Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2021 1:12 PM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Old ladies like them smart kids, for some reason, hahaha.
Just 2 cunning guides tried to dry them money from uneducated ppl, very relatable irl.
This scene is funny af, I'm living for it. Hahaha.

Glad they got their ass handed to them deservedly, btw so happy for the guy in the end, job well done, Ondo-sama

Another short filler eps that make you questioned : why would they even bother to make these in the first place?.
Hmmm I'm guessing they tried to prepare the 1000th eps for the next actual arc. Which I honestly forgot what. I'll re-read that part in a bit.
But hey, the eps is full of the beloved Detective Boys' action, I couldn't complaint because of that. (tho what the hell, where is my waifu Haibara at? the eps would be so much better with her)

Feb 13, 2021 3:41 PM

May 2018
This was weirder even than that one AO where all the parents were missing from the village and the kids were cosplaying as various bugs.
alshuMar 15, 2021 2:26 AM
Feb 13, 2021 4:11 PM

Nov 2016
Lol, I actually liked this episode.

Better than another murder case where someone was killed by his neighbor because he blocked his car.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 13, 2021 4:50 PM

Jan 2008
They went really over the top with this one in weird factor. It was so bizarre, that I thought the married couple were putting on an act to give the detective boys a "case" to solve.

Nice that Ondo got a promotion as head honcho. He reminds me of Lurch from The Addams Family.
Feb 14, 2021 3:47 PM

Oct 2015
You know, there is one thing I am quite certain about this show: working for it must be dreadful. I love having my weekly Conan mystery as much as the next guy, but still I have to acknowledge that writing weekly detective cases is no easy feat. The schedule is so inhumanly tight, it leaves me genuinely speechless to see that the whole production of the Conan anime has not crumbled yet. Most filler episodes are terrible pieces of detective fiction for a reason - they merely exist to fill the time slot. Quality is rarely the concern for production committees.

Thus, it is no surprise that - from time to time - I would sit through an entire episode making fun of how played out the Conan formula is. Again, the writers must be at the end of their tethers, failing to find interesting narratives to tell. Plus, considering how long the show is - and how it is very likely that we are never going to see the end of it, I would not say that silly premises should be out of the question. It is an easy 'way-out' for writers that are lacking in original plots sure, but I suppose the idea has some merits. Written decently, it can be entertaining. And there was that one parody of the 'Red-Headed League' that was decent fun back in the days when the Conan anime had hit the 200-episode mark.

The problem does not lie with the premise in my opinion. No, the major flaw of this episode is that it is bad - like really really bad. 'Cringe bad' even. This has to be one of the worst episodes from this show - if not the worst one so far. Quite the achievement considering how awful anime originals can be at times. Remember the taxi case from last year? That was not great, was it? Somehow, this one is even more embarrassing. Watching through the whole thing, I was left puzzled: like, what is the tone here? A 'so-cringe-it-kind-of-becomes-funny-by-the-end' type of comedy? They sure did not pull that one off.

The only good thing about this filler case is that the next one can only be better. One can only hope that the 'frying pan' plot will be decent - I'm not holding my breath though: even the idea on paper does not seem terribly exciting.
Feb 15, 2021 6:27 AM

Sep 2015
What a bizarre episode! At least it was funny. Where are those kids parents?!
On another note, it seems we are getting a reboot of the Moonlight Sonata Murder case as episode 1000. Not sure how I feel about that. I mean, it is one of my favourite Conan episodes, but still, I preferred to have something new for that milsetone.
Feb 15, 2021 8:22 AM

Jul 2016
BertKnot said:

And there was that one parody of the 'Red-Headed League' that was decent fun back in the days when the Conan anime had hit the 200-episode mark.

I finished that story awhile ago, and want to see it referenced in DC, but can't remember the DC episode, what is the episode number and title?
Feb 15, 2021 7:50 PM

Jun 2017
When it is written by Urasawa Yoshio......I expect no less than this.......

I am just happy that we are one week closer to March for the re-make episodes.
Feb 16, 2021 2:16 PM

Oct 2015
RuneImperialist said:
BertKnot said:

And there was that one parody of the 'Red-Headed League' that was decent fun back in the days when the Conan anime had hit the 200-episode mark.

I finished that story awhile ago, and want to see it referenced in DC, but can't remember the DC episode, what is the episode number and title?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the title of the episode - but if I remember correctly it was something along the lines of episode 220-ish. It was a one-part anime original about a guy trying to work in a restaurant for a number of shady reasons. I am not going to spoil the twist (which is almost the same as in Doyle's short story anyway), but that was a fun one: case was weak as hell, but writing a good and especially proper detective story was clearly not the intention. No, the writer's goal was to ridicule Conan's overanalytical process of deduction, and I thought he did that in a clever way.
Feb 17, 2021 12:39 AM

Apr 2013
what an episode xD
Feb 17, 2021 4:26 PM
Jul 2013
xxmsxx said:

I am just happy that we are one week closer to March for the re-make episodes.

What remake episodes?
Feb 17, 2021 6:09 PM

Jun 2017
tetraflu0ride said:
What remake episodes?

Special commemorative projects are under way right now for the broadcasting of the upcoming Ep.1000.

There is an official vote for your favour OP/ED. Vote is open until March 5th, you can vote everyday.

A remake for Ep.11 has been announced and it will be broadcasted on March 6th and 13th.

A call to play Moonlight Sonata featured in Ep.11 is currently ongoing on Youtube and Twitter. You can win a prize if your recording wins.
Feb 17, 2021 6:34 PM
Jul 2013
Thank you so much, it was kind of you to list all of that! I googled the remake but only found that they were remaking something, not which episodes. I'll have to do a little digging but this sounds awesome! The moonlight sonata episode was my all time favourite, and it's the only case that I bought manga for. This is really heartwarming. All of the Rina Aiuchi songs are my favourites.

There should be a discussion post for this!
Here's a link for others interested: https://www.ytv.co.jp/conan/1000th/
tetraflu0rideFeb 17, 2021 6:39 PM
Feb 18, 2021 4:30 PM
Sep 2015
What show did I just watch?
Feb 20, 2021 12:19 PM

Dec 2015
This is the most bizarre episode I have seen in quite a while. I'm somewhat surprised that they let the kids go up to this place by themselves.

Conan had to suffer another person's bad singing (Maybe they should've had a duet), Mitsuhiko had to eat durian (I think Genta would have to liked to try those fruit out more), Ayumi getting shown grills for Grandmas, and Genta sees an old lady yeet herself with a jet pack.

Ondo's speed walking, making sharp turns while finding the kids was hilarious (whoever animated that piece sure had to draw a bunch a frames and it paid off). The couple seemed to come off as typical Saturday cartoon villians (Kanto Team Rocket style of villian). Now the ladies seem to have moved on to Ondo as their next obsession. Good that he became the director but hey money talks I guess.

このエピーソドがすごく変だけど、意外に面白い。次のはフィラーキラーの番だ。えー、フライパン?!
Feb 20, 2021 12:33 PM

Dec 2015
@RuneImperialist Looks like you are looking for "Episode 225 - The Secret of the High Sales".
Feb 21, 2021 4:12 AM

Jul 2016
This is the weirdest filler with the less mystery i have watched so far in this series. I'm not sure why they decided to make this, or perhaps they are saving their time to prepare for the 1000th episode.
Well, i hope so.

Feb 21, 2021 12:23 PM

Jul 2008
Well this may go down as one of the creepiest DC episodes of all time.
Feb 25, 2021 9:12 PM

Aug 2017
Bruh.... Dafuq did I just watch :-|

Feb 28, 2021 6:37 AM

Oct 2015
That was funny... I really liked it. It was a nice change of pace. Usually my experience with DC filler is 'I know what will happen, it's just the usual formula' but this ep was so interesting. Would love to see more quirky hijinks like this ^^
Mar 13, 2021 8:59 AM
Oct 2014
Never has it ever happened before that I felt personally insulted, nor did I decide ti jusr turn the episode off while watching (one close contender was the episode where Shinichi totally out of character let the grandmas get away with various crimes).

Gosho himself in-canon has answered already why the Detective Boys cannot ever be famous, it's because the chance is not zero there is another Black Organization member beside Pisco and Vermouth who knew Shiho when she was small. I am actually glad Megumi Hayashibara could not be bothered with this.

The second thing that bothered me was that a huge character like Ondo would not threaten Shinichi, he has the tranq watch exactly for that purpose, yet it is way more likely he would just make up an excuse of needing to go to the toilet and sneak out, never to return.

I do not usually have issues with fillers, provided they follow a bare minimum of established canon ie they understand the characters. When the old lady started to sing to him, I have turned it off, never to return.
Jun 30, 2021 3:24 PM

Apr 2009
Was this written and directed by a grade schooler? You know, the show had its moments, but this is just a disaster.
Jul 17, 2021 2:50 PM

Nov 2016
Feb 3, 2022 8:11 AM

Mar 2011
I can't be the only one who kept thinking this was a Dream-Episode and kept waiting for anyone to wake up from it? It was so weird and bad it made me think I'd be watching a different series. Like... WHAT HAPPENED HERE? What did they take before or while writing this episode? I have to admit I knew something was off when in the intro Conan said something like: "Everybody loves the Detective Boys" ARE YOU SERIOUS? Also something bothered me... They said the DBs were complete but Ai was missing. Worst DC episode I've ever watched and I love the series (even some of the fillers).

Best thing about it was Ondo.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Sep 5, 2022 12:05 PM
Jul 2017
Well...the kids episodes usually are bad, so it is on that line
Oct 3, 2022 1:39 AM
Jun 2020
This episode is cute lol 😅
Dec 6, 2022 10:54 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The episode is bad, very bad!!
Ondo, it´s a character very interesting!!!
Well, the grannies have their reward!!! kekeke
Nov 14, 2023 11:07 AM

Jul 2012
Not the bootleg Jesse and James
Feb 11, 6:48 AM
Apr 2019
This is what I imagine a fever dream looks like, absolutely loved it. A nice change from the usual murder case.
Mar 16, 5:27 AM
Nov 2017
One of the weirdest episodes of the series for sure. I expected to absolutely hate it, since it's written by that guy whose episodes are always weird and stupid and feel over the top like a saturday morning cartoon. I didn't like it, but it had a few moments that at least made me laugh. His other episodes are normally a 0/5 from me, this one is a 1/5.

Weirdest part was for me when one of the rich old hags showed her her jewel denture collection... Okay... Not gonna lie, DC was not an anime where I expected to ever see this...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 1086 Discussion

anime-prime - Jun 11, 2023

10 by Rithic »»
Yesterday, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Meitantei Conan Episode 1113 Discussion

hai_X_is - Feb 3

4 by This_lifeNEEDani »»
Apr 30, 6:03 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 17 Discussion

Jawaese - Aug 18, 2010

18 by xiao_li »»
Apr 30, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Meitantei Conan Episode 1121 Discussion

hai_X_is - Apr 27

2 by teraphIl1000 »»
Apr 28, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 15 Discussion

Jawaese - Aug 18, 2010

13 by xiao_li »»
Apr 28, 3:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.