Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 23, 2019 9:14 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First episode is up on Amazon Prime Japan. About 45+ minutes in length.

The OP song is kinda stylish although a downgrade compared to the previous seasons imo. We got the familiar characters back and it didn't take long for an accident to take place. Looks like they didn't waste time getting right into a case that was assumed to be some sort of "accidential death".

I guess this season will have some clever criminals considering the culprit was clever enough to organize a crime like this.
Oct 23, 2019 12:27 PM
Apr 2010
Well, seeing Akane confined was kind of heart breaking. It at least give me hope for even more Psycho-Pass after season 3. Of course, unless we will cover the happenings which led to this predicament. We are clearly after Kougami possibly arrived back to Japan, and something must have happened which triggered her current status. Even Chief Kasei was replaced by someone very similar, but with a different name.

I liked it very much that the episode felt life-like. I guess it is thanks to the very detailed elements surrounding the characters, which made the whole 2120 Japan alive.

Oh, the Dominator UI got a refresh. I am not a fan of it yet, but oh well. But they at long last fixed the whole "missing Analyse" function. In the previous seasons the Dominator was always shown in "QT-01" mode. Now, it first "Analyse" then the corresponding "QT-XY". I hope for to actually see the Assault Dominator in "Destroy Decomposer" mode at long last.
Mate94Oct 23, 2019 12:31 PM
Oct 24, 2019 12:20 AM

Oct 2018
Like the new inspectors. Arata's personality is refreshing, I'm interested about the past incident that still lingers with him. If this season is on par with the SS cases I'll be pretty happy.
Oct 24, 2019 6:35 AM

Aug 2018
I watched episodes 1 and 2 last week, so idk whats going on with the dates...
dem brazilian fansubs be getting episodes before amazon oO
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Oct 24, 2019 10:06 AM

Nov 2007
2nd season girl (she's senpai now) and the megane lady welcome both new main characters of this season. Nakamura-san's character sounds strict, while KajiKaji's character is pure. New "followers", huh. Checking crimes of the civilians via gun... The new criminals walking under them are too free.

Mental trace, ability to see the past? w. that ability, KajiKaji found the missing person, who appeared in the beginning that got killed. Is that why he often sleepy? Though sometimes there's a monster appearing beside him.

More new characters, namely Mamo's character. They are in different group.

Nakamura-san's character is strong, too.

Suspecting someone set the accident and photographers...

Data hiding under and inside flower vase, w. wife's b-day as password. One of the data related found those suspicious people.

Both of them getting scolded for involving in the case too much.

Hanazawa-san's character is working in officer now?

Both OP are ED are ok.

Nojima-san's character working separately.

25:05, too, next.

IwaOi-KHRStan said:
But i heard there is another Psycho Pass special aired on october 17th, or was it the Psycho pass season 3 episode 1?
That's the #0 or the special show where they introduced the basic core and looking back on Psycho-Pass series, and showed first few minutes of the first ep. And Yeah, it was aired on October 17.
tsubasaloverNov 1, 2019 10:52 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 24, 2019 10:53 AM

Oct 2018
tsubasalover said:

Mental trace, ability to see the past? w. that ability, KajiKaji found the missing person, who appeared in the beginning that got killed. Is that why he often sleepy? Though sometimes there's a monster appearing beside him.
I think KajiKaji's character can put himself in the place of a victim, allowing him to easily trace them. He's often sleepy because of a past incident, which explains the monster too.
Oct 24, 2019 12:01 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It was extremely boring but at least animation is pretty good
Oct 24, 2019 12:32 PM

Mar 2019
OMG this post is about the ep and not about the subs or whatever !!!!!!!!!!

Boring, shitty characters but good art and the same CGI guns
This is definitely a new season of psycho pass along with the pros and cons of the previous ones
That OP was less annoying than the S1's one
Oct 24, 2019 12:40 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Enjoyed it way more than expected. I like the 2 new MCs.

I dont think it will be better than the first season but it definitly can be better than second season and the movies.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 24, 2019 12:45 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That was unexpectedly good after the disappointment of season two. Interesting setup so far. About the only thing I don't like too much is Arata. He's way too doofy and young for being an Inspector. He would have worked better for me if he'd been an assistant of some sort. At least his special skill and family background makes it a tad more believable.

We need more Shion too :-)
FarabeufOct 28, 2019 11:05 PM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 24, 2019 1:12 PM

Nov 2016
I was a little bummed out when I realized that we would follow a brand new cast, but the new characters made a good first impression and are already more likeable than Shimotsuki hehe. I still hope that Akane, Yayoi or even Kougami will become the center of attention again once we've explored our newbies, more of this case and the people behind it. I wonder if those people we've seen are also criminally asymptomatic.

Dunno if this will come close to S1, but imo we're off to a pretty good start .

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 24, 2019 1:19 PM
Jan 2011
Somehow I thought it was a bit funny that the two new protagonists are Gray and Lyon from Fairy Tail.
Oct 24, 2019 1:57 PM

Oct 2010
They mentioned that Akane is an ex-inspector now, I wonder what happened. Shimotsuki is now chief and not an Inspector anymore.
Oct 24, 2019 2:16 PM

Sep 2019
This is Psycho-pass in name only...what is this tone even? Not to mention basically murdering Akane's character. Sacrificing peace for justice? Did these writers even watch season 1? They'd better give a very good reason for this, else it's just straight up destroying one of the 2 best characters of the franchise, and throwing out what made the whole Akane/Kougami dynamic good and carried the series in the first place. I'm so shocked right now it's unbelievable.

It is very early, true, but right now it looks like just another average, gimmick chasing anime.
Oct 24, 2019 2:19 PM

Nov 2013
Since when Tsunemori isnt inspector anymore? Did I miss something? Was it in movies?
Oct 24, 2019 2:47 PM

May 2016
Sad we saw the narration in the beginning then she was in that jail cell. was it because she knew everything?
Also, immigrants in japan. lol
Oct 24, 2019 2:47 PM

Jul 2017
wait tf is she imprisoned for lmao, but thats a whole rip.
Oct 24, 2019 3:00 PM

May 2011
I already love that this season has 45 min episodes.I kinda like the new guys but I’m pretty mixed about Arata’s ability.Also the ed is great.
''I was dead serious''

Oct 24, 2019 3:20 PM

Feb 2017
Decent start. Kei and new enforcers left a good first impression on me. Though I don't know how to feel about Arata guy yet.

Wonder what's that new female enforcer hiding and also what was that incident that got Akane confined. Also, Ginoza seems to be on some special mission?
Oct 24, 2019 3:21 PM

Dec 2017
well, i can already tell that this is a lot better than s2. the cast of the enforcers is so much likeable than the previous ones all together. charismatic and interesting.

the only issue i find is this new mentalist ability which came out of nowhere. this is some revolutionary ability in detective fiction, but comes off very plot convenient, sadly

anyways, i like the change in detective structure, they ACTUALLY DEDUCE THINGS, analyze and examine instead of just pointing their guns at targets and letting thing be decided for them. looking forward to how the story unfolds, there seems to be a lot going on
uninstallthegameOct 24, 2019 3:25 PM
Oct 24, 2019 3:32 PM
May 2014
Hyack said:
They mentioned that Akane is an ex-inspector now, I wonder what happened. Shimotsuki is now chief and not an Inspector anymore.

yeah, i think we should watch Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System for backstory
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2019 3:40 PM

Jan 2019
Interesting dialogue, I like the deduction and examination change of investigation.
I dig the two new enforcers Arata and Kei, especially Arata. I'm extremely interested into this new ability, they will definitely build on that aspect including more about that wolf figure. It might be connected to his past and "You can do it in practice" might just be a cover up.
Overall after the episode, I had more questions than answers, but that's good. It will definitely never better than S1, but right now it's quite good.
ElucidOct 24, 2019 10:23 PM
Oct 24, 2019 3:40 PM
Dec 2018
Pretty good start, but it left me with questions that I hope get answered later on like why is Tsunemori locked up? How did Shimotsuki become chief? & What’s this “deal” that she has with Ginoza? What happened to some of the other enforcers from the previous seasons besides Hinakawa? If anyone knows, Would I have to watch the Sinners of the system movies to know this info?
Oct 24, 2019 3:49 PM
Apr 2013
One episode and I'm already pissed. Nice. Nearly all good characters are now in positions where they have 1 minute of screentime each in a friggin 45 minute episode, and instead we get a new pair, where one guys skill is basically deus-ex-machinaing the solution to whatever he wants to know. Just great. The pair has at least some decent chemistry, but this definitely feels like Psycho-Pass at its weakest.
Oct 24, 2019 3:50 PM

Mar 2016
What. A. Letdown.

This is not even Psycho-Pass anymore. Teasing me with a sequel to one of my all-time favorite series and then this? Guess I should've learned my lesson after season 2.

I rewatched S1 a few days ago and the difference to this in just the first episode alone is like night and day. It really feels like the scriptwriter just isn't comfortable writing within the confines of the setting that was established in S1. Direction feels off to, everything just seems disconnected/ consecutive scenes don't blend together well. I had a hard time taking my eyes off the monitor throughout my S1 binge, whereas I had to pause this first episode multiple times just to try and get what the fuck was going on. Or just to laugh at some stupid bullshit like the "No Data" cellphone (They even showed this twice. lol) or the cringeworthy "ominous evil conference".
KnockatorOct 24, 2019 3:57 PM
Oct 24, 2019 4:13 PM
Apr 2016
I was so disappointed after season 2, I am really hoping for something good in S3. I'm curious about the new characters but I also hope that they will explain why Tsunemori is an ex-inspector!
Oct 24, 2019 4:24 PM

Jul 2017
Not too bad of a start, Arata seems like he could be a pretty good MC, his "ability" seems kinda cheese though

Not really digging the enforcer pairing this season either

OP is actually pretty good though. I swear what's with PP OP's and people pointing dominators at each other?
Oct 24, 2019 4:25 PM

Sep 2017
I´m moderately optimistic. The beginning was boring but towards the end of the episode both the inspectors and enforcers were showing some personality.

The Mind Trace stuff, however, is basically magic and I don´t like it one bit. I can suspend disbelief enough to not question the dominators. But that is supposed to be advanced tech. WTF is the Mind Trace supposed to be?
Oct 24, 2019 4:33 PM
Sep 2012
Haters need to chill... AND watch the Sinners of the System episodes.

I personally loved this first episode! So much better than the writing of season two. And so much intrigue that will hopefully be explored in further detail. Although much is still unclear, you can kinda tell that more thought has been put into the plot and characters of this new season. Seems like we are dealing with a narrative of multiple layers. I found it especially promising how all the new characters were at least somewhat entertaining in their own rights. Also liked how both Shou and Mika felt a thousand times more likable here than in previous installations. I was super skeptical when I found out that we would get new protagonists, but that skepticism is almost gone now. Really like the dynamic between the new inspectors (as well as their interactions with the enforcers). Only real criticism I have is that the editing was somewhat abrupt at times, and that Arata's mentalist skill seems a bit unrealistic and needs to be explained in more detail.

And for those disappointed with the lack of Akane (and Kogami), they WILL be back. SS case 3 basically confirmed that they will meet again in S3 :)

red4scare said:
The Mind Trace stuff, however, is basically magic and I don´t like it one bit. I can suspend disbelief enough to not question the dominators. But that is supposed to be advanced tech. WTF is the Mind Trace supposed to be?

I'm guessing that Arata's brain is in some way connected to the Sybil System, moreso than others, and can somehow trace the mentalities stored in psycho passes after he has managed to allign his own psyche with the person he is trying to trace.
BarnaldNov 6, 2019 12:28 PM
Oct 24, 2019 4:42 PM

Jan 2014
I was pleasantly surprised, thought the 1st episode was pretty good, atmosphere and the cool quirks of the psychopass world were all cool. new cast of characters were interesting and each episode being 45 min was a nice suprise.
Oct 24, 2019 5:21 PM

Jul 2017
aren't they tired of repeating the same scene over and over again.....
Oct 24, 2019 6:34 PM
Apr 2013
I guess they still couldn't find a good writer. What a shame.

I'm still laughing at the cargo plane with its magical sucking door that pulls a guy and some huge metal boxes out, but not the out-of-date smartphone that was in his hands.

I guess it's time to accept that season 1 was the start and end of the masterpiece that was Psycho Pass.
Oct 24, 2019 7:02 PM

Feb 2014
So the plot moves along a completely new direction and a new conspirator. They skipped a lot after the events of Case file 1 so we really need to know how Akane got herself confined. That Akane though!!
On the other hand Mika handles the department? She's come a long way now.
Still with the things going on and the back deal Ginoza and Mika mention, I think there's a lot in the background.
Hope Kougami makes his intro soon enough.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 24, 2019 7:02 PM
Sep 2016
It is alright. For a first episode, they did basically introduce us to an interesting duo of main characters and the angle where the story is going. Not excellently.

I do like the main detectives especially this young, slightly rogue-like and charismatic partnership but the trace ability is still questionably convenient.

It was interesting to see Akane in jail at the very beginning. Leaves us maybe a little excited to see what occurs on her part.

At times, you kind of feel like they are trying to grab your curiosity but end up feeling left out of context due to the way the lose you in certain scenes such as the introduction to some supposed villains at this grand round table game. Eye candy but you cannot help but ask questions in frustration of being lost (e.g. "What is Bifrost?"). Feels like there are gaps in the series rather than things to look forward to.

I feel that for some, watching the duo detectives may be enough to carry you through series where other areas are lacking.

Oct 24, 2019 7:03 PM

Feb 2014
hopscotchskies said:

I guess it's time to accept that season 1 was the start and end of the masterpiece that was Psycho Pass.

Season 1 was definitely the wonder but the Case files Series don't disappoint too.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 24, 2019 7:04 PM
Dec 2015
can i watch this without ever having watched any of the previous psychopass?
Oct 24, 2019 7:20 PM
Sep 2016
Recommend not. There are characters from previous seasons in psycho-pass 3 that you will need to know or at least have some info on. The world is not introduced in this season as well since it is the same setting, which would really help with understanding. Too early to say if it will be relevant though. Plus season 1 is known to be the best season so would recommend you try that out.
Oct 24, 2019 7:23 PM
Mar 2018
I was on the mix end when I heard the announcement of S3.
I was still uneasy with newer cast lowkey replacing the already established cast from before. But, my first thoughts:
Seeing Akane Confined in a jail cell was a bit surprising. Seeing her hue wasn’t affected when she lost her best friend in S1 by the hands of Makishima to loosing her grandmother by that idiotic villain in S2, it only makes me question on what could’ve possibly happened for this to be taken place.
The set up so far is rather interesting in comparison to the last season. I don’t mind the newer investigators, but Arata..? I can understand why some fans aren’t liking him. He’s a little too wide eyed and “goofy” at times, but I think his odd personality brings out a new dynamic into the series. I welcome it, just as long as it’s not overly exaggerated. (Please tell there will be an explanation behind his insomnia. At least I’m sure that’s the case.)
I may need to rewatch this again in terms of its main Antagonist and what exactly they’re trying to accomplish in comparison to other Antagonists in the series. I’ll keep watching.
Oct 24, 2019 7:27 PM
Apr 2013
dasprn said:
hopscotchskies said:

Season 1 was definitely the wonder but the Case files Series don't disappoint too.

I haven't watched the new set of movies yet, but am definitely planning to. The first movie wasn't bad, compared to the trainwreck that was season 2.

nox32 said:

I guess you could, although it kind of spoils the end of season 1, which is much better.
Oct 24, 2019 8:16 PM

Oct 2015
Iganatov and Arata are an interesting duo, I want to see more of their skills.

I also think Mao is protecting someone close to her from the investigation, judging by the way she hid that card.

No Akane on this one, except at the end, and she looks like she's passing the torch to those two.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 24, 2019 9:25 PM
Dec 2015
Kazuya_9x9 said:
Recommend not. There are characters from previous seasons in psycho-pass 3 that you will need to know or at least have some info on. The world is not introduced in this season as well since it is the same setting, which would really help with understanding. Too early to say if it will be relevant though. Plus season 1 is known to be the best season so would recommend you try that out.

thanks, guess i'll have to add the season 1 to my ever growing list of stuff i need to catch up on
Oct 24, 2019 10:08 PM

Nov 2010
Like season 2, the new characters have kind of weak impressions compared to season 1. S1 had two impressive main characters, Kohgami and Makishima. Both of them were clever and had strong physical, and above all, possessed great charisma. Kohgami was hot and wild and Makishima was ice cold and excessively logical. Without alternatives of those striking characters, it is difficult to make the show attractive like S1.

Only the weak point of S1 was that they couldn't come up with the solution for Sibyl system controlled society and it was carried over the sequels and haven't solved yet. Will S3 display the hint for it? I think it's difficult as far as watching this episode.
Oct 25, 2019 2:45 AM
Jan 2015
IMO this 1st episode still better than entire S2, but worser to S1. The premises especially in "bidding" things looks not too much related to the duo MC case. Later, the 45 minutes episode slot not too much gave impression. Hope the next episode will clearly show the dot of clues and improve the storyline.
Oct 25, 2019 3:26 AM
Apr 2010
Moaners should really stop it. If you haven't watched the movies, then it is evident that you wouldn't understand what is happening.

But let me clear the confusion for you. The SS.3 movie is set in 2116. Kougami at the very end says that it is time to go back to Japan. Fin. Movie end on that note.

Now, in this third season the date is 2120... So, everything what happened to Akane, why the changes in the cast, etc. I believe it really gives you an idea what we are dealing with.

I actually don't expect them telling us what happened to Akane, because that story could clearly make another season or movie to cover.
Oct 25, 2019 4:44 AM
Sep 2015
have not watched Psycho Pass 3 and wanted to ask a question here -

can i watch psycho pass 3 without having watched any of the movies? I've only watched seasons 1 and 2
Oct 25, 2019 5:01 AM

May 2010
looks like i have to watch several movies before this but season 2 was such trash so i guess im not going to watch this at all.

the ruined it for me with season 2...the whole series.
Oct 25, 2019 5:18 AM

Jul 2013
It was worse than I was expecting, but maybe it'll get better. The Yuki Kaji character feels completely out of place in a series like this.
Oct 25, 2019 5:28 AM
Apr 2016
Opening is not exactly a rich one, but it has all the basics to avoid me being critical. From it we can tell that the Mental-type newbie is being haunted by something inside him, which is why at one point he will have to defeat "himself", or rather his insane side, let's keep terms simple. Directing is commendable, the idea of mental trace is not that off science-fiction scale. A great successor to every fundamental dystopian sci-fi thriller. Expecting great things.
P.S. Half of what is going on screen is a reflection on trends in Japanese society itself, as well. Not that an average viewer would get a wind of it, just keep in mind only half of it is a fiction.

nox32 said:

Exactly what I am doing. Enjoying it tremendously, as the quality is, while not exactly a masterpiece, is top-tier.
Daniel_NaumovOct 25, 2019 5:33 AM
Re:formed
Oct 25, 2019 5:35 AM

Sep 2011
ah i guess i should watch the movies first before watching this one

hopscotchskies said:

I'm still laughing at the cargo plane with its magical sucking door that pulls a guy and some huge metal boxes out, but not the out-of-date smartphone that was in his hands.

that had me loling too
Oct 25, 2019 5:49 AM
Apr 2016
kuroneko99 said:
Like season 2, the new characters have kind of weak impressions compared to season 1. S1 had two impressive main characters, Kohgami and Makishima. Both of them were clever and had strong physical, and above all, possessed great charisma. Kohgami was hot and wild and Makishima was ice cold and excessively logical. Without alternatives of those striking characters, it is difficult to make the show attractive like S1.

Only the weak point of S1 was that they couldn't come up with the solution for Sibyl system controlled society and it was carried over the sequels and haven't solved yet. Will S3 display the hint for it? I think it's difficult as far as watching this episode.

What you describe is a generic character not even in Japanese art, but in art worldwide. Now, "art". Here we have unconventional characters both from in-universe and from our own view points. It was literally spelled in the episode - one is a rich kid and the other is an immigrant. The rich kid is suffering from some sort of ailment (which might or might not be artificially induced), which also helps him connect to others through time and space. During said connections he is also haunted by a "demon", which I will assume to be the human malice, slowly eating him from inside his mind, as he is unable to shelter himself off its existence.
The other is a Russian immigrant who worked up to a detective rank, in an isolationist (both in-universe and just as its real role model is) society with strong prejudice against immigrants. While trying to do their job with dignity, they both seem to pursuit a bigger noble goal. Which might be fighting the system (society) itself. The congressman guy Homura might as well be in in a cohort with them.
Re:formed
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Psycho-Pass 3 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2019

168 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 15, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass 3 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2019

130 by venbals »»
Jan 19, 11:44 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass 3 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2019

70 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 29, 2023 7:14 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass 3 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2019

85 by MizuhoKamui »»
Oct 28, 2023 6:19 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass 3 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2019

78 by MizuhoKamui »»
Oct 28, 2023 12:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.