Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 12, 2011 10:17 PM

Aug 2010
This episode was too DEEP for me.

Also, my body was not ready for that last scene.
Feb 23, 2011 6:04 PM

Sep 2009
If that was Fanserice then the scenes where the Mechas fight are obviously moments from the Slice of Life genre.

Not exactly Deep persay. I think it tried a little to hard.
Everything was simple enough to follow.
Shinji got turned into liquid goo, but not really because the Eva itself absorbed him.
The Eva is most likely his mother like I have been assuming thus it released him.
Of course I could be mistaken.

The sex scene was totally necessary.
It's slapping you in the face and telling you that her loyalties have just done a heel face turn. Everything she believed in, everything she is is no longer the same.

The Penguin could have replaced Shinji as the pilot of Unit One.
Apr 23, 2011 3:23 AM

Apr 2009
So... Shinji wants a harem... I can't blame him.
May 4, 2011 10:46 PM
Feb 2011
Oh God...I don't know who I'd pick between Misato, Rei, and Asuka! They're all too cute <3
May 8, 2011 10:19 PM

Oct 2008
=O
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 4, 2011 4:41 AM

Feb 2010
Convolvolus said:
Oh God...I don't know who I'd pick between Misato, Rei, and Asuka! They're all too cute <3

Id pick virgin Asuka for sure.
Dont want that cold Rei.
like Misato too
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2011 10:48 AM

Jul 2009
- ...boss we have an unexpected problem with this NGE project.
- What do you mean?
- We just can't write a decent story!
- Hmmm... Let me think... Have you ever mixed Vodka, prozac and LSD?
- Errr... Nope...
- Well, I did. You know what came into my mind then?
- No, sir.
- Incoherent, illogical, senseless stuff. Lots of it. Why don't you put it into NGE?
- Why do I have a feeling that it won't work?...
- It will. You'll see. And in fact - people will love it. And we'll call it... Mindfuck.
Nov 24, 2011 10:23 PM

Mar 2010
I think a lot of you are misunderstanding the reasoning and point of this episode. It goes beyond just the thoughts and needs of Shinji, but humanity as a whole. The entire episode (if you payed good attention) was a metaphor into human desire and naturalism. The need for men to sexually explore (the same for women, but shown through Shinji's perspective in this case) and experience humanly pleasure. Notice how Asuka, Rei, and Mitsuno all spoke about ''how good it felt'' and ''do you want to be one with us''. Pay close attention! It isn't just about the last sex scene that happened to last longer than we needed (-__-) Looking forward to the next!
Jan 25, 2012 1:16 AM
Jan 2012
Call me silly, but I'm going to talk about the FIRST things that came to my mind. Meaning, all assumption, UTTERLY NON-CANON.

Two things to talk about:

Shinji Crazy Nonsense-

I related to this as it being similar to lucid epic dreams that people sometimes have when they're suffering from high fever. Obviously he wasn't under that condition, but since its all science fiction, I'm sure the writer used it as a point of reference. .. Soo that's how I explain that. It had no real point to it at all, just that it was a way for the writer to articulate a phenomenon that could occur given the set of circumstances.

To explain it from experience, your mind takes on a sort of primal drive, and is utterly controlled by your subconscious. Certain laws and rules won't apply in this realm because its not the "civilized" connection we share in the waking world. It is VERY much random, and VERY psychedelic.

The "harem," as everyone is calling it, is an emotional "impacting" factor in my opinion. Much like how it connects with the audience. I would assume most people would see it and say " .. Uhh.. What the Fff-?" And while in his case, or in this scenario, his reaction is not the same as ours. That was the signifying cue to finalize the high fever lucid dreams / hallucinations epiphany.

^ All that is utterly subjective garble from impulsive thinking, so don't take it too seriously.

Kaji / MisoSoupw/e her name is, at the end-

This is actually the main reason why I was looking this up, because it was the most confusing. I was watching it in English audio, so the w/e noises weren't as risque as some of you describe.

My first reaction was a dud. Nothing popped into my head, but I felt it was more than belleh rubz and curled toes.

So after thinking about it, and reading some posts on the forums, I had this silly idea that Miso Soup was getting an oral release from Kaji. Partly because of the name of the episode, and also because she puts a pill down on the night stand, or more to the point, sex without the desire to procreate. Note that during this time, Kaji has already expressed a sort of deadened emotion towards death in the previous episode, and MISO -- FFS. Srsly. I'm going to check out her name.

--

Misato. Misato and many of the other characters in the story are expressing concern of inevitable doom. Note that Kaji says "This is a present for you, the first in 8 years. And maybe the last as well," right after Misato puts a pill on the nightstand and looks at him strange. So .. Point:

I think that the "context" in the translation is misleading. I think that "Don't put strange things into me" was in reference to Misato being reared by Kaji in an effort to have unprotected sex which proved successful, and that the "gift" was his seed.

don'tflamemaplz ><!! kthx.

PS!!: Also note there is an opened condom wrapper sitting next to the cup on the night stand. Just noticed. That either makes it more right or more wrong.. or just more confusing.

PSS: Derp. Episode 23 16:40. NULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.
sheamJan 25, 2012 2:45 AM
Apr 17, 2012 1:37 AM
Jan 2010
What a fuckin cock tease.... They spent A minute showing us the window while they're banging each other. LMFAO, the noises were too funny.
CrehbohrahkuApr 17, 2012 1:46 AM
Apr 17, 2012 1:46 AM
Jan 2010
CallistoRey said:
I just wasted 8 minutes thinking on a witty comment about Misato and Kaiji having sex.
NICE episode.

LOL same here.
Jun 5, 2012 1:38 PM

Mar 2008
ending was dumb and partly unnecessary
mhm, is shinji really 'back'? I wonder..
^after reading the above post I also agree with the assumption - I think they had unprotected sex (I doubt he shoved a pill up her ass)..
Vanessa-Jun 5, 2012 1:42 PM
Jun 11, 2012 2:17 PM
Feb 2010
I am 20 Episodes into this series and I just can't "feel" it. I'm wondering if the last six are worth it?
Jun 12, 2012 8:59 AM

Sep 2009
iCards said:
I am 20 Episodes into this series and I just can't "feel" it. I'm wondering if the last six are worth it?

Same here ..
Jun 13, 2012 9:59 AM

Mar 2012
Convolvolus said:

Misato is way cooler than Asuka.
1. Rei (Fanboy)
2. Misato
3. Asuka
Jul 21, 2012 5:08 AM

May 2011
ChoomTOP said:
iCards said:

Same here ..

Me too..

This anime is in the top 200 yet it's only an "okay" show for me and so far I would rate it as 6 or 7. What's more I don't really like any obscene scenes as it's disturbing to me, causing me to feel uncomfortable and headaches. It's so eye bleeding to watch. But I'll usually try to complete it before giving any ratings..
Aug 14, 2012 4:01 PM
Jul 2012
uhhhhhh... that last scene was kind of awkward to watch
Aug 17, 2012 8:41 PM

Feb 2009
Lol well that was DEEP...

I see their budget is beginning to run out. A minute spent on a still frame while sex noises are made in the background. Awkward. Although I am not understanding these comments about fanservice... sorry, didn't get that feeling at all.

I often feel like Misato is the only one I can trust in this show
Dec 10, 2012 8:45 AM

May 2012
Allot of fan service if I say so my self... but other than that quite an interesting though rather boring episode!

But really that ending... normally I don't mind fan service but this is just ridicules in this anime...
Dec 15, 2012 6:00 PM

Aug 2012
That last scene.
I did not expect that, even though they were both in the bedroom naked and on each other.
Feb 18, 2013 3:22 PM

Oct 2012
=_= Well. Those were some sounds.
Must have been a really intense game of twister.
Feb 20, 2013 4:52 PM
Aug 2012
misato is most definatly a misleading cow how can someone so highranked be so dumb she seems so much like a bike
Feb 25, 2013 9:12 PM

Jan 2013
5/5
Nice english dub voice acting
Mar 20, 2013 12:58 AM

Jan 2013
the whole eva thing was creepy. and it was crazy how shinji's body disappeared and they went all philosophical on us. it was kinda a "deus ex machina" on how he just reappeared though.

...and then the ending O_O Im surprised they took it that far. "Dont stick weird things in there!" hahaha omfg X_X misato sounded wayyy different too..
May 1, 2013 10:04 AM

Mar 2013
tigerz said:
That's not how you use a birth control pill.

lol

good episode. It's getting really real.

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
May 9, 2013 3:24 PM

Feb 2012
That episode was hmm.. interesting.

Thoughts from Episode 20

That flashback of first episode was helpful remembering things. And those monologues that Shinji had with Rei were really interesting like why is he living for and what is happiness and when Shinji was going mental sick. Also his synch rate went overboard.

Pretty weird that people can vanish like that. Maybe this same vanish was what happened to NERV's 2nd branch. Well now we also know that SEELE is behind of everything all these plans: ADAM and Human Instrumentarily Project, and Marduk Institute probably too. And Gendo is their mouse and Kaji is taking orders from them. What this organisation wants is probably ADAM and taking control of EVA's.

So we saw something from Shinji's birth. Like how Yui and Gendo decided names if he was boy "Shinj"i and if girl "Rei" and left Shinji for searching happiness in his own place. So did Gendo made his plans for revenge not having his way in birth and because result was boy than girl. Because he originally wanted girl to be born.

That info Ritsuko mentioned from 10 years ago doing research and all that stuff put me thinking that when they said EVA where human made stuff. It gave me an idea. What if Ritsuko's father is created Evangelions and maybe also Angels. His partner could been Misato's father and they did research together without letting Ritsuko and Misato know about this.

What Kanji ment that final quate saying that it will be last time that he will give Misato presents. Did he drugged her or I am just thinking too much here.

Hmm I wonder too what are true objective of Gendo probably something to do with Evangelions and ADAM.

This episode had a bit of too much fanservice. they could have used that time for something else. Luckily it wasn't in a way kind of like.

Best parts: Shinji and Rei monologues. Shinji scoming back human form.
May 20, 2013 9:56 PM
Jul 2018

SHINJI. :3
His mother's soul in inside an Eva?
May 23, 2013 11:53 PM

Jul 2012
Bad episode at the end to have my headphones up loud and people sitting across from me.

Thanks Evangelion.
May 30, 2013 9:59 PM

May 2013
Is too much fan service the cry of everyone? Bah, so pointless. I don't even see that much fanservice during the series nor do I take this as fan service.

What about the major amounts of mind fuck????
Even during the sex scenes, there was a lot of things coming up during their convo.

You people are petty sometimes *spit on ground*
But hey, I'd bang Misato too.
You're all idiots, but I'm no different.
Jun 1, 2013 10:21 PM

Mar 2012
Kinda disappointed they skipped over how they recovered Unit 01, at least their starting to complete Shinji's character development

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jul 13, 2013 7:59 AM
Nov 2011
I'll say it now, I have too thoughts about both Sinji and Rei, but I don't know why I feel this.

Early on in the series I thought that Rei wasn't human, or rather, that she might be a clone, or a hybrid, and that there might be some significance in why she was chosen first. What never occurred to me before, is that Sinji might be also.

That's my thoughts. I think things are going to go to hell in a hand basket soon.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jul 24, 2013 5:18 AM

Jun 2013
It's weird that everyone here is/was talking about how there was so much fanservice in this ep. I mean, Eva Unit-01 just fucking gave birth to Shinji. Or recreated him from scratch. That's equally amazing. I saw it coming but still, it had a much bigger impact on me than the fanservice. Oh well.
Aug 11, 2013 9:50 AM

Oct 2009
DAT END.
Aug 12, 2013 1:46 PM

Jul 2013
I wanted to see how they recovered unit 1 as well.

Yeah the Shinji stuff was super weird this episode, I never thought this show would be such a psychological mindf--k lol.

Yeah the fan service outta nowhere was so random, suddenly there's boobage and then the sound of them doing it at the end ... randomness.
Sep 1, 2013 2:05 PM

Jul 2009
Did not expect that scene at the end at all. But I DID expect people to react like they did. Nearly 90% of the comments here complains about the sex scene. Kind of strange, as people does not call it "fanservice" when it happens in regular movies. It was just a picture of a wall and some noises, no big deal.

I, myself, have never seen such a scene in an Anime before. Didn't even think they would've allowed it...
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
Sep 11, 2013 9:31 PM

Sep 2011
Did I just get teased?
Sep 21, 2013 3:38 PM

Apr 2013
Shinji might get mentally unstable after what happened to him. And there is no need to whine about the fan service in this episode.
Sep 22, 2013 3:57 AM

Oct 2008
zero fanservice in this episode, people are crazy
Oct 15, 2013 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
Richard_Omega said:

whoa.. they took it too far... kind of boring to see a still screen while hearing misato's screams and the thuds... =/

LOL
Also, am I the only one who thinks that Misato's and Shinji's relationship is pretty interesting?
Nov 1, 2013 8:48 PM

Oct 2013
The heck the last part... O_O
Dec 2, 2013 3:08 AM
Jul 2018
Honestly, I've been a bit bored of Evangelion. This episode sparked my interest though. Total mind f! So does that mean Shinji and Rei are siblings? There were tons of hints and revelations in this episode.

(Now to be part of the 90% of the people who posted in this discussion)

That last scene made me feel like I was listening to some smutty drama CD o.o
Dec 11, 2013 9:12 AM
Sep 2013
Wow...some real good stuff this episode. Absolutely loved the visual effects used during Shinji's reflections. At this point, I'm pretty intrigued; just what the hell are the Evangelion?
Dec 17, 2013 8:50 AM

Dec 2012
Did he... put a pill in her butt? The dream/limbo sequence was a surreal delight.
Dec 23, 2013 6:00 PM

Aug 2007
I actually really enjoyed the psychological elements in this episode.

I'm also wondering even more what Rei is to Shinji. An actual sister? Or is she even real in the human sense? Is she a child made by his dad, the daughter he never could have?

Dec 26, 2013 11:35 AM

Jan 2013
That eye of the Eva, if I were them I would be so creeped out by that thing! It reminds me kind of of a Titan but more subdued.

So no wonder the water/fluid that fills the cockpit smells and stuff like blood, it IS blood. I bet there's another human in there that they've been feeding off of. What if it's Shinji's mom? Is that possible? I'm not sure if she's dead or not but it just seems kind of all strange.

Misato is right, the blonde haired lady is really fucked up and needs to take responsibility for what she's done. How can she act so casual when this THING is barely under their control.

Wait what? What does he mean he already knew Eva?

Wait what?! What was that pill?! Why did he say it might be the last?! Too many questions!
Jan 4, 2014 6:28 PM

Jul 2013
Shinji-kun!, Baka Shinji!, Ikari, Yo Shinji!

My head is starting to hurt after all these images inside the Eva. I hope that episode 21 will give anwers to some of the questions
Jan 25, 2014 11:09 AM

Aug 2013
I wish I understood what the preview at the end said...

Primal urges is the harem, and the rest is more of Shinji's insecurity. Of the few posts I read no-one mentioned how it's more of the same - he values himself based on how much everyone around him sees him. This creates an impossible problem to solve: you can't please everyone. He has to decide, on his own, and on his standards, his self-worth. Insted of relying on other for his own value. But that takes courage and self-confidance because if you value your own decision which doesn't match with others you have to fight for your belief and that hurts. And he's afraid of being hurt.

That all seems pretty simple to me. Partaly because it's been hinted already, but I do have an "unfair" advantage because I know how these people think. Anyway, I had more problems understanding the end of the episode. What's with Misato and Kaji? Didn't understand their dialogue and the end (beginning and middle I understand). "It could be the last"? The pill? Whaa? I'm expecting that it will be explained in the next episode(s).
Feb 2, 2014 1:56 PM
Oct 2011
Well we learn a fair bit this episode. Evangelions appear to have human souls in them and it is a safe bet based on what Shinji smelled that Unit-01 has his mother’s. Kaji seems to be expecting to be killed off soon, with that line about how the pill might be the LAST present he gives Misato. . Also Shinji decides to come back to life after being almost being absorbed into the Eva because he reached a 400% synchronization rate. Finally, on a note of interest it seems Rei was the name Gendo wanted to give his child if it was a Girl. Whatever it means about this Rei, the fact that she has that name can be no coincidence. Also I think the LCL is supposed to be amniotic fluid, basically the clear liquid found in the human womb. This episode aslo drives home why Shinji piloting the eva despite the fact that he hates it, it is the only thing he does that gets respect. Well not really but Shinji has far too deprecating a self image to realize that Misato and SOME of the others care for him beyond that.
Feb 11, 2014 12:08 AM
Feb 2014
Okay first off, let's clear things up. This episode wasn't fanservice. Those images of the girls were part of the hallucination, not throw in solely to get you aroused. If you got aroused off of that, you need to get a hold of yourself.

Secondly, that pill in the end wasn't a birth control pill. I don't know how young some of you are, but that is NOT what birth control looks like, nor does it work that fast, nor would it make sense for him to be giving it to her, lol...

Third, I would assume that Kaji did anal on Misato considering she was so apprehensive about it (at least in the English dub). "Don't put strange things in there" should of been a clear indication.
Feb 15, 2014 7:18 PM

Apr 2012
^I think the "strange thing" might've been the pill, and he was messing around with it, in an undisclosed orifice. (Can't remember exactly what that pill's about). Eva's all about double meanings!

You can take those nudie images of Asuka/Misato/Rei as simple sexual come-ons in the mind of a teen, or in a deeper, literal sense of "come be one with me in body and soul" - a more zen thing. Since the episode was all about identity and consciousness.

ie, dissolve your ego, dude. Who needs a body anyway?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.