 2022 6:43 PM
Dec 2017
not entirely bad nor entirely good either.

Feb 7, 2022 8:09 PM
Jan 2022
I know the ending of the anime makes it seem like Homura is the best person in the world because she spent so many years trying to save Madoka. But in the movie we can clearly see the reason she was doing this was for herself and not for Madoka. Homura admits herself that she’s evil and selfish. She rewrote reality just so she could live in her own perfect world. Even in all the timelines she travelled through, she didn’t seem to be very disturbed when anyone other than Madoka died, and was willing to kill the others. So yes, I do think she’s a bad person.

But she’s still my favourite magical girl of them all, I think giving her a deluded personality was kind of refreshing, it didn’t have to have a happily ever after this time.
Feb 8, 2022 12:45 PM

Dec 2017
Good is relative. I wouldn't say she was good or bad personally, just that she cared about Madoka above all else and is extremely gay

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Feb 8, 2022 1:29 PM

Feb 2020
Careful, I'm talking about the series AND Rebellion so don't read me if you haven't seen everything.

I think she is just like the other characters : a good but flawed person, who genuily tries to do the right thing but does it wrong, doesn't manage to put herself in others' shoes, and is so emotionally and mentally damaged that she ends up doing something that can be comsidered "evil" without her actually being evil.

I'll expend a bit on all that. As I said I do believe that she is a good person at heart. Not only because of her love for Madoka but also because of the way she behaves around the other characters. She deeply cares about Kyoko, that's something she shows in almost every timeline. She also cares a lot about Mami, in Rebellion it even turns out that the reason she never tells her the truth isn't because she doesn't trust her after Timeline III's incident, but because she is afraid of hurting her.
At the end of the series, she is also shown to be very gentle and sweet around Tatsuya. The only person she seems to genuily despise is Sayaka and that's for understanble reasons : Sayaka has always been antagonizing her even back when Homura was shy and innocent, and furthermore, from Homura's point of view Sayaka is being toxic to Madoka, and she's not wrong for feeling that way, Sayaka herself acknowledged she hurt her (don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who put all the blame on Sayaka, I love her).
So overall Homura is a kind person who simply got too attached to the first person to ever show kindness to her. She's not some psycho, she truly cares about Madoka in a pure form of love and she also cares a lot about the other characters. She puts a tough front in order to achieve her goal but she actually hates herself for hurting them (I'm not making things up, she practically states it herself in Rebellion). She's trying to protect them and to do so, she ended up having no choice but to be cold and harsh.

That said, Homura having a good heart doesn't at all mean she did nothing wrong. She is human, and humans make mistakes. And she made so many mistakes because she is so human.
Let's not forget that she is psychologically fragile from the beginning : she was even shown having suicidal thoughts in Timeline 0. What I mean is that she's not a mentally healthy person, she is unstable, insecure, and those aspects of her psychology explain why her attachment towards Madoka so quickly turns into obsession. That's a typicial behaviour from fragile and isolated people like her, to become dangerously attached to the first person to offer them some form of comfort. And yes, it is dangerous. Homura's obsession towards Madoka leads her to practically control her, which is very unhealthy. Furthermore, she is incapable of moving on. Where """normal""" people would grieve and then try to move on from a friend's passing, Homura completely rejected this reality, and has never, ever been able to go pass that, it even worsened with each timeline and it makes perfect sense : saving Madoka has become her one and only reason to live.
But what it means is that she is completely attaching herself to her, instead of letting her lead the life she wants to have with the consequences that have to come (as tragic as they are), she entirely controls not just her but also those around her (while she isn't wrong for thinking Sayaka is hurting Madoka, trying to separate them isn't okay at all). Madoka is fine with sacrificing herself for people she loves, but Homura cannot accept it which is actually selfish. It's not an healthy way to love her. And this is what led to what happened in Rebellion.
Homura is very fragile, drowning in self-hatred, seeing Madoka as an angel and her only source of light... And it comes to a point where she cherishes a version of Madoka she created rather than the real one. She ends up putting those thoughts on Madoka, completely misinterpreting her words, making her view the situation completely differently from all it really is... And this mixture of denial, control, fragility, and everything else, are what led to her ripping Madoka from Heaven. Dhe came to a point where she understood she was wrong, but simply is too broken to care anymore. All she wants is for Madoka to be safe, even if that means betraying Madoka herself by going against her own ideals and desires.

(And I'm just talking about the mistakes regarding Madoka because these are the biggest one, but she made many more throughout the show.)

So to summarize, Homura is kind-hearted, she did a lot of things right and she is shown to be truly gentle and soft on the inside, simply having no choice but to be harsh in order to do what she thinks is right.
But she is also very mentally fragile, with a lot of mental issues, and this mixed with basic human flaws made for someone unstable who does many things wrong while being convinced she is in the right, until she becomes completely broken.

Homura is a good person, but a very, very complex one.
May 7, 2022 2:08 PM
Dec 2018
Homura is an imperfect girl with a very clear goal, and that's to save Madoka from suffering. She'll do anything in her power to achieve her goals, as long as she's sane, and I think she's the sanest and most mature girl of all the 5. She's forgiving too, and has no hard feelings towards Sayaka or Mami, who have been a bitch to her. Being bad or good is not so black & white. Stealing is bad, saying bad words is bad, and so many things that are considered bad. But does it even matter if you weigh it against the copious amount of good work you have done for the longevity of the universe? To me, even Kyubey isn't bad. He's doing it for the greater good, and in exchange giving you whatever you can wish for. He doesn't hold any ill will towards humanity or magical girls. Good and bad depends either on you emotions or the emotions of the society. Sometimes these emotions align, sometimes not. In the end it's upto you to decide what matters to you more; your emotions or the emotions of everyone else in the world. Homura chose her emotions over the world, while Madoka chose the world. They are the polar opposite of each other.

Maybe the right question would be, 'Is Homura selfish, and is being selfish bad'?
May 7, 2022 4:01 PM
Mar 2022
I do think she was a good person, though she was a little possessive with everything. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing in this context!
May 7, 2022 4:09 PM

Aug 2018
she's bad.

She's willing to do some pretty awful things to get what she wants, even if her goals are not necessarily evil. Rebellion movie proves she'll even go as far to enslave Madoka in order to "save" her.
May 7, 2022 4:30 PM

Jan 2009
i already completely forgot the story of this franchise lol

but i remember Homura becoming evil and will fight Madoka in the end so ye she is evil now and thats what matters more
May 9, 2022 4:26 AM

Oct 2019
anyone who answered yes to this has missed the entire point of her character
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 9, 2022 4:28 AM

Oct 2019
axtrast said:

She has sacrificed all else for a selfish desire

which contrast's madoka self sacrifice for the sake of all else.

if you don't think she's a bad person you either haven't seen rebellion or missed the point of her character
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 9, 2022 5:12 AM
Oct 2021
Apolygon2 said:
axtrast said:

She has sacrificed all else for a selfish desire

which contrast's madoka self sacrifice for the sake of all else.

if you don't think she's a bad person you either haven't seen rebellion or missed the point of her character

I wrote the upper lines when I hadn't watched rebellion.Now that I have watched it, my viewpoint have changed.
May 12, 2022 10:19 AM

Jan 2021
What a useless thread.
Roxy

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.