Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 2019 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, they got all the main characters into the air this time for the mission. Seems like the Zai forces were ready too for their counterattack.

On the other hand, I find the episode a bit strange with the eerie silence at the home base. Action was okay I guess, nothing really extraordinary or anything compared to other episodes. Rhino is also easily becoming one of my favorites in the show.

Weird cliffhanger.
Stark700Mar 21, 2019 9:22 AM
Mar 21, 2019 9:59 AM

Apr 2010
Well having an entire airport to yourself what would you do?
The main didn't have an answer but it's clear something is wrong there seeing the things or better said hearing the things that's happening.
A place with no one around and everything in working order must be very creepy.
Mar 21, 2019 10:06 AM
Jan 2017
The battle to liberate China begins, but our heroes are suddenly caught off-guard by an unexpected Zai counterattack. What follows is an extended sequence that sees Kei, Gripen and Rhino explore an abandoned area in a Zai-controlled China. That scene does a good job at delivering a subtle and nuance atmosphere of uneasiness and dread, which is somewhat mitigated when Rhino tells Kei a little bit about herself. Unfortunately, trouble is never far away. Next week delivers the final episode and my expectations are... reasonably high. This has been an enjoyable journey, Kei and co. have proven to be likeable and interesting and I definitely hope their stories can come to a satisfying conclusion.
Mar 21, 2019 2:02 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Looking at that assault fleet seems America is serious about this op. So Kei is acting as the pilot this time huh interesting. Rhino's cheerful nature sure aided in dispelling the gloom that this op brings thats for sure. Though effective at first the Xi sure adapted fast to the brawlers. Guess its never too late for the enemy to deploy new weapons and tactics. Turning the brawlers against them sure was a creative tactic on the Zai's part. The airport though sure was surprisingly empty despite the fact that everything was on. Im curious to see what this mysterious presence within the airport is though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 2019 2:15 PM

May 2018
You got Gripen, Phantom, Eagle and Rhino.....but where the fuck is the Viper?????

Ok so the mission didn't went as planned and Rhino and Gripen got separated so where did Eagle and Phantom went????

I got a funny feeling that Rhino was also affected by that EMPC or whatever that is and has probably made her evil.
Mar 21, 2019 2:38 PM

Mar 2016
I don't know if I just didn't notice before, but the music really helps move the action along. Good episode.
Mar 21, 2019 2:57 PM

Feb 2007
Wait, wait, wait... Kei, why were you the one checking the ladies' WC?
Mar 21, 2019 4:05 PM

Feb 2015
This anime has been better than the MAL score suggests. I mean it could be alot better but in parts it's been pretty good.

This episode on particular the mystery with the airport was pretty cool. Only one episode left but it doesn't feel anywhere near a conclusion.
Mar 21, 2019 4:38 PM

Oct 2007
The brawlers were surprisingly effective, they can fight and shoot down the zai. However, the zai can use EPCM to confuse the brawlers and eventually control them - the american scientist did not expect that..

Empty airport with Gripen, Kei and Rhino... really eerie vibes here. Gives me the sci-fi chills.

Can't wait for next week!!

As for the score, glad I have long ago stopped using MAL scores as a measuring stick for whether an anime should be watched or not.
Mar 21, 2019 4:46 PM

Jul 2017
With the sequence of events now, there reeks an ominous feeling...about Rhino. And...I was right on the money. What a cliffhanger.

With both Eagle and Phantom out of the escape route (and storytelling for now), not even Kei, Gripen and Rhino can afford to be safe without danger.
Mar 21, 2019 5:26 PM
Jan 2019
Is Rhyno bringing something into his hands or is it controlled by Xi rays? What happened to Eagle and Phantom?

In the next chapter Kei loses his memory. Oh, come on!. It is only a hypothesis 😅.
Mar 21, 2019 8:58 PM
Jan 2013
airfoilfan87 said:
The entire ZSPD scene was the part of Unphysical layer something and that Gripen & Kei are still flying in battle ..after the large Standoff EPCM employment...

..an Illusion made by Zai.. Is what I'm thinking...

just a theory... :)
I don't really recall novel reviews pertaining this scene..)

Have you read the novels? Just curious because I would like to know spoilers about Rhino and the ending of the novels
Mar 21, 2019 8:59 PM

Aug 2018
Well, episode 11 was decent, the Brawlers fought very decently but... getting hacked by Zai lol

However I find it weird that Phantom who's supposed ( and she showed she was) the high technology expert / hacker / strategist with a very accurate point of view ; totally forgot that part. Wouldn't she be the one who would actually try to take control over those Brawlers ?

Talking about her : it frustrated me so much that none of the "surviving" squad mentioned Eagle or Phantom's situations. I mean, it was like they did not give a single crap about their mates...

And finally, this airport remains very weird. My thoughts about it : there is something that affects technology and Animas, similar to the "secret attack" they used to control Brawlers. The battle was more like a decoy, Zai's objective would be taking control over Animas to use them as dormant cells. Sent back to their bases, they would collect intel or even sabotage Animas research, etc. Naturally Kei being a human, he is not affected but still receives a weird feeling/vibe. Next episode will give us our answers !

I'm actually gonna miss Girly Air Force when it'll be over. Hoping for a manga adaptation or more screentime, despite it seems unrealistic to me.
OtorezMar 21, 2019 9:02 PM
Mar 21, 2019 11:38 PM

May 2015
Oh yeah that hip music in the beginning...

This is intense. Gripen is sick. Kei loses her now and he's going to be in a lot of trouble...

Well that sucks. They just lost the brawlers...They need to retreat right now...

Good english by Kei, although I doubt anyone from the airport heard him...

That airport is creepy. I think some sort of AI is running it...

Rhino is Zero years old!

That sound is unsettling...

Oh oh...Did the EPCM corrupt Rhino? Something is about to go down...
Mar 22, 2019 3:38 AM

Oct 2007
I think they actually had a chance to win if the Brawlers were not confused. Those things were fighting decently before the Zai did that super EPCM to confuse them.
Mar 22, 2019 6:46 AM
Mar 2017
The offensive to recover China was going very well, the Brawlers fulfilled their purpose, but the Zai had a secret weapon, an EPCM that caused the Brawlers to attack the allies, in addition to the new Zai airship models. Gripen, Kei and Rhino are separated and must do an emergency land at the Shanghai airport and when they land it feels a very strange environment, there is no one at the airport, it is in perfect condition and has electricity and water, something very suspicious.
Then we have Gripen who is very exhausted, which is strange and the surroundings of the airport begin to give me a bad feeling.
It was a surprise to learn that Rhino is practically a newborn, now I begin to understand her personality.
The conversation that Rhino had with Kei made me think that she has a broad world view compared to her age.
The last part left me quite surprised, what happened to Rhino?
Rhino looks like she would do something to Kei, maybe the EPCM also affected her and she will attack him.
Anyway, they left us with a very good cliffhanger and the only thing that can be expected is that Kei, Gripen and Rhino go out save from that situation. The sad thing is that the next episode is the last one.
Mar 22, 2019 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
I really really hate cliffhangers. Now I'll have to wait another ONE WEEK. ;-;
Mar 22, 2019 8:49 AM

Aug 2018
Arikawa-chan said:
I really really hate cliffhangers. Now I'll have to wait another ONE WEEK. ;-;

Indeed, I'm wondering a lot and a lot on how this will happen. But what I hate more than cliffhangers, is that next week features the last episode of Girly Air Force... The plot remains by far not completed and my hopes are looking toward a second season but I doubt it would actually happen.
Mar 22, 2019 3:14 PM

Oct 2015
I wonder where all the people gone to, is my real question from this episode?
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 22, 2019 3:53 PM

Aug 2018
lihle808 said:
I wonder where all the people gone to, is my real question from this episode?

People you are supposed to be in the Airport ? Hum, if I remember correctly, it is situated in China, which is under Zai's control or - at the best - closer than Japan to their territory. Easiest answer would be 'they captured this place and expelled their inhabitants'.

In fact, what bothers me is Zai themselves, because we ain't know shit about them, except that they own a much better technology. However there is nothing said about their motive or objectives...
Mar 23, 2019 6:57 AM

Aug 2018
airfoilfan87 said:

Some chapters I was able to read in some sites. It's in chinese though and thru google translate..

That.. and google translating some of the japanese book reviews.

Did you change your signature's color on purpose or is it just something not related lol ?
Mar 23, 2019 9:22 AM

Dec 2016
This was probably my favorite episode so far, and they did a really good job of creating a tense, uneasy feeling with the empty airport and Rhino's behavior. It was kind of obvious that Rhino would eventually betray them, though I'm guessing this time she is being controlled by the Xi's electronic field or whatever. I also appreciated the carrier take off scene (maybe that was in episode 10, but whatever).

Also Gripen's sleeping face is SO CUTE

What's the difference?
Mar 23, 2019 9:19 PM
Jul 2014
Otorez said:
Well, episode 11 was decent, the Brawlers fought very decently but... getting hacked by Zai lol

However I find it weird that Phantom who's supposed ( and she showed she was) the high technology expert / hacker / strategist with a very accurate point of view ; totally forgot that part. Wouldn't she be the one who would actually try to take control over those Brawlers ?

Talking about her : it frustrated me so much that none of the "surviving" squad mentioned Eagle or Phantom's situations. I mean, it was like they did not give a single crap about their mates...

And finally, this airport remains very weird. My thoughts about it : there is something that affects technology and Animas, similar to the "secret attack" they used to control Brawlers. The battle was more like a decoy, Zai's objective would be taking control over Animas to use them as dormant cells. Sent back to their bases, they would collect intel or even sabotage Animas research, etc.
I'm actually gonna miss Girly Air Force when it'll be over. Hoping for a manga adaptation or more screentime, despite it seems unrealistic to me.

The Brawlers getting hacked by the Zai was the logical outcome of events ever since episode 3 when Phantom used her skills to hack into Grippen's data feeds............

............and so was Rhino being coopted by the Zai, which likely happened shortly after her creation. As I said back during the discussion of episode 3, it was concerning that Phantom could use the Anima network to hack other Anima, because if she could do it then that would be a given for the Zai to be able to do it as well.

It's worth noting that Rhino has been dropping heavy hints that she's working against humanity's interests since the time she met Kei. In particular, her note that she felt "at home in the darkness," and "part of something bigger" during her recounting of her camping trip shortly after her "birth."

Naturally Kei being a human, he is not affected but still receives a weird feeling/vibe. Next episode will give us our answers !

To paraphrase Grippen in "Unphysical Layer," "If you go any further, you won't be able to go back; you'll lose your individuality." As of episode 10, Kei is already heavily linked into the Anima network. While it doesn't affect him in the same way, it's clear that Kei is getting interference from Rhino's use of the unphyiscal layer, in the form of the "fog" which he is already familiar with.
Mar 23, 2019 9:20 PM
Jul 2014
Otorez said:
airfoilfan87 said:

Some chapters I was able to read in some sites. It's in chinese though and thru google translate..

That.. and google translating some of the japanese book reviews.

Did you change your signature's color on purpose or is it just something not related lol ?

He loves dropping hints and spoilers. He also has most of the light novels. Also, it's pretty much guaranteed that Rhino will be the last-boss of the season (with another season planned, of course).
Mar 24, 2019 5:31 AM

Jun 2017
Well, the operation failed, yeah what did we expect. I was also kind of expecting something going wrong with the AI in those Boxers, and there we go, they were controlled by the enemy. I don't know what to make of the last scene. Anyway, I wonder how they plan to wrap all of this up.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Mar 24, 2019 7:10 AM

Aug 2018
firemagnet said:

The Brawlers getting hacked by the Zai was the logical outcome of events ever since episode 3 when Phantom used her skills to hack into Grippen's data feeds............

............and so was Rhino being coopted by the Zai, which likely happened shortly after her creation. As I said back during the discussion of episode 3, it was concerning that Phantom could use the Anima network to hack other Anima, because if she could do it then that would be a given for the Zai to be able to do it as well.

It's worth noting that Rhino has been dropping heavy hints that she's working against humanity's interests since the time she met Kei. In particular, her note that she felt "at home in the darkness," and "part of something bigger" during her recounting of her camping trip shortly after her "birth."

That's an interesting point of view I had not think at all. Well I might be too easy to a character who appears very friendly with a soft look, so I can't deny that she was out of a threat for me. Also, as we learnt previously about Phantom, Animas are meant to serve humanity and aren't supposed to have purpose, so it kinda explains my "choice" to consider her as an ally.

To paraphrase Grippen in "Unphysical Layer," "If you go any further, you won't be able to go back; you'll lose your individuality." As of episode 10, Kei is already heavily linked into the Anima network. While it doesn't affect him in the same way, it's clear that Kei is getting interference from Rhino's use of the unphyiscal layer, in the form of the "fog" which he is already familiar with.

Yeah, that would make sense and it relates properly Kei's dreams. I did not see him extremely linked (there is no external hint) but it looks logical to say that his time spent with Grippen in an Daughter had consequences on him.
Mar 24, 2019 7:15 AM

Aug 2018
firemagnet said:

He loves dropping hints and spoilers. He also has most of the light novels. Also, it's pretty much guaranteed that Rhino will be the last-boss of the season (with another season planned, of course).

I really don't know about Rhino's fate... I interpreted his color changes with the fact she might die or turn completely. Actually this is interesting to see different point of views : he made call for an illusion created by Zai, so Rhino, Kei & Grippen are still on the battlefield. You believe that Rhino is acting against humanity so the battle takes part of her plan. I think they were intentionally sent to this place on purpose by Zai.

3 different options that would all make sense for now. I can't say one's better or worse but it just excited my global curiosity. And my only fear is that we get an answer during next episode but nothing else airs later...
Mar 24, 2019 4:55 PM

Nov 2017
Yeah,would be a shame if this just "ends".Its been really enjoyable so far,and I'd love for another season or even a movie/ova to further give us clues about what the zi are,and what they want.
just as long as they don't do the "after the kiss in the first episode,kei has been in a coma/dead and all this has been his conciousness transfered to the Anima network,blah,blah,blah" crap,that'd really,REALLY tick me off.
On a lighter note,the music and use of music has been top notch.
Would be nice if one of the publishers/fan translation sites picked this up for an english release,I'd like to see where this goes.
Mar 28, 2019 10:13 AM

Aug 2018
Starhammer said:
Yeah,would be a shame if this just "ends".Its been really enjoyable so far,and I'd love for another season or even a movie/ova to further give us clues about what the zi are,and what they want.
just as long as they don't do the "after the kiss in the first episode,kei has been in a coma/dead and all this has been his conciousness transfered to the Anima network,blah,blah,blah" crap,that'd really,REALLY tick me off.
On a lighter note,the music and use of music has been top notch.
Would be nice if one of the publishers/fan translation sites picked this up for an english release,I'd like to see where this goes.

It was so ironic when Key himself declared in episode 12 that he did not know why Zai fought all this time, 'cause we ain't know shit either AND we also would like to know more.

The plot at this stage was globally weak or even inexistant. Like you I expect to learn more later with anything they could add (season or OVA) but I actually doubt it ever happens. Currently, we can only read LN which are translated, but for those who don't want, there's not even a manga release, too bad.
Apr 7, 2019 4:42 AM
Mar 2012
Cool dogfight, expected AI hacking but brawlers did well before that.
The uneasy atmosphere was amazing, just a pristine massive airport all empty, foggy & running is bizarre. Add to that the crushing glass sounds.
And everything Rhino says & does feels like she got an ulterior motive & plan. Kei & Gripen almost seems like trapped in another world.
Apr 7, 2019 9:16 PM
Dec 2011
The abandoned airport with everything still working gave me a strong vibe of The Langoliers. Looks like I was right.
Jun 2, 2020 11:50 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah, the mission got a big mistake. Xi aircrafts had a hacking system to that Brawlers drone, making all the plan be a complete dull. Like Phantom verdict before, all plan become a disaster, Kei got separated, and suddenly Rhino become Xi's too. Its shocking, while i think this show had so much fun and bring the daily cherish moment like other CGDCT's trope. However, this show proved to me to be a unique. The dark tone appear. The mystery in the Xi's teritory make the tone feel real and make it even creppier. Amazing approach. I appreciate the direction here. And yeah, with the help of some foreshadowing event like 3 past beginning episode, all of that sequence makes a sense.

Is that real? Is Kei really need to choose, to become a human, or... like a Xi? A happy ending must be the end, i believe with the preview. Lets see how to flow that thing.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2019

99 by Destroyer31 »»
Sep 27, 2023 10:53 PM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

56 by Curarpikt93 »»
Jun 16, 2021 11:24 AM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2019

18 by Curarpikt93 »»
Jun 16, 2021 7:20 AM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2019

45 by ResaloliPT »»
Feb 14, 2021 5:49 PM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2019

32 by badabass »»
Jun 2, 2020 10:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.