Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2021 9:50 AM

Jan 2021
Hi, i was planning to start with Fate/Zero but then I began to hear mixed answers on what to watch first. Can someone please tell me a clear watch order for the fate series. You may include the movies as well. I won't be reading the visual novels
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 11, 2021 9:51 AM

Jan 2017
If you already started watching the 1st Episode of Fate/Zero , go on and finish it.
If not :

"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 11, 2021 10:21 AM
Apr 2021
Fate zero ----> fate/staynight unlimited blade works ----> fate heavens feel movies only for main timeline
Oct 11, 2021 10:27 AM
Jul 2020
Here’s the official fate subreddit’s order: https://www.reddit.com/r/fatestaynight/comments/df8rvo/rfatestaynights_official_viewing_order_guide_v2/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

UBW -> Heavens feel -> Zero (you can watch deen’s 2006 version but it sucks)
Oct 11, 2021 10:58 AM
Jun 2021
Why all fate forums are only about watch order lol...I know it's hard to get into but bruh this is some high level shit ....must watch for everyone....don't drop it....some guys already gave you a watch order so yeah watch it enjoy
Oct 11, 2021 11:00 AM

Dec 2020
There are 2 watch orders for fate series
1) 1-Zero 2-Ubw 3-heaven’s feel
2) 1Ubw 2-Heavens feel 3-Zero

1st watch order is harder to understand since zero does not try to explain fate universe. But it’s easier to get attached to characters and you don’t feel like a 3rd party when characters talk about past.

2nd watch order has massive spoilers for zero, but it’s so much easier to get into because shirou(mc) also doesn’t know anything about fate universe and you learn everything with him.

I highly recommend 1st one but you can choose whatever you want.
I am Mad Scientist. Its soo cool. Sunovabitch
Oct 11, 2021 11:03 AM
Oct 2020
If you want the best beginner experience, watch Fate/Zero, then Unlimited Blade Works by ufotable. After that, you can watch anything in the franchise and understand 99% of what’s happening.

Edit: if you want to finish the original timeline(?) stuff finish it up with Heavens feel.
Oct 11, 2021 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
I watched fate zero first so im not sure
Oct 11, 2021 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
I watched fate zero first so im not sure
Oct 11, 2021 11:54 AM

Jan 2021
Raihan_ said:
Hi, i was planning to start with Fate/Zero but then I began to hear mixed answers on what to watch first. Can someone please tell me a clear watch order for the fate series. You may include the movies as well. I won't be reading the visual novels

Alexioos95 said:
If you already started watching the 1st Episode of Fate/Zero , go on and finish it.
If not :

go with this guy order, this is the best order

Oct 11, 2021 1:26 PM
Dec 2020
Fate zero——- fate stay night unlimited blade works————- fate stay night heavens feel
Oct 11, 2021 3:18 PM

Jul 2015
Airing order is usually the proper order.

Oct 12, 2021 12:30 AM
Feb 2021
Watch it in Ufotable's release order because that's how they intended it if skipping the Deen version. ZERO -> UBW -> HEAVENS FEEL
Oct 12, 2021 4:45 AM

Feb 2019
Raihan_ said:

Read the Fate/stay night Visual Novel, then read Fate/hollow ataraxia. Then:

Well I for one already loved Lain.
Oct 12, 2021 7:24 PM

Jun 2021
Alexioos95 said:
If not :

THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!! REALLYY <3
venecoland.
Oct 14, 2021 3:27 PM
Aug 2019
Fate/Zero then Fate Stay Night:UBW
Oct 19, 2021 10:35 PM

Jun 2020
If you haven't already started it, this is what I would suggest -

1- If you just want to watch a great story and don't really care about the world and stuff , watch Zero. Tho keep in mind, it will be very confusing at first.

2- What I would advise is you watch at least one of S/N anime before - either 2006 one or UBW. Everyone will tell you 2006 anime is shit, skip it. I'd suggest you decide for yourself. If you don't like it, drop it. I personally liked it (even more than UBW). Or you could just watch UBW, then Zero.

Note - DON'T START WITH THE HEAVEN'S FEEL MOVIES
Dec 18, 2021 4:45 AM
Nov 2020
I’ve always wanted to get into the fate series (considering the fan base seems to love it) but never knew the correct order since I always saw people saying about every order that it’ll spoil something. If there is no perfect order, I’ll settle for the minimum spoilers too.
Dec 18, 2021 5:00 AM
Shirayuki-Fan
Jul 2020
Fate zero
Fate Stay night ubw
3 Fate Heaven's Feel Movies
Dec 18, 2021 5:03 AM
Jul 2018
xDemi said:
Fate zero
Fate Stay night ubw
If you ask me just watch Fate/zero and nothing else.
Dec 18, 2021 5:04 AM

Dec 2021
xDemi said:
Fate zero
Fate Stay night ubw

So is it ok to start with Zero? Because a lot of people told me that absolutely not you have to start with Stay Night. Also, difference between Stay Night and Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works? Is the first one just skippable?
Dec 18, 2021 5:05 AM

Feb 2021
Just watch rhe Fate/Zero. Except this everyhting in this series is waste of time
Dec 18, 2021 5:06 AM

Jan 2020
Oznerol7 said:
xDemi said:
Fate zero
Fate Stay night ubw

So is it ok to start with Zero? Because a lot of people told me that absolutely not you have to start with Stay Night. Also, difference between Stay Night and Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works? Is the first one just skippable?
Stay Night UBW is an alternate route, so it's an alternate story.
Dec 18, 2021 5:08 AM
Feb 2020
Oznerol7 said:
xDemi said:
Fate zero
Fate Stay night ubw

zero is a prequel and sets the stage for all other series so it should be the first one you watch. Stay night has 3 story routes with same base story but different developments.you can skip the original or watch it later on since it's not that good but you should watch UBW and Heaven's feel after zero
Dec 18, 2021 5:12 AM
Nov 2020
Oznerol7 said:
xDemi said:
Fate zero
Fate Stay night ubw

PLEASE READ THIS
Ok so fate is a visual novel with three routes (stay night, unlimited blade works, heavens feel) or the saber, rin and sakura routes because of each arc having a different love interest. All three have anime adaptations. Fate zero is a prequel to both

The reason this is so confusing is because of the argument that zero spoils all three routes in a different way. (It spoils sabers identity and some of the mcs powers, and it spoils a sibling relationship)

Id also like to note that people think that the stay night route is bad just because of its old art style, don’t listen to them

Note 2: when watching unlimited blade works watch the series not the movie

Note 3: heavens feel is a trilogy of movies with incredible animation

Overall: if you don’t care about spoilers, then I recommend zero, stay night, ubw, heavens feel.
If you want the full adventure, I recommend watching stay night, ubw, heavens feel, zero

(Think of this as watching Star Wars in chronological or non spoiler order.)
Dec 18, 2021 5:12 AM

Dec 2021
Paperyduke6 said:
Oznerol7 said:

zero is a prequel and sets the stage for all other series so it should be the first one you watch. Stay night has 3 story routes with same base story but different developments.you can skip the original or watch it later on since it's not that good but you should watch UBW and Heaven's feel after zero

Ok thanks, usually i watch prequels after in order of production, but it seems it was produced after Stay Night but before Unlimited Blade Works so i guess i'll watch it first
Dec 18, 2021 5:13 AM
Oct 2020
read the visual novel
Dec 18, 2021 5:15 AM
Nov 2019
Shirqkuno said:
I’ve always wanted to get into the fate series (considering the fan base seems to love it) but never knew the correct order since I always saw people saying about every order that it’ll spoil something. If there is no perfect order, I’ll settle for the minimum spoilers too.

The Anime-only order:
1. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works [2014] [Season 1 > Season 2 > Sunny Day (OVA)].

2. Fate/stay night: Heavens Feel [Film 1, Film 2, Film 3]

3. Fate/Zero [ Season 1 & 2] (This series is the prequel to Fate/Stay Night. It takes place 10 years before the events of Fate/Stay Night, but it spoils plot events in Fate/Stay Night, so make sure to watch Fate/Zero AFTER finishing all of Fate/Stay Night unless you don't mind spoilers)

4. Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace NoteZ (The series takes place 10 years after the events of Fate/Zero and 2 months before the events of Fate/Stay Night)

Dec 18, 2021 5:15 AM

Dec 2021
Jontayy said:
Oznerol7 said:

PLEASE READ THIS
Ok so fate is a visual novel with three routes (stay night, unlimited blade works, heavens feel) or the saber, rin and sakura routes because of each arc having a different love interest. All three have anime adaptations. Fate zero is a prequel to both

The reason this is so confusing is because of the argument that zero spoils all three routes in a different way. (It spoils sabers identity and some of the mcs powers, and it spoils a sibling relationship)

Id also like to note that people think that the stay night route is bad just because of its old art style, don’t listen to them

Overall: if you don’t care about spoilers, then I recommend zero, stay night, ubw, heavens feel.
If you want the full adventure, I recommend watching stay night, ubw, heavens feel, zero

Ok noted, as it's obvious from my profile i really really REALLY don't care (like at all) about older art-styles (also, 2004 is old? Wat). Ok whatever i'll just watch them in production order like i always do since it seems there isn't a 100% preferable way to go
Dec 18, 2021 5:19 AM

Dec 2020
Fate zero first
Fate stay night 2006
Ubw
Heavens feel do take place at the same time with different story, watch whatever you want
I am Mad Scientist. Its soo cool. Sunovabitch
Dec 18, 2021 5:20 AM

Jan 2017
Shirqkuno said:

The Fate Series contains Zero , which is a Prequel to the Stay Night stories.
So the chronological order is Zero > 2006 > Unlimited Blade Works > Heaven's Feel.
But the correct/intented order is 2006 > Unlimited Blade Works > Heaven's Feel > Zero. (Since Zero spoils like 80% of the twist of the Stay Night stories , including 60% of them right into Episode 1 , it's also this order that have the less spoilers)

If you want the order for everything related to Fate :

Oznerol7 said:
Ok thanks, usually i watch prequels after in order of production, but it seems it was produced after Stay Night but before Unlimited Blade Works so i guess i'll watch it first

It was produced first only for the Anime adaptations.
The Light Novel Fate/Zero came 2 whole years after the Visual Novel Fate/Stay Night , which already included the 3 Routes.
You can watch Zero first , but you'll spoil 80% of the twists of Stay Night.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Dec 18, 2021 5:21 AM
Nov 2020
Oznerol7 said:
Jontayy said:
PLEASE READ THIS

Ok noted, as it's obvious from my profile i really really REALLY don't care (like at all) about older art-styles (also, 2004 is old? Wat). Ok whatever i'll just watch them in production order like i always do since it seems there isn't a 100% preferable way to go
yeah I don’t understand the dOnt WaTcH stAy NiGht bEcaUse ItS OUtdAteD thing. It’s stupid lmao
Dec 18, 2021 5:26 AM
Oct 2020
Oznerol7 said:
xDemi said:
Fate zero
Fate Stay night ubw

All the 3 of the stay night are different routes that can happen after fate zero, so you can watch all of them or just some of them, you still get a complete story
Dec 18, 2021 5:27 AM
May 2021
EJ88 said:
xDemi said:
Fate zero
Fate Stay night ubw
are you trolling? Fate zero ends in an anticlimactic way and it sets the story for ubw. you want people to stop with it instead of continuing? Fate zero is prequel so you have to watch the main story too. I get that Fate zero is the best Fate but that doesn't make ubw a bad anime and not worth watching.
Dec 18, 2021 5:34 AM
Jul 2018
Lone_wolf2021 said:
EJ88 said:
are you trolling? Fate zero ends in an anticlimactic way and it sets the story for ubw. you want people to stop with it instead of continuing? Fate zero is prequel so you have to watch the main story too. I get that Fate zero is the best Fate but that doesn't make ubw a bad anime.
I watched all of ubw and the three heavens feel movies. They were good, I felt more satisfied at the end of Zero than the ubw or heavens feel don't get me wrong heavens feel I enjoyed, but not ubw. Anti-climatic endings is what I'm fine with if done right, some series I have seen have many anti-climatic ends.
Dec 18, 2021 5:35 AM
May 2021
Fate/zero
Fate stay night
Fate stay night unlimited balde works
Fate stay night heaven's feel movies (1,2,3)
Dec 18, 2021 5:37 AM

Nov 2020
The order you should watch as this is how VN was released:

Fate UBW 1 and 2
Fte Heavens' Feel 1, 2 and 3
and then Fate Zero

This is chronological order but I won' recommend this as this spoils about later installments
Fate 0
UBW
Heavens Feel

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

═════════════════════════════
Dec 18, 2021 5:44 AM

Aug 2020
My reccomended order is
Ubw
Zero
Heaven's Feel

Now why I won't reccomend the chronological order is that Zero aims at an audience that is familiar with the story and cast of Stay Night, so if you just straight up watch Zero first you're most likely going to get confused, and even if you do get into it you won't get the full experience. You will find the ending anti climactic as well.
What happens after you finish Zero, is that you're already spoiled of all the plot twists of Fate and you'd be disappointed with all the other Fates.
Dec 18, 2021 5:47 AM
May 2021
EJ88 said:
Lone_wolf2021 said:
are you trolling? Fate zero ends in an anticlimactic way and it sets the story for ubw. you want people to stop with it instead of continuing? Fate zero is prequel so you have to watch the main story too. I get that Fate zero is the best Fate but that doesn't make ubw a bad anime.
I watched all of ubw and the three heavens feel movies. They were good, I felt more satisfied at the end of Zero than the ubw or heavens feel don't get me wrong heavens feel I enjoyed, but not ubw. Anti-climatic endings is what I'm fine with if done right, some series I have seen have many anti-climatic ends.
I'm not complaining about anti climactic endings. The problem is that zero leaves some loose ends for ubw like
. And yeah I agree with the ending of ubw being unsatisfying.
Dec 18, 2021 5:58 AM
Jul 2018
Lone_wolf2021 said:
EJ88 said:
I'm not complaining about anti climactic endings. The problem is that zero leaves some loose ends for ubw like
. And yeah I agree with the ending of ubw being unsatisfying.
I see your point and I agree with it.
Dec 18, 2021 6:05 AM

Aug 2021
Shirqkuno said:

Well chronologically speaking, the franchise kicks off with zero and three stay night routes : Fate, UBW and Heaven's Feel happen at the same time. And there's another anime : Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files which takes place after zero and before 5th HGW. So that's the chronological order.
Now then I've talked about chronology, lemme talk about how you should watch it. In my opinion the franchise should be seen like starting with Dean's version, Fate/Stay Night, then Ufotable's adaptation which are Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel trilogy. Then you can move to other works like Fate/Extra, Fate/Apocrypha or Fate/Grand Order 🙂🙂
Dec 18, 2021 6:09 AM
Nov 2021
Watch Carnival Phantasm first.
Dec 18, 2021 6:49 AM
Mar 2020
Chronologically, Faye Zero comes first. However keep in mind that both Fate Zero and Fate stay Night, spoil each other. No matter where you start, you’ll get spoiled

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴, 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯’𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 18, 2021 6:53 AM

Aug 2017
Oznerol7 said:
Paperyduke6 said:

While the anime was "produced after stay night but before UBW" the original source material wasn't.

As already mentioned Fate/stay night is the first entry in the series (without counting Kara no Kyoukai and Tsukihime which most of Fate doesn't reference at all, but is technically part of the same multiverse so some aspects of the world first brought up in those are sometimes used in Fate stories), and was originally a visual novel.
Fate Zero was then a prequel novel series written years after the release of Fate/Stay night by a completely different author, but heavily based on stuff revealed in the original Fate/stay night game, and all three of its routes.
This is why people say it spoils things. Because it was written for people who already know the original Fate/Stay Night, and all three of it's routes.

So release order is technically
"Fate stay night, UBW and Heavens feel at the same time, Fate/Zero after that, basically everything else after that"

Now to the main problem. Those three routes in the original Fate/Stay night could originally only be played in order, meaning later routes already expected you to know everything that happened in earlier routes, because you had to have played them, meaning if you played them out of order, you would be spoiled on some parts.

Now you might ask "so where's the problem. Just watch the fate stay night anime, then the UBW anime, then the Heavensfeels films, then Zero". Well yeah, if there were a Fate/stay night anime, then that would be how you should watch it to watch it in chronological order. However, the "Fate/Stay night" anime doesn't actually adapt the "Fate/stay night" route of the original game, but instead tries to adapt all three routes at once, while still mainly following the original Fate stay night story line. This of course will lead to the anime spoiling reveals from the later two paths, which most people consider to be a lot better. This is why fate fans don't recommend people starting with the first anime. It also cut out the Prologue to the story, which a lot of people like because it foreshadows one of the biggest reveals and main conflicts of the whole series.

So now to the anime release order. After all of the fan backlash the original Fate anime adaptation received, but the fate series in it self still making boatloads of money, of course Type Moon (the studio behind the original Fate/Stay night game) wanted to try making a new anime, but seeing how big the original flopped, they tried it with a different studio, (one they already had a pretty good relationship with working on adaptations of Kara no kyoukai, another story in the greater Nasuverse) Studio Ufotable, and a more minor part of the series, the Prequel, fate Zero. After that was a huge success they let Ufotable adapt the second and third rputes of Fate stay night, and fans also loved those, but they never went back to readapt the first route.

But since Ufotable adapted Zero first, and the stay night routes after, then now also snuck in small references to their own version of Fate Zero in UBW and HF which aren't necessary for the enjoyment of the series but still something you will miss out on if you haven't watched Zero before watching those.
The UBW now does include the prequel, but the HF movies expect skip over the whole beginning of the story, because it is 99% the same as the original Stay Night route, which already got an adaptation, and they didn't want it to become another 7 year 8 film series like Kara no Kyoukai did.

Additionally to that a re-release of the original VN got another really short ending to all of the routes at once called "realta nua", which also got an extremely short anime adaptation. That adaptation however is not available to view anywhere except for the Japan exclusive "Type Moon Museum", so yeah no chance you'll ever be able to see that.

The original Visual Novel has since then also gotten a sequel Visual Novel, which hasn't received an adaptation until now. It is sometimes referenced in other Fate spin offs though, some of which have received anime adaptations.

So now fans are at this weird spot where they don't really have a good starting point to recommend, so you get a million different opinions on which you should watch/read/whatever first, because most people don't want to recommend you read a 60h+ Visual Novel you can't legally buy outside of Japan that doesn't even have an official English translation.

My personal recommendation is just start at any of the three, stay night, UBW or Zero. If you start with the stay night anime and don't like that, maybe drop it and give the UBW anime a shot, if you don't like that, pause it and give Zero a shot, and resume watching after you finished zero. If you also didn't like zero, then I don't think main line Fate is for you, and you probably won't find any enjoyment in it, so just watch something else.
SinomDec 18, 2021 7:09 AM
Dec 18, 2021 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
Oznerol7 said:
xDemi said:
Fate zero
Fate Stay night ubw

Yes it’s fine. It’s the way I watched it. Fate zero is a prequel. So you watch zero then unlimited blade works. After ubw the timeline goes back to the beginning of ubw and the story starts again in the heavens feel movies but different stories play out. Fate as a whole has 3 routes: ubw, heavens feel, and then the other missing is the fate route. But that anime adaptation is really bad and everyone says to just not even watch it. If you did it would again be the start of the timeline but different events happen. Zero is sort of a prequel to all of them, no chancing routes or timeline for that
Dec 18, 2021 7:01 AM

Dec 2021
Sinom said:
Oznerol7 said:

While the anime was "produced after stay night but before UBW" the original source material wasn't.

As already mentioned Fate/stay night is the first entry in the series (without counting Kara no Kyoukai and Tsukihime which most of Fate doesn't reference at all, but is technically part of the same multiverse so some aspects of the world first brought up in those are sometimes used in Fate stories), and was originally a visual novel.
Fate Zero was then a prequel novel series written years after the release of Fate/Stay night by a completely different author, but heavily based on stuff revealed in the original Fate/stay night game, and all three of its routes.
This is why people say it spoils things. Because it was written for people who already know the original Fate/Stay Night, and all three of it's routes.

"Fate stay night, UBW and Heavens feel at the same time, Fate/Zero after that, basically everything else after that"

Now to the main problem. Those three routes in the original Fate/Stay night could originally only be played in order, meaning later routes already expected you to know everything that happened in earlier routes, because you had to have played them, meaning if you played them out of order, you would be spoiled on some parts.

Now you might ask "so where's the problem. Just watch the fate stay night anime, then the UBW anime, then the Heavensfeels films, then Zero". Well yeah, if there were a Fate/stay night anime, then that would be how you should watch it to watch it in chronological order. However, the "Fate/Stay night" anime doesn't actually adapt the "Fate/stay night" route of the original game, but instead tries to adapt all three routes at once, while still mainly following the original Fate stay night story line. This of course will lead to the anime spoiling reveals from the later two paths, which most people consider to be a lot better. This is why fate fans don't recommend people starting with the first anime.

So now to the anime release order. After all of the fan backlash the original Fate anime adaptation received, but the fate series in it self still making boatloads of money, of course Type Moon (the studio behind the original Fate/Stay night game) wanted to try making a new anime, but seeing how big the original flopped, they tried it with a different studio, (one they already had a pretty good relationship with working on adaptations of Kara no kyoukai, another story in the greater Nasuverse) Studio Ufotable, and a more minor part of the series, the Prequel, fate Zero. After that was a huge success they let Ufotable adapt the second and third rputes of Fate stay night, and fans also loved those, but they never went back to readapt the first route. But since Ufotable adapted Zero first, and the stay night routes after, then now also snuck in small references to their own version of Fate Zero in UBW and HF which aren't necessary for the enjoyment of the series but still something you will miss out on if you haven't watched Zero before watching those. Additionally to the a rereleasw of the original VN got another really short ending to all of the routes at once called "realta nua", which also got an extremely short anime adaptation. That adaptation however is not available to view anywhere except for the Japan exclusive "Type Moon Museum", so yeah no chance you'll ever be able to see that.

The original Visual Novel has since then also gotten a sequel Visual Novel, which hasn't received an adaptation until now. It is sometimes referenced in other Fate spin offs though, some of which have received anime adaptations.

So now fans are at this weird spot where they don't really have a good starting point to recommend, so you get a million different opinions on which you should watch/read/whatever first, because most people don't want to recommend you read a 60h+ Visual Novel you can't legally buy outside of Japan that doesn't even have an official English translation.

My personal recommendation is just start at any of the three, stay night, UBW or Zero. If you start with the stay night anime and don't like that, maybe drop it and give the UBW anime a shot, if you don't like that, pause it and give Zero a shot, and resume watching after you finished zero. If you also didn't like zero, then I don't think main line Fate is for you, and you probably won't find any enjoyment in it, so just watch something else.

Oy vey silly my thinking i was starting to grasp this franchise kek yeah i think i'll just go with stay night and see. Another question: The other type-moon series like Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai are in any way connected? Would be a good idea to check them out too first?
Dec 18, 2021 7:09 AM

Aug 2020
Oznerol7 said:

Oy vey silly my thinking i was starting to grasp this franchise kek yeah i think i'll just go with stay night and see. Another question: The other type-moon series like Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai are in any way connected? Would be a good idea to check them out too first?

Kara no Kyoukai movies are great and watching them will clear up a lot of things.
Tsukihime adaptation is bad and, if you don't want to read the long VN then just read the the manga.
Dec 18, 2021 7:15 AM

Jan 2021
Just watch Fate/Zero and call it a day.
Rest is crap in comparison to it.
But if you still wanna continue, than do note that Fate/Zero is a prequel that fans prefer to watch after F/SN.
Even tho I watched it first, there was no problem.

Dec 18, 2021 7:24 AM

Aug 2017
Oznerol7 said:
Sinom said:

Now you might ask "so where's the problem. Just watch the fate stay night anime, then the UBW anime, then the Heavensfeels films, then Zero". Well yeah, if there were a Fate/stay night anime, then that would be how you should watch it to watch it in chronological order. However, the "Fate/Stay night" anime doesn't actually adapt the "Fate/stay night" route of the original game, but instead tries to adapt all three routes at once, while still mainly following the original Fate stay night story line. This of course will lead to the anime spoiling reveals from the later two paths, which most people consider to be a lot better. This is why fate fans don't recommend people starting with the first anime.

So now to the anime release order. After all of the fan backlash the original Fate anime adaptation received, but the fate series in it self still making boatloads of money, of course Type Moon (the studio behind the original Fate/Stay night game) wanted to try making a new anime, but seeing how big the original flopped, they tried it with a different studio, (one they already had a pretty good relationship with working on adaptations of Kara no kyoukai, another story in the greater Nasuverse) Studio Ufotable, and a more minor part of the series, the Prequel, fate Zero. After that was a huge success they let Ufotable adapt the second and third rputes of Fate stay night, and fans also loved those, but they never went back to readapt the first route. But since Ufotable adapted Zero first, and the stay night routes after, then now also snuck in small references to their own version of Fate Zero in UBW and HF which aren't necessary for the enjoyment of the series but still something you will miss out on if you haven't watched Zero before watching those. Additionally to the a rereleasw of the original VN got another really short ending to all of the routes at once called "realta nua", which also got an extremely short anime adaptation. That adaptation however is not available to view anywhere except for the Japan exclusive "Type Moon Museum", so yeah no chance you'll ever be able to see that.

As I said, they are technically loosely connected and some aspects first introduced in them do get brought up in Zero meaning they do kind of come out of nowhere when watching it without knowing anything about the earlier Nasu VNs. But you really don't need to watch them, since they are only really small things. Especially since the Tsukihime anime adaptation was received so poorly, that most fans pretend it doesn't even exist, and the Kara no Kyoukai anime is 8 movies long, so kind of a pretty large commitment just to understand a really short reference in a prequel (and some of the spinoffs). So don't watch them just to watch Fate.

The biggest problem with the spin-offs (which zero technically counts as) is that most of them aren't written by the original author, but instead by popular authors who also happen to be fans of the stuff Type Moon released, and Nasu made. This means they like to put in as much stuff as they can from all across his works, just like Fanfiction writers love scouring wikis for hours to find some obscure thing they can bring up. Two of the most popular authors that wrote or are currently writing Fate Spinoffs are Gen Urobuchi (Fate Zero, Madoka Magika, Psychopass etc.) and Ryōgo Narita (Fate/strange fake, Baccano!, DRRR, etc.) and there are many MANY more.
Dec 18, 2021 7:35 AM

Mar 2020
Shirqkuno said:
never watch in chronological order, always go by release order. So that would be the Fate/Stay Night VN, Fate/Hollow Ataraxia then Fate/Zero

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm not interested in the fate series at all but

mydaddy - Yesterday

11 by filthyfrank8142 »»
2 hours ago

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Fate/zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 1, 2011

698 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.